HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 218 Old 05-25-2019, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 143
rbfastback, how much budget do you have left and where do you plan to wall mount the speakers?

Also, what are the dimensions of the top 2 shelves?

You might be able to fit a sealed speaker like the NHT SuperOne 2.1 on/in the shelves.

Placing a speaker on a shelf is a compromise, but so is wall mounting to the left and right of your entertainment center, due to the reflections from the sides of the entertainment center.

Another option could even be placing the speakers on the top of the shelf and angling them down towards the couch. Maybe a couple center horizontal center channel speakers would work on top of the shelves (preferably 3-way, like the Emotiva C1), as a center speaker would not be as tall.

Just options to consider...


-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 218 Old 05-25-2019, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
rbfastback, how much budget do you have left and where do you plan to wall mount the speakers?



Also, what are the dimensions of the top 2 shelves?



You might be able to fit a sealed speaker like the NHT SuperOne 2.1 on/in the shelves.



Placing a speaker on a shelf is a compromise, but so is wall mounting to the left and right of your entertainment center, due to the reflections from the sides of the entertainment center.



Another option could even be placing the speakers on the top of the shelf and angling them down towards the couch. Maybe a couple center horizontal center channel speakers would work on top of the shelves (preferably 3-way, like the Emotiva C1), as a center speaker would not be as tall.



Just options to consider...





-


as of now roughly 1k with wiggle room, i’m fine leaving the center out for now to get it next month or 2. maybe another $500plus then

not at home but i’m pretty sure the top 2 cubby shelvesare 9.5ish tall

however if i wall mount them i was hoping to find a telescopic or long arm mount for the speaker that will actually sit the front edge of the speaker past the front edge of the left and right entertainment towers. so i would assume that would be best-ish since it would not bounce or reflect off the side kinda like this but a longer arm


i definitely want a nice center horizontal speaker too tho

i just know there something ill be able to do so i don’t want to restrict the speakers i get just for size that matter right now
rbfastback is offline  
post #33 of 218 Old 05-25-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I've never seen a wall mount that extends as far as you want. Dunno, maybe they exist.

There are some good small speakers that will fit in the cubby; RSL and NHT SuperZero come to mind. Small speakers like those need a high crossover and can sound small...because they are. The Ascend HTM-200 might fit horizontally in the cubby, and it is a sealed design like the NHT models.

Or, as I mentioned earlier, perhaps speakers on top of the shelf towers, angled down.

Good luck, most of us have to make compromises in this hobby.


-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 218 Old 05-25-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,417
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
If you want a speaker mount that extends out quite a bit, research the articulating mounts used for TVs. They have a VESA mount for perfect connection to a TV, so you may need some sort of conversion bracket (or just drill some other holes) to make a good connection to the speaker, but that should not be too difficult. Some even have extension length options. Something similar to this (just be sure the weight rating is well above the speaker weight (double?), don't want any accidents):

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-BEST-117S...SIN=B00IM3AUC0

or this:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10464

or this:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8097

Just noticed that this one swivels, so you could swivel the bracket that attaches to the TV so that one arm is vertical (cross instead of an X), then just use the hole provided to mount to the mounting hole on the speaker ... doesn't get any easier than that!

https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-Mt...VX82P5QGFGCK37

DUH! They ALL swivel! At least the ones I linked ...

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-25-2019 at 12:30 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #35 of 218 Old 05-25-2019, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
I've never seen a wall mount that extends as far as you want. Dunno, maybe they exist.



There are some good small speakers that will fit in the cubby; RSL and NHT SuperZero come to mind. Small speakers like those need a high crossover and can sound small...because they are. The Ascend HTM-200 might fit horizontally in the cubby, and it is a sealed design like the NHT models.



Or, as I mentioned earlier, perhaps speakers on top of the shelf towers, angled down.



Good luck, most of us have to make compromises in this hobby.





