Upgrade my front three from DT Promonitor 1000s - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Upgrade my front three from DT Promonitor 1000s

Hoping to get some opinions before I lose my mind researching speakers.

My current setup is a Denon X3400 with 4 Definitive Promonitor 1000's and a Procenter 2000. My subwoofer is a PB1000.

This is for our living room which is a condo. Room measures roughly 12x10 with 8ft ceilings but is open to the rest of the main floor. We'll be moving later this year and have been looking at houses that have basement space or an extra room where I can have a better space for a larger home theater system. So whatever I buy now will be used for our main living room which gets mixed use for HT and TV. I'm sure even with having a home theater space down the road we'll still be using this system for a lot of movie watching and gaming.

I'm looking to upgrade my front three and have been considering SVS Prime bookshelves and center. I was set on doing Ultras for a while but I'm not sure the price jump is justified for HT usage. I haven't heard a ton of speakers but did some Klipsch and B&W demos at the local BB Magnolia store and really didn't like the Klipsch sound. B&W was nice or music but the ones I looked at were a few thousand just for the front towers.

Any opinions on speakers that will be an upgrade of the DT ones I have? Budget around $1000 for the front three. I am most comfortable ordering from Best Buy, Crutchfield or a an ID brand that has free return shipping. Leaning towards the Primes right now but not sure how much of an upgrade they are.

Thanks in advance!
-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Which Klipsch did you listen to?

Last year’s R model?

If so, take a listen to this year’s RP model. It fits right in your budget and is far from what last year’s R model sounds like.

I personally can not justify multi thousand dollar towers for theater. The nuances gained through this are rarely heard in theater.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Which Klipsch did you listen to?

Last year’s R model?

If so, take a listen to this year’s RP model. It fits right in your budget and is far from what last year’s R model sounds like.

I personally can not justify multi thousand dollar towers for theater. The nuances gained through this are rarely heard in theater.

They had a demo of a full Klipsch set up which was the RP280 towers with atmos upfiring speakers and Klipsch subs. The guy that did the demo was 0 to 100 with the volume. He just went straight from quietly shopping in a store to sustained reference level which was well above what I would ever listen to. It was a group of 4 of us and we all left with ears ringing. So maybe a bad introduction to them is at fault for not liking them. A coworker had bought the lower R model towers and really didn't like them. I never heard them myself though.

I assume best buy has the RP600 bookshelves in the magnolia part to demo. Maybe I should try those out in store and control the volume myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Emotiva C2 and T1 towers totaling just over $800 or, even better, $100 over budget and get the T2 towers. Smile and enjoy.
mpk1970 likes this.
post #5 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
If you liked the B&W sound, the Q Acoustics speakers are said to mimic that sound signature pretty well ...

https://www.qacoustics.com/floorstan...aker-pair.html

or:

https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf...aker-pair.html
mpk1970 likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3113 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
The current Klipsch RP series is a good option -- Emotiva is a good option -- And 3 each of the RBH R-515 is a good option for you
https://rbhsound.com/r515.php
Transmaniacon likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #7 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9089 Post(s)
Liked: 6232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan96max View Post
Any opinions on speakers that will be an upgrade of the DT ones I have? Budget around $1000 for the front three. I am most comfortable ordering from Best Buy, Crutchfield or a an ID brand that has free return shipping. Leaning towards the Primes right now but not sure how much of an upgrade they are.

Thanks in advance!
-Dan
Where are you located in case there is a local speaker maker near you or an excellent well known retailer?

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I assume best buy has the RP600 bookshelves in the magnolia part to demo. Maybe I should try those out in store and control the volume myself.
In home testing is the best source

----------------
Who AM I
post #9 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Where are you located in case there is a local speaker maker near you or an excellent well known retailer?

I am in Connecticut.
post #10 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I am in Connecticut.
Lived in Westport as a kid in the late 60s early 70s.

Good times.

Sorry, no great outlets or manufacturers I'm aware of in or near Connecticut unless you go to NYC, (Adorama and B&H Photo).

I'd bring some RP Klipsch home from Best Buy to try for sure and if not happy maybe some speakers from Crutchfield with their $10/box fee to return stand mount and center speakers within 60 days.

