In Ceiling ATMOS speaker recomendation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By yanks1
  • 1 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 28 Old 05-20-2019, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 45
In Ceiling ATMOS speaker recomendation

Hello experts, I'm contemplating inceiling atmos. Which speakers would you recommend that good bang for the buck (a pair).

Looked at used sonance VP46R for $200 a pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-20-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8450 Post(s)
Liked: 5635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
Hello experts, I'm contemplating inceiling atmos. Which speakers would you recommend that good bang for the buck (a pair).

RSL

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

https://hometheaterreview.com/rsl-c3...aker-reviewed/
Asgard1an and Rgarc like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 28 Old 05-20-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 777
RSL also

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 05-21-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What do you guys think about the sonance VP46R ?
post #5 of 28 Old 05-21-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Are they REALLY over $500 each????????????????

Holy smokes.

I have zero budget issues, none, zip, nada, I could easily convince the wife that a $500 in ceiling speaker was "worth it."

But if I were going with in ceiling Atmos I'd get the RSLs.

No way would I spend $500 a pair on in ceilings let alone each.

That is mostly based on hearing numerous AVS member relate how good "average" in ceilings like Polks can be, and the RSLs are above average.

One very recent thread the guy actually switched of ALL the speakers and watched segments of BladeRunner and other new Atmos blockbusters and noted how little real work the Atmos speakers were actually doing.

If I find that thread I'll link it.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 28 Old 05-21-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Look at post 15 here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58075596

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 28 Old 05-21-2019, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 43
One very recent thread the guy actually switched of ALL the speakers and watched segments of BladeRunner and other new Atmos blockbusters and noted how little real work the Atmos speakers were actually doing.

Hey gaj, great advice and guidance as always! I used to be in the same camp as the poster you linked to. I put atmos in two rooms and was kind of underwhelmed at how it performed. But there's a catch - I was only listening to streamed movies. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Xfinity. They were supposedly dynamic movies and they sounded very good, but atmos content was negligible, even on streamed movies that were supposed to have atmos content. I even boosted the gain on atmos channels in my receiver and still not very impressive output. Then I got a new BluRay player in my theater room. Holy cow! Sound from everywhere, with thunderous and dynamic overhead effects and immersive, enveloping sound. Believe the atmos hype, it's awesome! Lesson I learned - the source really, really makes a difference.

I personally have RSL c34e speakers for atmos duty that I bought based on the many glowing recommendations here on AVS. I can't help the OP out on comparing them to any other atmos speaker, but can tell you they sound fantastic in a room full of very high-end, high sensitivity DIY speakers.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-21-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post

Hey gaj, great advice and guidance as always! I used to be in the same camp as the poster you linked to. I put atmos in two rooms and was kind of underwhelmed at how it performed. But there's a catch - I was only listening to streamed movies. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Xfinity. They were supposedly dynamic movies and they sounded very good, but atmos content was negligible, even on streamed movies that were supposed to have atmos content. I even boosted the gain on atmos channels in my receiver and still not very impressive output. Then I got a new BluRay player in my theater room. Holy cow! Sound from everywhere, with thunderous and dynamic overhead effects and immersive, enveloping sound. Believe the atmos hype, it's awesome! Lesson I learned - the source really, really makes a difference.

I personally have RSL c34e speakers for atmos duty that I bought based on the many glowing recommendations here on AVS. I can't help the OP out on comparing them to any other atmos speaker, but can tell you they sound fantastic in a room full of very high-end, high sensitivity DIY speakers.
Thanks for the heads up that Atmos via disc is far superior to streaming.

I found the same recently with music when I had my old Denon SACD player repaired and started using it as a 2 channel CD player vs streaming lossless via my PC.

Dramatic difference.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 28 Old 05-21-2019, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you all.

I currently have a 7.2.2. The last .2 are 2 klipsch height speakers that I use for atmos.
I was hoping to use them paired with 2 inceilings above the seating couch. I will definitely consider these RSL and wait to see when there are promos etc since I'm not in a hurry.

I noticed that these RSL's were angled. So that means instead of putting them directly above the seating, I should see the angle from the ceiling to the couch so that it fires directly above the people sitting?
post #10 of 28 Old 05-21-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you all.

I currently have a 7.2.2. The last .2 are 2 klipsch height speakers that I use for atmos.
I was hoping to use them paired with 2 inceilings above the seating couch. I will definitely consider these RSL and wait to see when there are promos etc since I'm not in a hurry.

I noticed that these RSL's were angled. So that means instead of putting them directly above the seating, I should see the angle from the ceiling to the couch so that it fires directly above the people sitting?
I'd talk to RSL about best placement.

I'm not sure I've ever seen them go on sale to be honest.

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 28 Old 05-21-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 777
In Ceiling ATMOS speaker recomendation

RSLs C34e are never on sale, already value priced.

Also I have pair of Polk RC80i in-ceilings that I purchased for almost 50% less than the RSLs and they’re very good.. excellent value

Good luck with ur choice
Jonas2 likes this.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #12 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
RSLs C34e are never on sale, already value priced.

Also I have pair of Polk RC80i in-ceilings that I purchased for almost 50% less than the RSLs and they’re very good.. excellent value

Good luck with ur choice
These Polks are not rated for ATMOS> I guess my limited knowledge is that what makes an atmos enabled speaker special over say this polk?
post #13 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
outdoor speaker depot has several speakers that fit the bill for atmos at a reasonable cost.
post #14 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 383
The Micca-M8Cs have performed great for me and are well reviewed.

