Completing my home theater set up with recommendations needed for surround, ceiling, - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 52 Old 05-10-2019, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Completing my home theater set up with recommendations needed for surround, ceiling,

Folks - I am starting a new thread as the previous thread for my search around front center, right and left speakers has concluded in me ordering the JBL Studio 590s. I would like to thank all AVS members who helped me for this.

I have attached the layout of my room. The plan is as follows. I will be doing an Acoustically transparent screen with the three JBLs behind the screen. On the picture below, this will be about 2 feet from the wall on the front. This will give me about 13.5 feet from the acoustically transparent screen to the back wall.

I had a total budget of $3k for speakers, receiver and subwoofer. After spending for the JBLs, I have $1600. I am interested in hearing your opinion on the following questions.

But before we start, the obvious question is why I am not selecting the JBL 210 for my surrounds and the answer to that is because the speakers are too large in size for my room dimensions below. The dimensions of the speaker are 10 1/16 (W) x 10 1/4 (H) x 5 3/4 (D). I would really appreciate if you can take into account my room dimensions while replying below.

1. If I want to prewire for Dolby Atmos, should I go with a 5.2.2, 5.2.4, 7.2.2 or 7.2.4 configuration?

2. Based on the answer to question 1, can you recommend speakers for surround and Atmos that will leave me room in the budget to still buy a receiver and subwoofer? I saw a number of speaker pairs being offered around $200. The JBL 210 is on sale at Amazon for a pair at $175 now. I would have bought this if not for the size. So based on intelligent investment in the right speaker, I will have money left over for the sub and receiver if I can spot a good deal. As examples,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A5XNEPY..._htu1CbQZB10Q1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00067OLOS..._lvu1CbBT9CV2R

3. If the budget would be tight to buy both receiver and subwoofer, the order of priority in what I can give up is a subwoofer as I have an existing MLT2 (Martin Logan) subwoofer I could use to start with and later build on top but ideally I would like to get surrounds, ceiling, subwoofer and receiver within the $1600.

4. Do I need special speaker for Atmos or normal ceiling speakers would do? Example below.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YPS6T6..._Fuu1CbPK79BYZ

5. Do I need a 7, 9 or 11 channel receiver. Found an Onkyo 9.2 for $500 below.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVP44NL..._cwu1CbA8MNTJE

6. Finally if after all the above I will still have money left over, please let me know a good sub. If this is not an adequate budget let me know if I can reuse my existing MLT2 speakers and sub without investing in new ones.

Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by genaccmiller; 05-10-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 05-10-2019, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Folks - 11 hours and no responses yet. Please help.

post #3 of 52 Old 05-10-2019, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have almost the exact same equipment and I just finished putting together my 7.0.4 system. I also have the 590s for fronts and needed very slim onwall speakers to prevent my kids from smashing their heads into onwall speakers. I ended up going with two pairs of KEF T101 for the bed surrounds and two pairs of the Micca speakers you linked to. I found the KEFs for about $300 a pair.

If you want to go with a 7.x.4 setup, you'll need 11 channels of power and that will break your $1600 budget if you get an 11 channel receiver. I'd look into getting the Micca ceiling speakers, KEF T101 speakers, a 9 channel amp and an extra 2 channel amp. After cables, see what you have left over for a sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 05-10-2019, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Wire for at least 5.2.4. With a limited budget, you might fit a receiver and sub. I'd go with a denon x4400h from ac4less for $750 and a Hsu VTF3 Mk5 for $800. It'll be slightly over your budget with tax and shipping. Use your old speakers for surround duties until you can get new ones.

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
post #5 of 52 Old 05-10-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn333 View Post
Wire for at least 5.2.4. With a limited budget, you might fit a receiver and sub. I'd go with a denon x4400h from ac4less for $750 and a Hsu VTF3 Mk5 for $800. It'll be slightly over your budget with tax and shipping. Use your old speakers for surround duties until you can get new ones.

