32Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Bose vs SVS vs RSL - HELP!!

Gents,

First, thanks for taking time and replying back to newbie like me. I have little knowledge about professional aspect of HT systems but I have experienced Bose system in the past and loved its theatrical sound appeal.

With that in mind, I'm looking for $1k-1.5k 5.1 surround sound system to be installed with new TV.

Based on little search on this forum (and similar), it sounds like expert opinion is Bose is bigger brand name but there are better systems available at same price point.

Could you help me with building system that would be great for movies and music? I have open floor room which is about 17x20.

If mix and match of speaker is required I'm open to that idea.

Options I'm evaluating are,

1) Bose Accoustimass 10
2) SVS Prime 5.1
3) RSL CG3 5.1
4) Your custom setup (~$1000+)

Please let me know which system is better or I should just trust and go with brand name like Bose. Thanks for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-08-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
I’d take the RSL system, easily over the Bose, and over the SVS.

You’ll need a receiver to power it all, I recommend a Denon X1400H on clearance.

If you have any extra spare money, look to double your subs, get a second Speedwoofer 10S.
Summa, joewerda, drh3b and 1 others like this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 180
What he said. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say anything bad about RSL speakers.

Pioneer SC-95, 2x Crown XLS 1000 (LCR amps)
3x Epos Epic 2(LCR), 4x Emotiva UAW 6.2(Surrounds), 4x Aperion Intimus LC-I6(Atmos/DTS:X)
2x Dayton Ultimax 18" sealed(subs), Behringer Inuke 6000DSP(sub amp),
Vizio P-65C1 LED HDR
Oppo UDP-203 HD-Blu Ray Player, Oppo DV971H DVD Player, Roku Premiere+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I agreee with the above posts but if you don't mind the older look you can get a 5.1 setup with 5 of the old RSL CG23's and a sub for about $1200. If you want the new look speakers then you should at least get the CG23 upgrade for about $50 more rather than the special edition setup. The CG23 5.1 package with 3 CG23's + 2 CG3's for surrounds would be my preferred if you want the new cabinets but the old CG23 speaker package will provide better and performance. A second speed woofer sub is a very good idea if you can squeeze it into your budget but I would start with one.

I would also read the speaker manual and check out the RSL thread because speaker break in time is very real with the RSL speakers.
post #5 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
[QUOTE=svusa;58020326]Gents,

First, thanks for taking time and replying back to newbie like me. I have little knowledge about professional aspect of HT systems but I have experienced Bose system in the past and loved its theatrical sound appeal.

With that in mind, I'm looking for $1k-1.5k 5.1 surround sound system to be installed with new TV.

Based on little search on this forum (and similar), it sounds like expert opinion is Bose is bigger brand name but there are better systems available at same price point.

Could you help me with building system that would be great for movies and music? I have open floor room which is about 17x20.

1) Bose Accoustimass 10
2) SVS Prime 5.1
3) RSL CG3 5.1

If you're not opposed to building up over time, you'll end up with good quality components you'll be happy with for many years.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...N-Command.html
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-t1
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-c1
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
You can check out HSU packages as well.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html
TP stands available if you want the tower look.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...stlcmt340.html
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...c/cmt340c.html
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...ubs/lv12f.html
You can add surrounds later.
If you want better room correction, pre-outs for external amps and dual sub eq, this Denon is at a decent price.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...02R1-_-Product
d-rail34 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8580 Post(s)
Liked: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by svusa View Post
Gents,

1) Bose Accoustimass 10
2) SVS Prime 5.1
3) RSL CG3 5.1

Please let me know which system is better or I should just trust and go with brand name like Bose. Thanks for your feedback.
Where are you located in case there is a local speaker maker near you or an excellent well known retailer.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked: 2348
3. RSL. The other two are marketing driven companies, whose bark is far superior to their bite.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg3...heater-system/

Since music is an important aspect to you, I am recommending the CG3 package (with CG23 center) over the all CG23 package, as the CG23 has a slight frequency response bump in the vocal region (which makes dialog more understandable), but the flatter frequency response of the CG3 would be better for music listening.
Rgarc, d-rail34 and drh3b like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-09-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #8 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Gents,

1) Bose Accoustimass 10
2) SVS Prime 5.1
3) RSL CG3 5.1

I'd get the identical to the new CG23 but with different cabinet aesthetic RSL CG23 5.1 bundle for $1199 .