PSB Imagine XB are $500/pair Imagine XC $400.

PSB speaker measure very well which is a good indicator of preference.

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
I am in Connecticut.
Dan,

I am in Waterbury. I have the Klipsch RP-8000F in my living room and Ascends Acoustics Cmt 340's in my theater. You are more than welcome to come and hear them.
gajCA, sigpig and mpk1970 like this.
post #12 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
Quote:
They had a demo of a full Klipsch set up which was the RP280 towers with atmos upfiring speakers and Klipsch subs. The guy that did the demo was 0 to 100 with the volume. He just went straight from quietly shopping in a store to sustained reference level which was well above what I would ever listen to. It was a group of 4 of us and we all left with ears ringing. So maybe a bad introduction to them is at fault for not liking them. A coworker had bought the lower R model towers and really didn't like them. I never heard them myself though.

Emotiva offer great value/performance and are currently on close-out. Taking @doni01 up on his offer could be beneficial if it's not too far out of your way.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
Dan,

I am in Waterbury. I have the Klipsch RP-8000F in my living room and Ascends Acoustics Cmt 340's in my theater. You are more than welcome to come and hear them.
Nice setups nice offer!
doni01 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 36 Old 05-24-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
Dan,

Thanks for the offer! I'd love to hear the Ascends since I can't demo those anywhere. I work in Waterbury so getting there will be no problem. I injured my back Wednesday night though so may have to postpone that for a week or two but I will PM you.

I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of outlet SVS ultras last night. This weekends sale put the pair of them at $700. The thing that stopped me was the cost of the center which would put the price of the three fronts a little higher than what I wanted to spend. They don't have a center on sale for the ultra series right now.

The last two days of being on the couch with an ice pack has given me some time to play around with what I have and watch a lot of reviews of speakers. Looking at my space now, I definitely don't have space for towers. I'll have to stick to bookshelf speakers with stands that can tuck under the sub and TV stand (see photo). Also, even though this is mostly a HT set up, the Promonitor speakers I have sound awful in 2.1 for music. I think any of the brands mentioned so far would be a big step up in that regard.

So, I'm still here looking into everything that's been mentioned so far. Still going to shoot for a trip to best buy this weekend to see what they have on display. I'm leaning a little towards SVS because we will be moving so I'd have that upgrade option over the next year if I felt the need to. Still weighing all the options. Thanks for the help so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7444.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	2571066  
doni01 likes this.
post #15 of 36 Old 05-24-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
Thanks for the offer! I'd love to hear the Ascends since I can't demo those anywhere. I work in Waterbury so getting there will be no problem. I injured my back Wednesday night though so may have to postpone that for a week or two but I will PM you.

I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of outlet SVS ultras last night. This weekends sale put the pair of them at $700. The thing that stopped me was the cost of the center which would put the price of the three fronts a little higher than what I wanted to spend. They don't have a center on sale for the ultra series right now.

The last two days of being on the couch with an ice pack has given me some time to play around with what I have and watch a lot of reviews of speakers. Looking at my space now, I definitely don't have space for towers. I'll have to stick to bookshelf speakers with stands that can tuck under the sub and TV stand (see photo). Also, even though this is mostly a HT set up, the Promonitor speakers I have sound awful in 2.1 for music. I think any of the brands mentioned so far would be a big step up in that regard.

So, I'm still here looking into everything that's been mentioned so far. Still going to shoot for a trip to best buy this weekend to see what they have on display. I'm leaning a little towards SVS because we will be moving so I'd have that upgrade option over the next year if I felt the need to. Still weighing all the options. Thanks for the help so far!
The Prime center would work just fine. The voicing should be close enough. Just ask SVS about it.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #16 of 36 Old 05-24-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:

No worries, hope you feel better. Shoot me a PM when you are out and about and will take it from there. Also try to go to Best Buy in Danbury since they have a Magnolia room in there and you can demo different speakers.
post #17 of 36 Old 05-25-2019, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

So this morning was Bestbuy day. Had a solid hour by myself in the Magnolia theater which was really nice. Best of all, they had my current DT satellites hooked up so I was able to compare against what I already have.

