Originally Posted by calistameghan
Needing help I recently just bought the AVR 6500 to power my 2 Cerwin Vega xls single 15s and a powered sub I currently have it set to 6 ohms and that’s 175 watts it claims.
OK, so some random thoughts-
- You don't have 3 channels, as they are not all full range. This would be called 2.1 (you're not truly wrong, it's just semantics and convention. "3 channel" is generally taken to be left, center, and right).
- What subwoofer do you have? Those C-V are large, most subs will not increase their performance
- Yes, the C-V are loud party type speakers. That doesn't mean they sound bad, but that other speakers are generally regarded as more accurate. Then again, many of those speakers won't CRANK as much as the big Cerwins, and take a LOT MORE power to play loud compared to the 215s.
- From so far limited experience I do like the Audyssey MultEQ. Anyway, you have zero to lose running it, as you can always turn it off. Dirac is also quite sophisticated. Others like YPAO or MCACC etc can give good results but are more limited.
- If you want to run a sub, take care that if you get a stereo unit that it actually has a highpass capability to cut the lowest frequencies out of the main speakers. Otherwise, you don't get all the benefit of a sub. Just because a unit has a "sub out" does NOT mean there is such a highpass filter; you have to read the manuals in detail (or ask us to