-

yeah i’m gonna see what i can figure out for now with mounts, found one that will sit the speaker out 15” and the entertainment center is 19.5 so it’s only 4”
but putting it on the top with a wedge may be what i end up doing for now till i can use stands.

i just don’t want to compromise on the speaker for a temporary thing but i really appreciate all the great advice!


Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
If you want a speaker mount that extends out quite a bit, research the articulating mounts used for TVs. They have a VESA mount for perfect connection to a TV, so you may need some sort of conversion bracket (or just drill some other holes) to make a good connection to the speaker, but that should not be too difficult. Some even have extension length options. Something similar to this (just be sure the weight rating is well above the speaker weight (double?), don't want any accidents):



https://www.amazon.com/ECO-BEST-117S...SIN=B00IM3AUC0



or this:



https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10464



or this:



https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8097



Just noticed that this one swivels, so you could swivel the bracket that attaches to the TV so that one arm is vertical (cross instead of an X), then just use the hole provided to mount to the mounting hole on the speaker ... doesn't get any easier than that!



https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-Mt...VX82P5QGFGCK37



DUH! They ALL swivel! At least the ones I linked ...


Awesome man!!!
that’s a great idea too, i’m always down for a simple project, that design is actually what i was thinking of for the speaker hoping they made one.
rbfastback is offline  
post #36 of 218 Old 05-25-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,417
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Bear in mind that you only need the face of the speaker to extend past the front of the furniture, not the entire speaker. So, speaker depth needs to be taken into account when choosing the mount depth.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-25-2019 at 08:20 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #37 of 218 Old 05-25-2019, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Bear in mind that you only need the face of the speaker to extend past the front of the furniture, not the entire speaker. So, speaker depth needs to be taken into account when choosing the mount depth.


absolutely!
i was just trying to figure that out this morning but i’d have to pick/narrow down the speaker first and have the mount to be exact unless i make one.

when i say i’m 4 inches short that included me mounting the speaker as far farward on the clamps as i think would work without actually having everything needed.

absolutely worse case Ontario i figure out a way to move the kids **** and use stands but i still want it to look goo and not ghetto or cheap
rbfastback is offline  
post #38 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 04:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
For speakers, IMO, look no further than Ascend Acoustics and NHT. Both have nice speaker packages that you can put together and are both highly regarded in the audiophile world.
rbfastback likes this.
mdinno is offline  
post #39 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdinno View Post
For speakers, IMO, look no further than Ascend Acoustics and NHT. Both have nice speaker packages that you can put together and are both highly regarded in the audiophile world.

im beginning to see that
thank you very much!

Last edited by rbfastback; 05-26-2019 at 08:52 AM.
rbfastback is offline  
post #40 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 143
If you go with RayGuy's TV mount suggestion, you might consider the NHT SuperOne or C3 or Ascend CBM-170 speakers because they already have threaded inserts in the back. You would probably need to drill additional holes in the VESA mount or add a custom plate to match the speaker inserts, but at least you would not have to drill holes in the speakers.


-
rbfastback likes this.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is offline  
post #41 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
If you go with RayGuy's TV mount suggestion, you might consider the NHT SuperOne or C3 or Ascend CBM-170 speakers because they already have threaded inserts in the back. You would probably need to drill additional holes in the VESA mount or add a custom plate to match the speaker inserts, but at least you would not have to drill holes in the speakers.





-


o wow that’s perfect!
i really don’t wanna drill into the speakers so that’s great info!
rbfastback is offline  
post #42 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
as of now roughly 1k with wiggle room, i’m fine leaving the center out for now to get it next month or 2. maybe another $500plus then

not at home but i’m pretty sure the top 2 cubby shelvesare 9.5ish tall

however if i wall mount them i was hoping to find a telescopic or long arm mount for the speaker that will actually sit the front edge of the speaker past the front edge of the left and right entertainment towers. so i would assume that would be best-ish since it would not bounce or reflect off the side kinda like this but a longer arm
...
Those decorative cabinets look really nice, but have you considered just removing them (and maybe putting them somewhere else) and putting two bookshelf speakers on short stands right alongside the TV?

