ATMOS Top Front and Top Rear placement OCD. Did I mess up? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-10-2019, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 1
ATMOS Top Front and Top Rear placement OCD. Did I mess up?

Hey guys

new to the atmos scene and obviously trying to get the absolute best out of my placement options. I didnt look TOO heavily into researching before hand I went more of visually references where I would want them based on looking at the placement chart from dolby. My mistake is not calculating every inch because now im second guessing everything.

Height of speakers is 92"

Distance to front height speakers from MLP ( main listening point ) is about 6 feet. I have also angled the cieling speakers towards the MLP slightly.

Distance to rear height speakrs from MLP is about 4 feet 4 inches with the speakers angled towards MLP slightly.

I think right now im overly focused on the top height speakers and probably over listening to them because its a new toy. I want to "hear" them and probably want to hear too much of them which is counter productive in terms of balance in the setup. I find if I lean further back by a foot I can strongly hear the top back, if I lean forward a foot I can strongly hear the front height speakers. Right now im tempted to move the back and front heights towards me by 12" each.

knowing this, are things within spec? and I can simply then adjust levels in each speaker to cater to what I like? or should they be remounted? Hopefully im so close to spec that im splitting hairs here and I should simply play with the speaker levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-11-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3193 Post(s)
Liked: 3000
Just aim them exactly at your seated ears, then re-run Audyssey and see how that sounds.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-11-2019, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You aren't going to hear too much out of them as not much is sent to them. I think how far you have them spread apart is more important than how far they are away from the MLP. There's a doc floating around here stating that 5' is the best distance between the pairs on 1 channel. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It's just tops. Luckily they are aimable and you probably won't be able to tell if they are within a few feet of Dolby's recommended setup diagram. Now pop in that demo disk and enjoy your hard work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page