Speaker recommendations/layout. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By mpk1970
  • 2 Post By cocrh
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
  • 2 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Rgarc

post #1 of 20 Old 05-12-2019, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker recommendations/layout.

Disclaimer: I am totally new to this. I don't know all the right vocabulary nor the right questions to ask..feel free to help with that too.

We are in the process of remolding and adding onto a 119 y/o farmhouse. One part of the addition is my wife's 'theater room.' I need help picking speakers and knowing where to place them.
Due to the remodeling, etc, I am on a very tight budget.. no more than $500 for the speakers/surround. Down the road we can update them.

The room is dedicated for the theater. 21.5' deep 11.75' wide. There is one window at the back of the room that will be covered. There is one door at back left of the room. Right side is 97" tall, left is 122" tall. There are three rows of seating, each 7" higher than the preceding. Pic attached showing room. (still need to add second coat of paint and trim out the room.) Floor will be carpeted.

Will be putting short cabinets across front of room and trim throughout. Will be using projector and target screen size is 132" wide x 74ish" tall.

So far, I only have the receiver: Yamaha RX-V581 7.2-Ch x 80 Watts Networking A/V Receiver.

Primary purpose is watching movies. My wife will likely also use some for listening to music and the kids will likely play a game or two in there...But, movies is by far the primary purpose.

Lots of online reviews list the Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Channel Home theater System as one of the better systems for somebody that is on a short budget. However, I have read a few people here talk less than favorably about it.

So, first question: what speakers would you recommend that can stay as low cost wise as possible, but must be no more than $500?

Next, with this room, what would be the best placement for each of them? ie, front, side, back, ceiling, floor, etc. and how high up etc. (I have to figure this out pretty soon. They are installing carpet May 29 and I may need to run wires, etc before I trim it out, before they install.

Thanks for any feedback/help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theaterRoom.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	2565864  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-12-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by browndrake View Post
Disclaimer: I am totally new to this. I don't know all the right vocabulary nor the right questions to ask..feel free to help with that too.

We are in the process of remolding and adding onto a 119 y/o farmhouse. One part of the addition is my wife's 'theater room.' I need help picking speakers and knowing where to place them.
Due to the remodeling, etc, I am on a very tight budget.. no more than $500 for the speakers/surround. Down the road we can update them.

The room is dedicated for the theater. 21.5' deep 11.75' wide. There is one window at the back of the room that will be covered. There is one door at back left of the room. Right side is 97" tall, left is 122" tall. There are three rows of seating, each 7" higher than the preceding. Pic attached showing room. (still need to add second coat of paint and trim out the room.) Floor will be carpeted.

Will be putting short cabinets across front of room and trim throughout. Will be using projector and target screen size is 132" wide x 74ish" tall.

So far, I only have the receiver: Yamaha RX-V581 7.2-Ch x 80 Watts Networking A/V Receiver.

Primary purpose is watching movies. My wife will likely also use some for listening to music and the kids will likely play a game or two in there...But, movies is by far the primary purpose.

Lots of online reviews list the Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Channel Home theater System as one of the better systems for somebody that is on a short budget. However, I have read a few people here talk less than favorably about it.

So, first question: what speakers would you recommend that can stay as low cost wise as possible, but must be no more than $500?

Next, with this room, what would be the best placement for each of them? ie, front, side, back, ceiling, floor, etc. and how high up etc. (I have to figure this out pretty soon. They are installing carpet May 29 and I may need to run wires, etc before I trim it out, before they install.

No Brainer!! You're done!!

https://emotiva.com/collections/clea...ts/airmotiv-t1
browndrake likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LRC: Emotiva T2 & C2, Rears: Emotiva B1, Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs, Receiver: Marantz SR5012, 7.2,100 Watt, AMP: Outlaw5000
Set up #2 Son's Room: QA3020i LR, Emotiva C1 Center, Denon AVR, Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
Set up #3 Elab B6 2.0 Debut w Fosi Audio amp 50W Set up #4 QA3020 w Fosi Audio amp 50W Set up #5 Chane's A1.4 w Fosi Audio 50W amp
post #3 of 20 Old 05-12-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Unfortunately with that kind of budget I'd think you'd wanna be right where you're at with those speakers. Maybe take the $100 extra and buy a logitech companion to control the system. Can't imagine many people raving about the onkyo speaker solution here.