It wouldn't look as nice, but then again, it's not going to look very nice if you have speakers telescoping way out from the walls, either.

To sell the idea of getting rid of the cabinets, you can get bookshelf speakers with furniture-grade cabinets. The Polk RTi cabinets look really nice IMO for example, nice curved wood veneers. Some of the Wharfedale Diamonds, too.

The price will be a bit of a stretch, but Aperion Audio makes some really beautiful speakers and all the reviews I've read say they sound great. Sometimes they do closeout deals or sell refurbished stock and that can get the price down.

I don't think any of these options will sound better than e.g. the Ascends, but they'll look good and get you 80% of the way there. The Ascends are not good-looking speakers.
rbfastback likes this.
motrek is online now  
post #43 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,417
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
RSL has good looking speakers. They should be on the short list.

That said, from an aesthetic perspective, speakers on stands or tower speakers just outside the cabinet would present a far better look than the extended wall mount scenario you are considering. For an inexpensive (relatively) entry into this realm, look at Polk S55 and Q Acoustics 3050i. For bookshelf options Polk has the S15 and QA has the 3020i or the Concept 20. If sleeping in your own bedroom is a priority in your life, you might give some consideration to this advice ...

rbfastback likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-26-2019 at 11:28 AM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #44 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
RSL has good looking speakers. They should be on the short list.

That said, from an aesthetic perspective, speakers on stands or tower speakers just outside the cabinet would present a far better look than the extended wall mount scenario you are considering. For an inexpensive (relatively) entry into this realm, look at Polk S55 and Q Acoustics 3050i. For bookshelf options Polk has the S15 and QA has the 3020i or the Concept 20. If sleeping in your own bedroom is a priority in your life, you might give some consideration to this advice ...

Sounds like rbfastback is running up against some space constraints to even place a subwoofer to the left/right of the entertainment center, much less two tower speakers and a subwoofer. Dunno.

Although with two tower speakers, you might not need a subwoofer. I have two towers and I think my setup sounds good. It only goes down to 40Hz so it's not shaking my house's foundation, but lots of nice sound systems only go down to 40Hz.

If you're going to have each tower a couple feet away from the TV though, I think a center channel becomes a necessity...

I'm inclined to suggest getting rid of the top shelves in those decorative cabinets (not sure if they're removable??) and putting bookshelf speakers in those spots, but then you're really limiting your options by cutting out any rear-ported speakers. The NHT SuperOnes should fit nicely with that shelf removed...
motrek is online now  
post #45 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,417
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Sounds like rbfastback is running up against some space constraints to even place a subwoofer to the left/right of the entertainment center, much less two tower speakers and a subwoofer. Dunno.

Although with two tower speakers, you might not need a subwoofer. I have two towers and I think my setup sounds good. It only goes down to 40Hz so it's not shaking my house's foundation, but lots of nice sound systems only go down to 40Hz.

If you're going to have each tower a couple feet away from the TV though, I think a center channel becomes a necessity...

I'm inclined to suggest getting rid of the top shelves in those decorative cabinets (not sure if they're removable??) and putting bookshelf speakers in those spots, but then you're really limiting your options by cutting out any rear-ported speakers. The NHT SuperOnes should fit nicely with that shelf removed...
Good observations. The NHT and RSL options are sealed / front ported designs, so they would be 1a and 1b on the shelf-placement options list. Agreed about the necessity for a center channel if the speakers are so far apart. However, the center speaker needs to be at the front of the cabinet, not the back (as the current one is shown), otherwise the early reflections will ruin the dialog and generally muddy the sound. He might even consider a three channel passive soundbar at the front of that cabinet, if there is no room for two speakers and the sub in the front of the room.

