Car subs to garage setup? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Car subs to garage setup?

I have four 15 inch Planet Audio subwoofers in a single box that I used to run off a 1000 watt american legacy amp in my suv.
I sold the suv years ago but held onto the subs and amp. I'm wanting to know how I can set up the subs in my garage for
a garage stereo. I'm not sure what all I'll need to accomplish this but I'm thinking of ordering a receiver off of amazon but
i'm not sure what I'm looking for. The subs are 275W RMS and I'm probably gonna need additional speakers for like mids/highs.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2563658   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0 (1).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	975.4 KB
ID:	2563660  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashtaCross View Post
I have four 15 inch Planet Audio subwoofers in a single box that I used to run off a 1000 watt american legacy amp in my suv.
I sold the suv years ago but held onto the subs and amp. I'm wanting to know how I can set up the subs in my garage for
a garage stereo. I'm not sure what all I'll need to accomplish this but I'm thinking of ordering a receiver off of amazon but
i'm not sure what I'm looking for. The subs are 275W RMS and I'm probably gonna need additional speakers for like mids/highs.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well your going to need a coupe things, first an amp to power the subs. AVR's are not designed to put out that kind of wattage, you could repurpose your current amp, you would need something like an AC to DC converter to power it from a wall socket, or you could pick up an berringer iNuke or whatever the current name for it is to power the subs. Then you have a couple routes, you could get an avr and speakers, or a 2 channel amp with a sub out, it really depends on what your source would be. For a garage set up I would look for a cheap cool running AVR, say in the $300 range give or take, and then a pair of bookshelf or tower speakers for your main speakers. What kind of budget do you have?
post #3 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Well your going to need a coupe things, first an amp to power the subs. AVR's are not designed to put out that kind of wattage, you could repurpose your current amp, you would need something like an AC to DC converter to power it from a wall socket, or you could pick up an berringer iNuke or whatever the current name for it is to power the subs. Then you have a couple routes, you could get an avr and speakers, or a 2 channel amp with a sub out, it really depends on what your source would be. For a garage set up I would look for a cheap cool running AVR, say in the $300 range give or take, and then a pair of bookshelf or tower speakers for your main speakers. What kind of budget do you have?
I would say budget wise I'm looking for around $500. I work out in my garage 3 times a week and currently have an ihome blasting music at max volume and it sounds awful. Other than that I wont be using it too much so I don't need the best stuff. I was looking around online for a bit and seen someone use an Xbox 360 power brick and stripped the wires and used that as a converter for their car amp but I'm not looking to be too janky. I was looking at the Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Receiver on amazon but idk how well that would fit into my future setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would say budget wise I'm looking for around $500. I work out in my garage 3 times a week and currently have an ihome blasting music at max volume and it sounds awful. Other than that I wont be using it too much so I don't need the best stuff. I was looking around online for a bit and seen someone use an Xbox 360 power brick and stripped the wires and used that as a converter for their car amp but I'm not looking to be too janky. I was looking at the Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Receiver on amazon but idk how well that would fit into my future setup.
Well what I would do is first buy and AC to DC converter, you can find them on amazon pretty easily. Next check somewhere like accessories 4 less maybe something like this https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html and the pair it with a pair of the KEF speakers https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...specifications That will put you right about $500 before shipping and not counting the AC to DC converter.
post #5 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 203
You're going to have to spend as much or more on an AC-DC converter that's capable handling the current demands of a car-audio amp as you would for a purpose build sub amp. What is the impedance of the individual woofers? You're probably better of with a plate amp or pro-audio amp for the subs, along with budget stereo or home-theater receiver and some efficient bookshelf speakers. The Yamaha stereo receiver you mentioned is a great deal from AC4L for $99, but to use a pro-audio amp you'll probably want a multi-channel receiver so you'll have an integrated adjustable crossover. If you went with a plate amp, you could use a stereo receiver with line-level outputs to/from the plate-amp and use the amp's onboard crossover. You'll need to make sure the overall impedance of your subs works out to 4ohm for the plate amps to work... you have a little more flexibility there with the pro-audio amps.

