HT System advice for $1500 budget with questions - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #211 of 218 Old 07-21-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
I posted this in a different thread but I'll paraphrase... I'm not really sure what the deal is with these JBL home audio speakers.

Revel is Harman's top brand for home audio. So you have to assume that whatever Revel does, Harman thinks it's the best for home audio.

Infinity speakers look more or less like Revels, lots of similar characteristics, they just don't look as nice and they cost less.

JBL speakers look very little like Revel or Infinity speakers... so why would you get them? Are they supposed to be similar or better than Revels in some regard? If so, why does Harman even make Revels? Or rather, why don't Revel speakers look like JBL speakers? It's confusing...
The sound is different. Look at the speakers and note the main difference - JBLs use horn-style waveguides and Revels don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 218 Old 07-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
The sound is different. Look at the speakers and note the main difference - JBLs use horn-style waveguides and Revels don't.
Well, sure, but different better or different worse? Harman's whole thing is that people basically agree on what sound they prefer, so if two speakers sound different then one must be better and one must be worse. So why make both? Or maybe they've worked out two different ways to make speakers that sound the same...
post #213 of 218 Old 07-21-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't really know. Haven't heard either of them. But my guess is Revel goes for wider dispersion and more room reflections for spaciousness, whereas JBL goes for somewhat higher efficiency from the horn loading.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 218 Old 07-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't really know. Haven't heard either of them. But my guess is Revel goes for wider dispersion and more room reflections for spaciousness, whereas JBL goes for somewhat higher efficiency from the horn loading.
Maybe. Instinctively I would also expect a horn to make a speaker more directive, but looking at the spins of the Ultima2 Salon2 vs. the JBL M2 there seems to be some difference in directivity but not very much.

The Salon2 is +5 at 1 kHz, the M2 is +7.5.
At 2 kHz, the Salon2 is +8, the M2 is +7.
At 10 kHz, the Salon2 is +8, the M2 is also +8.

I guess it's possible that JBL and Revel just came up with two different ways to make speakers that sound the same.
post #215 of 218 Old 07-21-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Salon2 and M2 were put head-to-head in a GTG and people preferred the Salon2 at a 2-to-1 ratio, so there are clearly differences. From what I remember, the Salon2 sounded bigger.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #216 of 218 Old 07-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Salon2 and M2 were put head-to-head in a GTG and people preferred the Salon2 at a 2-to-1 ratio, so there are clearly differences. From what I remember, the Salon2 sounded bigger.
Cool, I remember starting to read that thread a long time ago but it was so long that it was basically impossible to find the actual results of the comparison. If the Salon was preferred then that seems like even more or a reason to prefer Infinitys vs. JBLs.
post #217 of 218 Old 07-22-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Cool, I remember starting to read that thread a long time ago but it was so long that it was basically impossible to find the actual results of the comparison. If the Salon was preferred then that seems like even more or a reason to prefer Infinitys vs. JBLs.
Yeah. It makes sense now that I understand a little more about measurements and the finding that a low Directivity Index (wide dispersion) correlates with sound preferences for a majority of people.
post #218 of 218 Old 07-23-2019, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I think there's a much larger correlation to the smoothness of the DI. Large steps, bumps, dips, etc, (or the lack thereof) are going to be more of a determining factor than how high or low the curve is.

I wouldn't jump to broad conclusions over that test. Those were two of the very highest testing speakers around--the test was somewhat splitting hairs. Like a test between a high end Ferrari and a high end Porsche. If the Porsche wins a particular test, it may be unwise to jump to the conclusion that "rear engine is better" and go shopping for a VW Bug for the performance advantages of that design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page