@rbfastback ... what is the height measurement of the opening of the shelves that are on the same level as the center channel speaker? Seems to me that the most cost-effective solution to all your problems is to put speakers there. Then, the sub can go anywhere it will fit.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-26-2019 at 12:45 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #46 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Good observations. The NHT and RSL options are sealed / front ported designs, so they would be 1a and 1b on the shelf-placement options list. Agreed about the necessity for a center channel if the speakers are so far apart. However, the center speaker needs to be at the front of the cabinet, not the back, as the current one is shown, otherwise the early reflections will ruin the dialog and generally muddy the sound. He might even consider a three channel passive soundbar at the front of that cabinet, if there is no room for two speakers and the sub in the front of the room.
RSLs are sealed? I'm not familiar with their offerings although I know they have fans and usually get good reviews.

Looking at their web site I'm only seeing offerings that have a "compression guide" enclosure which looks like a simplified folded horn. Looks a lot like Atlantic Technology's "H-PAS" enclosure actually.

Frequency response of one of their bookshelf models looks a little choppy?

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench
motrek is online now  
post #47 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,417
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
RSLs are sealed? I'm not familiar with their offerings although I know they have fans and usually get good reviews.

Looking at their web site I'm only seeing offerings that have a "compression guide" enclosure which looks like a simplified folded horn. Looks a lot like Atlantic Technology's "H-PAS" enclosure actually.

Frequency response of one of their bookshelf models looks a little choppy?

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench
Nope, misspoke (since edited and corrected).
motrek likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #48 of 218 Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
RSL has good looking speakers. They should be on the short list.



That said, from an aesthetic perspective, speakers on stands or tower speakers just outside the cabinet would present a far better look than the extended wall mount scenario you are considering. For an inexpensive (relatively) entry into this realm, look at Polk S55 and Q Acoustics 3050i. For bookshelf options Polk has the S15 and QA has the 3020i or the Concept 20. If sleeping in your own bedroom is a priority in your life, you might give some consideration to this advice ...




screw it i sleep in my own room anyway haha since i’m usually up till 2-3am and she’s goes to bed at 9 then up at 6..
i snore really loud too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Sounds like rbfastback is running up against some space constraints to even place a subwoofer to the left/right of the entertainment center, much less two tower speakers and a subwoofer. Dunno.



Although with two tower speakers, you might not need a subwoofer. I have two towers and I think my setup sounds good. It only goes down to 40Hz so it's not shaking my house's foundation, but lots of nice sound systems only go down to 40Hz.



If you're going to have each tower a couple feet away from the TV though, I think a center channel becomes a necessity...



I'm inclined to suggest getting rid of the top shelves in those decorative cabinets (not sure if they're removable??) and putting bookshelf speakers in those spots, but then you're really limiting your options by cutting out any rear-ported speakers. The NHT SuperOnes should fit nicely with that shelf removed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Good observations. The NHT and RSL options are sealed / front ported designs, so they would be 1a and 1b on the shelf-placement options list. Agreed about the necessity for a center channel if the speakers are so far apart. However, the center speaker needs to be at the front of the cabinet, not the back (as the current one is shown), otherwise the early reflections will ruin the dialog and generally muddy the sound. He might even consider a three channel passive soundbar at the front of that cabinet, if there is no room for two speakers and the sub in the front of the room.



@rbfastback ... what is the height measurement of the opening of the shelves that are on the same level as the center channel speaker? Seems to me that the most cost-effective solution to all your problems is to put speakers there. Then, the sub can go anywhere it will fit.

when i do get the center channel it will be pulled forward to the edge, i just have to adjust the mount on the tv for more space.
that center sounds bar was a super cheap gift that cost nothing and i didn’t want them to feel bad so i just put it there, the tv speakers are better lol.

all shelves are 9.5” openings but read the update below


UPDATE:
everyone is definitely right (and EXTREMELY helpful)
trust me those tall decorative cabinets aren’t going anywhere right now and the shelves are not adjustable or removable and i really don’t want to limit the speaker selection by size or rear port or use towers for the main reason of getting more for my money with bookshelves ( i really like the tower look)

i told her this was just a small/inexpensive project (under 800-1000) since till the kids are in school i stopped working.