I'd personally either be looking at the Yamaha + Behringer KM750 or Denon 540BT + Yung or Bash 300w or 500w plate amp along with some efficient speakers like BIC FH6-LCR or FH-65B, or Monoprice Stage Right 15 if they go on sale again (looks like they're being replaced, so another clearance sale will likely depend on what stock is available). You could also shop used locally on Craig's List or Facebook marketplace for either type receiver and maybe some used speakers, but keep in mind both the Yamaha and Denon mentioned have built-in Bluetooth for a convenient music source from your phone/tablet/etc. I'd also check for local used deals on speakers, like older Klipsch offerings (I'm seeing a pair of older Klipsch Synergy towers for $125, for example).

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify

Last edited by Stephen Hopkins; 05-07-2019 at 02:00 PM.
post #6 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
You're going to have to spend as much or more on an AC-DC converter that's capable handling the current demands of a car-audio amp as you would for a purpose build sub amp. What is the impedance of the individual woofers? You're probably better of with a plate amp or pro-audio amp for the subs, along with budget stereo or home-theater receiver and some efficient bookshelf speakers. The Yamaha stereo receiver you mentioned is a great deal from AC4L for $99, but to use a pro-audio amp you'll probably want a multi-channel receiver so you'll have an integrated adjustable crossover. If you went with a plate amp, you could use a stereo receiver with line-level outputs to/from the plate-amp and use the amp's onboard crossover. You'll need to make sure the overall impedance of your subs works out to 4ohm for the plate amps to work... you have a little more flexibility there with the pro-audio amps.

I'd personally either be looking at the Yamaha + Behringer KM750 or Denon 540BT + Yung or Bash 300w or 500w plate amp along with some efficient speakers like BIC FH6-LCR or FH-65B, or Monoprice Stage Right 15 if they go on sale again (looks like they're being replaced, so another clearance sale will likely depend on what stock is available). You could also shop used locally on Craig's List or Facebook marketplace for either type receiver and maybe some used speakers, but keep in mind both the Yamaha and Denon mentioned have built-in Bluetooth for a convenient music source from your phone/tablet/etc. I'd also check for local used deals on speakers, like older Klipsch offerings (I'm seeing a pair of older Klipsch Synergy towers for $125, for example).
you could be right on the AC-DC converter I wasn't taking into account the current demands
post #7 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, a 12v 5a wall-wart definitely isn't going to cut it. After looking, there are some 12v 20a raw modular power supplies that would probably work, but it's not something I'd want sitting exposed on top of a car amp somewhere in my garage either...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078RTV41D...ing=UTF8&psc=1

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #8 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I just pulled the model number and its P152x-4 . The impedance is 4 ohms per sub.
post #9 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, a 12v 5a wall-wart definitely isn't going to cut it. After looking, there are some 12v 20a raw modular power supplies that would probably work, but it's not something I'd want sitting exposed on top of a car amp somewhere in my garage either...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078RTV41D...ing=UTF8&psc=1
True but he could also disconnect 2 of the subs to lower the power draw as well. 4 15"s is a lot of subs to pair with a pair of bookshelf or cheapish towers lol, but this IS AVS
post #10 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those could be wired in a combination of series and parallel to get a total 4ohm load, so either approach (plate amp or pro-audio amp) would work just fine. Running just 2 subs would give a 2ohm load (or 8ohm load, not optimal) and draw the same or more power and likely stress an amp... 4 drivers with a 4ohm load will be better utilization of amplification and increase overall sensitivity.

If you're feeling industrious, go with the 12v power supply I linked to with your car amp and see how it goes. If nothing else, it might be a fun $22 experiment and there's even Prime shipping available. I realize this is a 180-degree reversal of what I originally said, but I'm nothing if not self-aware. If your car amp has line-level inputs/outputs and a crossover, you could mate it up with the $99 Yamaha stereo receiver and whatever speakers you decide on without issue. If it only has high-level (RCA) inputs and no crossover, you'll want to go with a multi-channel receiver like the Denon.

post #11 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
True but he could also disconnect 2 of the subs to lower the power draw as well. 4 15"s is a lot of subs to pair with a pair of bookshelf or cheapish towers lol, but this IS AVS
I would definitely consider disconnecting 2 or even 3 of them for my garage setup. I just want some bass in my music and a nicer quality setup than an ihome with blown speakers.
post #12 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would definitely consider disconnecting 2 or even 3 of them for my garage setup. I just want some bass in my music and a nicer quality setup than an ihome with blown speakers.
I'd either run 1 or 4 of them... but 4 of them in series/parallel (magic square) is going to be more efficient and you can always turn the amp volume down. Also, if they're all 4 in a shared air-space, the ones that aren't powered would be acting as passive radiators... it's somewhat possible this would work out in your favor, adding extension, but unlikely given they wouldn't be tuned with the correct mass for proper damping and without a high-pass filter your active driver would be open to bottoming out below whatever the (mostly unpredictable) tuning point of the enclosure ended up being.

