New build, very large open area, home theater speaker placement questions - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 05-21-2019, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Would it be a waste to do a 7.1 setup with the surrounds and rears in-ceiling speakers? I’m just worried about a 5.1 setup not being loud enough in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked: 5938
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Would it be a waste to do a 7.1 setup with the surrounds and rears in-ceiling speakers?
Not a waste, but those sounds are supposed to come from around you, not above you (that's what Atmos is for).
Quote:
I’m just worried about a 5.1 setup not being loud enough in the rear.
Turn up the surrounds till they're loud enough.

Sanjay
post #33 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 425
GE
RayGuy likes this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8579 Post(s)
Liked: 5779
Quote:
Would it be a waste to do a 7.1 setup with the surrounds and rears in-ceiling speakers? I’m just worried about a 5.1 setup not being loud enough in the rear.
BTW, if you are still noodling speakers, Crutchfield charges only $10/box to return stand mount speakers or centers within 60 days and $75/pair for towers if interested.

They carry some excellent brands.

Geoff A. J., California
post #35 of 45 Old 05-22-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:
The extra two speakers for 7.1 are front wide placement. In ceiling will not work well IMO. The panning movement needs to be in the same horizontal plane. If you set your room up with the TV and front L/C/R on the short wall, I don't see why you couldn't do rear surround L/R with towers or monitors on stands. I think you would get more out of doing four Atmos in ceiling. It is the way things are going and a lot more program material is being mixed for the format. Plan for the future. Most current AVR's/preamp processors are 11.2.

Look at the Lexicon MC-10 and Anthem AVM-60 manuals

https://www.lexicon.com/productdetai...uct/mc-10.html

https://www.anthemav.com/products-cu.../page=overview

Both companies make excellent AVR's with the same setup as the preamp/processors.

You will want to use room correction. Anthem uses Anthem Room Correction (ARC), Lexicon uses Dirac Live. Both are excellent and have been updated recently.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 05-22-2019 at 12:59 PM.
post #36 of 45 Old 05-23-2019, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your replies.

I met with the builder and got some preliminary things completed.

I am mounting the TV on the East wall facing the kitchen.

Based on your recommendations I am having him run 2 sub cables (NE corner and SW Corner of the great room--PLEASE let me know if this will suffice as he could not run any cables to the middle of the floor.

I guess I just need to clearly tell you that I am not attempting an IDEAL situation regarding speakers. I am doing a freestanding LCR setup but really do need some help regarding the rear.

I am trying to simplify this as much as possible because I just don't have the lust for home theater like I used to but want SOMETHING that will sounds decent. I do not care about ATMOS or anything like that.

Receiver will most likely be the Denon AVR-X44o0h or AVR-X6400h.

This is what I think would be the easiest thing to do:

-7.2 setup w/ 4 in-ceiling speakers with 1pr of surrounds located on the sides of the couch and a 1 pr of rear surrounds located behind the listening area. (see pic below)

The reason I am wanting to do 2 sets of surrounds is that I feel a 5.2 setup will not fill up the rear of the room enough due to its size.

I am going against everything I have ever been trained for and contemplating one of these new internet speaker companies like RSL or SVS.

I could do 3 CG25's up front LCR and 4 in-ceiling C34E's for the surrounds. the C34E's have aimable tweeters

I would prefer this setup due to simplicity.

Now, the second possibility would be to mount a set of dedicated surrounds like this one on the walls, if physically possible. I just emailed the builder to inquire about this.

I could do the SVS Ultra setup with these surrounds:

https://www.svsound.com/collections/...ultra-surround

Or maybe the SVS PRIME setup???

That would be a standard 5.2 setup. Would these fill that large room enough, though?

I realize that these 2 options aren't close in price but price really doesn't matter too much. I want simple without going more expensive than I need to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.45.29 PM.png
Views:	8
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	2570928  

Last edited by 355F1; 05-23-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #37 of 45 Old 05-23-2019, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

I am inquiring about this portion of the wall to see if maybe I could get some rears mounted here or maybe some in-walls?

ugh...sorry....the pic isn't attaching as I am currently on a plane to Tokyo.

I will post tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 8.23.38 PM.png
Views:	12
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2570960  

Last edited by 355F1; 05-23-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #38 of 45 Old 05-23-2019, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
This 2013 reviewer had a similar space to fill, and found Polk LSiM HT did the job well.
Oh dear....Polk is currently running a 50% off sale on this line of speakers!!!!

https://www.polkaudio.com/on-sale
Panson likes this.
post #39 of 45 Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked: 2343
The SVS Prime speakers have been criticized by quite a few folks here as being bright and fatiguing. Others love them.

If you go the on-wall route for surrounds, then you would only go with a 5.2 system? No place to put wall-mounted speakers in the rear, as far as I can tell.

Given that you are not interested in Atmos, the original plan of going with four in-ceiling surrounds would simplify the install, be a lot less expensive, and should be more than adequate for your needs. The RSL speakers are often praised for their ability to play louder and cleaner than you would expect from a speaker of that size. The diagram you displayed looks good, but run it by RSL, to be sure the opposite end of the couch will be adequately covered (10 foot ceilings!) and the rears are optimally placed.

The anticipation must be killing you!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #40 of 45 Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
The SVS Prime speakers have been criticized by quite a few folks here as being bright and fatiguing. Others love them.

If you go the on-wall route for surrounds, then you would only go with a 5.2 system? No place to put wall-mounted speakers in the rear, as far as I can tell.