That gives you a total of 10 woofers vs 5 for the new CG3 system using five CG3s or six woofers if you use the new CG23 as a center and for about the same money.

So essentially that system will have more dynamic potential than the other RSL alternatives within your budget.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...heater-system/

Denon 1400.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...ch=av+receiver
18Hurts and Squirrel! like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2681 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
3. RSL. The other two are marketing driven companies, whose bark is far superior to their bite.

Since music is an important aspect to you, I am recommending the CG3 package (with CG23 center) over the all CG23 package, as the CG23 has a slight frequency response bump in the vocal region (which makes dialog more understandable), but the flatter frequency response of the CG3 would be better for music listening.
Quite unfair and really inappropriate to link SVS with Bose. All SVS products offer excellent performance. All SVS products measure well. While their subs don't have the output of other subs in their price class the SVS subs overall measurements are as good when factoring in everything not just peak output. Their speakers all measure and test well even within their price class.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #10 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Quite unfair and really inappropriate to link SVS with Bose. All SVS products offer excellent performance. All SVS products measure well. While their subs don't have the output of other subs in their price class the SVS subs overall measurements are as good when factoring in everything not just peak output. Their speakers all measure and test well even within their price class.

I wonder why people have so much trouble with the Prime Bookshelves.

I don’t think people would find them bright or grainy if they measured well.
RayGuy likes this.

post #11 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I wonder why people have so much trouble with the Prime Bookshelves.

I don’t think people would find them bright or grainy if they measured well.
I know there's a review with measurements out there for the bookshelf but I can't find it right now. Here's one for the towers. Same tweeter- bottom line +-2db 37hz-20khz on axis.

https://hometheaterreview.com/svs-pr...viewed/?page=2

"The Prime Tower has one of the flattest responses, on-axis and off, I've seen in a $1,000/pair tower speaker. There are some identifiable sonic characteristics, most notably a rise in response between 2.5 and 8 kHz that might make the speaker sound a little bright. But generally, this should be one of the most transparent-sounding speakers in its price range."

So maybe those that are complaining are used to warmer or dull sounding speakers. To each their own. But it's still far from being screeching like one infamous long gone poster used to constantly state.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
post #12 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
So true. I should not have done that to Bose!

d-rail34 likes this.

post #13 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Russdawg1
Utopianemo
Rgarc
pase22
gajCA
RayGuy
gajCA
Kini62

THANKS GUYS!!

Lots of good info to digest Quick question about RSL, in some other thread it was referenced subwoofer could be replaced with something better. I'm not sure how much it makes difference in a reality. Do you guys think it will be worth exploring different sub?

Also, I read somewhere about different Ohms for different speakers, since I'll need to complement system with good receiver, could there be compatibility issue or most modern receivers are compatible with speaker system referenced in the thread?

I have some flexibility in the budget but not sure if I should spend upwards of 2k just on home theater system hence trying to find good system between 1k-1.5k.

Cheers
post #14 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Russdawg1

Utopianemo

Rgarc

pase22

gajCA

RayGuy

gajCA

Kini62

THANKS GUYS!!

Lots of good info to digest Quick question about RSL, in some other thread it was referenced subwoofer could be replaced with something better. I'm not sure how much it makes difference in a reality. Do you guys think it will be worth exploring different sub?

Also, I read somewhere about different Ohms for different speakers, since I'll need to complement system with good receiver, could there be compatibility issue or most modern receivers are compatible with speaker system referenced in the thread?

I have some flexibility in the budget but not sure if I should spend upwards of 2k just on home theater system hence trying to find good system between 1k-1.5k.

