1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kini62

post #1 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Completely new build help

Thanks in advance. I am going to turn a room in the basement to a theater room. I already purchased a BenQ HT5550 and it is on the way. Now to tackle the sound. Right now I am leaning towards the Onkyo TX-RZ830 for my receiver but would be open to changing that if the speaker setup calls for it. So now I need to decide on speakers.

1) Your budget.
$2000 for speakers (the Onkyo purchase is not included in the $2,000. $2,000 is for speakers only)

2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern.
Mostly TV and movies. Some xbox/Nintendo switch

3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon.
I own no audio equipment at all.

4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice).
The room is 16x20 with 9 foot high ceilings.
5) Any placement restrictions.
One side of the room is the stairs that come down to the basement and the hallway that leads back to another room, so there is essentially not one wall there as it is open. The room is finished, but we can run cables if needed (which I will be doing for the projector anyways).

6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.
Not really. I don't know what I don't know. I don't want to overpower the room. The Onkyo might be overkill for the amount of speakers/room size. If so, I'm open to changing the receiver. I also don't know if I can do 5.x.x or 7.x.x properly. I was wanting 2 rows of seating. From reading, it seems that I can't put the back seating against the wall for audio purposes. With that in mind, if I push the seating up to keep it off of the back wall, the front row viewing distance might be too close for the screen so I am torn.

7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider).
From doing initial research, I like Klipsch, but I am not tied to any particular vendor at all. Atmos looks cool, but I can always add that on later if the budget is too low.

8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.)
I like bass. Would like clear voices in movies.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you need any more information. Again, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8467 Post(s)
Liked: 5652
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlincoln View Post
Let me know if I missed anything or if you need any more information. Again, thanks in advance.
The easy to return at Best Buy Klispch RP is a great place to start; try the RP600's as for Home Theater no need to get towers unless you prefer the aesthetic and far higher cost.

Where are you located in case there is a local speaker maker near you or an excellent well known retailer?

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The easy to return at Best Buy Klispch RP is a great place to start; try the RP600's as for Home Theater no need to get towers unless you prefer the aesthetic and far higher cost.

Where are you located in case there is a local speaker maker near you or an excellent well known retailer?
I'm surrounded by corn fields in the middle of Illinois. The closet Best Buy is 45 minutes but it is also my only real option to go see something in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8467 Post(s)
Liked: 5652
Quote:
I'm surrounded by corn fields in the middle of Illinois. The closet Best Buy is 45 minutes but it is also my only real option to go see something in person.
Music Direct is in Chicago but I'm guessing that's too far unless you find yourself there on business or whatnot once in a while.

Here are some great free or almost free return speaker purveyors to take a gander at.

INTERNET DIRECT BRANDS WITH FREE RETURN SHIPPING:

Aperion=> (note, free returns only on full msrp items
SVS
HTD No free returns on tower speakers
RSL
JBL

CRUTCHFIELD BRANDS WITH $10/BOX TO RETURN BOOKSHELVES
Boston Acoustics
Cambridge Audio
Focal
KEF
KLH
Monitor Audio
PSB
Revel
Sonus Faber
Wharfedale

For example, here's an excellent value and dynamic deal going on at the moment for well below your budget with free returns.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...heater-system/

If you don't like how low the sub works but like the speakers simply return the sub and get a larger one from another well known sub company, (HSU, Monoprice THX, Rhythmik).

If you like the whole system and just want another sub, it's only $400 more...and your budget would still allow for four in ceiling speakers for Atmos with that choice.

An easy way to add a second row for once in a while sports viewing with a crowd simply get tall padded bar chairs that swivel.

They take up far less space than a second row of recliners/couches.

That's a great deal on a receiver capable of 5.2.4.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
I'm guessing Lincoln Il? So Bloomington, Springfield or god forbid Peoria for the nearest BBs or anywhere else to listen to speakers.

A Klipsch RP setup using RP600s and RC600 for the front, whatever the RP surrounds are and go with 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos (better money spent than the additional back surrounds). RSL makes some well reviewed in ceiling speakers.

What ever is left and whatever else $$$ that is needed to get a least a pair of 12" subs. The HSU VTF2.5 would be around $1200 for the pair. Which leads to this http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2mk5pkg.html add another sub and you're just over $2K for a really good system.
sigpig likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 2393
Onkyo makes some great receivers for the money. I think you're good with that. Your room is just under 3000 ft^3, so it's at high side of what is considered a medium room for subwoofers. Since your usage will mainly be home theater, the sub(s) will make a huge impact on the experience. This is the last day for the Monolith THX Ultra subwoofer to be on sale for $660 @rak uten.com, so I would certainly snatch one up before the $140 off expires. You can add a second one down the road if you want to go duals. That leaves you $1340 for speakers, which should get you some quality sound. There are a ton of speakers out there and no consensus on what is best at any specific price point. You do want to key on getting a quality center channel, followed by the front L/R speakers. Surround speakers is where you can cut costs of need be. Going with bookshelf speakers over towers for the L/R front speakers is also a place where you can save a substantial amount of $$. I will throw one option out there and that is the HTD level 3 speakers. HTD will also pay return shipping on your first purchase from them if they don't work for you.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 530/520c, 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Pioneer FS52/BS22A/C22. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith AM Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Infinity R152. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31.RBH EP1. Logitech GPro HS. Plantronics RIG 500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,PK5,PH4. UE Boom3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page