post #13 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Those could be wired in a combination of series and parallel to get a total 4ohm load, so either approach (plate amp or pro-audio amp) would work just fine. Running just 2 subs would give a 2ohm load (or 8ohm load, not optimal) and draw the same or more power and likely stress an amp... 4 drivers with a 4ohm load will be better utilization of amplification and increase overall sensitivity.

If you're feeling industrious, go with the 12v power supply I linked to with your car amp and see how it goes. If nothing else, it might be a fun $22 experiment and there's even Prime shipping available. I realize this is a 180-degree reversal of what I originally said, but I'm nothing if not self-aware. If your car amp has line-level inputs/outputs and a crossover, you could mate it up with the $99 Yamaha stereo receiver and whatever speakers you decide on without issue. If it only has high-level (RCA) inputs and no crossover, you'll want to go with a multi-channel receiver like the Denon.
Yeah I was going to mention that I came across a few videos of people using that same power supply to power their in home audio setup and I thought that might be what I need. My amps model is American Legacy - LA2389.
post #14 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like the amp does not have high-level inputs/outputs (not that I can see from pictures of it, even though the published specs say it does), so you'd need a multi-channel receiver with subwoofer output. I'd turn the subsonic/high-pass filter all the way down, the low-pass filter all the way up, and let the receiver handle the bass management.

post #15 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks like the amp does not have high-level inputs/outputs (not that I can see from pictures of it, even though the published specs say it does), so you'd need a multi-channel receiver with subwoofer output. I'd turn the subsonic/high-pass filter all the way down, the low-pass filter all the way up, and let the receiver handle the bass management.
Could you recommend a receiver with a subwoofer out?
post #16 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Denon 540BT for $150 refurbished from AC4L would do the trick and has built-in Bluetooth. I'd also check your local used marketplaces (Craig's List, Facebook) for a decent older used receiver... there's an Onkyo SR602 for $50 or Yamaha 5740 for $25 near me, for example. Anything with Dolby Digital will also have the basic built-in bass management you need and can probably be had for $25-$50, but you'll probably want to add a Bluetooth receiver, Chromecast Audio (for Google Cast), or Airport Express (for Apple AirPlay) for convenience.

Last edited by Stephen Hopkins; 05-07-2019 at 02:58 PM.
post #17 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The Denon 540BT for $150 refurbished from AC4L would do the trick and has built-in Bluetooth. I'd also check your local used marketplaces (Craig's List, Facebook) for a decent older used receiver... there's an Onkyo SR602 for $50 or Yamaha 5740 for $25 near me, for example. Anything with Dolby Digital will also have the basic built-in bass management you need and can probably be had for $25-$50, but you'll probably want to add a Bluetooth receiver, Chromecast Audio (for Google Cast), or Airport Express (for Apple AirPlay) for convenience.
Ok so to wrap it all up my setup would be:

4 15'' subwoofers
4000 watt american legacy amp
Alitove DC to AC converter
Denon AVR-S540BT 5.2-Ch x 70 Watts Bluetooth A/V Receiver
a pair of speakers to be named later

are there any special wires/cables I'll need to set it all up?

or will I just be using some different gauges of speaker wire?
post #18 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 482
If you are ordering from Accessories4less they have the nice Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers on sale. Nice sounding too.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...1.html?brand_f[]=BOSTON%20ACOUSTICS
post #19 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nothing special, but you'll probably want to scavenge a relatively beefy power cord (like from a desktop PC) to power the AC-to-DC converter and some color-coded 12awg to go from the converter to the amp. Otherwise, RCA cables and speaker cables.

post #20 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It does have high level inputs, more or less, the red/white RCA plugs on the side are the 2 channels. You just have to know the output level of the source, which would normally be the Car Stereo Head Unit. You just need to know the output level of the source to the amp, it can vary the Input Level (Gain) Control from 6v to 200mV
post #21 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant line-level in/out to use the amp as crossover with a stereo receiver lacking sub output.