Cheers

So regarding the subwoofer, that 10S is a great subwoofer for the price. You’d need to spend upwards of $600 on a different brand sub to get noticeably better performance. That is why I recommended if you have more budget, a second 10S should be high on your list. It provides up to 6dB more bass, and evens out room response (you won’t get massive bass in one spot and then move over 2 feet and get no bass).

As for your receiver, the next step up would be a Denon X3400. That costs quite a bit more than a X1400 and wouldn’t provide nearly as much of a benefit as another 10S subwoofer.

You are sitting in a great value spot, great performance for not too much money. I think you’ll be happy with this setup.

post #15 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

also, one more question about AVR-X1400H.

spect. suggest it includes microphone stand and assembly. Also, seems like you could play songs from phone over bluetooth or airplay.

My family is big on Karaoke, can I use system as Karaoke? (streaming song over bluetooth while using microphone)

may be I'm over thinking..
post #16 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bose vs SVS vs RSL - HELP!!

Quote:
also, one more question about AVR-X1400H.

spect. suggest it includes microphone stand and assembly. Also, seems like you could play songs from phone over bluetooth or airplay.

My family is big on Karaoke, can I use system as Karaoke? (streaming song over bluetooth while using microphone)

may be I'm over thinking..

Nope, sorry. You’ll need some sort of external mixer/karaoke thing.

The mic is for using Audessey Room EQ. Make sure when you run it, to change dynamic EQ off, turn the bass up if you feel it lacking, and then also change all speakers to large and the crossovers to 80hz, surrounds and Atmos to 120hz. Or play around with it to find a setting you like most.

post #17 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Russdawg1
Utopianemo
Rgarc
pase22
gajCA
RayGuy
gajCA
Kini62

THANKS GUYS!!

Cheers
For a $100 more the SVS PB1000 and Monoprice Monolith 10 are better overall subs, mainly because they offer more output under 30hz. Both are pretty solid to 20hz. So if your listening distance isn't too far and or the room isn't too large you'll get a little better HT experience. Up to you if it's worth the extra $100.

Monoprice has been running some discounts and for a few days the Mono 10 was available for $375 after discount.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
post #18 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

yeah , svs is junk, all marketing ....lol.. too funny
post #19 of 36 Old 05-09-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2982
Quote:
Gents,

1) Bose Accoustimass 10
2) SVS Prime 5.1
3) RSL CG3 5.1

First, remove the Bose from your list. Not even close to the SVS and RSL.
As a side note, Bose is All Marketing. They spend more than all Audio Company Combine Together. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." And been there, for the once

Between the next two contender, RSL have lots of value for the money. Just no idea about there Customer Service if you have problem with them.
While some figure, SVS is overprice. Their Customer Service is Outstanding!!!

In your case, do a lot of reading between the two. Before clicking on the Buy Button.
This forums and the search button (not only this forum) can be your best friend, for pro and more important customer reviews and impressions.
Than choose your poison, RSL for the value or the SVS for excellent Customer Service

Ray
svusa likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 05-09-2019 at 08:21 PM.
post #20 of 36 Old 05-10-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 2017
Well, in terms of SVS, my friend Ray owned the AA CMT340 for about 5 years before upgraditis hit him. SVS shipped him prime and Ultra bookshelves fora trial run...he listened for a couple weeks...I listened for a couple hours one night. no double blind or even single blind, just play the same music tracks on each speaker (including the AA 340s).
here were his conclusions, which i agree with in my much shorter listen.
1. Primes were too BRIGHT! After about 30 min, we were both done. (Ray room not accoustically treated...windows, hardwood floors, so this likely made they worse)
2. Ultras won overall, slightly better than the AA CMT340...but Ray decided not enough improvement for the price difference (almost 2x more expensive).
In the end, both SVS offerings got shipped back and he ended up jumping his budget up and got the AA Sierras...
darthray likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #21 of 36 Old 05-10-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

RSL's customer service is top notch. If you are interested in their products I would call or email them directly. They are very honest about their products and will even suggest other brands if they feel they will be a better fit for your situation. They offer a 30 day trial period with free return shipping if you are not satistfied while SVS offers 45 days with the same shipping policies. For a 5.1 setup in the $1K-$2K range I would give the advantage to RSL, especially if you can step up all or some of the fronts to the CG5/CG25 line. Above $2k I would say CG5 series with a Rhythmik sub; or a step-up HSU or SVS if mainly for HT. SVS make more sense to me if you are playing in their Ultra series budget range. However, once you go above $2K there are a lot of great options available so you can find exactly what you want.

