HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #91 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions

wow these speakers are a lot nicer then i expected!!
i think the low price threw me off.
they are beautifuland very clean looking.

got it all set up but is too late to go through the tuning program or test them out and i work all day sat and sun too. (or to dark for pictures)
looks like i gotta wait till monday.

may have to send one tower back, they said they would overnight the return speaker tho.

looks like they didn’t use enough glue on the extension parts of the ports in the back.

i was able to get my fingers in there and pull them back into place but i think and amount of vibratiion would eventually knock them loose again.
i’m sure i could figure out a way to glue it or whatever but with free overnight exchanging why not just doo it, i’ve got to return the extra center i i don’t want anyway.

i’m not done posting on this by far but i just want to tank everyone again for all the help, tips and great advice!!!

i absolutely guarantee that i’ll be getting more speakers soon, possibly something off my short list in this thread or a little higher ip in price since i don’t want equal class next time but i’d say a step up when i’m ready. (man cave room in garage setup)

top port:

bottom port:

way it should look:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3212 Post(s)
Liked: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfastback View Post
question about this post...
i’m hooking everything up right now and would much rather prefer to keep my xbox and ps4 plugged into the tv not the avr.

will the audio from the other hdmi ports (consoles) send sound to the arc hdmi and play the sound through the system?

i just didn’t know if the tv input had to be on the avr hdmi to play sound.

i just don’t want to have to only use the 1 hdmi input for everything and switch what plays volume through the avr.

i think if the avr is in the arc port then all the tv’s smart apps will play through it but i just don’t know how all this works.

EDIT: any use for the optical cable from tv to avr?
someone told me to use that but i thought that was some old school stuff and not as high quality of a signal.
they said arc is unreliable and can often be glitchy and not work right but optical is always solid?

he also said arc can cause a lag in the sound so the audio and video will be out of sync?
It's been a few years since I've used anything other than HDMI for all my devices. If you keep your consoles connected to the TV instead of the AVR, you'll need RCA cables going from the AVR to the respective consoles. By doing it this way you'll have to switch inputs on both the TV & AVR. Connecting everthing through HDMI will be much easier and you can just use the AVR remote to switch between sources. You'll also have less wire clutter behind the AVR.
sigpig and d-rail34 like this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #93 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
It's been a few years since I've used anything other than HDMI for all my devices. If you keep your consoles connected to the TV instead of the AVR, you'll need RCA cables going from the AVR to the respective consoles. ...
This can't be true. What's the point of HDMI ARC ("Audio Return Channel") if not to prevent you from having to do this?

EDIT: Also, it's certainly not true if you connect the optical output of the TV to the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
wow these speakers are a lot nicer then i expected!!
i think the low price threw me off.
they are beautifuland very clean looking.

got it all set up but is too late to go through the tuning program or test them out and i work all day sat and sun too. (or to dark for pictures)
looks like i gotta wait till monday.
Tell us you at least played some music with some of the speakers?

Quote:
may have to send one tower back, they said they would overnight the return speaker tho.

looks like they didn’t use enough glue on the extension parts of the ports in the back.

i was able to get my fingers in there and pull them back into place but i think and amount of vibratiion would eventually knock them loose again.
i’m sure i could figure out a way to glue it or whatever but with free overnight exchanging why not just doo it, i’ve got to return the extra center i i don’t want anyway.
That sucks about the ports. Glad they are taking care of you.
post #95 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
This can't be true. What's the point of HDMI ARC ("Audio Return Channel") if not to prevent you from having to do this?

EDIT: Also, it's certainly not true if you connect the optical output of the TV to the receiver.
A Toslink (optical) cable cannot pass multi-channel audio information.
The best way to connect everything is by HDMI from the source to the AVR, then HDMI from the AVR to the TV.
The AVR is designed to switch between multiple sources effectively. Use it for what its made for...
d-rail34 likes this.
post #96 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
A Toslink (optical) cable cannot pass multi-channel audio information.
The best way to connect everything is by HDMI from the source to the AVR, then HDMI from the AVR to the TV.
The AVR is designed to switch between multiple sources effectively. Use it for what its made for...
A Toslink cable can absolutely pass through multi-channel audio information:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inpu...io-passthrough

Although good point, not all TVs pass through all surround formats via Toslink so it's probably best to use ARC.