Manual will outline recommended placement of speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Two Boston Acoustic A26's in front and two A25's for surrounds. For center the A225C. All in for 525.00. Very nice sounding and then save money for a nice sub or two.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-each/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-each/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...r-black/1.html
RayGuy and browndrake like this.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-12-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
I have zero personal experience with these, but maybe: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--300-707

A supporting review: https://www.avsforum.com/dayton-audi...eakers-review/

The Dayton system that I linked to is only 5.1. To go to 7.1 without breaking the budget, you could go with https://www.avsforum.com/dayton-audi...eakers-review/, and add another pair of MK402s for surrounds for an additional $69 https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-pair--300-455

I'm a little skeptical that any $500 speaker set, purchased new, can cover that large space. Used is probably a better choice, but that'll require a lot more effort and understanding.
mpk1970 likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-13-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. I'll take a look at he different recommendations.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked: 2396
Start with the above mentioned Emotiva T1's and add the center and subs later. Just the pair of T1's will be much better than that Onkyo HTIB set. I can speak from experience since I had one and don't miss it at all.
mpk1970 and browndrake like this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8392 Post(s)
Liked: 5604
Quote:

You are going to have to wire for 5.1 unless you have future plans for 5.1.4 Atmos which would require a new receiver and additional speakers down the road.

But with that limited budget I'd recommend starting with a decent front three using floor standing speakers until you have $400 or so to add a good sub for 3.1 before adding rear speakers for around $200-$300 for 5.1.

I've been 5.1 since 1986 and have zero plans to move beyond that.

A good front three, the same as my sister in law has, are these.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CS1...S10-Black.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TSI...?showAll=N&c=4

That's $400 and if you can spend an additional $150 now, you'd have a 5.1 setup to start.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TSI...?showAll=N&c=4

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 20 Old 05-13-2019, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. May have a change coming. My brother owes me some $ and may be getting it now. So potentially budget just doubled.

I am really new to this. I've never spent more than a couple hundred on a sound system. However, would like to make this home theater as nice as I can for my wife.
It seems that quite a few people around here really like the airmotiv speakers. If I were shopping in the $1000 price range, would that still be one of the better ways to go?

I really don't know how to put a system together. Thinking possibly, the T1s for front LR, C1 or C2, and a pair of E1s for surround and save for a subwoofer? Is it worth the extra $70 to get the C2 over the C1?
OR, is there a better way to go, if I am now in the 1k range?

If I went with the airmotivs, would they work with my reciver? Yahmaha RX-V581, power output is rated at 7 x 80W (6 ohms, two channels driven) I think the T1 are 4 ohms. If not, is that something that can be rectified by adding an inexpensive amp?

Being that I am so new to sound systems, let me explain again my situation and ask a question of two. I want a home theater that we can sit in and watch movies/listen music and have crisp, clean, full range sound. I have no intention of blasting it enough to go deaf or break the windows. When watching a movie, I want to be able to hear the people talking and not just the background music/noise. Hope that you can understand what I am trying to say.

What does spending $1000 give me that a $200 set of speakers doesn't? I don't care about volume (nor very much anyhow) but I care about quality of sound. Are the Airmotivs and similar going to give the most bang for the buck....along those lines?

Sorry for rambling.

thanks
post #10 of 20 Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I agree with some of the advice to built the system gradually as it will allow for much better components. Spend as much as you can on the front three speakers. The Emotiva package is “very” good for home theater/movies and seems to fit nicely in your budget for a 5 speaker set up. Get the better center channel between the C1 and C2.

At a later date, add a subwoofer next - plan to spend 300-500 on the sub. Get a minimum 12” driver in a vented/ported cabinet from a company known for subs (HSU, Outlaw audio, SVS etc). Keep an eye out for B Stock or Holiday sales and Sign up for their newsletters as they often have deals only announced on the newsletters

Finally you can add 2 Atmos speakers for Height channels to give you a 5.1.2 setup. Pioneer or Elac Atmos modules can often be found for $100-200. Although you may possibly need to upgrade your receiver first (consider buying used).

Beyond this everything else starts yielding diminishing returns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 20 Old 05-14-2019, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Thinking possibly, the T1s for front LR, C1 or C2, and a pair of E1s for surround and save for a subwoofer? Is it worth the extra $70 to get the C2 over the C1?

If I went with the airmotivs, would they work with my reciver? Yahmaha RX-V581, power output is rated at 7 x 80W (6 ohms, two channels driven) I think the T1 are 4 ohms. If not, is that something that can be rectified by adding an inexpensive amp?

thanks
T1's LR and C2 if you have the space would be awesome and the E1s for surrounds. Great system and on sale so awesome value.

Yes your receiver will handle it.

RX-V581

AV Receiver

Amplifier Section Channel 7.2

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 115 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 80 W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 145 W (6 ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power / Ch (Front L/R, 8/6/4/2 ohms) 120 / 140 / 170 / 190 W
post #12 of 20 Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. May have a change coming. My brother owes me some $ and may be getting it now. So potentially budget just doubled.

I am really new to this. I've never spent more than a couple hundred on a sound system. However, would like to make this home theater as nice as I can for my wife.
It seems that quite a few people around here really like the airmotiv speakers. If I were shopping in the $1000 price range, would that still be one of the better ways to go?

I really don't know how to put a system together. Thinking possibly, the T1s for front LR, C1 or C2, and a pair of E1s for surround and save for a subwoofer? Is it worth the extra $70 to get the C2 over the C1?

