HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
I'd get the RC263 if you possibly can. better center than the RC252

https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers...1c0e12&start=1
ok so i also just ordered the RC263 also

i was going to do that originally but it’s too tall so i had second thoughts.

i can always adjust my tv bracket to be another 3-4” higher tho

i’ll have both now and see for myself what works best.
sigpig and cocrh like this.

Last edited by rbfastback; 05-28-2019 at 10:05 AM.
rbfastback is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
i’m my shopping cart i have
-1 pair R253 towers
-1 RC263 center
-1 pair RS152
Nice choices. All the products in a model line (doesn't matter which brand) are designed to sound good together. So, no worries if the towers don't "match" the center or whatever.

Quote:
should i get anything else since matching in the future may be impossible at this price?

ill get the svs sub next month
I don't know how your music/movie choices run but you might decide that you don't even need the sub. The towers will go down to ~40Hz. That's as low, or lower, than most dedicated subwoofers that come with sound bars or home-theater-in-a-boxes. Depends on your goals and preferences of course.

Quote:
i hope the r253 has as great sound measuring as the r263’s (maybe not a proper term)
Yes, they will sound as good, the only difference is that the enclosures aren't quite as big and the bass drivers are 5.5" instead of 6.5". They have exactly the same tweeters and midrange drivers. The difference is sort of like the difference between the Revel F35 and the Revel F36 floorstanders. Somebody posted spinorama graphs of both of those speakers in the Revel thread and the only difference is a tiny amount of bass. If you didn't see the graphs next to each other you almost certainly couldn't tell them apart.

Quote:
will the RS152 be a good surround vs the r163? more compact and a better shape for visuals i thought.
i’m always reading the rear isn’t as important
Probably almost exactly as good. The only major difference between the two is the amount of bass they can put out, and in a home theater situation, your bass is almost always going to be covered by the towers or sub(s). At frequencies lower than 80Hz, bass becomes very non-directional and you won't be able to tell that it isn't coming out of the surround speakers. Not that there's much surround content usually anyway.
rbfastback likes this.
motrek is offline  
post #63 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Nice choices. All the products in a model line (doesn't matter which brand) are designed to sound good together. So, no worries if the towers don't "match" the center or whatever.



I don't know how your music/movie choices run but you might decide that you don't even need the sub. The towers will go down to ~40Hz. That's as low, or lower, than most dedicated subwoofers that come with sound bars or home-theater-in-a-boxes. Depends on your goals and preferences of course.



Yes, they will sound as good, the only difference is that the enclosures aren't quite as big and the bass drivers are 5.5" instead of 6.5". They have exactly the same tweeters and midrange drivers. The difference is sort of like the difference between the Revel F35 and the Revel F36 floorstanders. Somebody posted spinorama graphs of both of those speakers in the Revel thread and the only difference is a tiny amount of bass. If you didn't see the graphs next to each other you almost certainly couldn't tell them apart.



Probably almost exactly as good. The only major difference between the two is the amount of bass they can put out, and in a home theater situation, your bass is almost always going to be covered by the towers or sub(s). At frequencies lower than 80Hz, bass becomes very non-directional and you won't be able to tell that it isn't coming out of the surround speakers. Not that there's much surround content usually anyway.



ok i figured but wanted to be sure about them matching up

i’m going to try it out first to see how the bass is but from what i’ve listened to at BB and friends houses I’m sure ill still want one, i can take my time now tho

and that makes me feel much better actually about the r253 being on the same level aside from some low end bass, i also have been reading the infinity-reference-owners-thread and i see a lot of great info on the r253’s.

not sure if it will look strange or not with the RC263 center having 6.5” but the tower having 5.5” but that’s nothing the grill won’t take care of.

i’m assuming it will be helpful with a few 6.5” in the center from what i’ve read about how it’s good having all different size speakers for ht/music

that makes sense with the surrounds too
that’s good since they are smaller and will fit better then the BS’s on my back wall

thanks for all the great info!

Last edited by rbfastback; 05-28-2019 at 12:54 PM.
rbfastback is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
...
and that makes me feel much better actually about the r253 being on the same level aside from some low end bass, i also have been reading the infinity-reference-owners-thread and i see a lot of great info on the r253’s.
Yup. Sorry if it looks like I've been pushing too hard for the Infinitys but I researched tower speakers off-and-on for months before finally making a purchase and the Infinitys were the clear choice to me even though I was willing to spend twice as much.

First of all, Harman clearly poured their research into the old line of Primus speakers and those things were giant killers even though they were super cheap (and looked super cheap). There's no reason to think they didn't do the same with the Reference line, and the Reference line is more expensive and seems to improve over the Primus line in every possible way.

