Upgrade my front three from DT Promonitor 1000s - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 35 Old 06-09-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked: 2332
You can probably demo the ML and PSB options locally, so look for dealers. Get the rest in-house via internet and have at it!

I still think you are missing the Q Acoustics option from your list ...

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-09-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 06-09-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan96max View Post
Thanks for this recommendation. I sent the SVS prime bookshelf system back last week and did a rental set of headphones from crutchfield to use their speaker compare. I've been playing around with it for about 4 days now. It's definitely helped clear a few things up for me.

Right away with speaker compare, I selected my current definitive tech speakers along with the SVS prime series. Using the headphones, I could hear exactly what I don't like about both lines of speakers. That was my baseline to get a feel for how accurate the speaker compare tool would be. I appreciate that they allow me to use my own music to do the comparison instead of random test songs I've never heard before. One downside is that I wish they had some type of movie track to demo instead of just using 100% music.

So with days more of research and using the speaker compare tool, I came to the conclusion that I really like the Martin Logan tweeters for the music demos. I don't know how they perform for home theater but out of everything in the speaker compare tool, the heavily discounted LX16s were awesome. The issue is the cost of the center and surrounds to match the system.

PSB made the short list in the speaker compare tool with good performance in heavy metal tracks and sounding pretty good compared to the ML which still remained on another level. Obviously this is all through a virtual listening session.

At this point I need to pull the trigger on something before I lose my mind. So I put together prices on what it would cost to finish out the full 5.0 system from the respective brands. I have no idea what the sound signature of RSL is but I might order a center from them and take advantage of the in home trial to see what they have to offer. When I reached out to crutchfield, the rep discouraged the idea of using the return policy as an in home trial because the crutchfield advisers were well trained in selecting speakers for me. I get it, they don't want returns.

Anyway, these are the configurations I've put together so far. Leaning towards PSB on price but really like that ML sound. Anyone have personal experience with any of these options?

Martin Logan

LX16 x 2 for $480
4i x 2 for $500
Motion 30 x 1 for $700
Total = $1680

PSB

Imagine XB pair for $500
Imagine XC for $400
Alpha P3 pair for $200
Total = $1100

RSL

CG5 x2 for $800
CG25 for $500
CG3 for $270
Total = $1570

OR

CG3 x 4 for $540
CG25 for $500
Total = $1040

Bowers and Wilkins

607 x 2 for $600
HTM6 for $600
M1MB x2 for $500
Total = $1700
Listening to speakers with music better define their pros and cons. If your main use is HT/TV, you'd likely be very happy with the less expensive PSB. If you listen to a lot of music then consider the ML's or B&W. No harm in ordering the RSL as well.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #33 of 35 Old 06-15-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8565 Post(s)
Liked: 5766
Quote:
Thanks for this recommendation. I sent the SVS prime bookshelf system back last week and did a rental set of headphones from crutchfield to use their speaker compare. I've been playing around with it for about 4 days now. It's definitely helped clear a few things up for me.

Right away with speaker compare, I selected my current definitive tech speakers along with the SVS prime series. Using the headphones, I could hear exactly what I don't like about both lines of speakers. That was my baseline to get a feel for how accurate the speaker compare tool would be. I appreciate that they allow me to use my own music to do the comparison instead of random test songs I've never heard before. One downside is that I wish they had some type of movie track to demo instead of just using 100% music.

So with days more of research and using the speaker compare tool, I came to the conclusion that I really like the Martin Logan tweeters for the music demos. I don't know how they perform for home theater but out of everything in the speaker compare tool, the heavily discounted LX16s were awesome. The issue is the cost of the center and surrounds to match the system.

PSB made the short list in the speaker compare tool with good performance in heavy metal tracks and sounding pretty good compared to the ML which still remained on another level. Obviously this is all through a virtual listening session.

At this point I need to pull the trigger on something before I lose my mind. So I put together prices on what it would cost to finish out the full 5.0 system from the respective brands. I have no idea what the sound signature of RSL is but I might order a center from them and take advantage of the in home trial to see what they have to offer. When I reached out to crutchfield, the rep discouraged the idea of using the return policy as an in home trial because the crutchfield advisers were well trained in selecting speakers for me. I get it, they don't want returns.