I second the Denon X4400h recommendation. It's a 9 channel AVR but can process 11 channels, so that means you can add an external amp later to get those two extra channels and finish out your setup. So, if you go with the Denon, you would start out with a 5.1.4 setup (5 base channels + 4 atmos channels), then when you add an amp later, you could expand it to a 7.1.4 setup with the rear surrounds. You can go ahead and pre-wire for 7.1.4 but don't need those rear surrounds initially, as the side surrounds should have you covered for awhile. I added an Outlaw Model 5000 5 channel amp later on in my setup and powered all the base speakers with that, then added the rear surrounds to the setup, so that the Denon only has to power the 4 atmos speakers + the 2 rear surrounds. For my atmos speakers, I went with Focal Sibs (on-wall / on-ceiling type of speakers), which are about 100 dollars each, and they do a pretty good job, but there are obviously a lot of options out there.
post #6 of 52 Old 05-10-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked: 2479
As per my previous posts...

Marantz SR6013 with 3 years total warranty. It's the sister to the Denon 4400, but you get two extra years warranty for $50 more. Extra peace of mind:

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

I do keep mentioning that you shouldn't try to cram everything into your remaining $1,600 budget and instead piecemeal it. You will get much, much better gear if you buy over a little span of time.

If you are completely unsure as to your surrounds due to not visualizing what you need or what will marry with the 590's the best... wire for 7.2.4 and use your current surrounds as a temp fix.

Get four RSL in-ceilings for your overheads as you gain angled drivers that can be aimed closer to the main listening position. That's good for lower ceilings. They are MUCH better speakers than the Mica's. Better bass, better presence.

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

Then use your current subwoofer.

BAM! You have a 5.1.4 setup within the $1,600. Yes, it's temporary, but then we can discuss future upgrades. Correct decisions for projector and screen take a bit of time and planning. Save up in the meantime.

Again, I will be blunt... it's impossible to get everything else with $1,600 unless you SEVERELY compromise. You bought some spectacular front speakers, so don't drop the ball now.

As for your room dimensions, I would go with one prime front row of seating, especially with a false wall. If you need a couple overflow seats in the back on a small riser, just remember that they will be up near the back wall and those won't be prime seats.

I would put the screen on the ~12' wide wall. You have more space to spread out your 590 speakers, for one thing.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-10-2019 at 04:56 PM.
post #7 of 52 Old 05-11-2019, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn333 View Post
Can I use my old sub too?

post #8 of 52 Old 05-11-2019, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I second the Denon X4400h recommendation. It's a 9 channel AVR but can process 11 channels, so that means you can add an external amp later to get those two extra channels and finish out your setup. So, if you go with the Denon, you would start out with a 5.1.4 setup (5 base channels + 4 atmos channels), then when you add an amp later, you could expand it to a 7.1.4 setup with the rear surrounds. You can go ahead and pre-wire for 7.1.4 but don't need those rear surrounds initially, as the side surrounds should have you covered for awhile. I added an Outlaw Model 5000 5 channel amp later on in my setup and powered all the base speakers with that, then added the rear surrounds to the setup, so that the Denon only has to power the 4 atmos speakers + the 2 rear surrounds. For my atmos speakers, I went with Focal Sibs (on-wall / on-ceiling type of speakers), which are about 100 dollars each, and they do a pretty good job, but there are obviously a lot of options out there.
Hello - thanks. So you are saying I don't need to have the x.2.y set up from two subs? Also if the Denon supports 11 channels why will I need to buy an extra amp? I have never purchased from accessories4less. Is it safe to buy a used item?

post #9 of 52 Old 05-11-2019, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
As per my previous posts...

Marantz SR6013 with 3 years total warranty. It's the sister to the Denon 4400, but you get two extra years warranty for $50 more. Extra peace of mind:

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

I do keep mentioning that you shouldn't try to cram everything into your remaining $1,600 budget and instead piecemeal it. You will get much, much better gear if you buy over a little span of time.