And second, there's a lot of similarity between the Reference line and Revel speakers. If you compare e.g. the R253 to the Revel F35: the drivers seem to use the same cone/dome material, the tweeters seem to use the same waveguide and acoustic lens and are crossed over and the same frequency, and the cabinets have almost the same dimensions and weight and approximate shape and port configuration. You could make an argument that the R253 is more sophisticated since it's a 3-way instead of a 2.5-way (and it has that flat midrange driver too). So it really seems likely that with the Reference line, you're probably getting 90% of the performance for less than half the price (and taking a hit in the looks department). That's hard to beat IMO.

Quote:
not sure if it will look strange or not with the RC263 center having 6.5” but the tower having 5.5” but that’s nothing the grill won’t take care of.
The speakers (tower vs. center) are already so different visually that I doubt you'd notice the difference. I mean, I'm sure you could notice the difference if you looked for it, but I can't imagine it would bother you.

Quote:
i’m assuming it will be helpful with a few 6.5” in the center from what i’ve read about how it’s good having all different size speakers for ht/music
Having a nice big center is good for home theater because almost all dialogue goes to the center channel. (That being said, the RC263 looks like a monster and you might just not want something that big.)

Almost all music is 2-channel so you'll probably just want to play music out of the tower speakers, and maybe the sub when you get one. Lots of people don't like listening to music with a sub because it's difficult to get subs to integrate perfectly.

Your receiver will have various modes to play music out of all your speakers. Some people like that stuff. I turn it all off since I figure that's not how the music was recorded or intended to be played.
motrek is offline  
post #65 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Yup. Sorry if it looks like I've been pushing too hard for the Infinitys but I researched tower speakers off-and-on for months before finally making a purchase and the Infinitys were the clear choice to me even though I was willing to spend twice as much.



First of all, Harman clearly poured their research into the old line of Primus speakers and those things were giant killers even though they were super cheap (and looked super cheap). There's no reason to think they didn't do the same with the Reference line, and the Reference line is more expensive and seems to improve over the Primus line in every possible way.



And second, there's a lot of similarity between the Reference line and Revel speakers. If you compare e.g. the R253 to the Revel F35: the drivers seem to use the same cone/dome material, the tweeters seem to use the same waveguide and acoustic lens and are crossed over and the same frequency, and the cabinets have almost the same dimensions and weight and approximate shape and port configuration. You could make an argument that the R253 is more sophisticated since it's a 3-way instead of a 2.5-way (and it has that flat midrange driver too). So it really seems likely that with the Reference line, you're probably getting 90% of the performance for less than half the price (and taking a hit in the looks department). That's hard to beat IMO.







The speakers (tower vs. center) are already so different visually that I doubt you'd notice the difference. I mean, I'm sure you could notice the difference if you looked for it, but I can't imagine it would bother you.







Having a nice big center is good for home theater because almost all dialogue goes to the center channel. (That being said, the RC263 looks like a monster and you might just not want something that big.)



Almost all music is 2-channel so you'll probably just want to play music out of the tower speakers, and maybe the sub when you get one. Lots of people don't like listening to music with a sub because it's difficult to get subs to integrate perfectly.



Your receiver will have various modes to play music out of all your speakers. Some people like that stuff. I turn it all off since I figure that's not how the music was recorded or intended to be played.


no need to be sorry at all, if you and a few others had not pushed them i never would have researched the **** outta them and definitely would not have gone this way.

i can literally get a 5.0 system for cheaper or same price as the 2.0 kef q-530 (the kef center alone is like 85% the price as the infinity ref 5.0)

i’m very happy to start here because your right, to get exactly what i want in visuals and sound it’s going to cost a lot more.

i have a lot to learn about audio also so it will be good NOT to be the guy at the gun range with a 5k build and not able to hit the target!

they definitely put a lot into this product line.

i made cardboard cutouts to match the size of both centers but i’m glad i ordered both centers anyway just to really see the difference in person.

i know it will probably be a big difference in sound but your right that rc263 is massive and i just don’t know how it will look.

as of now looking at the cutouts i’m thinking the rc253 will work best and already be pushing it..

i know it’s only a 2 channel vs the 3 but i’ll just have to listen for myself to see if it’s a massive difference.
ur right it will only be for movies really even tho that mostly what i will use the system for since i will most likel use 2.0/2.1 for music
rbfastback is offline  
post #66 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
...
they definitely put a lot into this product line.
Indeed. BTW, for some reason Crutchfield seems to have been able to get a bunch of cutaway pictures of these tower speakers:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-U5aEJB...ence-R263.html

Looks pretty top-quality to me. Lots of bracing, stuffing, I'm not an expert but that crossover looks pretty clean and sophisticated (look at how big that inductor is?!), and I love that the tweeter and midrange are in their own separate sealed enclosures. Just seems like an insane amount of speaker to get for the money.