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-M-8C-Ce...x=micca&sr=8-4

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #15 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
These Polks are not rated for ATMOS> I guess my limited knowledge is that what makes an atmos enabled speaker special over say this polk?
In Ceiling speakers used for Atmos and Atmos enabled speakers are two different things.

In ceiling speakers are just that, speakers installed in the ceiling that are down firing and can be used for Atmos tracks. Atmos enabled speakers are upfiring speakers that can sit on top of your front speakers and are designed to bounce the sound off the ceiling to give the impression of sound from above. There are also elevation speakers that can be installed against the wall and ceiling in the top corner where they meet and can also be used for Atmos height speakers.

I have a 7.2.6 setup and use Definitive Technology round In ceiling speakers for the .6

-
Upgraditus is a real disease

Last edited by T-smith; 05-23-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #16 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
In Ceiling speakers used for Atmos and Atmos enabled speakers are two different things. There are also elevation speakers that can be installed against the wall and ceiling in the top corner where they meet and can also be used for Atmos height speakers.

In ceiling speakers are just that, speakers installed in the ceiling that are down firing and can be used for Atmos tracks. Atmos enabled speakers are upfiring speakers that can sit on top of your front speakers and are designed to bounce the sound off the ceiling to give the impression of sound from above.

I have a 7.2.6 setup and use Definitive Technology round In ceiling speakers for the .6
Ok so inceiling are nothing special for atmos, they just downfire the sound. I currently have front heights (2x Klipsch RP-140SA) mounted on the wall in front, so hoping to pair the front height with 2 inceiling above the couch
post #17 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok so inceiling are nothing special for atmos, they just downfire the sound. I currently have front heights (2x Klipsch RP-140SA) mounted on the wall in front, so hoping to pair the front height with 2 inceiling above the couch
There isn't anything special about the design other than that they are designed as in ceiling speakers which you would then configure in your AVR to be used a Top or height speakers.

Id recommend reviewing what your AVR is capable of when pairing In Ceiling (Top) speakers with your existing front heights before purchasing and cutting holes for installation. Typically speakers above the couch would be setup as Top Middle so you want to be sure that your AVR can be configured for a pair of Front Heights and a pair of Top Middle speakers since most / some AVRs have some limitations on the pairings.

-
post #18 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
There isn't anything special about the design other than that they are designed as in ceiling speakers which you would then configure in your AVR to be used a Top or height speakers.

Id recommend reviewing what your AVR is capable of when pairing In Ceiling (Top) speakers with your existing front heights before purchasing and cutting holes for installation. Typically speakers above the couch would be setup as Top Middle so you want to be sure that your AVR can be configured for a pair of Front Heights and a pair of Top Middle speakers since most / some AVRs have some limitations on the pairings.
Ok i have the Denon 6400, I will check.
post #19 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok i have the Denon 6400, I will check.

If the Denon is like the Marantz and Im assuming it is then front height and top middle is an available option.

One thing I would recommend with any In Ceiling speakers is that they have pivoting tweeters that way you can adjust the tweeter direction once the speaker is installed in the ceiling.

-
post #20 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I know everyone here praises the RSL's but to be honest with you any other in ceiling speaker will work just fine. I personally use Klipsch R-1650-C which sells for $149.99 ( As a Set ) at Crutchfield's and is also their best seller. Polk's are just as fine or the Micca's.
post #21 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
I know everyone here praises the RSL's but to be honest with you any other in ceiling speaker will work just fine. I personally use Klipsch R-1650-C which sells for $149.99 ( As a Set ) at Crutchfield's and is also their best seller. Polk's are just as fine or the Micca's.
I was looking a the klipsch that you mentioned on crutchfield and it says $119 a piece

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-a95rYm...SABEgIWifD_BwE
post #22 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I was looking a the klipsch that you mentioned on crutchfield and it says $119 a piece

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-a95rYm...SABEgIWifD_BwE
To the right of the picture, it says Special Offer: Purchase a pair for $149.99 with free shipping. If you are on your phone it may not show it so just call them. I am on my desktop and can clearly read it.
post #23 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
That is what at least on RSL owner found.

He loved the RSLs but thought his older (Polks?) likely were just as good.
doni01 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #24 of 28 Old 05-23-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I saw these micca's as well on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YPS6T6/ref=emc_b_5_t

Now powerwise these klipsch that you mention say 35watts peak of 140w. Is that loud enough?
post #25 of 28 Old 05-31-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
True, many many speakers will work just fine. I've gotta believe though that although more expensive than some others, at their price, the RSLs are a tremendous value, and it is a great company. The people there are a real pleasure to talk to. There's a reason they're routinely out of stock..... The one work of caution, that kept me from trying these myself is the cutout size, pretty large compared to many others, and I just couldn't fit 'em.

For Atmos, as stated, a lot of things will work - getting into music upmixing - then I might proceed with a bit more caution and consideration for the system as a whole. Just my opinion.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #26 of 28 Old 05-31-2019, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Anyone heard any of the Monoprice ceiling speakers? My basement ha a drop ceiling so I need something that has a back cover and a mounting kit. I've been thinking about getting the 8in Alpha speakers: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13683 or https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34198
post #27 of 28 Old 06-04-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I am also setting up an atoms theater and had been all set to go with the RSL, but now I am considering the Micas. Can get all 4 for less than a pair of the RSL and probably won't make too much difference?
post #28 of 28 Old 06-04-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
I am also setting up an atoms theater and had been all set to go with the RSL, but now I am considering the Micas. Can get all 4 for less than a pair of the RSL and probably won't make too much difference?
The atmos content is so minimal that any decent speaker would sound as good. Save your money and go with the Micca's. With the savings you can use it on another piece of equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page