Adding (2) Outdoor Speakers to (2) Existing - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-23-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Adding (2) Outdoor Speakers to (2) Existing

Hello, and thanks for your advice in advance!

I have an existing 2 speaker setup in my backyard pool/patio. They are mounted on each end of the house facing the patio/pool.

I just ran new 12AWG Direct Burial speaker wire to both speakers, and ran (2) additional lines to the back side of the patio pool to mount (2) additional outdoor speakers on some light posts.

I'm asking for advice on WHAT OUTDOOR SPEAKERS SHOULD I BUY for the (2) new speakers. Should I match the existing, match the ohms, match the watts? Does it matter?

Here are the specs:

Speakers powered from Sonos Connect (original version, not the new black slim one) (All 4 speakers running off this amp, acceptable per Sonos as long as all speakers have 8 OHMS Impedance)

Connect:Amp
Speaker Impedance - Watts per channel
8 Ohms - 55 Watts
6 Ohms - 82.5 Watts
4 Ohms - 110 Watts

Amplifier Output Details 55 Watt - 8 Ohm - 22 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.02% - 2 channels (main)
AMPLIFIEROutput Power / Total 110 Watt
AMPLIFIER OUTPUT DETAILS
Output Power / Channel 55 Watt
Output Impedance / Channel 8 Ohm
Frequency Response 22 - 20000 Hz
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) 0.02 %
Channel Type main
Channel Qty 2

The speakers I currently have installed (that were here when I purchased the house) are:

Dual LU53PW

Woofer Size
5 1/4"

Type
3-Way

RMS Power
60 Watts

Peak Power
125 Watts

Polypropylene Midrange (mm)
25mm

Piezo Dome Tweeter (mm)
20mm

Sensitivity (dB)

Frequency Resposnse
100Hz - 20kHz

Impedance
6-8 ohms

Cabinet Color
White"

Thank you for your help!

Thank you!

Gordon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-23-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I am of the opinion that you don't have to spend a lot to get decent outdoor speaker performance - besides there are a lot of competing sounds to contend with.

check out outdoorspeakerdepot.com or parts-express.com

Go with at least a 5" /5.25" woofer.. also take a look at the TIC GS-3 - more of a "background" audio type of speaker, but you may be surprised at the low end. and paired with the duals you already have, might make for a nice sound envelope.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 124
If you like the dual's why not just get another pair.Can be had relatively cheap on amazon.especially since your powering with the sonus connect and are happy with that. I have def techs aw5500 under patio roof under eaves next to tv. and aw6500 (recently added)facing pool under the eaves all inline. Great sounding IMHO plenty of bass. Powered with a Marantz nr1605 utilizing main and zone2.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
I am of the opinion that you don't have to spend a lot to get decent outdoor speaker performance - besides there are a lot of competing sounds to contend with.

check out outdoorspeakerdepot.com or parts-express.com

Go with at least a 5" /5.25" woofer.. also take a look at the TIC GS-3 - more of a "background" audio type of speaker, but you may be surprised at the low end. and paired with the duals you already have, might make for a nice sound envelope.
Thanks smithsabom. I would consider the TIC GS-3's but I want to mount them up on a lamp post.

Thank you!

Gordon!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-24-2019, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
If you like the dual's why not just get another pair.Can be had relatively cheap on amazon.especially since your powering with the sonus connect and are happy with that. I have def techs aw5500 under patio roof under eaves next to tv. and aw6500 (recently added)facing pool under the eaves all inline. Great sounding IMHO plenty of bass. Powered with a Marantz nr1605 utilizing main and zone2.
rocky1,

Thanks for your reply. my largest concern is the Sonos requirement of a 4 speaker setup requiring the speakers to be 8ohms and 110watts. I actually made a mistake of my original post....my existing speakers are not the LU53PW, but the LU43PW, so they are only 4-6 ohms and 50 watts RMS Power with 200 watts peak power, a 4" woofer. It sounds like I will have to replace these, as they are only 4-6 ohms and Sonos requires 8 ohms on a 4 speaker setup.

Attached is a list of speakers that online reviews have listed as quality outdoor speakers, but only a couple meet the 8 ohm and 110 watt requirement. Unless the Dual's would work even though they say 6-8 ohms not just 8 ohms.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Outdor Speakers.pdf (69.3 KB, 4 views)

Thank you!

Gordon!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-24-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bombay View Post
rocky1,

Thanks for your reply. my largest concern is the Sonos requirement of a 4 speaker setup requiring the speakers to be 8ohms and 110watts. I actually made a mistake of my original post....my existing speakers are not the LU53PW, but the LU43PW, so they are only 4-6 ohms and 50 watts RMS Power with 200 watts peak power, a 4" woofer. It sounds like I will have to replace these, as they are only 4-6 ohms and Sonos requires 8 ohms on a 4 speaker setup.

Attached is a list of speakers that online reviews have listed as quality outdoor speakers, but only a couple meet the 8 ohm and 110 watt requirement. Unless the Dual's would work even though they say 6-8 ohms not just 8 ohms.
Just get two pairs of these. Given the built-in bracket, they will be easy to attach to poles vertically or under the eaves horizontally. The offset tweeter allows both configurations to work well.

https://rslspeakers.com/rsl-outsider-ii-lp/

That said, the speakers that are out in the open will have no walls/eaves to help reinforce the sound, so they will appear to be far less efficient than the ones with reinforcement. If you have separate volume controls for each set, you will want to increase the gain on the open air speakers relative to the wall-reinforced speakers, so they have the same apparent output.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-24-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
impedance; subwoofer; outdoor , outdoor sound , outdoor speaker , Sonos , weatherproof speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page