• 1 Post By Espo77
  • 2 Post By MTVhike

post #1 of 18 Old 05-25-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Speaker System Buzzing Issue

So a few months ago I built a pair of duel 12" subs and those are combined with my 8" JBL studio monitors. Im not sure weather I did this before or after I built the subs but I also have 4 rgb LED light bulbs installed in the ceiling with a remote. Ever since I've had this setup there is an annoying and loud buzz coming from both the subs and monitors (much louder from the subs, the studio monitors aren't much of a problem)
This is my full set up currently:

-PC goes into mixer
-mixer goes into 2x4 mini DSP
-mini DSP goes into the studio monitors and a 1000w Pyle amp
-Pyle amp goes into the subs

I know that the light bulbs are linked with the buzzing and here are my observations:

-I usually have the lights at a dim purple setting and the buzzing is still somewhat loud and noticeable
-Whenever I have the lights at a bright white setting, the buzzing is extremely loud and intolerable (If I need the lights like that then I just turn the amp off)
-When the lights are completely turned off the buzzing is quieter but still noticeable and annoying. (This is true when I turn the lights off through the LED remote and through the electrical switch)
-Whenever something is being played through the system the buzzing still continues
-The studio monitors are plugged directly into different wall outlets but the amp is plugged into a line of 2 surge protectors that then go into a wall outlet (So the system uses multiple outlets)

I have dealt with this for months so I;m in no rush but I would prefer the cheapest and easiest option to fix this, any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-25-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will H View Post
So a few months ago I built a pair of duel 12" subs and those are combined with my 8" JBL studio monitors. Im not sure weather I did this before or after I built the subs but I also have 4 rgb LED light bulbs installed in the ceiling with a remote. Ever since I've had this setup there is an annoying and loud buzz coming from both the subs and monitors (much louder from the subs, the studio monitors aren't much of a problem)

-PC goes into mixer

I know that the light bulbs are linked with the buzzing and here are my observations:

-I usually have the lights at a dim purple setting and the buzzing is still somewhat loud and noticeable
-Whenever I have the lights at a bright white setting, the buzzing is extremely loud and intolerable (If I need the lights like that then I just turn the amp off)
-When the lights are completely turned off the buzzing is quieter but still noticeable and annoying. (This is true when I turn the lights off through the LED remote and through the electrical switch)
-Whenever something is being played through the system the buzzing still continues
-The studio monitors are plugged directly into different wall outlets but the amp is plugged into a line of 2 surge protectors that then go into a wall outlet (So the system uses multiple outlets)

I have dealt with this for months so I;m in no rush but I would prefer the cheapest and easiest option to fix this, any help would be appreciated
Could be a grounding issue. These cheater plugs could be an inexpensive solution.
https://www.amazon.com/Grounding-Con...%2C134&sr=8-10
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-MP...s%2C134&sr=8-3

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-25-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Could be a grounding issue. These cheater plugs could be an inexpensive solution.
https://www.amazon.com/Grounding-Con...%2C134&sr=8-10
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-MP...s%2C134&sr=8-3
All the power plugs in the system (Ones going into the surge protectors and walls) all have 3 prongs and go into 3 prong outlets so I;m confused as to how this would fix the problem but if it will an explanation would be great before I buy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-25-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
All the power plugs in the system (Ones going into the surge protectors and walls) all have 3 prongs and go into 3 prong outlets so I;m confused as to how this would fix the problem but if it will an explanation would be great before I buy
Hope this is helpful.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-26-2019, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Ok great Ill buy a few of them so theres one for my amp and one for each of the monitors, thanks.
pase22 likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-26-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Upgrading to Double-Shielded Audio Cable would be first priority...and make sure it is NOT laid close to AC Power Cables....

Sometimes the CATV coax entering house (likely connected to I-N Cable Modem via house Coax system) is the Source of Hum, which is then distributed to other components. Temporarily disconnect it from ALL components to see if Hum is reduced. If THAT is the problem, you can insert fol. CATV Ground Loop Isolation Filter...preferably screwed into the mandatory Cable Ground Block at the cable entry point to the house [do NOT confuse with CCTV Ground Loop Isolator which only has about 6 MHz Video Bandwidth]:
https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Isola.../dp/B074KD8X6S
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Beware of using "Ground Lift Plugs", except to perhaps conduct some tests to isolate the Actual Source of Hum. Safety Ground is an essential protection from shorts in Power Supply or EMI/RFI Power Filters [and unavoidable Leakage Current in that Filter]....it's there for a Very Good Reason.....

Last edited by holl_ands; 05-26-2019 at 05:04 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-26-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

-PC goes into mixer

Fire alert!!
“Cheater plugs”??

