Wireless speakers questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-13-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Wireless speakers questions

two questions: are wireless speakers synonymous with active (i.e. passive require a hard-wired amplifier)? And how do you use wireless speakers with a regular amplifier. Is there a wireless module connected to the amp to transmit to the speakers? If so, what is it called?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-13-2019, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wireless speakers are active speakers, there is usually a transmitter from the amp or some kind wireless play system.
The later is more for the newer amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 05-14-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Yes, wireless would generally be active. There are various wireless protocols but one issue to watch out for is that the usual public ones (like over Bluetooth) are lossy. I *think* technically Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth for lossless and you need a WiFi network to do that.

So the only lossless ones I'm aware of are proprietary systems like B&Ws new Formation stuff which is expensive, and Apple's Airplay which is in few speakers so far. Formation also can act as a Roon endpoint so you could use that lovely interface to pick your music.

Another issue to watch for is that powered speakers are mostly smaller, and folks think "oh I'll add a subwoofer" but most of those do not have any provision to add a subwoofer properly. By "properly" I mean that somewhere there must be a highpass filter cutting the bass out of the satellites, so their amp and woofer are not still straining uselessly to reproduce the low notes, obviating a lot of the benefit of the sub. Even if something has a "subwoofer out" you have to do detailed research as to whether there is a highpass setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-14-2019, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by B SUBASCHANDRA BOS View Post
Wireless speakers are active speakers, there is usually a transmitter from the amp or some kind wireless play system.
The later is more for the newer amps.
"there is usually a transmitter"... Does the speaker manufacturer supply that transmitter? And, head_unit, for bluetooth I would have to get a bluetooth transmitter for my amp (or preamp), right?
post #5 of 5 Old 05-14-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I’ve never seen a wireless speaker that included a transmitter. Most wireless speakers are Bluetooth based, which means the phone etc. transmits to it.

Some AVR manufacturers such as Denon and Yamaha are beginning to provide wireless surrounds, as long as you use their speakers.

If your AVR has preamp outputs, you can add a transmitter / receiver system to send to an amplifier at the back of the room that the surround speakers would connect to.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/wi...s-a-mess.2057/

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page