I don't see the point of telling people where to plug their devices. Personally I prefer to plug all my HDMI sources into my TV, and the TV into my receiver for audio, because the ports on my TV are much more accessible. Nothing wrong with this.
post #97 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If he keeps the HDMI going from the TV to the console he would need to use the optical for audio but won't get multi channel as @sigpig pointed out. Since the TV, AVR and consoles all support HDMI, why not use it? He'll get better graphics and digital audio. It's just as simple to switch between sources with the AVR remote.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #98 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If he keeps the HDMI going from the TV to the console he would need to use the optical for audio but won't get multi channel as @sigpig pointed out. Since the TV, AVR and consoles all support HDMI, why not use it? He'll get better graphics and digital audio. It's just as simple to switch between sources with the AVR remote.
You can definitely get multi-channel audio passed through from a TV to a receiver via optical/Toslink. Did you read the link I just posted in my previous post? Almost all modern TVs do this.

And you don't need to use optical anyway, you should be able to use the HDMI ARC port. ARC stands for "Audio Return Channel." This is exactly what ARC was designed to do, i.e., effectively transfer the sound that a TV would play to an external sound source (like a receiver) in a high-resolution, modern way.

This is how nice sound bars (including 3- and 5-channel sound bars) are connected to TVs, via HDMI ARC. So of course you'll be able to connect a receiver to your TV the same way.

If you're not aware that multi-channel audio can be passed through Toslink and you're not aware of HDMI ARC it seems like maybe you're working off of information that's ~10 years old.

I don't understand your comment that you'll get "better graphics" if you use a receiver to switch between HDMI video sources. The receiver will just pass through whatever video signal is sent to it, so the video will be identical. And actually, a TV will be able to best process whatever video signals it's capable of processing, which is not always the case with a receiver. If you buy a new TV that supports all the HDMI 2.0 features, and your receiver only supports HDMI 1.4, then obviously it'll be much better to plug your video sources into your TV and not your receiver.

In the end, who really cares. Yes, receivers are designed to switch between different HDMI inputs. So are TVs. So that's not really an argument one way or the other. Using your TV to switch between inputs is a completely valid thing to do.
rbfastback likes this.
post #99 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Tell us you at least played some music with some of the speakers? .

i’m about to now, it was 1am when i set it up and everyone was but the audyssey setup was already too loud.
this system MOSTLY for daytime and early night, unfortunately can’t be used after 10ish...
i use headphones at that point..
unless everyone is on vacation and i have he house to myself and friends!

Quote:
That sucks about the ports. Glad they are taking care of you.

definitely!!
great customer service!!

also to answer everyone’s debate:

i did what MOTREK said (and the denon user manual also) and it works flawlessly.

everything plugged into the tv and the avr plugged into the HDMI ARC.

now i just need to figure out why netflix played regular mickey mouse in 3.0
but amazon played passengers (4k uhd) in 2.0???

i’m guessing not all 4k streamable content is 5.1 audio?

still testing other stuff and my heos is updating now

Last edited by rbfastback; 06-01-2019 at 09:47 PM.
post #100 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
i’m about to now, it was 1am when i set it up and everyone was bh the the audyssey setup was already too loud.
this system MOSTLY and unfortunately can’t be used after 10ish...
i use headphones at that point..
unless everyone is on vacation and i have he house to myself and friends!
Eh, it's not 100% that Audyssey will give you better results than simply running direct signals to the speakers (i.e., "direct" mode or "bypass" mode or whatever Denon chose to call it). Probably... maybe not... anyway, something to play with. But feel free to listen to the speakers without having your setup fully installed and configured with Audyssey.

