Advice: Tweeter Replacement for B&W DM602 S1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By b curry
  • 2 Post By b curry

post #1 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Advice: Tweeter Replacement for B&W DM602 S1

Hi all. I never have kids at my house but a friend was visiting with his kid and did the classic kid thing of pushing the tweeter in on one of my B&W DM602 S1 speakers. I contacted B&W and they don't have original tweeters for that speaker anymore. I know I can try to suction it out but I'd rather just replace it. The speakers are probably 9/10 condition aside from that tweeter

Anyway, I kind of want to ask what you would do in my situation. I can find this original tweeter but they're really expensive, since there's a dwindling supply. I could get new tweeters for both speakers, and they might even be better, but then I'd lose the aesthetic of the original speaker. If you were in my situation, would you pay the money to replace the original tweeter or get a new set? If you got a new set, which ones would you get?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_204819.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2567100  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8392 Post(s)
Liked: 5604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Sullivan View Post
Hi all. I never have kids at my house but a friend was visiting with his kid and did the classic kid thing of pushing the tweeter in on one of my B&W DM602 S1 speakers. I contacted B&W and they don't have original tweeters for that speaker anymore. I know I can try to suction it out but I'd rather just replace it. The speakers are probably 9/10 condition aside from that tweeter

Anyway, I kind of want to ask what you would do in my situation. I can find this original tweeter but they're really expensive, since there's a dwindling supply. I could get new tweeters for both speakers, and they might even be better, but then I'd lose the aesthetic of the original speaker. If you were in my situation, would you pay the money to replace the original tweeter or get a new set? If you got a new set, which ones would you get?

Thanks in advance!
I see someone on e'bay selling a single speaker for $150.

I'd try and replace with identical to be honest.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Not that this is getting a lot of love just yet, but I have another question. The speakers have 8 ohm nominal impedance (with a minimum of 4 ohms). Is there a way to tell how much of that is the tweeter? If I get a replacement from PE, should I split the difference and get a 6 ohm tweeter? Sorry, I've built speakers and subwoofers from kits but I'm not super technically knowledgeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not that this is getting a lot of love just yet, but I have another question. The speakers have 8 ohm nominal impedance (with a minimum of 4 ohms). Is there a way to tell how much of that is the tweeter? If I get a replacement from PE, should I split the difference and get a 6 ohm tweeter? Sorry, I've built speakers and subwoofers from kits but I'm not super technically knowledgeable.
I just read up on this and realized the depth of my ignorance regarding this.

Anyway, my question still stands, though. I think the total impedance is split between the midrange and the tweeter, so is there any way to figure out what tweeter to get if I get a replacement? Thanks again!
post #5 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8392 Post(s)
Liked: 5604
Quote:
I just read up on this and realized the depth of my ignorance regarding this.

Anyway, my question still stands, though. I think the total impedance is split between the midrange and the tweeter, so is there any way to figure out what tweeter to get if I get a replacement? Thanks again!
Maybe ask in the DIY section?

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
The DM600 Series 3 tweeters are available direct from B&W for $81.09 each and that maybe your best bet if you're going to replace the entire tweeter. I would replace both units and it should be a direct fit/swap. There should not be very much difference if at all sonically.

They also sell the diaphragm assembly for the DM600 S3 tweeter for $61.54 and it may very well fit the motor assembly of the DM600 S1 tweeter. B&W is kind of unique with their tweeters, the way they are assembled and they way they mount in the cabinet. So with the modular design the S3 diaphragm may very well fit the S1 motor.

B&W does sell replacement parts for their tweeters allowing a rebuild of the unit. You might contact them direct and see if parts are available, this is sometimes the case even when the complete unit is discontinued. The tweeter part number for the 602 S1 is ZC10111 and the Metal Dome part number is DD01155. It's not that difficult to tear down and replace.

You can also remove the diaphragm from the tweeter body and carefully push it back out.

The tweeter is attached to the cabinet front baffle board using a twist lock bayonet type mount. This is the procedure to remove it.