The first thing I listened to was the Elac Debut 2.0 series, both the towers and the bookshelf. These were a step up over what I have and sounded good for the wall of cheaper bookshelf speakers. good speakers for the price and by themselves but not my favorite there.

I tried Klipsch but they were in the second room that was really set up to be a complete system with the RP600's as rear channels. So I was primarily listening to the RP8000 towers. The Klipsch sound still doesn't seem like it's for me. The speakers looked awesome but I just don't think the horn tweeters are for me.

After that, The guy at best buy recommended some Martin Logan 15 bookshelf with ribbon tweeters. I liked these and especially liked the small motion 20 towers. At $800ea the towers were over budget but the bookshelf at $400ea were nice. I have never heard ribbon tweeters before these.

Then I went back to the B&W 600 series which were the towers I liked 2 years ago at best buy. I listened to the B&W 606 bookshelf as well as the various 700 series ones. I also mixed and matched the centers in. Out of everything I heard today, the 606 bookshelves were probably my favorite. The 700 series is a clear step up for music but the 600 series really came alive in the movie demos. They sounded much livelier and had a really large sound. For $800 a pair I think these are my front runners at this point. At least of what Best Buy has to offer

I might pull the trigger on the Ultra bookshelves during the outlet sale this weekend and then do an in home comparison against the B&W 606s. Ultras are $700 right now for the pair against the $800 606's. I might have to wait on a center until budget allows but I still have the DT center or I could go with out a center for a while. The SVS prime series is still on the table as well but I don't know what those compare to that I've already heard. Might have to do an in home with those as well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Doing the in home comparisons should be a lot of fun compared to the Best Buy demos.
post #18 of 36 Old 05-25-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
So this morning was Bestbuy day. Had a solid hour by myself in the Magnolia theater which was really nice. Best of all, they had my current DT satellites hooked up so I was able to compare against what I already have.

The first thing I listened to was the Elac Debut 2.0 series, both the towers and the bookshelf. These were a step up over what I have and sounded good for the wall of cheaper bookshelf speakers. good speakers for the price and by themselves but not my favorite there.

I tried Klipsch but they were in the second room that was really set up to be a complete system with the RP600's as rear channels. So I was primarily listening to the RP8000 towers. The Klipsch sound still doesn't seem like it's for me. The speakers looked awesome but I just don't think the horn tweeters are for me.

After that, The guy at best buy recommended some Martin Logan 15 bookshelf with ribbon tweeters. I liked these and especially liked the small motion 20 towers. At $800ea the towers were over budget but the bookshelf at $400ea were nice. I have never heard ribbon tweeters before these.

Then I went back to the B&W 600 series which were the towers I liked 2 years ago at best buy. I listened to the B&W 606 bookshelf as well as the various 700 series ones. I also mixed and matched the centers in. Out of everything I heard today, the 606 bookshelves were probably my favorite. The 700 series is a clear step up for music but the 600 series really came alive in the movie demos. They sounded much livelier and had a really large sound. For $800 a pair I think these are my front runners at this point. At least of what Best Buy has to offer

I might pull the trigger on the Ultra bookshelves during the outlet sale this weekend and then do an in home comparison against the B&W 606s. Ultras are $700 right now for the pair against the $800 606's. I might have to wait on a center until budget allows but I still have the DT center or I could go with out a center for a while. The SVS prime series is still on the table as well but I don't know what those compare to that I've already heard. Might have to do an in home with those as well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Doing the in home comparisons should be a lot of fun compared to the Best Buy demos.

Have fun with it.

As an aside, an AMT (tweeter) is not a ribbon.

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blogs/a...about-tweeters

Nice little bit of knowledge there.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #19 of 36 Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Well at least you know what you like and what you don't I personally like the Klipsch sound especially the RP Series vs the Reference. I did have the Reference prior to the RP and they were on the bright side. I would get a headache within 20 min of listening. The RP don't have that issue. But trying everything at home it will be the key here since the room interactions will be different from the one at Best Buy. I believe SVS have free trials so you can't go wrong with it. Either way trying them at home will be the right thing to do.
post #20 of 36 Old 06-01-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

An update on my speaker search. I pulled the trigger and ordered a full SVS prime bookshelf system with prime center, 2 bookshelves and 2 satellites. I figured this could be a starting point but was hoping I would just love it and not want to look further. Right now I have the front three set up and have about 12 hours of them playing through out the day at home.

