Bookshelf's for 5.1 System (it's been 15 years) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By m0j0
  • 1 Post By Chris Roy

post #1 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bookshelf's for 5.1 System (it's been 15 years)

Hello All,

Without getting long winded I have tried some local electronic stores with no help at all in trying to setup a home theater 5.1.

I want to start with bookshelf speakers and base my build around those so we can start there and work our way out, will not be running Dolby atoms (I know this is technically only a speakers forum)

I am looking at the Klipsch R-51M, Klipsch RP-600M, and Elac debut 2.0 b6.2. but open to suggestions without breaking the bank. Also would I need a separate Amp besides my receiver to drive the Elac's at 6 ohm's?

I have an off center Room that is 30ft by 20ft and mainly want the best sound stage primary for gaming and movies/TV. I will be sitting around 13 ft from the speakers and they will be about 20 inches off the ground on a TV stand. (82" Samsung already mounted bottom of TV is 36" high)(Picture for reference)

Elac's sounded a little muddy to me in store but realize that they were very high up on a shelf so hard to tell.

Have not heard the others due to them not being on demo but familiar with Klipsch Horn sound and do enjoy the clean crisp highs.

I guess the real question is if I make the bump up in price to the 600M's do I have to stay in that Reference Premier price range for all my speakers or can I mix and match from the regular reference series for my center and rears.

Suggestions for Sub's under 500 for each system would be appreciated also.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	692.2 KB
ID:	2566188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_092748.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	758.4 KB
ID:	2566190   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_060419 (1).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	861.0 KB
ID:	2566192  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 988
I’d definitely take the RP600M’s. Those are the easily the best IMO out of all that you mentioned. No you don’t have to match the same line all around but it’s usually best to match brands. Line for the front three.

As for subs, check out HSU and Monolith. SVS and RSL also make a good 10”. Rythmik is just outside of your budget.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8481 Post(s)
Liked: 5661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Roy View Post
Hello All,

Without getting long winded I have tried some local electronic stores with no help at all in trying to setup a home theater 5.1.

I want to start with bookshelf speakers and base my build around those so we can start there and work our way out, will not be running Dolby atoms (I know this is technically only a speakers forum)

I am looking at the Klipsch R-51M, Klipsch RP-600M, and Elac debut 2.0 b6.2. but open to suggestions without breaking the bank. Also would I need a separate Amp besides my receiver to drive the Elac's at 6 ohm's?

I have an off center Room that is 30ft by 20ft and mainly want the best sound stage primary for gaming and movies/TV. I will be sitting around 13 ft from the speakers and they will be about 20 inches off the ground on a TV stand. (82" Samsung already mounted bottom of TV is 36" high)(Picture for reference)

Elac's sounded a little muddy to me in store but realize that they were very high up on a shelf so hard to tell.

Have not heard the others due to them not being on demo but familiar with Klipsch Horn sound and do enjoy the clean crisp highs.

I guess the real question is if I make the bump up in price to the 600M's do I have to stay in that Reference Premier price range for all my speakers or can I mix and match from the regular reference series for my center and rears.

Thanks!
Where are you located in case there's some great local manufacturers or stores near you?

The Klipsch RP line makes a great deal of sense for your space.

I would only consider the Klipsch R series for rear speakers to be honest. They are found to be too harsh by most who have heard them on AVS unlike the RPs.

What A/V receiver do you have to start the listening at home process as the RP600ms can be bought, (and returned within 15 days), to Best Buy.

A great receiver deal right now is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X15...13160923&psc=1

These are the subs to consider.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE:
*THE LARGER PORTED SUBS DELIVER AT LEAST 40% MORE SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL
THAN THE SAME BRAND'S SEALED VERSION WITH SAME SIZE WOOFER AND AMP
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE
*BEFORE BUYING MAKE A CARDBOARD CUTOUT OF THE SIZE OF THE SUB TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO LARGE FOR YOU
Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.
Warranty
for AMP
1 year 150watts =12w7h24d= 25 lbs 8" [23hz] $219 EARTHQUAKE LOW PROFILE CP8 (Amazon price)

2 years 350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

2 years 250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

5 years 300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

5 years 500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

3 years 300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $569 RHYTHMIK LV12F

2 years 350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)
* = shipping weight

SEALED SUBWOOFERS $650 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

3 years 300watts =12w13h13d= 27 lbs 10" [24hz] $399 MARTIN LOGAN DYNAMO 700W, limited time offer Amazon.
NOTE: WIRELESS TRANSMITTER INCLUDED

5 years 300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)

5 years 500watts =13w16h21d= 50 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH MTS10 THX

3 years 300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12

5 years 500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
* = shipping weight
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

This is why I came here. You guys have already helped me more in 2 post then I have gotten from B and H, Best Buy, and PC Richards combined. I live in Central NJ.