Anyway, these are the configurations I've put together so far. Leaning towards PSB on price but really like that ML sound. Anyone have personal experience with any of these options?

Martin Logan

LX16 x 2 for $480
4i x 2 for $500
Motion 30 x 1 for $700
Total = $1680

PSB

Imagine XB pair for $500
Imagine XC for $400
Alpha P3 pair for $200
Total = $1100

RSL

CG5 x2 for $800
CG25 for $500
CG3 for $270
Total = $1570

OR

CG3 x 4 for $540
CG25 for $500
Total = $1040

Bowers and Wilkins

607 x 2 for $600
HTM6 for $600
M1MB x2 for $500
Total = $1700
I really like my LX16s.

Compared them a few years back to the excellent Q Acoustics Concept 20s and my vintage B&W CM1 Concept 90s and all were great speakers but I preferred the LX16s by a tiny margin.

While the Motion 30 is likely a better center I find the Motion 8 works very very well with the LX16s at a fraction of the price and can get shockingly loud for such a small center.

Still available on Amazon for $279.

HiFi Heaven where I got my LX16s sells the Motion 4 for $198.

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Martin-L...saAhewEALw_wcB

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Update

I wanted to come back and post what I settled on for anyone that stumbles on this at a later date. I started upgrading components earlier this year starting with the receiver, subwoofer and now the speakers.

The old system consisted of a Pioneer Elite VSX-70 with the Definitive Pro Cinema 1000/2000 which is 4 Promonitor 1000s, a Procenter 2000 and a Prosub 1000. I paid $700 for the Pioneer and around $1800 for the Definitive system. All purchased about 5 years ago.

After trying the SVS Prime Bookshelf system in home, using Crutchfields speaker compare rental and many trips to best buy, I e-mailed RSL to see what they had to offer. I sent multiple emails back and forth with Joe Rodgers there. He had originally recommended their CG5 line but after sending him a picture of my room, he recommended going with their smaller CG3 line. He even went as far as to photoshop a picture of my room to recommend speaker placement. One thing that stood out to me is that Joe himself doesn’t like harsh sounding speakers. I figured if the guy who makes / sells them is on the same page with what I’m looking for then why not give it a shot.

The new system now consists of a Denon X3400 receiver ($600), SVS PB-1000($400), 3 RSL CG23 speakers across the front and two CG3 speakers in the rear ($870). Total price paid for this set up was $1870.

The price is significant because of how good this system sounds as a whole compared to what I had. $870 for the RSL speakers shipped feels like a steal considering how good they sound. This far exceeds my expectations for Music, Movies and Gaming with a speaker in this price range. The speakers are neutral and absolutely never harsh or fatiguing. I’ve been playing Days Gone on PS4 at pretty high volume without ever having to turn it down like I did before. The thing these really nail is realism. No part of the sound feels boosted or embellished. For example, I can hear details like rustling, footsteps, or the creak of a bed as someone lies down. It all sounds very real and natural. It makes me forget about the speakers and focus on the content.

I’ve also started looking forward to listening to Music at home again. I listen to all kinds of music but primarily Numetal and Metalcore while my wife listens to a lot of pop music. A couple stand out songs we kept going back to as test tracks are Blue on Black by Five Finger Death Punch and Senorita by Shawn Mendes. Both sounding excellent with 2 CG23 speakers in 2.1.

So overall I am happy with this set up and feel like my search is over for now. This will make an excellent living room set up. When we move and I have more room for a dedicated theater / gaming room I’ll probably demo the RSL CG25 line against the Martin Logans I liked. That space will have a higher budget for speakers when I get there. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments that helped me on my search!

-Dan
gajCA, Transmaniacon and sigpig like this.
post #35 of 35 Old 07-02-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8565 Post(s)
Liked: 5766
Quote:
It makes me forget about the speakers and focus on the content.

-Dan
Sounds like you nailed it with your choice.

Congrats.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page