Focal 706 overkill for surround? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By pase22

post #1 of 5 Old 05-18-2019, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Focal 706 overkill for surround?

As the title suggests... I have been recommended to try and keep the same brand of speakers as I do an upgrade in my theatre room. I currently have Focal 716 mains and a CC700 centre at the front and B&W DS3 as Surround L&R.

I have a Yamaha RX-V2083 amp and I am looking to upgrade the front presence speakers and buy some surround back speakers.

Keeping the same drivers would see my options as the SR700 surround speakers or the 706 bookshelf speakers. Are these overkill for the presence and surround back channels or spot on? I could buy 605 or 705 bookshelf’s for less but they have the 5” driver vs 6.5”? I don’t have an unlimited budget so trying to do the right thing for the best price I can (I can get ex-demo 605 for $510AUD vs 706 for $770AUD). I don't consider myself a mega-audiophile so I am not sure can pick subtle differences in sound quality. The system is mainly used for movies.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-18-2019, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3600 Post(s)
Liked: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumlov View Post
As the title suggests... I have been recommended to try and keep the same brand of speakers as I do an upgrade in my theatre room. I currently have Focal 716 mains and a CC700 centre at the front and B&W DS3 as Surround L&R.

I have a Yamaha RX-V2083 amp and I am looking to upgrade the front presence speakers and buy some surround back speakers.

Keeping the same drivers would see my options as the SR700 surround speakers or the 706 bookshelf speakers. Are these overkill for the presence and surround back channels or spot on? I could buy 605 or 705 bookshelf’s for less but they have the 5” driver vs 6.5”? I don’t have an unlimited budget so trying to do the right thing for the best price I can (I can get ex-demo 605 for $510AUD vs 706 for $770AUD). I don't consider myself a mega-audiophile so I am not sure can pick subtle differences in sound quality. The system is mainly used for movies.

Help?
Staying within the same brand and product line will give you a more cohesive sound experience. Surround and presence channels are mostly providing background music and ambient sounds so are far less active then the front and center channels. The 605's will work just fine as surround and presence. You just need to set a higher crossover of 90-100hz.

To save money, you could go with cheaper brands, but you would want to get speakers with similar tweeter, drivers and sensitivity. FWIW, I was using cheaper surrounds and it was enjoyable as I didn't feel I was missing anything. After upgrading my surrounds (see signature) I did notice a difference.

Skipping back surrounds and going with 4 presence speakers will give a more immersive experience.
sigpig likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-18-2019, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Skipping back surrounds and going with 4 presence speakers will give a more immersive experience.
The RX-V2083 has the option of selecting a 7.2.2 configuration or 5.2.4. Do you notice much difference between those two and if so what is the conventional wisdom of which is better? I wired my room so that the front presence speakers are 350mm from the side wall and 1900mm from the floor. The rears however are 700mm from the side wall and 1700mm from the floor so I am not sure if that will make much of a difference with separation? (Overall room size is 5.5m long and 4.5m wide. Screen is on the narrow wall)

I can't find any info comparing the SR700 to the 605 yet the SR700 is a lot more expensive yet with a slightly narrower frequency response. Is the SR700 that much better or do you pay a premium for the lower profile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3600 Post(s)
Liked: 3036
Quote:
The RX-V2083 has the option of selecting a 7.2.2 configuration or 5.2.4. Do you notice much difference between those two and if so what is the conventional wisdom of which is better? I wired my room so that the front presence speakers are 350mm from the side wall and 1900mm from the floor. The rears however are 700mm from the side wall and 1700mm from the floor so I am not sure if that will make much of a difference with separation? (Overall room size is 5.5m long and 4.5m wide. Screen is on the narrow wall)

I can't find any info comparing the SR700 to the 605 yet the SR700 is a lot more expensive yet with a slightly narrower frequency response. Is the SR700 that much better or do you pay a premium for the lower profile?
Unless you have multiple rows of seating you wouldn't need the SR700's. The 605's would work quite nicely. The surrounds should be no more than halfway up the wall for proper separation with the presence channels. I don't have direct experience with atmos, but quite a few AVS members have reported that they do get a more immersive experience with 5.1.4 vs 7.1.2. The others will chime in soon to offer some feedback and advice.
sigpig likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9567 Post(s)
Liked: 6613
Quote:

Help?
I doubt it would make much difference as it seems your B&Ws can be used as dipoles, (good for 5.1), or monopoles, (better for Atmos).

I have Usher as my front three and B&W as my rears and have zero desire to change the rears.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page