Take a look at the customer reviews and photos on the above Amazon product. Not good!
You have a somewhat complicated setup, perhaps making this a little more difficult to fix.
I always thought that LED lights would not cause this type of problem. What is rgb?
Put your gear on its own circuit breaker, not shared with anything else.
Can you plug all of your gear into receptacles that trace back to one circuit breaker?
Your lights and anything non stereo related to be on their own breaker?
Are you using pro gear?
fill35U likes this.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #8 of 18 Old 05-26-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That type of “cheater” was designed to use in older buildings that did not have today’s three prong type receptacles.

See Wiki “cheater plug”.
You must make sure to connect the ground on those cheater plugs to a proper electric ground.
That is why they come with the ground wires.
fill35U likes this.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
post #9 of 18 Old 05-26-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Cheater plugs don't always work. I have a ground loop in one of my rooms with dimmer lights. Receivers are already 2 prong and I have a hum issue with some receivers and not others. Specifically Marantz and HK receivers hum, but not with Yamaha, Pioneer, or Onkyo. I assume this has to do with differences in internal wiring.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-26-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driedmango View Post
Cheater plugs don't always work. I have a ground loop in one of my rooms with dimmer lights. Receivers are already 2 prong and I have a hum issue with some receivers and not others. Specifically Marantz and HK receivers hum, but not with Yamaha, Pioneer, or Onkyo. I assume this has to do with differences in internal wiring.
...ever try using a dedicated circuit?

post #11 of 18 Old 05-27-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
Fire alert!!
“Cheater plugs”??

Take a look at the customer reviews and photos on the above Amazon product. Not good!
You have a somewhat complicated setup, perhaps making this a little more difficult to fix.
I always thought that LED lights would not cause this type of problem. What is rgb?
Put your gear on its own circuit breaker, not shared with anything else.
Can you plug all of your gear into receptacles that trace back to one circuit breaker?
Your lights and anything non stereo related to be on their own breaker?
Are you using pro gear?
I am familiar with more audio related terminology but not electrical so a lot of this doesn't make sense to me... The lights are on the ceiling and linked with a switch on the other side of the studio. Im pretty sure this problem was or would be present with normal lights though. Although it is a fully fledged soundproof studio I wouldn't consider any of it pro gear...
Amp- $100-$150
Mixer - $50-$100
Mini DSP- $100-$150
Studio monitors - $300-$400
M50x headphones that also get buzzing
And I built the pair of duel 12" subs myself with $80 drivers and i forget the gauge

I can't have everything be plugged into the same spot since it is all spread around the room. The amp is plugged into a line of 2-3 surge protectors and the studio monitors are plugged into outlets on opposite sides of the room.

Is it possible that the mixer is causing this buzzing since the entire system comes from it? This is what i have https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Interfac...gateway&sr=8-3
post #12 of 18 Old 05-27-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What happens when you turn off the breaker for that room?
Do the lights and electronics turn off? If yes, can you figure a way to arrange all equipment to be on one circuit, and lights etc. to be on a different circuit breaker?

post #13 of 18 Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know that using cheater plugs is a controversial thing but, I just think it’s an easy way to make a BIG mistake.
fill35U likes this.

post #14 of 18 Old 05-29-2019, 07:08 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 42
When you say that the buzzing is present when the lights are off, I don't think they are really off. Is the dimmer rated for LEDs? Are the LEDs considered dimmable? I would first try disconnecting the dimmer to make sure the lights are really off. If that works, then try buying a dimmer switch with a separate on/off switch. That way you can really turn off the lights. Also, are the lights on the same circuit as your sound system? Make sure they are not (you can test that by plugging all your sound equipment into a long extension cord and plug it into a known different circuit).
Espo77 and fill35U like this.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-04-2019, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Using cheater plugs makes the buzzing from the subs go away completely and makes the buzz for the studio monitors much quieter. The amp and both studio monitors have the cheater plug going into at least 1 surge protector... is there still any electrical risk?
post #16 of 18 Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Using cheater plugs makes the buzzing from the subs go away completely and makes the buzz for the studio monitors much quieter. The amp and both studio monitors have the cheater plug going into at least 1 surge protector... is there still any electrical risk?

Did you look at posts 12 and 15 above...separating the A/V gear from everything else In the house?

post #17 of 18 Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
Did you look at posts 12 and 15 above...separating the A/V gear from everything else In the house?
I'd rather not make my dad go through the trouble of going to the basement and messing with the breakers. I also can't really change where things are plugged in without buying a bunch of extension cables. The cheater plugs fix the problem so my only question is if using them is safe when their all going into at least one surge protector...
post #18 of 18 Old 06-07-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd rather not make my dad go through the trouble of going to the basement and messing with the breakers. I also can't really change where things are plugged in without buying a bunch of extension cables. The cheater plugs fix the problem so my only question is if using them is safe when their all going into at least one surge protector...

The ground is there to protect the user. If something happens with the device and there is no ground, there’s trouble.

You say the problem is fixed, but a few posts ago you said subs are good but other speakers still buzz using the cheater.

If you’re satisfied with the results, then enjoy.
I just read an analogy where the kid said to his mom, “I play on the street every day, and I haven’t been run over yet.”
Please be safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page