Quote:
i know it will probably be a big difference in sound but your right that rc263 is massive and i just don’t know how it will look.

as of now looking at the cutouts i’m thinking the rc253 will work best and already be pushing it..

i know it’s only a 2 channel vs the 3 but i’ll just have to listen for myself to see if it’s a massive difference.
Definitely post back once you get things set up. It will be interesting to find out if you hear a difference between the centers. One school of thought is that your center is possibly your most important speaker so it should be as big and nice as possible. Then again, the fundamental frequency of human speech only goes down to around 80Hz, and the smaller center channel should cover that pretty easily, so maybe you won't hear any difference at all.
motrek is offline  
post #67 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
for the wiring and connections i was just planning or ordering a 200 ft roll of AmazonBasics 12-Gauge OFC Speaker Wire
(12 gauge and 200ft cuz i’ll need to run the rears 41-43ft and the speakers are 6 Ohms)

i’m assuming 12ga isn’t too much to use for the 2-5’ closer speakers.

and either some banana plugs for the avr and Mediabridge 45° spade plugs for the speakers

is that needed? i was reading that out of the recent wiring thread


anything else i’m forgetting?
rbfastback is offline  
post #68 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Indeed. BTW, for some reason Crutchfield seems to have been able to get a bunch of cutaway pictures of these tower speakers:



https://www.crutchfield.com/S-U5aEJB...ence-R263.html



Looks pretty top-quality to me. Lots of bracing, stuffing, I'm not an expert but that crossover looks pretty clean and sophisticated (look at how big that inductor is?!), and I love that the tweeter and midrange are in their own separate sealed enclosures. Just seems like an insane amount of speaker to get for the money.







Definitely post back once you get things set up. It will be interesting to find out if you hear a difference between the centers. One school of thought is that your center is possibly your most important speaker so it should be as big and nice as possible. Then again, the fundamental frequency of human speech only goes down to around 80Hz, and the smaller center channel should cover that pretty easily, so maybe you won't hear any difference at all.

cutout looks very cool, i don’t really know much about the tec info and terminology yet but i’m on my way..

definitely going to be posting back here and in other threads, i’m always on the lookout for my next money pit of hobbies aside from cars/trucks/weapons/silver/gold/coins/stamps/cigars/MTG cards/video games/etc..etc..

i’m mostly hoping that if there is a difference i’ll hear it cuz i’m so new to all this.
an that makes sense

as long at the receiver already knows to not send any low end signals right? does that mean bass will not come out of the center? or are u just saying while comparing the 2 centers that the voices alone should be similar while the larger rc263 will also aside from vocals produced a lot of extra HT high and low volume
rbfastback is offline  
post #69 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
for the wiring and connections i was just planning or ordering a 200 ft roll of AmazonBasics 12-Gauge OFC Speaker Wire
(12 gauge and 200ft cuz i’ll need to run the rears 41-43ft and the speakers are 6 Ohms)

i’m assuming 12ga isn’t too much to use for the 2-5’ closer speakers.

and either some banana plugs for the avr and Mediabridge 45° spade plugs for the speakers

is that needed? i was reading that out of the recent wiring thread


anything else i’m forgetting?
There's a table halfway down this page:

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-vi...er-cable-gauge

12 AWG sounds right for 40-50 feet and 6 ohms. Don't worry, you can't have a cable that's too thick, electrically speaking.

Attaching your own connectors is kind of a pain, I've done that but it took a while and the result was kind of s**tty, and after a while I decided to just spend a few dollars and get some "pre-made" cables with banana plugs on both ends. I see Amazon is selling their own-brand 6 foot cables for $7 each now, maybe something to consider for your front speakers. Making your own cables seems like kind of your only option for 40+ foot runs though.
motrek is offline  
post #70 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
...
as long at the receiver already knows to not send any low end signals right? does that mean bass will not come out of the center? or are u just saying while comparing the 2 centers that the voices alone should be similar while the larger rc263 will also aside from vocals produced a lot of extra HT high and low volume
The main difference between the big and small centers is that the big one can play deeper bass. The receiver will send the same signals to each, it's just you'll be able to hear more bass from the center speaker if it's being sent TO the center speaker.