I was looking at the YAMAHARX-V483, but also any thoughts on the ELAC's? It looks like it will be a considerable price difference from the RP600s. When factoring in the center channel and rear surrounds.

I am willing to spend some extra on the Denon but would rather get a new one then refurbished. Looking for a Receiver that produces the best sound vs one with wifi/atmos stuff I probably will not use.

Sub-woofer wise I will take a look at your suggestions but right off the cut I would say front ported would probably work best as it will sit right besides the TV stand facing the couch. Down firing would be right up against a back and right side wall (not sure that makes a difference).

Thanks again for all your input will be doing more research this week.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 362
You may also want to consider the Polk LSiM 703 book shelf speakers. They go for 300 each @ Adorama on sale, as well as the LSiM 704c Center channel that goes for around 230-300 or so, if you can find it, or the 706c which goes for 500.

https://www.adorama.com/pkalsm703mvc...ce=rflaid62905

https://www.adorama.com/pklsim703b.h...ce=rflaid62905

https://www.adorama.com/pkalsim706cc...ce=rflaid62905

https://www.adorama.com/pklsim706cb....ce=rflaid62905
cocrh likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3002 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks!
For mostly TV/Movies & gaming, Klipsch are a good choice. You should match at least the front 3. Surrounds are less active and less critical so lower line Klipsch would be fine. Note: Surrounds are much more active for gaming so sticking to the same brand will provide a more cohesive soundstage.

Alternatively, you can go with an HSU package if you can fit it into your budget. Very efficient speakers with good sound and excellent subs. Based on the room size you'll need a robust sub(s) to fill that space. Subs see the entire open area, not just the listening area.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3hppkg.html
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2mk5pkg.html

This Denon AVR would easily drive any setup you chose.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is why I came here. You guys have already helped me more in 2 post then I have gotten from B and H, Best Buy, and PC Richards combined. I live in Central NJ.

I was looking at the YAMAHARX-V483, but also any thoughts on the ELAC's? It looks like it will be a considerable price difference from the RP600s. When factoring in the center channel and rear surrounds.

I am willing to spend some extra on the Denon but would rather get a new one then refurbished. Looking for a Receiver that produces the best sound vs one with wifi/atmos stuff I probably will not use.

Sub-woofer wise I will take a look at your suggestions but right off the cut I would say front ported would probably work best as it will sit right besides the TV stand facing the couch. Down firing would be right up against a back and right side wall (not sure that makes a difference).

Most of the time sub port placement doesn’t matter, or firing orientation, as bass is omnidirectional, but it is generally good to not have it face a wall to avoid noise that the mass of air it moves will make.

All of the subs I mentioned are front ported btw. I’d only look at ported subs in this price range and for your setup. Best bang and bass for your buck. Don’t worry about musicality, they all perform well.

Generally you can find the Klipsch on sale, but so can you with the Elac. I think it would be a worthy investment to get the Klipsch over the Elac.

That Denon @gajCA linked would be a great choice for you. Despite it being refurbished, it’s the best choice, and I see no other reason to not get it. Unless the non refurbished ones go on sale, that is the best choice.

post #8 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:

My sister has this receiver and it works very well with decent microphone based EQ.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVS...BT.html?tp=179

The Elacs are a fine choice, many fans on AVS, the Klipsch RP would be a step up if you are looking for a lot of sound level potential as they are more efficient but for normal "loud" listening levels an Elac system could work very well.

Just don't buy one of their subs.

That receiver would have no problems driving the Elacs.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

So while I still have your attention:

DENONAVR-X1500H
klipsch rp-600m
Klipsch Rp-500c
Klipsch r41m ? (rear surround)

Sub TBD most likely 12" HSU VTF-2mk5

Thoughts?
sigpig likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

DENONAVR-X1500H

klipsch rp-600m

Klipsch Rp-500c

Klipsch r41m ? (rear surround)

Sub TBD most likely 12" HSU VTF-2mk5

Thoughts?

That’s a great setup. You’ll be very happy, especially with that subwoofer.

post #11 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 972
I have an all bookshelf speaker 5.1.2 system. I'm new to Atmos do I hope the 5.1.2 is right. 5 channel, LCR and surrounds, 1 sub and 2 Atmos speakers. Anyway they are all bookshelf speakers including the center channel. I love it, suits me just fine, sounds great.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #12 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:

DENONAVR-X1500H
klipsch rp-600m