Quote:

Depends on how the movie was mastered, what the streaming service has the rights to, what the streaming app is able to output, and what the TV is able to output to the receiver. A lot has to be going right for you to get 5.1 sound. If Netflix can play multichannel but the Amazon app can only play stereo then that might be a flaw with the Amazon app. Since you have a PS4 and an XBox, you might try connecting those directly to the receiver and running the appropriate apps on the game console to see if you get any better results? Seems like Passengers is new enough (and had a big-enough budget) to be mastered and streamed in 5.1.

(BTW, Passengers is one of my favorite movies and I've probably seen it 4 times. Great choice! )
rbfastback likes this.
post #101 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!!!!

you have no idea how amazing the sound is to me compared to before with the tv speakers!

i’m loosing my sh*t over this...
already woke the kids an wife up blasting crosses-bitches brew.

i’m in love, just a lot of learning with the setting...
motrek likes this.
post #102 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
WOW!!!!

you have no idea how amazing the sound is to me compared to before with the tv speakers!

i’m loosing my sh*t over this...
already woke the kids an wife up blasting crosses-bitches brew.

i’m in love, just a lot of learning with the setting...
Nice, I'm listening to this on my computer now (via my Ascends). Cool song. Out of curiosity, what's your setup now? I assume you haven't received the new tower. Are you running the big center + bookshelves for left/right?

A legit hifi system is so much better than a TV, portable Bluetooth speakers, etc. that it's kind of ridiculous. It's a shame that so many people don't know what they're missing!
post #103 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Eh, it's not 100% that Audyssey will give you better results than simply running direct signals to the speakers (i.e., "direct" mode or "bypass" mode or whatever Denon chose to call it). Probably... maybe not... anyway, something to play with. But feel free to listen to the speakers without having your setup fully installed and configured with Audyssey.
ill test this out tm for sure!!
i was actually wondering about that too

Quote:
Depends on how the movie was mastered, what the streaming service has the rights to, what the streaming app is able to output, and what the TV is able to output to the receiver. A lot has to be going right for you to get 5.1 sound. If Netflix can play multichannel but the Amazon app can only play stereo then that might be a flaw with the Amazon app. Since you have a PS4 and an XBox, you might try connecting those directly to the receiver and running the appropriate apps on the game console to see if you get any better results? Seems like Passengers is new enough (and had a big-enough budget) to be mastered and streamed in 5.1.

(BTW, Passengers is one of my favorite movies and I've probably seen it 4 times. Great choice! )

so i figured out the 3.0 works (the center) if i switch the settings on the avr from dolby digital + +dolby surround (only 2.0) to only dolby digital + (then the center channel kicks on and the L and R tower play most sounds, background and other stuff with no voice and all the voice comes from the center).

still learning so i know i sound retarded in my terminology..

also yes!
passengers is amazing, i’m completely obsessed with si-fi like this.

passengers is an amazing movie if you think of the depth of it.
kinda reminds me a little of the kids movie WALL-E too
motrek likes this.
post #104 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
so i figured out the 3.0 works (the center) if i switch the settings on the avr from dolby digital + +dolby surround (only 2.0) to only dolby digital + (then the center channel kicks on and the L and R tower play most sounds, background and other stuff with no voice and all the voice comes from the center).
Receivers have a bunch of modes where they take stereo (2.0) signals and try to spread them out over your various speakers in clever ways ("hey this mode sounds like an opera hall in Austria!" etc.). You have to be careful about this because it's all pretty much bulls**t. What you want is for the pure signals to go directly to the speakers, the way the sound engineers intended. So beware of that when you're playing with all the various settings and avoid anything that sounds like it's doing sound processing or whatever.

That being said, if you found a mode that says "3.0" and it's playing voices out of the center and not the left/right channels, then it sounds like you've got multi-channel working correctly.
post #105 of 218 Old 06-01-2019, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice, I'm listening to this on my computer now (via my Ascends). Cool song. Out of curiosity, what's your setup now? I assume you haven't received the new tower. Are you running the big center + bookshelves for left/right?
the video for that is sick too!
Chino Moreno is one of my favorite vocalist in deftones, crosses and team sleep

right now my LCR is=R253tower/RC252/R253tower since i haven’t shipped it back yet.
(honestly the port problem has no bad affect at all id just rather it be perfect since it’s under warranty)
and i’m most likely sending back the RC263too, it’s WAY to big...

the r12 sub comes Monday and i decided not to get the R153’s since it’s only a little more for the ascends and i still really want those bad.

