Rear channel speakers: wireless? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By holl_ands

post #1 of 3 Old 05-23-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rear channel speakers: wireless?

I'm trying to keep a really nice, clean setup, but maybe I'll give up.
The right, rear surround speaker will be sitting in the middle of a large, open area, and I was thinking of using wireless speakers for the rear, but then again, you still need to run a power cable over to wireless speakers.
In view of this, do wireless speakers really make sense? Or should I just use wired speakers? I want to try to spend less than $500 for the two rear surround speakers.
Any recommendations for floor standing rear surround speakers? It's a two-story house and running wires to ceiling mounted speakers would be more work than I'm willing to put in. My front speakers might be Klipsch RF7s, or I might replace those as they're well over 15 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-24-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 489
I summarized various WIRELESS Speaker options in fol. post (which I update from time to time):
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-h...l#post55188564

Since you didn't say you wanted to buy a NEW AVR, I'll assume that you are happy with the AVR you have...and it does NOT currently support Wireless Back Speakers. If you look at the "WIRELESS AUDIO EXTENDER" section, you will see some inexpensive WL Transmitters that connect to REAR (and/or SURROUND) Speaker Connections on back of AVR [or, if available, even better LS/RS Preamp OUT RCA Jacks] and either have a Receiver that Outputs LS/RS Line Level to Powered Speakers....or an External AMP (you may already have an old AMP/AVR you can Re-Purpose)....or (for additional cost) some even have an Amplifier built into the Receiver(s). You can assess whether you can use a common LS/RS AMP/AVR with Speaker Wires to separate Surround Speakers....or if you want separate Wireless Receiver Components, each feeding it's own Surround Speaker.

Wireless Rear Speakers are useful if you find it difficult to run actual Speaker Wires to their Locations....and of course, you'll need to plug the Powered Speakers (or repurposed AMP/AVR) into 120 VAC Wall Socket (give or take an Extension Cord).

If you let us know the Mfr and Model Number of your AVR and whether it is convenient to run Speaker Wires from a Common [perhaps Re-Purposed] Rear AMP/AVR???]....of if you want Separate LS and RS Components, then we can help you narrow down your options....
paulj1x likes this.

Last edited by holl_ands; 05-24-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-24-2019, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks @holl_ands ! Very thorough. For me running power is the same complexity as running speaker wires, so for my situation I don't see wireless as an advantage, so I'm probably going to get a pair of Klipsch RP-402S and set them on Pangea Audio LS300 Speaker Stands.
I am getting a new Denon AVR-X4500H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page