That being said, most of what's sent to the center speaker is just human voice, which doesn't really go below 80Hz, so you might not really hear much of a difference between the two speakers. I dunno. It will be interesting to find out.

The other interesting difference between the big and small speakers is that the big one has the separate midrange driver. In theory that could make it sound clearer, since the midrange can just focus on midrange and doesn't also have to play deeper bass tones. But in theory, a separate midrange could also make the speaker less clear, since adding drivers and crossovers makes things more complicated.

The RC263 driver arrangement looks pretty similar to the Ascend Sierra Horizon speaker though, maybe that's not a coincidence, i.e., maybe that's a setup that sounds really good...

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, having that midrange driver in the middle should make the center sound more clear because it will reduce horizontal axis lobing effects. Maybe not super noticeable if you're sitting right in front of the center speaker, but should theoretically improve things off-axis.

Last edited by motrek; 05-28-2019 at 07:12 PM.
motrek is offline  
post #71 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: london ontario
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey, just a thought because i havent seen it mentioned yet.
I recently helped a friend set up his first real 5.1 system. denon receiver and psb alpha speakers. he was concerned about the kids as you are. We gave him a nice panasonic bluray player BUT we gave the kids a cheap dvd player down low that they can access to play their movies. They know they arent allowed to touch daddies.
Surprisingly they can come in, turn on the tv, dial the receiver to dvd and watch their movies no problem. His receiver upconverts the analogue to hdmi so all they have to do is turn on the tv. I pointed my friend towards a harmony remote to make it easier for the kids but so far hasnt been an issue. i dont know if your denon upconverts the analogue to hdmi but the cheap dvd player that the kids were familiar with is saving my friend some sleepless night wondering if the kids will destroy his gear.
ps. looks like you are well on your way to some great sounding fun filled family movie nights. enjoy.

Last edited by pgscubadiver; 05-28-2019 at 07:05 PM.
pgscubadiver is online now  
post #72 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
There's a table halfway down this page:



https://www.audioholics.com/audio-vi...er-cable-gauge



12 AWG sounds right for 40-50 feet and 6 ohms. Don't worry, you can't have a cable that's too thick, electrically speaking.



Attaching your own connectors is kind of a pain, I've done that but it took a while and the result was kind of s**tty, and after a while I decided to just spend a few dollars and get some "pre-made" cables with banana plugs on both ends. I see Amazon is selling their own-brand 6 foot cables for $7 each now, maybe something to consider for your front speakers. Making your own cables seems like kind of your only option for 40+ foot runs though.


thanks again thats exactly what i will do too.

just ordered two 6’ and one 3’ Wire cables with Banana Plugs soldered on


next i’ll order a 100’ roll of the amazon 12-Gauge OFC with a pack of Sewell Deadbolt Banana Plugs if i don’t find a better option before i’m ready to install those

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
The main difference between the big and small centers is that the big one can play deeper bass. The receiver will send the same signals to each, it's just you'll be able to hear more bass from the center speaker if it's being sent TO the center speaker.



That being said, most of what's sent to the center speaker is just human voice, which doesn't really go below 80Hz, so you might not really hear much of a difference between the two speakers. I dunno. It will be interesting to find out.



The other interesting difference between the big and small speakers is that the big one has the separate midrange driver. In theory that could make it sound clearer, since the midrange can just focus on midrange and doesn't also have to play deeper bass tones. But in theory, a separate midrange could also make the speaker less clear, since adding drivers and crossovers makes things more complicated.



The RC263 driver arrangement looks pretty similar to the Ascend Sierra Horizon speaker though, maybe that's not a coincidence, i.e., maybe that's a setup that sounds really good...



EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, having that midrange driver in the middle should make the center sound more clear because it will reduce horizontal axis lobing effects. Maybe not super noticeable if you're sitting right in front of the center speaker, but should theoretically improve things off-axis.


oooo ok, i don’t fully understand all terminology yet but so far what i’m reading about is on par with your edit and it’s beginning to make more sense.


i can’t wait to have both to cross test while giving some serious noob feedback and thoughts!
rbfastback is offline  
post #73 of 221 Old 05-28-2019, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgscubadiver View Post
Hey, just a thought because i havent seen it mentioned yet.

I recently helped a friend set up his first real 5.1 system. denon receiver and psb alpha speakers. he was concerned about the kids as you are. We gave him a nice panasonic bluray player BUT we gave the kids a cheap dvd player down low that they can access to play their movies. They know they arent allowed to touch daddies.