[QUOTE=motrek;58129394A legit hifi system is so much better than a TV, portable Bluetooth speakers, etc. that it's kind of ridiculous. It's a shame that so many people don't know what they're missing![/QUOTE]

i now understand this and see myself dropping a lot more time and research (this means $$$ too) into this hobbby!

it’s like i’ve never heard my favorite songs before.

now my Alice and Wonderland down the rabbit hole style get togethers will have a lot more depth if you know what i mean

a few songs (absolutely along with the CORRESPONDING VIDEOS!) i love that are blowing my mind more now are:
-kavinsky, nightcall
-bassnector, reaching out
-bassnector, under water
-beach house, space song
-deftones, sextape
-jonathan bree, your so cool
-andy shauf, magician

and sooo many more, it’s like a new world and i have to listen to EVERYTHING all over again to hear more detail!

Last edited by rbfastback; 06-01-2019 at 10:43 PM.
post #106 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
the video for that is sick too!
Chino Moreno is one of my favorite vocalist in deftones, crosses and team sleep

right now my LCR is=R253tower/RC252/R253tower since i haven’t shipped it back yet.
(honestly the port problem has no bad affect at all id just rather it be perfect since it’s under warranty)
and i’m most likely sending back the RC263too, it’s WAY to big...
Oh yeah, forgot that you were able to fix the ports on the towers.

Quote:
the r12 sub comes Monday and i decided not to get the R153’s since it’s only a little more for the ascends and i still really want those bad.
For the rear speakers? So little content gets played out of the rear channels that I don't think you'd notice a difference between the Infinitys and the Ascends. Seems like almost a shame to have the Ascends in the rear. Maybe buy the Ascends for an office or bedroom setup?

Quote:
and sooo many more, it’s like a new world and i have to listen to EVERYTHING all over again to hear more detail!
+1
post #107 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

still testing other stuff and my heos is updating now
If you're running netflix through XBOX/PS4, you'll need to change your sound settings and let the AVR do the decoding/upmixing.

post #108 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For the rear speakers? So little content gets played out of the rear channels that I don't think you'd notice a difference between the Infinitys and the Ascends. Seems like almost a shame to have the Ascends in the rear. Maybe buy the Ascends for an office or bedroom setup?

sorry no, i mean i didn’t order the r163’s for another 3.1 setup down the road, like for a computer or my garage room.
id rather have the ascends for some variety an amazing following

not sure if i posted it but i already have the RS152 for the surrounds and got them already

really into everything i’ve been reading about Bipole Speakers as surrounds
motrek likes this.
post #109 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you're running netflix through XBOX/PS4, you'll need to change your sound settings and let the AVR do the decoding/upmixing.

it was through the lg tv app

edit previous post above:
actually the Mickey mouse was also on amazon(not netflix) just like all my other movies and so far that’s the only one that plays 3.0 without me changing the avr settings. that’s even stranger since i would think with the same avr setting the 4k movies would all play center too.

so dolby digital plus plays it all 3.0 but dolby digital plus with dolby surround plays most everything in 2.0 except Micky mouse.

DENON DEFINITIONS:

Dolby Digital Plus-
This mode can be selected when playing sources recorded in Dolby Digital Plus.

Dolby Surround-
This mode uses Dolby Surround Upmixer to extend various sources to natural and realistic multi channels for playback. Use ceiling speakers such as top middle speakers to realize a three-dimensional sound field.

i would think the dolby surround would also play 3.0
post #110 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
it was through the lg tv app

edit previous post above:
actually the Mickey mouse was also on amazon(not netflix) just like all my other movies and so far that’s the only one that plays 3.0 without me changing the avr settings. that’s even stranger since i would think with the same avr setting the 4k movies would all play center too.

so dolby digital plus plays it all 3.0 but dolby digital plus with dolby surround plays most everything in 2.0 except Micky mouse.