If you are completely unsure as to your surrounds due to not visualizing what you need or what will marry with the 590's the best... wire for 7.2.4 and use your current surrounds as a temp fix.

Get four RSL in-ceilings for your overheads as you gain angled drivers that can be aimed closer to the main listening position. That's good for lower ceilings. They are MUCH better speakers than the Mica's. Better bass, better presence.

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

Then use your current subwoofer.

BAM! You have a 5.1.4 setup within the $1,600. Yes, it's temporary, but then we can discuss future upgrades. Correct decisions for projector and screen take a bit of time and planning. Save up in the meantime.

Again, I will be blunt... it's impossible to get everything else with $1,600 unless you SEVERELY compromise. You bought some spectacular front speakers, so don't drop the ball now.

As for your room dimensions, I would go with one prime front row of seating, especially with a false wall. If you need a couple overflow seats in the back on a small riser, just remember that they will be up near the back wall and those won't be prime seats.

I would put the screen on the ~12' wide wall. You have more space to spread out your 590 speakers, for one thing.
Yes the plan is to have the acoustic screen set about 2-3 feet from the end across the 12 feet wall. The way it will be done is I will have thin panels on left, right, top and bottom and a big screen in the front. This will enable me to watch the 16:9 or other format videos and increase or decrease the viewing size of the video based on comfort. I have never purchased refurbished gear before. For $800 am I not taking a risk? Should I just buy a new receiver? Also it will be a. 7.1.2 and not a 5.2.4 right? 3 590s in the front, 4 MLT 2 surrounds, 1 MLT subwoofer and 2 Atmos speakers. Do I need to install 4 Atmos even though I prewire for Atmos speakers are $125 a piece. Isn't this a bit high for ceiling? Whats the issue with the micas?

Last edited by genaccmiller; 05-11-2019 at 03:19 AM.
post #10 of 52 Old 05-11-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Hello - thanks. So you are saying I don't need to have the x.2.y set up from two subs? Also if the Denon supports 11 channels why will I need to buy an extra amp? I have never purchased from accessories4less. Is it safe to buy a used item?

Sorry, if you want two subs, then yes, you will need two RCA cables to connect from the receiver sub outs to the subwoofers, but that's different than prewiring for speakers. As for the Denon, it has 9 amps for powering 9 channels, but the processor within the receiver can support/process 11 channels (the additional 2 channels would need to be externally powered by a different amp). As for accessories4less, yes, they are very safe to purchase from. They are based out of Orlando, FL I believe.
post #11 of 52 Old 05-11-2019, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got a Marantz 6012 from A4L and it's been great. Still has the manufacturers warranty. They're refurbs, so I wouldn't say they're "used" necessarily. I've bought alot of refurb gear and never once had a problem (tablets, AVRs, phones, etc.). Some will argue that refurbs undergo more vigorous testing and already have the kinks worked out, which has been my experience. If it comes with a MFR warranty, what have you got to lose anyway? You can even hit up eBay and get some great gear for very little $$. Case-in-point, I picked up over $4k worth of mint condition speakers over time for <$800. I agree with others, if you simply must buy new, pay now or pay later. It's better to add/upgrade over time. Also, I'd spend most of that $1600 budget on speakers/subwoofer.
post #12 of 52 Old 05-11-2019, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I would also recommend a 5.2.4 setup if you can properly space it out. I have a SVS subwoofer (sb 2000) which was an amazing upgrade her from from my previous polk subwoofer. I don't rec spending too much money on ceiling speakers as they're not always working.
post #13 of 52 Old 05-11-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Yes the plan is to have the acoustic screen set about 2-3 feet from the end across the 12 feet wall. The way it will be done is I will have thin panels on left, right, top and bottom and a big screen in the front. This will enable me to watch the 16:9 or other format videos and increase or decrease the viewing size of the video based on comfort. I have never purchased refurbished gear before. For $800 am I not taking a risk? Should I just buy a new receiver? Also it will be a. 7.1.2 and not a 5.2.4 right? 3 590s in the front, 4 MLT 2 surrounds, 1 MLT subwoofer and 2 Atmos speakers. Do I need to install 4 Atmos even though I prewire for Atmos speakers are $125 a piece. Isn't this a bit high for ceiling? Whats the issue with the micas?