1. Remove all screws holding the bass drive unit to the cabinet

2. Remove bass drive unit and disconnect the wiring from the spade terminals on the driver. If they are both the same size (they are on older models) take a note of which way they are connected.

3. Reach into cabinet and grab the back of the tweeter drive unit. Twist it counter-clockwise from the cabinet, it should only require about a 90 degree turn.

4. Remove cable plug attached to tweeter unit.

To replace the diaphragm assembly you:

1. Remove the 3 screws from the front of the tweeter.

2. Remove the tweeter diaphragm assembly by carefully lifting it straight up.

3. Replace with spare part from B&W.

4. Reassemble by following above steps in reverse order.

Here's a video showing diaphragm removal/replacement:

gajCA and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

Last edited by b curry; 05-15-2019 at 01:04 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Maybe ask in the DIY section?
Sorry, perhaps I should have asked there first. My bad! Thank you.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
The DM600 Series 3 tweeters are available direct from B&W for $81.09 each and that maybe your best bet if you're going to replace the entire tweeter. I would replace both units and it should be a direct fit/swap. There should not be very much difference if at all sonically.

They also sell the diaphragm assembly for the DM600 S3 tweeter for $61.54 and it may very well fit the motor assembly of the DM600 S1 tweeter. B&W is kind of unique with their tweeters, the way they are assembled and they way they mount in the cabinet. So with the modular design the S3 diaphragm may very well fit the S1 motor.

B&W does sell replacement parts for their tweeters allowing a rebuild of the unit. You might contact them direct and see if parts are available, this is sometimes the case even when the complete unit is discontinued. The tweeter part number for the 602 S1 is ZC10111 and the Metal Dome part number is DD01155. It's not that difficult to tear down and replace.

You can also remove the diaphragm from the tweeter body and carefully push it back out.

The tweeter is attached to the cabinet front baffle board using a twist lock bayonet type mount. This is the procedure to remove it.

1. Remove all screws holding the bass drive unit to the cabinet

2. Remove bass drive unit and disconnect the wiring from the spade terminals on the driver. If they are both the same size (they are on older models) take a note of which way they are connected.

3. Reach into cabinet and grab the back of the tweeter drive unit. Twist it counter-clockwise from the cabinet, it should only require about a 90 degree turn.

4. Remove cable plug attached to tweeter unit.

To replace the diaphragm assembly you:

1. Remove the 3 screws from the front of the tweeter.

2. Remove the tweeter diaphragm assembly by carefully lifting it straight up.

3. Replace with spare part from B&W.

4. Reassemble by following above steps in reverse order.

Here's a video showing diaphragm removal/replacement:

https://youtu.be/QXIsqqTOwSM
Wow, thank you. This was the most thorough answer possible!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, thank you. This was the most thorough answer possible!
No worries...

Just an after though that maybe obvious by now. The way B&W mounts their tweeters in the 600 series, it makes it rather difficult to use anyone else's drivers because of the twist lock.

I suppose you could remove the diaphragm bezel from the old unit, the twist lock part, and maybe epoxy a different tweeter to it to make it work.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 2181
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Just get out the vacuum cleaner. nothing to lose by trying it first. if you end up tearing it apart (most vacuums have a control for the suction, start low and ramp up), so what? you will be no worse off than you are now.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Just get out the vacuum cleaner. nothing to lose by trying it first. if you end up tearing it apart (most vacuums have a control for the suction, start low and ramp up), so what? you will be no worse off than you are now.
The way the B&W tweeter is built, you'll most likely suck the dome out of the motor before the dent pulls out. A safer way would be to use the tape method. And again, if you're careful, just remove the dome and push it out from the back side.
RayGuy and gajCA like this.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
The way the B&W tweeter is built, you'll most likely suck the dome out of the motor before the dent pulls out. A safer way would be to use the tape method. And again, if you're careful, just remove the dome and push it out from the back side.
Good observation, as I was not aware of the tweeter's construction. The point, however, is still valid. nothing to lose by giving it a shot before going to all the trouble and expense of replacing two tweeters with the outcome in doubt.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page