DENON DEFINITIONS:

Dolby Digital Plus-
This mode can be selected when playing sources recorded in Dolby Digital Plus.

Dolby Surround-
This mode uses Dolby Surround Upmixer to extend various sources to natural and realistic multi channels for playback. Use ceiling speakers such as top middle speakers to realize a three-dimensional sound field.

i would think the dolby surround would also play 3.0
I would avoid anything that says upmixing. Is there a mode called "bypass" or "direct" or something that doesn't do any processing, so you can better see what signals are coming from the TV?

Maybe your TV's apps don't output in surround. :/

I would do some testing with a device that you know is outputting 5.1 to make sure everything is working. Try plugging your XBox directly into the receiver and configuring it to play multichannel and get that working. You'll have to use content that you KNOW is multichannel, like a game or something. Then try plugging it into the TV and figure out how to get it working that way. Then, if your TV apps are still outputting stereo, then you know it's a "problem" with the apps. You might end up having to use your XBox to watch Netflix etc.

EDIT: Might be easier to play a DVD or Blu-Ray with your XBox to make sure it's outputting 5.1 correctly. You may or may not have to select 5.1 from a DVD's menus.

EDIT2: Again, do what you can to avoid modes on the receiver that upmix 2.0 into surround, that'll make it look like you're getting surround when it's really fake surround and you're actually getting stereo.

Last edited by motrek; 06-02-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #111 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would avoid anything that says upmixing. Is there a mode called "bypass" or "direct" or something that doesn't do any processing, so you can better see what signals are coming from the TV?

Maybe your TV's apps don't output in surround. :/

I would do some testing with a device that you know is outputting 5.1 to make sure everything is working. Try plugging your XBox directly into the receiver and configuring it to play multichannel and get that working. You'll have to use content that you KNOW is multichannel, like a game or something. Then try plugging it into the TV and figure out how to get it working that way. Then, if your TV apps are still outputting stereo, then you know it's a "problem" with the apps. You might end up having to use your XBox to watch Netflix etc.

EDIT: Might be easier to play a DVD or Blu-Ray with your XBox to make sure it's outputting 5.1 correctly. You may or may not have to select 5.1 from a DVD's menus.

EDIT2: Again, do what you can to avoid modes on the receiver that upmix 2.0 into surround, that'll make it look like you're getting surround when it's really fake surround and you're actually getting stereo.

perfect,
that’s exactly what i’ll do thanks for the advice!

ill post back with what i find

Last edited by rbfastback; 06-02-2019 at 11:01 AM.
post #112 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 742
@rbfastback ,

Here are some links to threads that will help you with tweaks to get things dialed in. It's alot of reading, but the information documented will help you out tremendously. Make sure to read through the info given on these prior to asking questions.

The 1st link is for the Official 2017 Denon AVR Thread. This will give you specifics on your X3400H, and you should be able to get plenty of feedback from people who actually own your AVR as well.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html

The 2nd link is the Offical Audyssey Thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html

Lastly, this is the Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences. This guide also has helpful tips on running your Audyssey calibration.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...eferences.html

@jdsmoothie , @kbarnes701 , and @mthomas47 have shared a ton of knowledge and put a lot of time & effort into these guides to help folks like us get the most out of our systems, so this is where you will get the best info to get to where you want to be.

Darrell
sigpig and rbfastback like this.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #113 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
@rbfastback ,

Here are some links to threads that will help you with tweaks to get things dialed in. It's alot of reading, but the information documented will help you out tremendously. Make sure to read through the info given on these prior to asking questions.

The 1st link is for the Official 2017 Denon AVR Thread. This will give you specifics on your X3400H, and you should be able to get plenty of feedback from people who actually own your AVR as well.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html

The 2nd link is the Offical Audyssey Thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html

Lastly, this is the Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences. This guide also has helpful tips on running your Audyssey calibration.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...eferences.html

@jdsmoothie , @kbarnes701 , and @mthomas47 have shared a ton of knowledge and put a lot of time & effort into these guides to help folks like us get the most out of our systems, so this is where you will get the best info to get to where you want to be.

