Magnepan Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Magnepan Question

UI have always been curious about Magnepan, and am currently repacking my speakers . I would love to buy the new model, I think it’s called LRS, sorry if I screwed up the destination , but EVERY review I see says the sane thing... you have to really drive them with good electronics and power, which I always take to mean separates. As much as I’d like to own serrates I don’t have the budget to do what I’d like to. The only way I’d be able to do that is Outlaws 5 channel amp & Outlaws Processor. What I have now is a Marantz 8012 AVR , which is their flagship and rated at 140 watts, and Audioholics took it apart and bench tested it and it’s well made with a big power supply.

What do you think? Would my Marantz drive them ? Would the Outlaw drive them? It’s a little intimidating being these are so different from every speaker I’ve ever owned and I’m really hesitant. I’d appreciate any opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBear71 View Post
UI have always been curious about Magnepan, and am currently repacking my speakers . I would love to buy the new model, I think it’s called LRS, sorry if I screwed up the destination , but EVERY review I see says the sane thing... you have to really drive them with good electronics and power, which I always take to mean separates. As much as I’d like to own serrates I don’t have the budget to do what I’d like to. The only way I’d be able to do that is Outlaws 5 channel amp & Outlaws Processor. What I have now is a Marantz 8012 AVR , which is their flagship and rated at 140 watts, and Audioholics took it apart and bench tested it and it’s well made with a big power supply.

What do you think? Would my Marantz drive them ? Would the Outlaw drive them? It’s a little intimidating being these are so different from every speaker I’ve ever owned and I’m really hesitant. I’d appreciate any opinions.

Try asking here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...rs-thread.html
post #3 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBear71 View Post

The short answer is yes, your Marantz 8012 will drive them. And in general, you'll probably be satisfied with the LRS/Marantz 8012 combination short of maybe wanting to make a comparison with a separate amplifier. A lot will depend on your room size, how close you sit to the speakers, and what volume you want to listen at.

The longer answer is that plainer magnetic/ribbon speakers like the Magnapan LRS generally preform better with amplification that has high current capability. The LRS speakers have a nominal 4Ω rating. Like most any low impedance speaker, ohms law says that to keep the necessary voltage with a low impedance load you need additional current. So playing the LRS's at higher volumes places more demand on the amplifier.

Multi channel AVR's like the 8012 with its 11 channels may well have a 3 digit wattage rating but may fall short of current capability to maintain that wattage with a lower impedance load. So, it comes down to the amplifiers power supply. You only have so much room in a 17" wide box and the Marantz 8012 squeezes in 11 amplifier circuit boards along with its pre-amplifer/processor section and a power supply. Compare that to a separate 2 channel amplifier in the same 17" wide box and you can see that the separate amplifier probably has much more room for a much larger power supply capable of delivering more current.

Keep in mind that just because it's a separate power amplifier, it does not mean or guarantee that it has a larger power supply or more current than your Marantz AVR.

I use a similar speaker to the LRS, an Apogee full range ribbon that drops down to something like 0.9Ω's. I've powered them with 15 watt amplifiers and 700 watt amplifiers. What the two amplifiers had in common was a large power supply capable of delivering ample current.

If you buy the LRS's, you're going to be in for a treat I think depending on what type of music you listen to. They are not going to be the best for Twisted Sister at high volume but they will make acoustic instruments and voice, especially female voice sound as if they are in the same room with you. I believe the LRS's have a 60 day home-trial program so it's painless to give them a try.

I would not be afraid to use them with your Marantz AVR. If you want to add an amplifier that produces more current latter, it's easy enough to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked: 2263
Yes, Maggies require that you take care of the amplification issue. I doubt that the Marantz will be adequate (and I have been an owner of / love Marantz products). In addition, Maggies require a LOT of space around them, so if you have WAF issues where the speakers need to be near walls or you have a small room, look elsewhere.

Bottom line, do it right or don't do it at all ... Maggies are high maintenance!

Call her Margaret or don't call her at all!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-18-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page