Being that I am so new to sound systems, let me explain again my situation and ask a question of two. I want a home theater that we can sit in and watch movies/listen music and have crisp, clean, full range sound. I have no intention of blasting it enough to go deaf or break the windows. When watching a movie, I want to be able to hear the people talking and not just the background music/noise. Hope that you can understand what I am trying to say.

What does spending $1000 give me that a $200 set of speakers doesn't? I don't care about volume (nor very much anyhow) but I care about quality of sound. Are the Airmotivs and similar going to give the most bang for the buck....along those lines?

Sorry for rambling.

thanks
That's a decent plan but where are you located in case there is a local manufacturer or specialty store near you?
browndrake likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #13 of 20 Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
a decent plan but where are you located in case there is a local manufacturer or specialty store near you?
Middle of nowhere, in Utah. Closest store is a couple hundred + miles.
post #14 of 20 Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Middle of nowhere, in Utah. Closest store is a couple hundred + miles.
Well, RBH is near Salt Lake City and Tekton is near Provo.

Are you ever near those two cities?

If so, give them a call to set up an appointment.

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 05-14-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-14-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 304
$1000 can get you something like this setup. If you add a second matching sub you would be only about $30 over budget. However, if you can swing the Emotiva's, that would be my preferred setup.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...package/1.html
sigpig likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 05-14-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Well, RBH is near Salt Lake City and Tekton is near Provo.
Are you ever near those two cities?
If so, give them a call to set up an appointment.
I get to Provo whenever I need to, generally once every 2-3 months. SLC is only 40 mins farther and doable. However, it looks like one speaker from RBH or Tekton would eat my entire budget.
post #17 of 20 Old 05-14-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I get to Provo whenever I need to, generally once every 2-3 months. SLC is only 40 mins farther and doable. However, it looks like one speaker from RBH or Tekton would eat my entire budget.
R5S are just $300/pair so definitely call them to see if you can make an appointment for a listen.

https://rbhsound.com/r5.php

R515 which you can use as the center is $215.

https://rbhsound.com/r515.php

Geoff A. J., California
post #18 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
R5S are just $300/pair so definitely call them to see if you can make an appointment for a listen.

https://rbhsound.com/r5.php

R515 which you can use as the center is $215.

https://rbhsound.com/r515.php
Thanks
post #19 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Looking at my schedule, it is highly unlikely that I can go north until the end of July. Putting off a purchase until I can get out and listen is the wise thing to do, but we are currently watching movies on a 11' screen, with 3 rows of seats, and a single speaker that I use for my computer..... (not exactly a theater experience) So, I will likely end up purchasing without hearing them and hope that we are happy with the end product. They will primarily be for movies in 12x22 closed room. (about 2x/month...summertime, the L/R speakers will be pulled outside and used for outdoor movies. We invite the neighbors all over, burn some hotdogs and hamburgers and watch a movie on the side of the house) So mostly inside enclosed medium sized room....and roof isn't flat, which will affect acoustics.

I can't afford a sub for a while. Likely will end up with LCR and 2 surrounds. If I go airmotiv will likely be T1s, C1, and E1s. With RBH?

For those of you that have listened to both these RBH and the Airmotiv, how would the following compare?

left/right R5, center R515, Surrounds ??
vs
left/center/right all R515, Surrounds ??
vs
left/right T1, center C1, Surrounds E1

Thanks for any insights that you can offer.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-16-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Looking at my schedule, it is highly unlikely that I can go north until the end of July. Putting off a purchase until I can get out and listen is the wise thing to do, but we are currently watching movies on a 11' screen, with 3 rows of seats, and a single speaker that I use for my computer..... (not exactly a theater experience) So, I will likely end up purchasing without hearing them and hope that we are happy with the end product. They will primarily be for movies in 12x22 closed room. (about 2x/month...summertime, the L/R speakers will be pulled outside and used for outdoor movies. We invite the neighbors all over, burn some hotdogs and hamburgers and watch a movie on the side of the house) So mostly inside enclosed medium sized room....and roof isn't flat, which will affect acoustics.

I can't afford a sub for a while. Likely will end up with LCR and 2 surrounds. If I go airmotiv will likely be T1s, C1, and E1s. With RBH?

For those of you that have listened to both these RBH and the Airmotiv, how would the following compare?

left/right R5, center R515, Surrounds ??
vs
left/center/right all R515, Surrounds ??
vs
left/right T1, center C1, Surrounds E1

Thanks for any insights that you can offer.
Based on this info I'd buy the majority of your $1000 speaker system from a free return shipping vendor with a good reputation on AVS and simply buy inexpensive surrounds.

This is a great value 3.1 system for $899, free return shipping if not happy.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...heater-system/

For surrounds a pair of these would be just fine, $10 return shipping if not happy.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107OWM...WM3-Black.html

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page