Given that you are not interested in Atmos, the original plan of going with four in-ceiling surrounds would simplify the install, be a lot less expensive, and should be more than adequate for your needs. The RSL speakers are often praised for their ability to play louder and cleaner than you would expect from a speaker of that size. The diagram you displayed looks good, but run it by RSL, to be sure the opposite end of the couch will be adequately covered (10 foot ceilings!) and the rears are optimally placed.

The anticipation must be killing you!
I have read that RSL has excellent customer service so I will shoot them and email!

I have many months to make a decision on speaker brands...but I need to figure out the rear situation by next week.

I'm basically down to one of these:

2 sets of in-ceilings....or, 1 set of dedicated bipole/dipole surrounds on the walls if they will physically fit.

I just don't want to do the cheaper option and regret it because the money doesn't really matter. I would just prefer a cleaner look of the room.
post #41 of 45 Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked: 5938
Quote:
Based on your recommendations I am having him run 2 sub cables (NE corner and SW Corner of the great room--PLEASE let me know if this will suffice as he could not run any cables to the middle of the floor.
NE & SE corners of the room would be better, since both subs should go on the east wall.
355F1 likes this.

Sanjay
post #42 of 45 Old 05-24-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8579 Post(s)
Liked: 5779
Quote:
Oh dear....Polk is currently running a 50% off sale on this line of speakers!!!!

https://www.polkaudio.com/on-sale
They are quite enticing at that price; 45 day return policy though you would have to pay return shipping and you'd have to buy sooner than later as that promo won't be around forever.

They measure very well and look gorgeous to boot.

Review of the 703s here.

Pros
Superb build quality
Strong, defined bass
Great overall sound

Cons
Big
Bright presentation on some tracks

https://www.audioholics.com/bookshel...-audio-lsim703

Geoff A. J., California
post #43 of 45 Old 05-26-2019, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Up to you. The only reason I replied is because you asked: "Would it be better if I used actual bookshelf speakers...?"
Final appt with the builder is Thursday!

I think I am going to do an RSL setup with 3 CG25's up front LCR and 1 set of their CG3 (or possibly CG5s) for rear surrounds mounted up on the side wall with brackets.

I talked to Howard @ RSL by phone for almost 1.5hrs yesterday--amazing dude, I must admit!

Question 1:

Does the forum agree that I will get much better surround with the 2 wall-mounted bookshelves versus doing 4 in-ceiling speakers?

Now...the sub situation.....I am not committed to anything yet. Howard told me that he has had two people buy two Speedwoofer subs and send one back because they said that one was more than adequate. I honestly don't care if it reaches down to 20hz. I watch TV probably 90% of the time, Movies 10%, and Music 10%. Because of this I mostly care about a neutral and accurate center channel speaker due to all the TV dialogue.

Because of this I am going to TRY 1 sub (possibly a Speedwoofer, or maybe the HSU that was recommended in this thread.....if it isn't adequate I will buy another. Again....money is not really an issue but I just don't have the drive to spend money on home theater like I used to.

So, with that.....should I have a (LFE sub) coax run to each corner along the long EAST wall? Or, Would I be better off trying to put the sub next to the speakers first? I did Google sub crawl but I need to have pre-wire decisions made by Thursday for contract finalization!

I did not go with hardwood flooring and instead went with an Italian wood-look plank tile if that makes any difference in sounds resonation--obviously going to do an area rug for the living area to minimize echoes. This will be the first house I have ever lived in without carpet in the living room so I am a little nervous!!!

Last edited by 355F1; 05-27-2019 at 04:27 PM.
post #44 of 45 Old 05-26-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked: 2343
If Howard recommended the on-wall speakers for your surround solution, then that is what I would do. The smaller CG3s (or 23s) are probably enough there, as surround speakers are just not called on to do all that much. They need to be small enough so folks don't come around a corner and bump into them.

As to the sub(s), yes, it's certainly possible you will be happy with only one, as it seems your bass needs are minimal. However, getting even bass in that large an area is never easy, and one sub may not give you enough across your entire seating area, or in the kitchen area, when you are just hanging out listening to music. Adding a second sub is a good way to achieve even response across a wider area.

If it were me, I'd put one sub outlet on each of the two side walls and just run a direct cable to one or both subs if they end up on the front wall (TV wall). Your best position options are two subs in the front corners, two subs at 1/4 distance from each side wall (on the front wall), and two subs on the side walls, bisecting the length of the room.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-27-2019 at 01:39 PM.
post #45 of 45 Old 05-27-2019, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
If Howard recommended the on-wall speakers for your surround solution, then that is what I would do. The smaller CG3s (or 23s) are probably enough there, as surround speakers are just not called on to do all that much. They need to be small enough so folks don't come around a corner and bump into them.

As to the sub(s), yes, it's certainly possible you will be happy with only one, as it seems your bass needs are minimal. However, getting even bass in that large an area is never easy, and one sub may not give you enough across your entire seating area, or in the kitchen area, when you are just hanging out listening to music. Adding a second sub is a good way to achieve even response across a wider area.

If it were me, I'd put one sub outlet on each of the two side walls and just run a direct cable to one or both subs if they end up on the front wall (TV wall). Your best position options are two subs in the front corners, two subs at 1/4 distance from each side wall (on the front wall), and two subs on the side walls, bisecting the length of the room.
I am going to do exactly what you have recommended for sub cables in the pre-wire stage! THANK YOU for the advice!!!!

House is a brand new build and will be done in January.

(I MAY audition one other set of bookshelf speakers in an AB comparison, possibly from SVS, at the same time just to make sure I made the right decision)

I will definitely post all of my results (NOT one of those guys who posts and disappears!)
RayGuy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page