Surprisingly they can come in, turn on the tv, dial the receiver to dvd and watch their movies no problem. His receiver upconverts the analogue to hdmi so all they have to do is turn on the tv. I pointed my friend towards a harmony remote to make it easier for the kids but so far hasnt been an issue. i dont know if your denon upconverts the analogue to hdmi but the cheap dvd player that the kids were familiar with is saving my friend some sleepless night wondering if the kids will destroy his gear.

ps. looks like you are well on your way to some great sounding fun filled family movie nights. enjoy.

thank you that’s a very good idea!
i’ve been trying to think of what else to do also

i do not believe my denon does up converting from what i’m reading but i’m sure i can figure something out with a similar end result. (basically give them their own stuff)

as of now i hardly ever use dvds for the kids stuff since i don’t get their movies on dvd.
i usually use amazon,netflix or hulu so all they have to do is hit the quick link button on the magic remote that says “netflix/amazon/hulu”

right now i have a massive baby gate around the entertainment system but all i have to worry about is the two 1yo boys.

i appreciate the great tips and i’m sure we will all love the new and improved movie nights
rbfastback is offline  
post #74 of 221 Old 05-29-2019, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

DAMN!!!

if i had called support before ordering they would have gave me 20% off that price....

would have saved ANOTHER $150ish off of the $783 i payed
edit: not counting the 160-200 i’ll get back for returning one of the two centers

if anyone reads this and wants some infinity ref speakers then call support and ask for the 20% discount code that people are reading about online in the forums and getting

edit: bad grammar

Last edited by rbfastback; 05-29-2019 at 10:03 AM.
rbfastback is offline  
post #75 of 221 Old 05-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
DAMN!!!

if i had called support before ordering they would have gave me 20% off that price....

would have saved ANOTHER $150ish off of the $783 i payed
edit: not counting the 160-200 i’ll get back for returning one of the two canters

if anyone reads this and wants some infinity ref speakers then call support and ask for the 20% discount code that people your reading about online in the forums are getting
Jesus, they're just giving these away. Man I wish I needed new speakers LOL.
rbfastback likes this.
motrek is offline  
post #76 of 221 Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
for less then $130 shipped would it be with it to get the REFERENCE SUB R10?

i was thinking of getting the sub and the r162’s for an affordable 2.1 that i can use later down the road?

or maybe use the R10 in the living room until i get the larger svs in a month or 2

just didn’t know if quality was on par with the reviews of the rest of the reference line?
rbfastback is offline  
post #77 of 221 Old 05-30-2019, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
for less then $130 shipped would it be with it to get the REFERENCE SUB R10?

i was thinking of getting the sub and the r162’s for an affordable 2.1 that i can use later down the road?

or maybe use the R10 in the living room until i get the larger svs in a month or 2

just didn’t know if quality was on par with the reviews of the rest of the reference line?
I imagine the Infinity subwoofers are competitive for the price (Harmon makes high-quality products) but it doesn't seem like there's anything special about them that would make them much better than the competition. Might as well jump on the deal for the R162s--I would use them for a computer if you don't already have a nice sound system for your computer--but it doesn't seem like you're getting anything "for free" with that subwoofer. Probably can't go wrong buying it though if that's what you want to do.

Personally, in that price range I would be curious about the Yamaha subwoofers that claim to have some kind of servo control. It's hard to find a lot of information about them and their specs aren't very impressive, but I have seen a few people on the forums say they're shockingly good for the size and price--maybe due to the servo stuff? Dunno. One thing to note about them is that they don't have speaker-level inputs or a crossover, so you can only use them with an amp/receiver that has a dedicated subwoofer output. (Basically any receiver but not that many amps.)

EDIT: Huh, now that I glanced at Amazon, I suppose that for the cone size and amplifier power (10", 200W) that is a really good price for a quality brand...

Last edited by motrek; 05-30-2019 at 10:19 AM.
motrek is offline  
post #78 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 5,420
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Has anyone here listened how these sound compared to JBL studio 590s?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bommai is offline  
post #79 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
I imagine the Infinity subwoofers are competitive for the price (Harmon makes high-quality products) but it doesn't seem like there's anything special about them that would make them much better than the competition. Might as well jump on the deal for the R162s--I would use them for a computer if you don't already have a nice sound system for your computer--but it doesn't seem like you're getting anything "for free" with that subwoofer. Probably can't go wrong buying it though if that's what you want to do.