SO i talked to my her about it an just told her we gotta move some stuff around cuz the wall mounts (no matter what if we keep our decorative entertainment center) will not look good aesthetically and sound as good as it could.

•so i’ll have room for left and right bookshelf’s WITH STANDS on the sides of the tall decorative cabinets!

then the sub i’ll figure out next.
either right side corner or to the left of the left bookshelf.

so no more size restrictions on what bookshelves, and yes the ascends are not the most beautiful and that was pushing me more towards the others lately.

i was looking at the sierra 1’s but they are definitely more and the center channel for those would not work cuz my ocd couldn’t handle a non symmetrical sideways speaker
( i want the center to look similar to most long short centers, like the cmt 340)
rbfastback is offline  
post #49 of 218 Old 05-27-2019, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

ok so i absolutely love the all the comments and reviews on the ascend cbm 170 and 340, i just wish they looked a bit better (still may get them tho, looks aren’t everything but it’s a strong factor still) but i don’t want the sierra 1’s since the center won’t work/don’t like in my setup. idk why they make it like a sideways bookshelf....

what do u guys this the closest match to the ascends?

from all of my reading and reviews id say the kef q350 are very close to what i’m looking for and my second favorite so far (without listening)
i think they are better looking too


my list in order is:

-Ascends CBM 170( aside from listening i’m thinking they will be perfect aside from not looking very good)
-KEF Q-350 ($500 open box)
-Infinity Reference r162
and the rc263 center($400 shipped)

possibly polk s20’s for looks over infinity ref 162?

i think the svs prime definitely look the best and will match best but i keep reading controversial comments.
too bright, harsh and cause fatigue?

can anyone confirm this or say what they think of them?
i want them to work the best for visuals but it’s not more important then the quality of sound i want for ht.

Last edited by rbfastback; 05-27-2019 at 06:18 AM.
rbfastback is offline  
post #50 of 218 Old 05-27-2019, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

i want the ascend 170’s in black piano gloss!
maybe if i ask nicely...
motrek likes this.
rbfastback is offline  
post #51 of 218 Old 05-27-2019, 08:12 AM
Senior Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
ok so i absolutely love the all the comments and reviews on the ascend cbm 170 and 340, i just wish they looked a bit better (still may get them tho, looks aren’t everything but it’s a strong factor still) but i don’t want the sierra 1’s since the center won’t work/don’t like in my setup. idk why they make it like a sideways bookshelf....
I think they don't really "make" it, they just take a regular Sierra bookshelf and turn the tweeter 90 degrees, for people who don't want to spend $1000+ on the Sierra Horizon. EDIT: A solution to the asymmetry is to put the speaker grilles on...

Quote:
what do u guys this the closest match to the ascends?

from all of my reading and reviews id say the kef q350 are very close to what i’m looking for and my second favorite so far (without listening)
i think they are better looking too

my list in order is:

-Ascends CBM 170( aside from listening i’m thinking they will be perfect aside from not looking very good)
-KEF Q-350 ($500 open box)
I don't know if the KEFs would be similar to the Ascends but they do measure very well. They'd be on my short list too if I was buying new speakers.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

Quote:
-Infinity Reference r162
and the rc263 center($400 shipped)
That looks like the refurb price. If you're okay with refurb it does look like you can save a stupid amount of money. (Also these speakers will sometimes go on sale for prices that aren't much higher than these refurb prices, but it's a pain to wait for a sale.) If you like the idea of tower speakers and how they look, maybe get a pair of R253s instead of R162s for only $200 more... and not even that much more, considering you wouldn't have to buy speaker stands for them... and the towers put out enough bass that you wouldn't have to sort out a subwoofer immediately. Then again, if you're just auditioning the speakers and there's a possibility you might return them, it's going to be a LOT easier to return bookshelf speakers vs. towers...