If you can shake a few more funds loose you could go with this brand new Denon 6400H that has all 11 channels of amplification built-in (it's a 7.2.4 receiver - processing for 7 lower level speakers, 2 sub outputs, 4 overheads), so there is no need to purchase an extra power amp for any of the 11 main speakers. Full 3 year warranty. Dolby Atmos, DTS: X, and Auro3D on-board.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eos-new/1.html

Then get the RSL in-ceiling's as I mentioned.

$125 per in-ceiling speaker actually isn't too bad considering many here would easily spend $800 each for KEF THX coaxial speakers. There are Power Sound Audio speaker customers who have purchased the RSL in-ceiling's as I mentioned and they were able to blend with speakers that get A LOT louder than the JBL 590's. You're paying for dual woofers, a robust dome tweeter, quality cross-over board, and a built-in angled baffle that can aim the drivers to fire towards the main listening position. Since your overheads will be a little lower than normal (8 feet or higher is considered standard for Atmos), you probably don't necessarily want speakers that fire directly down at the floor. You do want overheads (and surrounds, but that's for another time) that won't be totally obscured by powerful front speakers.

The Micas are fine for light ambient music in a kitchen, dining room, or bathroom, but they lack the KICK for full-throated Dolby Atmos tracks. Their drivers aren't as rugged.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-11-2019 at 07:11 AM.
post #14 of 52 Old 05-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I just don't think your sub is very good. The Hsu will do a better job by itself and your current sub will not be able to keep up with it. Ac4l is a reputable vendor. As others have said, the 4400 can process 11 channels but only has amplification for 9, good enough for 5.2.4. And yes, 4 atmos is much better than 2.
sigpig likes this.

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
post #15 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you can shake a few more funds loose you could go with this brand new Denon 6400H that has all 11 channels of amplification built-in (it's a 7.2.4 receiver - processing for 7 lower level speakers, 2 sub outputs, 4 overheads), so there is no need to purchase an extra power amp for any of the 11 main speakers. Full 3 year warranty. Dolby Atmos, DTS: X, and Auro3D on-board.

$125 per in-ceiling speaker actually isn't too bad considering many here would easily spend $800 each for KEF THX coaxial speakers. There are Power Sound Audio speaker customers who have purchased the RSL in-ceiling's as I mentioned and they were able to blend with speakers that get A LOT louder than the JBL 590's. You're paying for dual woofers, a robust dome tweeter, quality cross-over board, and a built-in angled baffle that can aim the drivers to fire towards the main listening position. Since your overheads will be a little lower than normal (8 feet or higher is considered standard for Atmos), you probably don't necessarily want speakers that fire directly down at the floor. You do want overheads (and surrounds, but that's for another time) that won't be totally obscured by powerful front speakers.

The Micas are fine for light ambient music in a kitchen, dining room, or bathroom, but they lack the KICK for full-throated Dolby Atmos tracks. Their drivers aren't as rugged.
Dan - are you still maintaining your recommendations for the rsl? Also when you count the number of channels a receiver can support, do you also count the sub? One final thing. Does it make sense wiring for a 7.2.4 but starting off with a 9 channel receiver supporting 5.2.4 and slowly add an amp as I go to 7.2.4?

Last edited by genaccmiller; 05-15-2019 at 03:15 PM.
post #16 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Dan - are you still maintaining your recommendations for the rsl? Also when you count the number of channels a receiver can support, do you also count the sub? One final thing. Does it make sense wiring for a 7.2.4 but starting off with a 9 channel receiver supporting 5.2.4 and slowly add an amp as I go to 7.2.4?