Personally, in that price range I would be curious about the Yamaha subwoofers that claim to have some kind of servo control. It's hard to find a lot of information about them and their specs aren't very impressive, but I have seen a few people on the forums say they're shockingly good for the size and price--maybe due to the servo stuff? Dunno. One thing to note about them is that they don't have speaker-level inputs or a crossover, so you can only use them with an amp/receiver that has a dedicated subwoofer output. (Basically any receiver but not that many amps.)



EDIT: Huh, now that I glanced at Amazon, I suppose that for the cone size and amplifier power (10", 200W) that is a really good price for a quality brand...

all the speakers are out for delivery today along with all the cables and wires!
i’m off today too!

i setup the avr yesterday and i got very very lucky...
it has 1/16th of clearance on each side of the center cubby hole opening.
there’s more space inside (about 1” per side) due to the decorative front trim but that would have been annoying since i would have had to pull off the back panel and slide it in the rear every time i wanted to access the back.


i’m definitely getting the r162’s cuz why not.
and they would match the RC263 center too.
i’m also keeping the other center i don’t use in the living room just because why not.
unless its a crazy difference i’m most likely using the smaller center in the living room.

your right, i did look up all the Yamaha’s plus multiple other even slightly reputable companies and i can’t find a better deal for the rms and sub size, especially for the $170 R12 sub. (300rms)
even if its not great i’m sure i can use it somewhere in a smaller room like an office.

so i’m thinking i’m going to order the R12 not the R10, it’s $40 more but at $170 (plus the 20% off) why not

she is beautiful:
rbfastback is offline  
post #80 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Has anyone here listened how these sound compared to JBL studio 590s?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


i haven’t but it looks very nice!
two 8” cones with a lot of range, but it’s also over double the price usually and 5 times the price now with the sale!
so i’d think it’s in a way different class compared to the R253’s

you never know tho i’m learning that price has nothing to do with class and performance but i’m super new to all this
rbfastback is offline  
post #81 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 07:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Central FL
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Check out RSL packages. Nice speakers and look good.

https://rslspeakers.com/cg3-overview/

Packages at the bottom of the page.
This^ I have this set up and you will not be disappointed!
https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...heater-system/
rbfastback likes this.

Marantz NR1609
RSL CG3 x 2
RSL CG23 center channel
RSL Speedwoofer 10S
joewerda is offline  
post #82 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewerda View Post
This^ I have this set up and you will not be disappointed!

https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...heater-system/


they really are a great price and i have read sooo many good things.

maybe next time or another room
rbfastback is offline  
post #83 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
all the speakers are out for delivery today along with all the cables and wires!
i’m off today too!
Wow, that was fast. I remember when I ordered my R253s, shipping was supposed to take a week but they ended up being delivered ~4 days early. It was pretty great.

Quote:
i setup the avr yesterday and i got very very lucky...
it has 1/16th of clearance on each side of the center cubby hole opening.
there’s more space inside (about 1” per side) due to the decorative front trim but that would have been annoying since i would have had to pull off the back panel and slide it in the rear every time i wanted to access the back.
I'm glad you have at least a little space on the sides there, so some cool air can get in via the sides. I assume (hope?!) the back of the cubby is open... otherwise you wouldn't be able to get the speaker cables out of there... might think about expanding whatever opening is already back there (if it isn't very big) in the name of ventilation. I'm not sure how much of a concern overheating will be for you. I suspect that a nice, expensive, new receiver will have temperature sensors and automatically shut down if it's starting to overheat so you might not need to worry about ruining your receiver. How hot it gets will also depend on how loud you have it playing, so it might not get very hot at all. Not sure. Definitely check by feeling the top though.

Quote:
i’m definitely getting the r162’s cuz why not.
and they would match the RC263 center too.
i’m also keeping the other center i don’t use in the living room just because why not.
unless its a crazy difference i’m most likely using the smaller center in the living room.
Dunno about keeping all that "extra" stuff. Bookshelf speakers are generally useful but you might want to return the center you don't use. It's going to be hard to sell (or even just give away) a single center channel speaker if you eventually decide you don't want it...

Quote:
your right, i did look up all the Yamaha’s plus multiple other even slightly reputable companies and i can’t find a better deal for the rms and sub size, especially for the $170 R12 sub. (300rms)
even if its not great i’m sure i can use it somewhere in a smaller room like an office.

so i’m thinking i’m going to order the R12 not the R10, it’s $40 more but at $170 (plus the 20% off) why not
...
Might as well I suppose, but it's going to be a beast. Make sure you have the space!
motrek is offline  
post #84 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
I'm glad you have at least a little space on the sides there, so some cool air can get in via the sides. I assume (hope?!) the back of the cubby is open... otherwise you wouldn't be able to get the speaker cables out of there... might think about expanding whatever opening is already back there (if it isn't very big) in the name of ventilation. I'm not sure how much of a concern overheating will be for you. I suspect that a nice, expensive, new receiver will have temperature sensors and automatically shut down if it's starting to overheat so you might not need to worry about ruining your receiver. How hot it gets will also depend on how loud you have it playing, so it might not get very hot at all. Not sure. Definitely check by feeling the top though.

i thought about that too, right now it’s a 2x4 opening but i’m thinking of installing this tho, whata ya think?

or the 4x4 fans u install in the back to suck hot air out.



Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Dunno about keeping all that "extra" stuff. Bookshelf speakers are generally useful but you might want to return the center you don't use. It's going to be hard to sell (or even just give away) a single center channel speaker if you eventually decide you don't want it...


yeah your probably right about that, didn’t think of it like that.
i can just get back the 200ish and that’s pays for the bookshelves.



Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Might as well I suppose, but it's going to be a beast. Make sure you have the space!
it actually pretty small for being ported, like 18hx15wx16.75d.
i measured out space for it.
i still plan on getting the svs pc2000 tho that only has a 16” round footprint
rbfastback is offline  
post #85 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
i thought about that too, right now it’s a 2x4 opening but i’m thinking of installing this tho, whata ya think? ...
or the 4x4 fans u install in the back to suck hot air out.
Ideally the opening in the back would be the entire area of the cubby, so that cool air can come in from the bottom and leave through the top, but any sort of opening is better than none.

I really like the idea of that product that sits on the top and actively sucks hot air out of the receiver and exhausts it.

Careful about installing fans otherwise. What you want to avoid is a thermal short-circuit where the fan is just sucking air in and blowing it out without giving it a chance to circulate through the receiver. An air current like that could actually trap air inside the receiver and cause it to heat up even more.

Quote:
it actually pretty small for being ported, like 18hx15wx16.75d.
i measured out space for it.
i still plan on getting the svs pc2000 tho that only has a 16” round footprint
I suspect your new setup will be such an enormous improvement over what you've had before that you will quickly forget about upgrading. We'll see.
motrek is offline  
post #86 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 02:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I think you’ll probably find the R12 works fine for your needs and you won’t have to even drop the cash on the SVS sub.
Heck worst case get a second R12 or a R10 and you’ve still saved yourself money. Either way you go it’s going to be night and day better than it was before.
rbfastback likes this.
gbus is online now  
post #87 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
d-rail34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Longville, LA.
Posts: 854
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
i thought about that too, right now it’s a 2x4 opening but i’m thinking of installing this tho, whata ya think?

or the 4x4 fans u install in the back to suck hot air out.







yeah your probably right about that, didn’t think of it like that.
i can just get back the 200ish and that’s pays for the bookshelves.





it actually pretty small for being ported, like 18hx15wx16.75d.
i measured out space for it.
i still plan on getting the svs pc2000 tho that only has a 16” round footprint
Welcome to the club!

I started my AV journey about a year and a half ago, and this forum helped out A TON! So, you're definitely in good hands, and there has been some excellent advice given to you thus far.


The Denon does run a little warm, so those exhaust units are a fantastic idea with having as little space as you do in your stand. Another thing that will help is Denon's ECO feature. Set that to "Auto" though. Supposedly, setting it to "On" has had a noticable affect on the audio to some users.

Also, the SVS PC-2000 will be the best choice out of what has been discussed already. You'll get way better output, and it'll dig much lower than the others, which will give you a much better experience with your movie watching.

In regards to placement of the sub, the right corner will probably yield the best results with it being on an ajoining wall vs. on the left, which puts it out in the open. This is what was suggested to me whenever I was setting my rig up (I have a 5' wide opening to the kitchen on the left wall), and it has worked out nicely. Especially considering my lack of placement options.


I hope this helps, and enjoy your new setup! Looking forward to your feedback on how it works out for you.

Darrell


[EDIT] I forgot to mention that Amazon sells the AC Infinity exhaust fans. They have a few different models to choose from with different exhaust placements (Top, Front, Rear). With your AVR placement, the front firing exhaust would be a good choice.
rbfastback likes this.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S

Last edited by d-rail34; 05-31-2019 at 02:55 PM.
d-rail34 is online now  
post #88 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
BTW, I know you already decided on this, but you don't actually have to send any video through the receiver to the TV. If your TV has enough HDMI inputs, you can just use the TV to switch between inputs, and just connect the receiver to the TV (via the HDMI ARC connection) to handle the audio. That way you don't have to worry one iota about what kind of video stuff the receiver supports.

question about this post...
i’m hooking everything up right now and would much rather prefer to keep my xbox and ps4 plugged into the tv not the avr.

will the audio from the other hdmi ports (consoles) send sound to the arc hdmi and play the sound through the system?

i just didn’t know if the tv input had to be on the avr hdmi to play sound.

i just don’t want to have to only use the 1 hdmi input for everything and switch what plays volume through the avr.

i think if the avr is in the arc port then all the tv’s smart apps will play through it but i just don’t know how all this works.