Quote:
possibly polk s20’s for looks over infinity ref 162?
I've only read good things about the Polks but for some reason I suspect they might be good for their price, whereas I think the Infinitys are probably competitive with any speakers at any price. The reason I say this is because data has trickled out of Harman about a couple of previous models of Infinity (Interlude IL 40 and Primus P360, I think) that show them beating vastly more expensive speakers in double-blind testing and having nearly ideal spin-o-rama plots.

Quote:
i think the svs prime definitely look the best and will match best but i keep reading controversial comments.
too bright, harsh and cause fatigue?

can anyone confirm this or say what they think of them?
i want them to work the best for visuals but it’s not more important then the quality of sound i want for ht.
This reviewer gave them a pretty good review but not amazing, I'd be more inclined to try the KEFs, Ascends, or Infinitys.

http://noaudiophile.com/SVS_Prime_Bookshelf/

If you're thinking about looks to the point where you're considering moving up in price range to Ascend Sierras, etc., you could just buy a pair of Revel M16s and call it a day.
motrek is online now  
post #52 of 218 Old 05-27-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,417
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Inexpensive and pretty? You're back to RSL and Q Acoustics. And, yes, the SVS Prime can be fatiguing, according to many reports on this site and elsewhere.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...helf-speakers/

The KEF Q350 looks great, but how much is the matching center channel? ... annnnnd that eliminates it from the competition.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-27-2019 at 12:16 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #53 of 218 Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
I think they don't really "make" it, they just take a regular Sierra bookshelf and turn the tweeter 90 degrees, for people who don't want to spend $1000+ on the Sierra Horizon. EDIT: A solution to the asymmetry is to put the speaker grilles on...







I don't know if the KEFs would be similar to the Ascends but they do measure very well. They'd be on my short list too if I was buying new speakers.



https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements







That looks like the refurb price. If you're okay with refurb it does look like you can save a stupid amount of money. (Also these speakers will sometimes go on sale for prices that aren't much higher than these refurb prices, but it's a pain to wait for a sale.) If you like the idea of tower speakers and how they look, maybe get a pair of R253s instead of R162s for only $200 more... and not even that much more, considering you wouldn't have to buy speaker stands for them... and the towers put out enough bass that you wouldn't have to sort out a subwoofer immediately. Then again, if you're just auditioning the speakers and there's a possibility you might return them, it's going to be a LOT easier to return bookshelf speakers vs. towers...







I've only read good things about the Polks but for some reason I suspect they might be good for their price, whereas I think the Infinitys are probably competitive with any speakers at any price. The reason I say this is because data has trickled out of Harman about a couple of previous models of Infinity (Interlude IL 40 and Primus P360, I think) that show them beating vastly more expensive speakers in double-blind testing and having nearly ideal spin-o-rama plots.







This reviewer gave them a pretty good review but not amazing, I'd be more inclined to try the KEFs, Ascends, or Infinitys.



http://noaudiophile.com/SVS_Prime_Bookshelf/



If you're thinking about looks to the point where you're considering moving up in price range to Ascend Sierras, etc., you could just buy a pair of Revel M16s and call it a day.

i thought so too about the price being so low but didn’t see anything saying refurbished on the harmen or infinity site, same price on both sites

https://www.infinityspeakers.com/ref...urrent#start=1

https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers...24060e&start=1

just says sale price


i looked all over the web for the r253’s and they all say sold out or unavailable.
i see the r253’s tho

i may take a little more time to consider how important looks are.

i never considered towers since i am always reading about how for the same money bookshelf’s will get you more. however towers are sexy