Yes on the RSL's.

You count the sub outs even though they are one low bass channel (LFE channel plus summed bass managed low frequency audio filtered from the other speakers). 2 sub outs on a quality receiver like a Denon or Marantz, usually means it can calibrate two subs in a room.

A 7.2.4 receiver can downconvert to 5.2.4 and is ready to rock once you add more speakers to a room wired for 7.2.4. A 5.2.4 receiver that does not specifically state it can process 7.2.4 with an added amp cannot be upgraded.

The Denon 6400 has the 11 main channel amps built in. Subs normally have amps already installed, as you know.

post #17 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Folks - the following receiver seems to be on sale. Is it a good deal?

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mo...urce=prodClass

post #18 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Folks - the following receiver seems to be on sale. Is it a good deal?

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mo...urce=prodClass

That's not bad if you don't mind an open box item. Make sure Onkyo gives you the full as-new warranty. I might even spring for an extended Onkyo warranty as long as it's not an unreasonable cost uptick.

You will need a separate power amp if you go with the full 7.2.4 capabilities at some point. It only has 9 built-in amps.

Consider adding a beefier external power amp for the three JBL 590's in the future.

post #19 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 2885
@genaccmiller

I use 4 of these for my Atmos ceiling duty, and work very well;
https://www.svsound.com/pages/prime-elevation
Also very versatile for surround speakers, but do not use them since my surrounds are the same family as my 3 front ones.

Last edited by darthray; 05-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.
post #20 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's not bad if you don't mind an open box item. Make sure Onkyo gives you the full as-new warranty. I might even spring for an extended Onkyo warranty as long as it's not an unreasonable cost uptick.

You will need a separate power amp if you go with the full 7.2.4 capabilities at some point. It only has 9 built-in amps.

Consider adding a beefier external power amp for the three JBL 590's in the future.
I would hold off on that model then. The Denon you recommended is a bit more expensive. Any other options?

post #21 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
@genaccmiller

I use 4 of these for my Atmos ceiling duty, and work very well;
https://www.svsound.com/pages/prime-elevation
Also very versatile for surround speakers,
Too much beyond my budget. Each speaker is $200. Also I thought Atmos would need to be in ceiling.

post #22 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 2885
Quote:
Too much beyond my budget. Each speaker is $200. Also I thought Atmos would need to be in ceiling.

Budget wise, no problem. It was just another option
Atmos can be in ceiling for lower prices, or using a speaker on the ceiling but harder to achieve.
If you change your mind, my Theater link has some pictures and description on how to install them.
The Chimaera theater
Page 3, posts 64,75 and 112.

Wishing all the best in your journey

Darth
post #23 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I would hold off on that model then. The Denon you recommended is a bit more expensive. Any other options?

If only you were looking for a receiver a few months ago. There were a lot of clearance sales on new Denon and Marantz stock from last year's model run.

That said, we cannot turn back time, so I would not beat around the bush. Go with the new, not refurb Denon 6400 I linked for you. It's a very solid choice with a 3 year warranty and you're not paying full retail. It was over $2,000 retail when it first came out.

It has everything you need. 11 channel amps too. You don't need to get a separate amp unless you determine the JBL's need more juice... at some point down the road.

And since you have a lower ceiling, the Prime Elevations would hang down too low. The RSL's also have angled drivers like the Primes, but are in-ceiling.

post #24 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Folks - correct me if I wrong but for the total cost involved, why can't I just hire a home theater company to do things nuts to bolt. As you see the total cost without sub and surrounds comes to $6300. If I just have a home theater company do this soups to nuts, wouldn't the price be comparable?

Three JBL 590s - $1300
Rsl ceiling speakers - $500
Projector optoma uhd51alv - $1600
Leave MLT2 sub and surround as they are
Receiver - $800
AT screen with hired help for framing - $1500
Wiring - $600

post #25 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Folks - correct me if I wrong but for the total cost involved, why can't I just hire a home theater company to do things nuts to bolt. As you see the total cost without sub and surrounds comes to $6300. If I just have a home theater company do this soups to nuts, wouldn't the price be comparable?