EDIT: any use for the optical cable from tv to avr?
someone told me to use that but i thought that was some old school stuff and not as high quality of a signal.
they said arc is unreliable and can often be glitchy and not work right but optical is always solid?

he also said arc can cause a lag in the sound so the audio and video will be out of sync?

Last edited by rbfastback; 05-31-2019 at 07:32 PM.
rbfastback is offline  
post #89 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rbfastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
Welcome to the club!



I started my AV journey about a year and a half ago, and this forum helped out A TON! So, you're definitely in good hands, and there has been some excellent advice given to you thus far.





The Denon does run a little warm, so those exhaust units are a fantastic idea with having as little space as you do in your stand. Another thing that will help is Denon's ECO feature. Set that to "Auto" though. Supposedly, setting it to "On" has had a noticable affect on the audio to some users.



Also, the SVS PC-2000 will be the best choice out of what has been discussed already. You'll get way better output, and it'll dig much lower than the others, which will give you a much better experience with your movie watching.



In regards to placement of the sub, the right corner will probably yield the best results with it being on an ajoining wall vs. on the left, which puts it out in the open. This is what was suggested to me whenever I was setting my rig up (I have a 5' wide opening to the kitchen on the left wall), and it has worked out nicely. Especially considering my lack of placement options.





I hope this helps, and enjoy your new setup! Looking forward to your feedback on how it works out for you.



Darrell





[EDIT] I forgot to mention that Amazon sells the AC Infinity exhaust fans. They have a few different models to choose from with different exhaust placements (Top, Front, Rear). With your AVR placement, the front firing exhaust would be a good choice.

thank you!!
i’m definitely glad to be here.

yeah i was just reading about the eco mode too, then i remember seeing that fan on amazon.

btw thanks for mentioning that they have a front exhaust fan!!
i thought they had rear and top.
almost got the wrong one since front is perfect in my situation.

will just have to see about the sub, for now i think everyone is right that coming from nothing i’ll be very happy but in the end (could be a month or could be a few years) i know that ill definitely get the pc-2000.

and by then it will absolutely go in the right corner where everyone is saying to put it.
for not the r12 will have to go on the left side unfortunately that opens up to the whole house.
d-rail34 likes this.
rbfastback is offline  
post #90 of 221 Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
motrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
question about this post...
i’m hooking everything up right now and would much rather prefer to keep my xbox and ps4 plugged into the tv not the avr.

will the audio from the other hdmi ports (consoles) send sound to the arc hdmi and play the sound through the system?

i just didn’t know if the tv input had to be on the avr hdmi to play sound.

i just don’t want to have to only use the 1 hdmi input for everything and switch what plays volume through the avr.

i think if the avr is in the arc port then all the tv’s smart apps will play through it but i just don’t know how all this works.

EDIT: any use for the optical cable from tv to avr?
someone told me to use that but i thought that was some old school stuff and not as high quality of a signal.
they said arc is unreliable and can often be glitchy and not work right but optical is always solid?

he also said arc can cause a lag in the sound so the audio and video will be out of sync?
I haven't used ARC personally so I'm afraid I can't answer with any authority, but I suspect that if you connect the ARC port on your TV to the ARC port on your receiver, then whatever sound would have originally come out of your TV would instead come out of your new setup. (Maybe you have to enable a setting on your TV but I assume this is supposed to be how it works in theory.)

I've only ever used optical out, which is good enough for 2 channels. Optical is an old standard which I believe doesn't have enough bandwidth for 5.1 at 16 bit/44 kHz (???) so if you use optical, you may not get the absolute best possible sound. Frankly I doubt most human beings would notice a difference though so if you want to use that and it works to your satisfaction, then I say go for it. But I feel like the HDMI ARC connection is supposed to be just as easy and possibly work a little better.

I don't think there's anything about ARC that would cause extra lag vs. optical. They're basically just two ways of connecting things to each other. It's possible that you might see some lag from the AVR's processing of the audio (with either type of connection) but if you notice any lag, there are settings you can futz with to correct for it.
rbfastback likes this.
motrek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off