post #22 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, that was a typo, I meant line-level in/out to use the amp as crossover with a stereo receiver lacking sub output.
Alright Im gonna make the leap and buy everything and hope I can get it all configured in the end! I'm gonna probably order the Boston Acoustics A25 bookshelf speakers that cocrh mentioned because they're currently buy one get one half off which is pretty nice. I should have leftover RCAs from my previous car setup and I've got tons of psu cords from computers to use for the converter. Thanks for all the guidance!
post #23 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Personally, I'd buy the power converter first and see you can get that working before I invested in the receiver... if it doesn't, you may want to go with the plate amp and Yamaha stereo receiver instead.

post #24 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, I'd personally go for a more efficient speaker and check to see what's available used in your area, but nothing is more subjective around here than speaker choice and I'm sure the Bostons will work well.

post #25 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Personally, I'd buy the power converter first and see you can get that working before I invested in the receiver... if it doesn't, you may want to go with the plate amp and Yamaha stereo receiver instead.
This is the converter I seen recommended in videos: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7CWSCG..._OUlfAb0V7KWD9 I'm not sure on what all the differences are but it seems to have decent reviews.
post #26 of 35 Old 05-07-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The one you linked is more available current and cheaper, I'd go for that one.

post #27 of 35 Old 05-10-2019, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The one you linked is more available current and cheaper, I'd go for that one.
I've got everything hooked up and its working but only 2 of my subs are kicking and its likely bc im not sure how to hook the amp up to the receiver. Am I supposed to use the subwoofer out? Idk where to run the RCAs.

*Edit* I ran the Left RCA to one subwoofer out and ran the Right RCA to the other subwoofer out and they're both working now. I'm not sure if this is the proper way but I'll do some more research in the meantime.

*Edit 2* Everything ran fine for about 2 hours and then the subs started doing a weird wonky bass and then stopped producing sound but they had a weird pulsing effect going on between then. Very slow in and out. I had them on very quiet as well so I wasn't pushing them. Any idea on what may have happened? I didn't try them again yet.

Last edited by SlashtaCross; 05-10-2019 at 04:00 PM.
post #28 of 35 Old 05-10-2019, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Figured I'd post my whole setup and show what I've got going on here. Worked for about 2 hours on low audio and then the subs shut off on me. I let it sit for about an hour and tried again and the subs are still slowly pulsating with no audio. I've looked around online and found a lot of recommendations on "grounding the RCAs"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2565096   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (1).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2565098   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0 (2).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	925.0 KB
ID:	2565100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaerks22.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	2565102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speakers33.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2565104  

post #29 of 35 Old 05-11-2019, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like everything is wired correctly. I'd go ahead and set the amp slider from LPF to full since the receiver is handling all the bass management, but with the LPF turned all the way up it shouldn't really matter and isn't your problem. The pulsating hum sounds like either the Power Supply crapped out or maybe the amp did. Maybe try hooking an analog source directly to the car amp and see if you hear anything different. Also, smell the power supply and see if you smell any burnet electronics and/or peak under the top cover to see if you see any indication that something fried... then do the same for the car amp.

post #30 of 35 Old 05-11-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks like everything is wired correctly. I'd go ahead and set the amp slider from LPF to full since the receiver is handling all the bass management, but with the LPF turned all the way up it shouldn't really matter and isn't your problem. The pulsating hum sounds like either the Power Supply crapped out or maybe the amp did. Maybe try hooking an analog source directly to the car amp and see if you hear anything different. Also, smell the power supply and see if you smell any burnet electronics and/or peak under the top cover to see if you see any indication that something fried... then do the same for the car amp.
The pulsing stops when I flip the switch on the amp that says "subsonic". When it's off the speakers pulsate slowly and when it's on they stop. Someone pointed out that my RCAs are incorrectly installed. Both on the amp and on the receiver. On the amp they should be wired to the LINE IN instead of LINE OUT and as for the receiver end I have been told to get a "1 RCA male to 2 RCA female y splitter adapter" and run my RCAs into 1 sub preout. I ran my subs directly to the receiver and they're still working thankfully. The question is could I have damaged my receiver by plugging in the rcas to both sub pre outs? Could I have messed up my amp with the rcas running from line out instead of line in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page