Last edited by rbfastback; 05-27-2019 at 07:03 PM.
rbfastback is offline  
post #54 of 218 Old 05-27-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Inexpensive and pretty? You're back to RSL and Q Acoustics. And, yes, the SVS Prime can be fatiguing, according to many reports on this site and elsewhere.



https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...helf-speakers/



The KEF Q350 looks great, but how much is the matching center channel? ... annnnnd that eliminates it from the competition.


yeah your right, i just need to figure out my planed future expenses into this project, i don’t mind paying for an expensive center down the road. i’m sure ill be fine with the BS’s and a sub for a month or so.
rbfastback is offline  
post #55 of 218 Old 05-27-2019, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
links aren’t loading in the forum but if u go it infinityspeakers.com or harmenaudio.com and search them u can see they are $200.
either way i think i’m definitely going to order a set of LCR infinity ref.

that’s so cheap and i can use them in my main room till i pick something else or just stick with them till i’ve learned enough to truly appreciate the next level up
rbfastback is offline  
post #56 of 218 Old 05-27-2019, 11:07 PM
Senior Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
...
i looked all over the web for the r253’s and they all say sold out or unavailable.
i see the r253’s tho
...
Good catch on that price. At those prices they're a steal.

I assume you meant you couldn't find the R263s... I would say just get the R253s, that's what I did. I had the money for the R263s but they're bigger and heavier and the only difference is that they give you 3 extra Hz of bass extension. Not worth it IMO. I have an open floorplan with really high vaulted ceilings and the R253s have no trouble filling my space.

That's true that for the same price, you can get a better bookshelf, but at half off, seems like you might as well go for the towers!
motrek is online now  
post #57 of 218 Old 05-28-2019, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Good catch on that price. At those prices they're a steal.



I assume you meant you couldn't find the R263s... I would say just get the R253s, that's what I did. I had the money for the R263s but they're bigger and heavier and the only difference is that they give you 3 extra Hz of bass extension. Not worth it IMO. I have an open floorplan with really high vaulted ceilings and the R253s have no trouble filling my space.



That's true that for the same price, you can get a better bookshelf, but at half off, seems like you might as well go for the towers!

ok cool, yes i meant the R263 can not be found.

and yes i’m going to get the 253’s just because that’s a great price!

would the R162 BS’s be good for rear L/R?

and lastly would the RC252 or RC263 better fit the towers?
EDIT:
i figure the 3way with lower Frequency Response vs 2way is much better but i’m probably going to get the rc253 for its size

Last edited by rbfastback; 05-28-2019 at 10:03 AM.
rbfastback is offline  
post #58 of 218 Old 05-28-2019, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

i’m my shopping cart i have
-1 pair R253 towers
-1 RC263 center
-1 pair RS152

should i get anything else since matching in the future may be impossible at this price?

ill get the svs sub next month

i hope the r253 has as great sound measuring as the r263’s (maybe not a proper term)

will the RS152 be a good surround vs the r163? more compact and a better shape for visuals i thought.
i’m always reading the rear isn’t as important
rbfastback is offline  
post #59 of 218 Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

ordered:
the infinity reference
-R253 towers
-RC252 center
-RS152 rears
$783 shipped

edit: i’m ordering the svs pc-2000 in a few weeks

called infinity and they have amazing and free return policy even with the towers.


i dont think i will be returning them at that price anyway tho and i’m sure from everything i can find on them ill be very happy.


i am still going to continue with my current short list adventure and auditions of bookshelf’s tho since eventually i’ll put these in the other room when i have more $ for a better looking living room setup.

i haven’t even got the system yet and i already want to have more.

Last edited by rbfastback; 05-29-2019 at 06:19 AM.
rbfastback is offline  
post #60 of 218 Old 05-28-2019, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
ordered:
the infinity reference
-R253 towers
-RC252 center
-RS152 rears
$795 shipped
I'd get the RC263 if you possibly can. better center than the RC252
https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers...1c0e12&start=1
cocrh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off