So far I am surprisingly disappointed by them. Out of the box, I don't like anything about them to be honest. Even my wife, who doesn't care about this stuff at all, walked in a few times and commented on how bad they sound. The tweeter is really harsh on the center and they lack a lot of the fullness the smaller Promonitor 1000s had. Maybe the DT stuff I have is actually better than I gave it credit for.

I've spent time going through different content that I am familiar with. One of the most noticeable scenes is the opening race in 2 fast 2 furious. I use this as like a show off scene because it has really over blown surround effects and a bass heavy music track. This scene sounded great with the full DT setup, but with the primes in the front and the DT in the rear still, the difference between the two sounds is really apparent. The DT are alive and pull off the raspy engine sounds really well while the primes are somehow harsh and dull at the same time.

Going to give the prime setup the recommended 40 hour break in to see if they open up a bit. I've also started looking at some crutchfield and bestbuy brands that I can bring home to demo against them. Maybe elac or the B&W 600 series I liked at best buy. Not sure yet.
post #21 of 36 Old 06-01-2019, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned RSL bookshelf speakers yet. If the SVS system isn’t your fancy I would at least look into them. 30 day return policy with free shipping both ways, and they have a couple options that would fit into your budget.

(I have never cared for the Klipsch sound, either; and I used to sell them!)

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
post #22 of 36 Old 06-01-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 1552
Quote:
An update on my speaker search. I pulled the trigger and ordered a full SVS prime bookshelf system with prime center, 2 bookshelves and 2 satellites. I figured this could be a starting point but was hoping I would just love it and not want to look further. Right now I have the front three set up and have about 12 hours of them playing through out the day at home.

So far I am surprisingly disappointed by them. Out of the box, I don't like anything about them to be honest. Even my wife, who doesn't care about this stuff at all, walked in a few times and commented on how bad they sound. The tweeter is really harsh on the center and they lack a lot of the fullness the smaller Promonitor 1000s had. Maybe the DT stuff I have is actually better than I gave it credit for.

I've spent time going through different content that I am familiar with. One of the most noticeable scenes is the opening race in 2 fast 2 furious. I use this as like a show off scene because it has really over blown surround effects and a bass heavy music track. This scene sounded great with the full DT setup, but with the primes in the front and the DT in the rear still, the difference between the two sounds is really apparent. The DT are alive and pull off the raspy engine sounds really well while the primes are somehow harsh and dull at the same time.

Going to give the prime setup the recommended 40 hour break in to see if they open up a bit. I've also started looking at some crutchfield and bestbuy brands that I can bring home to demo against them. Maybe elac or the B&W 600 series I liked at best buy. Not sure yet.
FWIW- I found same with Ultra's
You like the Martin Logan's

For something similar at good value check out Emotiva's on closeout---hard to beat the deals they got right now
Check out T1 towers and the monster center c2

I think you will like them

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #23 of 36 Old 06-01-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Look at Infinity Reference -- free return shipping -- on sale
https://www.infinityspeakers.com/ref...urrent#start=1

https://www.infinityspeakers.com/ref...urrent#start=1

----------------
Who AM I
post #24 of 36 Old 06-01-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

More Break in time may improve them a little, but IME if you don't like them now it's not likely to improve. You can try them another day or two, but you likely sending them back. You may want to bring home some Klipsch RP, Kef Q series or whichever else you liked. Make sure you run audyssey or whatever room correction you have whenever you change speakers and don't forget to set the mains back to small after calibration.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #25 of 36 Old 06-01-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=pase22;58127686]
Quote:
More Break in time may improve them a little, but IME if you don't like them now it's not likely to improve. You can try them another day or two, but you likely sending them back. You may want to bring home some Klipsch RP, Kef Q series or whichever else you liked. Make sure you run audyssey or whatever room correction you have whenever you change speakers and don't forget to set the mains back to small after calibration.
I think you might be correct about the primes. They will probably be going back. I am at a family members house all day today and left them running at home with a movie channel on but ultimately I don’t think they are for us.
post #26 of 36 Old 06-01-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned RSL bookshelf speakers yet. If the SVS system isn’t your fancy I would at least look into them. 30 day return policy with free shipping both ways, and they have a couple options that would fit into your budget.