Three JBL 590s - $1300
Rsl ceiling speakers - $500
Projector optoma uhd51alv - $1600
Leave MLT2 sub and surround as they are
Receiver - $800
AT screen with hired help for framing - $1500
Wiring - $600

Upcharges on gear plus labor costs must be factored in.

The BenQ HT3550 looks interesting as an alternative projector.

Where are you getting $600 for wiring? Seems kind of steep unless you are factoring in electrical power too.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-15-2019 at 09:47 PM.
post #26 of 52 Old 05-15-2019, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Upcharges on gear plus labor costs must be factored in.

The BenQ HT3550 looks interesting as an alternative projector.

Where are you getting $600 for wiring? Seems kind of steep unless you are factoring in electrical power too.
Dan - the recommendation on the screens thread is that the Optoma is the only one that will work for my situation. $600 for wiring is the estimate given by the pre wiring guy for a 7.2.4 wiring with three additional cat 6s. Also cost of ht3550 is $1500. Optoma uhd51alv is $1688. Not much different.

Last edited by genaccmiller; 05-15-2019 at 10:49 PM.
post #27 of 52 Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Dan - the recommendation on the screens thread is that the Optoma is the only one that will work for my situation. $600 for wiring is the estimate given by the pre wiring guy for a 7.2.4 wiring with three additional cat 6s. Also cost of ht3550 is $1500. Optoma uhd51alv is $1688. Not much different.

Gotcha

post #28 of 52 Old 05-16-2019, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Gotcha
Is there any way to reduce the cost?

post #29 of 52 Old 05-16-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Is there any way to reduce the cost?

You could purchase the 12 gauge in-wall rated speaker wire, Premium Certified HDMI, and Cat6 and install them yourself before the drywall stage. A lot of people buy from Monoprice. I would purchase your long Premium Certified HDMI projector cable at Blue Jeans Cable as they make reliable HDMI wire for longer lengths. Be sure to run about 1" low voltage conduit from your projection location to the equipment rack or stand, so you can easily pull new cable if the standards change. It's not that difficult to do. You just need to know where to place them. That, of course, comes after you've laid out your room plan.

You need Cat6 more at the equipment location, so you can run hard wire internet to any streaming device, receiver, and UHD Blu-ray player from your internet router. Run Cat6 to the projector location as you may have one now or in the future that has an Ethernet port for firmware updates.

There are discussions on how to do this in the dedicated theater thread.

Always check that everything is working properly before you close up the ceiling and walls.

This will save you a bit of money.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-16-2019 at 05:51 AM.
post #30 of 52 Old 05-16-2019, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You could purchase the12 gauge in-wall rated speaker wire, HDMI, and Cat6 and install them yourself before the drywall stage. A lot of people buy from Monoprice. I would purchase your long Premium Certified HDMI projector cable at Blue Jeans Cable as they make reliable HDMI wire for longer lengths. Be sure to run about 1" low voltage conduit from your projection location to the equipment rack or stand, so you can easily pull new cable if the standards change. It's not that difficult to do. You just need to know where to place them. That, of course, comes after you've laid out your room plan.

There are discussions on how to do this in the dedicated theater thread.

This will save you a bit of money.
Why are you recommending 12g and not 14g and will I need shielded wires?

Assuming cost by DIY wiring will save me $400 and assuming I buy the onkyo tx-rz830, that could end up saving $700. The onkyo is on sale for $499 and I could start with a 5.1.4 set up. Or i could save up an additional $500 if I give up the Atmos and just started with 5 1. I could still wire for Atmos, just not install the speakers.

Which leads to my questios:

1. Should I go with onkyo?
2. How easy is wiring by myself?
3. Is Atmos necessary?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page