Recommendation for surround speaker to add to my current 3.1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-14-2019, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Recommendation for surround speaker to add to my current 3.1

Hello.

Right know I have the following 3.1 system:

LR: Kef R100 C: Kef Q650c Sub: BK Monolith.

I want to add 2 surround speakers. My sofa is agains the fall, so the space is limited. The distance from wall to wall is 3m and the distance from the speakers to the hearing position in the sofa is 2.2m aprox.

I can get a pair of R100 for cheap that would match my current L/R and I would use a wall mount for them on both sides of the sofa, facing inside:

(pardon the sh*tty sofa cofer, just moved and my cats still want to scratch the hell of out the sofa leather).

I asked one guy in a music store and he recommended a pair of Kef T301 or Kef T501 instead of the R100. As far as I know, the R100 are superior to those T series speakers, so I don't know if the recommendation is biased because the R100 would be bought elsewhere and they want to sell me their T301/T501.

Also I was reading about bipole speakers but it wasn't clear to me the advantages.

So in the end, should I buy a pair of R100, the T301/T501 as the music store guy recommended or another brand/model (bipoles, whatever).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-14-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Arese Vilar View Post
Hello.

Right know I have the following 3.1 system:

LR: Kef R100 C: Kef Q650c Sub: BK Monolith.

I want to add 2 surround speakers. My sofa is agains the fall, so the space is limited. The distance from wall to wall is 3m and the distance from the speakers to the hearing position in the sofa is 2.2m aprox.

I can get a pair of R100 for cheap that would match my current L/R and I would use a wall mount for them on both sides of the sofa, facing inside:

(pardon the sh*tty sofa cofer, just moved and my cats still want to scratch the hell of out the sofa leather).

I asked one guy in a music store and he recommended a pair of Kef T301 or Kef T501 instead of the R100. As far as I know, the R100 are superior to those T series speakers, so I don't know if the recommendation is biased because the R100 would be bought elsewhere and they want to sell me their T301/T501.

Also I was reading about bipole speakers but it wasn't clear to me the advantages.

So in the end, should I buy a pair of R100, the T301/T501 as the music store guy recommended or another brand/model (bipoles, whatever).

Thanks!
If you have space limitations on depth or have WAF factors in effect, the Kef T series would make sense. You wouldn't use the center or surrounds for any critical music listening so I'd go with Q100/150 for surrounds and spend the money on a 2nd BK sub instead. That said, if you're getting the R100 for just a few quid/euros more than the Q series may as well.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-15-2019, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, thanks for the reply

I don't have WAF problems and I think that the depth is not critical since surrounds have to be on the sides right? My sofa is against the wall but as far as I know that shouldn't be a concern for surrounds

Also, if I understood it correctly, surround speakers need to be facing inwards, towards the speaking position, right?
The way the T series are mounted on the wall makes them be facing directly the TV, so I don't quite understand it.
How do people usually mount the T series for surrounds?

If I don't chose a T series, they will be the R100 for sure, I can get them at a good price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-15-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8392 Post(s)
Liked: 5604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Arese Vilar View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply

I don't have WAF problems and I think that the depth is not critical since surrounds have to be on the sides right? My sofa is against the wall but as far as I know that shouldn't be a concern for surrounds

Also, if I understood it correctly, surround speakers need to be facing inwards, towards the speaking position, right?
The way the T series are mounted on the wall makes them be facing directly the TV, so I don't quite understand it.
How do people usually mount the T series for surrounds?

If I don't chose a T series, they will be the R100 for sure, I can get them at a good price.
My couch is against the wall and my rear speakers are mounted on flat shelves at ear height when standing one above each end table.

They are tilted down a bit and aimed towards the center of the room and the surround effect is very good with no issues with localization, (ie. hearing just one surround speaker when seated on either end of the couch).

Q100s or Q150s would be more than enough for that use.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
home cinema

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page