Darrell

wow thank you, i can’t wait to dig into those!

gonna be a late night reading.

btw i have to say that out off all the forums im on (roughly 15-20) this is the most helpful one that ppl really take time to type out great info.
along with tacoma world sometimes too

i very rarely post questions tho since i prefer to find it already answered and not get the reply “search bar is your friend”
d-rail34 likes this.
post #114 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
wow thank you, i can’t wait to dig into those!

gonna be a late night reading.

btw i have to say that out off all the forums im on (roughly 15-20) this is the most helpful one that ppl really take time to type out great info.
along with tacoma world sometimes too

i very rarely post questions tho since i prefer to find it already answered and not get the reply “search bar is your friend”
It's definitely a lot of reading material, but very valuable nevertheless.

I too, chose this site to stick with, as I spent about a year and a half researching prior to pulling the trigger on my gear. I just seemed to get the most help from the users here, so it made no sense to bounce around the other forums. And like you, I try to read as much as possible to gain knowledge, but at some point you wind up asking questions. Plus, if you're anything like myself, you'll be tweaking things until there's nothing left to tweak...then you just wind up with the dreaded "UPGRADITIS". This forum has that effect, so beware!
rbfastback likes this.

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #115 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
Plus, if you're anything like myself, you'll be tweaking things until there's nothing left to tweak...then you just wind up with the dreaded "UPGRADITIS". This forum has that effect, so beware!

haha that’s absolutely true, my wife knows this better then any..
if it’s an interesting hobby i’ll eventually dive into the money pit with it.
d-rail34 likes this.
post #116 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
Has anyone heard both the Reference and the Primus?

I had the Primus for years. I thought they were great until I started hearing other speakers. They were easily beaten by EMP Tek, now RBH Impressions series.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #117 of 218 Old 06-02-2019, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Has anyone heard both the Reference and the Primus?

I had the Primus for years. I thought they were great until I started hearing other speakers. They were easily beaten by EMP Tek, now RBH Impressions series.
http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot...itys-high.html

EDIT: I should probably add a quick synopsis of that link. Basically, the Reference line is significantly better than the Primus line. Rear ported instead of front, completely different tweeter waveguide and acoustic lens, possibly different cone/dome materials (CMMD instead of MMD), cabinet is an approximation of curved instead of a box, port is tuned at ~55Hz instead of ~75Hz. Lower crossover frequency for the tweeter. Lots of differences that should, in theory, be good. So far there hasn't been a single negative professional review of the Reference line. (That being said, the Primus line was also a favorite, or at least the P363 towers...)

Last edited by motrek; 06-03-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #118 of 218 Old 06-03-2019, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
haha that’s absolutely true, my wife knows this better then any..
if it’s an interesting hobby i’ll eventually dive into the money pit with it.
I've noticed that one of the biggest trends around here (myself included ) is in the bass department. That's where the real addiction is. Lol

Last edited by d-rail34; 06-03-2019 at 06:04 AM.
post #119 of 218 Old 06-03-2019, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

here the setup and modified baby gate.

the gate easily comes down so its not blocking the speakers for movies and music.

the sub gets delivered wednesday and all i have to do is move the tv up 1-1.5” on the bracket to clear the center channel so the tv doesn’t have to be pushed against the wall

for now the sub will go in the empty spot to the left.

unfortunately i have to send back the right tower with the broken ports tomorrow and they said it can take up to 2 weeks to get the new tower....that sucks but at least is all free.
at least i can use that time to send back the 6’ cables that are barely long enough and somewhat tight for some 10’ cables.
motrek likes this.
post #120 of 218 Old 06-03-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
I hope you can at least pull them out slightly past the edges of those bookshelves - your dispersion pattern is being blocked and you'll lose the stereo effect.
motrek likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page