There are other great players in this game but RSL and SVS's return policy make them a lower risk to audition than other companies.
darthray, svusa and yanks1 like this.

Last edited by Rgarc; 05-10-2019 at 12:15 PM.
post #22 of 36 Old 05-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Russdawg1
Utopianemo
Rgarc
pase22
gajCA
RayGuy
gajCA
Kini62

THANKS GUYS!!

Cheers
RSL offers free returns if not happy and if you buy the receiver from Crutchfield you can return for $10 return shipping cost so very little financial risk there.

As to subs, here is info, pay special attention to cabinet size as some of the excellent ported subs are very large.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE:
*THE LARGER PORTED SUBS DELIVER AT LEAST 40% MORE SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL
THAN THE SAME BRAND'S SEALED VERSION WITH SAME SIZE WOOFER AND AMP
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE
*BEFORE BUYING MAKE A CARDBOARD CUTOUT OF THE SIZE OF THE SUB TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO LARGE FOR YOU
Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.
Warranty
for AMP
1 year 150watts =12w7h24d= 25 lbs 8" [23hz] $219 EARTHQUAKE LOW PROFILE CP8 (Amazon price)

2 years 350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

2 years 250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

5 years 300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

5 years 500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

3 years 300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $569 RHYTHMIK LV12F

2 years 350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)
* = shipping weight

SEALED SUBWOOFERS $650 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

3 years 300watts =12w13h13d= 27 lbs 10" [24hz] $399 MARTIN LOGAN DYNAMO 700W, limited time offer Amazon.
NOTE: WIRELESS TRANSMITTER INCLUDED

5 years 300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)

5 years 500watts =13w16h21d= 50 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH MTS10 THX

3 years 300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12

5 years 500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
* = shipping weight
svusa, Pennhaven and darthray like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #23 of 36 Old 05-10-2019, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

so you guys convinced me to throw Bose out of the picture.

Now it is RSL vs SVS. It seems like both Brands are good for 1.5K systems.

I have few questions if someone can help..

1) which is better touch n feel/looking speaker or both are somewhat same?

2) My surround sound speakers will be mounted about 10 ft high, it is open floor plan family room (aprox 17x19), any directional mounting system which could point speakers at angle?

I'm going to call both companies to listen to their positive story before making a final decision.

For receiver I like Denon 1400/1500 series.

Thanks!!
darthray likes this.

Last edited by svusa; 05-10-2019 at 03:17 PM.
post #24 of 36 Old 05-10-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Denon receiver is an excellent choice.

I think the look of the new RSL's is a much cleaner look. If you go with one of the Piano finishes on the SVS's primes I think they look a lot better than their ash black but will cost a little extra. You can buy wall mounts to angle your surrounds down to the listening area but you might be interested in checking out the SVS Prime Elevation speakers for the surrounds in your case because you can flat mount them on the wall and they will angle down to the listening plane.
svusa likes this.
post #25 of 36 Old 05-10-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RSL is prettier, but if you want pretty, look at Q Acoustics.
svusa likes this.

post #26 of 36 Old 05-10-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so you guys convinced me to throw Bose out of the picture.

Now it is RSL vs SVS. It seems like both Brands are good for 1.5K systems.

I have few questions if someone can help..

1) which is better touch n feel/looking speaker or both are somewhat same?

2) My surround sound speakers will be mounted about 10 ft high, it is open floor plan family room (aprox 17x19), any directional mounting system which could point speakers at angle?