(I have never cared for the Klipsch sound, either; and I used to sell them!)
I didn’t think to look at RSL. I had considered the speedwoofer before I got the pb1000 on sale. I really like the look of what they have to offer. I may give them a call on Monday and see what they recommend. Really trying to stick to the free or low return cost options. Especially now that I will probably send the prime set back.
post #27 of 36 Old 06-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I didn’t think to look at RSL. I had considered the speedwoofer before I got the pb1000 on sale. I really like the look of what they have to offer. I may give them a call on Monday and see what they recommend. Really trying to stick to the free or low return cost options. Especially now that I will probably send the prime set back.

30 day return policy with free shipping both ways!
post #28 of 36 Old 06-01-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You may want to try Crutchfield's speaker compare app. They have a good selection at multiple price points. You can then order 2 or 3 that you liked best and return the ones that you like least after listening on your own gear. They have a $10 flat rate per box (bookshelf speakers) and 60 day return policy.
https://www.crutchfield.com/speakercompare/

post #29 of 36 Old 06-03-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
While they don’t do free return shipping, the Chane A series is fantastic and I personally don’t know many speakers that ofter better sound for your buck.

They use a planar tweeter that offers plenty of detail without being harsh, and the split gap woofer is very impressive.

You could get three A2.4 across the front for $750, and that would be quite an impressive sound stage. There’s a big thread on here for them and the designer Jon is very responsive to any questions you may have.

I’ve heard a lot of speakers in this price range and these are some of the best I can recommend. With your budget you could even upgrade the surrounds fo the A1.5 and have a whole system that will really sound fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #30 of 36 Old 06-09-2019, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
You may want to try Crutchfield's speaker compare app. They have a good selection at multiple price points. You can then order 2 or 3 that you liked best and return the ones that you like least after listening on your own gear. They have a $10 flat rate per box (bookshelf speakers) and 60 day return policy.
https://www.crutchfield.com/speakercompare/

Thanks for this recommendation. I sent the SVS prime bookshelf system back last week and did a rental set of headphones from crutchfield to use their speaker compare. I've been playing around with it for about 4 days now. It's definitely helped clear a few things up for me.

Right away with speaker compare, I selected my current definitive tech speakers along with the SVS prime series. Using the headphones, I could hear exactly what I don't like about both lines of speakers. That was my baseline to get a feel for how accurate the speaker compare tool would be. I appreciate that they allow me to use my own music to do the comparison instead of random test songs I've never heard before. One downside is that I wish they had some type of movie track to demo instead of just using 100% music.

So with days more of research and using the speaker compare tool, I came to the conclusion that I really like the Martin Logan tweeters for the music demos. I don't know how they perform for home theater but out of everything in the speaker compare tool, the heavily discounted LX16s were awesome. The issue is the cost of the center and surrounds to match the system.

PSB made the short list in the speaker compare tool with good performance in heavy metal tracks and sounding pretty good compared to the ML which still remained on another level. Obviously this is all through a virtual listening session.

At this point I need to pull the trigger on something before I lose my mind. So I put together prices on what it would cost to finish out the full 5.0 system from the respective brands. I have no idea what the sound signature of RSL is but I might order a center from them and take advantage of the in home trial to see what they have to offer. When I reached out to crutchfield, the rep discouraged the idea of using the return policy as an in home trial because the crutchfield advisers were well trained in selecting speakers for me. I get it, they don't want returns.

Anyway, these are the configurations I've put together so far. Leaning towards PSB on price but really like that ML sound. Anyone have personal experience with any of these options?

Martin Logan

LX16 x 2 for $480
4i x 2 for $500
Motion 30 x 1 for $700
Total = $1680

PSB

Imagine XB pair for $500
Imagine XC for $400
Alpha P3 pair for $200
Total = $1100

RSL

CG5 x2 for $800