• 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Elihawk

post #1 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cerwin-Vega

Needing help I recently just bought the AVR 6500 to power my 2 Cerwin Vega xls single 15s and a powered sub I currently have it set to 6 ohms and that’s 175 watts it claims. I was thinking about bi amping but I’m not very sure at all about that bi amping stuff I’m wanting to get the most out of my receiver? Or did I make the wrong choice on this receiver to power this setup? And another question should I use that auto calibration setup I figured I didn’t need to because I’m only running three speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8392 Post(s)
Liked: 5604
Quote:
Originally Posted by calistameghan View Post
Needing help I recently just bought the AVR 6500 to power my 2 Cerwin Vega xls single 15s and a powered sub I currently have it set to 6 ohms and that’s 175 watts it claims. I was thinking about bi amping but I’m not very sure at all about that bi amping stuff I’m wanting to get the most out of my receiver? Or did I make the wrong choice on this receiver to power this setup? And another question should I use that auto calibration setup I figured I didn’t need to because I’m only running three speakers
Oh boy, you bought a $2200 receiver for a 3.1 setup with main speakers costing $260?

A $250 receiver would have been more than enough.

But, to answer your question, yes, run the microphone based EQ as it will try and eliminate any room induced peaks produced by your speakers and sub.
SinGA likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1940
Bi-amping, don't bother...no or very limited benefits to bi-amp speakers with passive crossovers. I mean, you can try it, all it will cost is some wire and your time!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

both Vegas cost 1200 bucks new I can easily return the AVR receiver. I was thinking of a Yamaha stereo receiver And buying a preamp to go with it all and all it would be 1100 bucks. Or what are some good recommendations on stereo receiver and preamp
post #5 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 07:13 PM
_tk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Oh boy, you bought a $2200 receiver for a 3.1 setup with main speakers costing $260?

A $250 receiver would have been more than enough.

But, to answer your question, yes, run the microphone based EQ as it will try and eliminate any room induced peaks produced by your speakers and sub.
I mean, yeah...a $2200 receiver is a lot for a basic 3.1 setup, but $250 hardly gets you the crappy bottom-barrel Yamaha or Sony at a Best Buy.

Maybe a $1500 receiver and $1000 speakers would have been a good compromise.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
I mean, yeah...a $2200 receiver is a lot for a basic 3.1 setup, but $250 hardly gets you the crappy bottom-barrel Yamaha or Sony at a Best Buy.

Maybe a $1500 receiver and $1000 speakers would have been a good compromise.
maybe 1000 AV rec and 1500 speakers! The greatest benefit in sound quality will always come from the speakers. The OP is proposing dorm room speakers and a pretty elite AV rec...
SinGA likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #7 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Needing help I recently just bought the AVR 6500 to power my 2 Cerwin Vega xls single 15s and a powered sub I currently have it set to 6 ohms and that’s 175 watts it claims.
OK, so some random thoughts-
- You don't have 3 channels, as they are not all full range. This would be called 2.1 (you're not truly wrong, it's just semantics and convention. "3 channel" is generally taken to be left, center, and right).
- What subwoofer do you have? Those C-V are large, most subs will not increase their performance
- Yes, the C-V are loud party type speakers. That doesn't mean they sound bad, but that other speakers are generally regarded as more accurate. Then again, many of those speakers won't CRANK as much as the big Cerwins, and take a LOT MORE power to play loud compared to the 215s.
- From so far limited experience I do like the Audyssey MultEQ. Anyway, you have zero to lose running it, as you can always turn it off. Dirac is also quite sophisticated. Others like YPAO or MCACC etc can give good results but are more limited.
- If you want to run a sub, take care that if you get a stereo unit that it actually has a highpass capability to cut the lowest frequencies out of the main speakers. Otherwise, you don't get all the benefit of a sub. Just because a unit has a "sub out" does NOT mean there is such a highpass filter; you have to read the manuals in detail (or ask us to )
post #8 of 13 Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
both Vegas cost 1200 bucks new I can easily return the AVR receiver. I was thinking of a Yamaha stereo receiver And buying a preamp to go with it all and all it would be 1100 bucks. Or what are some good recommendations on stereo receiver and preamp
If you are not planning to do surround sound and just want to do stereo with your powered sub I'd get an Integra Stereo Receiver with bass management which allows you to decide where the Cerwin Vegas hand over the bass to the subwoofer. Usually that is done at 80hz.

It also has all the modern connectivity you could want and 100 watts of power.

Just $650 new at Crutchfield or $400 factory refurbished with a 2 year warranty at Accessories4Less.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_164DTM...receiver+price

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...xoCHKcQAvD_BwE

Here are the advantages of using bass management:

Win 1. Since you are now not putting in 20 Hertz 80 Hertz into the mains you are not using up the available low frequency cone movement with bass, so the low frequency cone in your main speaker is able to play its higher frequencies (up to it’s crossover point) much more cleanly. You get an apparent 6dB or more dynamic range. You can play your system louder, and also with less compression distortion in the low frequency driver...

Win 2. Since you are not putting bass into that same driver...This means cleaner mids. By far.

Win 3. You are not sucking current out of your main power amp at low frequencies, so there is more current reserve to play those highs louder.

Win 4. Since the cones are not moving as far at the low frequencies...there is far less current draw by the speakers.

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...udio-Subwoofer

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 13 Old 05-16-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked: 2396
Quote:
Receivers with Audyssey XT32 do have advantages like dual sub eq, bass management, a boat load of features and lots of HDMI inputs. You could get a Denon X3400 (lowest model with pre-outs and audyssey XT32) to use as a pre amp/processor. You can then get a nice NAD amp to help get the most out of your setup. Emotiva also has some good high power amps.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745C26....html?tp=48757
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps...cts/xpa-2-gen3

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

What do you guys think about this Yamaha R-N803 receiver
post #11 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
While it has YPAO and setup seems to imply that the unit will set a crossover point it is never discussed so the manual is clear as mud on whether the unit has YPAO based bass management or not so I'd not pay that much money for a receiver that is not crystal clear about bass management and gives the user complete control of that function.

I'd get the Integra receiver with bass management for $400 from A4L with the 2 year warranty.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Regarding room EQ, for music only, I firmly believe it's always a very simple choice -- either go "all in" or "all out". Compare room EQ mode with "Pure Direct" mode (bypassing digital manipulation of the signal) to see which sounds better in your room with your speakers. In a perfect room, for music only, bypassing digital manipulation virtually always sounds significantly better for music in my experience. That said, very acoustically difficult rooms can sound much better with room EQ, even though there are downsides to digital manipulation. Try both, pick one.

Once you figure out whether you want/need room EQ for your room and your speakers, that will help you pick the exact receiver/amp/AVR that will best serve your individual situation.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked: 2396
Quote:
The Integra has HDMI inputs, bass management and a few other features. The Integra leans to the receiver side while the Yamaha is more of a power amp. You can also get a Marantz NR 1508 for all the convenience of an AVR and add a nice 2 channel Emotiva amp which has plenty of power and are budget friendly.
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps...cts/xpa-2-gen3
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page