Bookshelf Speaker Design Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By Rex Anderson
  • 2 Post By driedmango

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2019, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Bookshelf Speaker Design Question

What advantage/disadvantage do speakers with the woofer on top and the tweeter on the bottom have over standard speakers with the tweeter at the top and the woofer below (or off to the side)? I only ask because I have seen a trend going towards tweeters on bottom and wondered if there is any sonic differences that is actually discernable.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
The idea is to get the tweeter at ear height. There should be no sonic difference but it depends on your setup and how you are stand mounting the speakers. How far off the floor or desk may affect the first reflection from the tweeter.

For what it's worth, Floyd Toole has his Revel Salon2's inverted, the speakers are mounted upside down!
Squirrel!, gajCA, Muza and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 269
It is a matter related to the crossover phase. Crossovers by their nature cannot be perfect; they cannot evenly beam the same energy on and off axis (at least not with real drivers). Supposing the on-axis response is flat there will be dead spots and hot spots above and below the line between the tweeter and the woofer. In such case, the engineers can choose to beam that energy up towards the ceiling or down towards the floor. Sometimes putting the tweeter on the bottom facilitates their choice.

As for tweeters on the side, like in so many center channels, that can be OK for the on-axis listener but anyone sitting to the side may be in a dead spot or hot spot ("Venetian blind" effect). It is better to have a mid below the tweeter. This is often not done for reasons because of shape and then cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-17-2019, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I believe some companies claim flipping the woofer and tweeter reduce some reflections nearfield but I'm not sure how accurate that is
Squirrel! and sdg4vfx like this.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8576 Post(s)
Liked: 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
What advantage/disadvantage do speakers with the woofer on top and the tweeter on the bottom have over standard speakers with the tweeter at the top and the woofer below (or off to the side)? I only ask because I have seen a trend going towards tweeters on bottom and wondered if there is any sonic differences that is actually discernable.
To make you buy taller tippier stands?

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page