I'm going to call both companies to listen to their positive story before making a final decision.

For receiver I like Denon 1400/1500 series.

Thanks!!
SVS has those;
https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation

I got 4 of them for ceiling duty, and can also be mounted for surrounds duty.
Got some pictures on my Theater thread (page 3);
The Chimaera theater

Ray
svusa likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 05-11-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #27 of 36 Old 05-10-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Well, in terms of SVS, my friend Ray owned the AA CMT340 for about 5 years before upgraditis hit him. SVS shipped him prime and Ultra bookshelves fora trial run...he listened for a couple weeks...I listened for a couple hours one night. no double blind or even single blind, just play the same music tracks on each speaker (including the AA 340s).
here were his conclusions, which i agree with in my much shorter listen.
1. Primes were too BRIGHT! After about 30 min, we were both done. (Ray room not accoustically treated...windows, hardwood floors, so this likely made they worse)
2. Ultras won overall, slightly better than the AA CMT340...but Ray decided not enough improvement for the price difference (almost 2x more expensive).
In the end, both SVS offerings got shipped back and he ended up jumping his budget up and got the AA Sierras...
LOL
Your post about your friend is right after my post, that I also sign as Ray
Maybe I should start signing mine as Darth

Darth
svusa likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 05-10-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #28 of 36 Old 05-11-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 2017
Are you suggesting a "ray" of sunshine!?
svusa likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #29 of 36 Old 05-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Russdawg1
Utopianemo
Rgarc
pase22
gajCA
RayGuy
gajCA
Kini62

THANKS GUYS!!

Cheers
Are you near any of these locations?

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN
NHT NEAR SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA
OHM BROOKLYN NEW YORK
PSA NEAR YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
RBH NEAR SALT LAKE CITY UTAH
RHYTHMIK SUBS NEAR AUSTIN TEXAS
RSL* NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
SALK AUDIO PONTIAC MICHIGAN
SEATON SOUND NEAR CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
SVS* YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
TEKTON NEAR PROVO UTAH
TRIAD PORTLAND OREGON
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY
WORLDWIDE STEREO*** NEAR PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA

* free return shipping
**Ascend also carries Rhythmik subwoofers on site
***retail outlet of many brands
svusa likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #30 of 36 Old 05-11-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Bose has never been a remote factor for me. My experience is as follows:
My living room is around 10 feet by 20 feet but the actual viewing area is around 10x14. The room can't accommodate tower speakers so I've always had smaller satellite systems. I originally had four SVS Prime satellites with the SVS Prime Center. The system was mated to an SVS SB12-NSD sub. It was very good but the center could get a bit thick or muddy on dialogue at times. The center is on the lower shelf of my AV stand and that can always present challenges. I decided to try some RSL speakers, getting three CG23s for the center and fronts and two CG3s for the surrounds. I found the RSLs to be cleaner than the SVSs. The CG23 center was more consistent with clear dialogue than the SVS Prime center was. I really liked the way CD music sounded using the stereo 2.1 setup (my Dolby Surround Up-mixer can sometimes add a mild echo to two channel music). I added a pair of older Energy speakers as front heights and that give me more immersive sound. Auydessy did an excellent room calibration and I've been very happy with the system. I ended up returning the SVS Primes in what was a smooth, seamless process. Out of curiosity I got an RSL Speedwoofer 10S and ran A-B comparisons between it and my SVS SB12 Sub (using my Denon X4500's save and restore functions). The 10s is an excellent sub for its price but I found that I liked the SVS SB12 a bit more. It had a more solid sound and pumped out more bass at lower volume levels. I did keep the RSL sub as back-up or for future use. Overall, for me, the RSLs proved to be more bang for the buck than the SVSs. Both companies, however, are excellent with no nonsense 30 day return policies and outstanding customer support. Depending on your room and its acoustics either one's speakers could do the job for you.
pase22, gajCA and svusa like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bose , Home Theater , rsl , Svs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page