Building a new theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Building a new theater

In my current living room/theater setup as a 7.1 I have all Definitive Technologies. I think I want to stay with them since I have had no issues with them in the 4 years they have been in use for daily TV watching / Movies and some video gaming.

I am building a dedicated theater that is 24'8"L x 15'4"W x 9'6"H. This will be a projector (that will be another thread) that I don't have yet. I am looking at building the new theater as a 7.2.4. I have the following speakers in mind for the new theater and I am looking for some opinions (some of these speakers are already owned some will be purchased).

New Theater:
RLS II - Left, Center, Right
RSS II - Left and Right Rear
RCS II - Left and Right Surround (2' above listening area)
IW Sub Reference - x2 (one in the front of the room one in the back of the room)
DT-8R - 4 Ceiling

Received - Denon 8500H (leaning towards this one)
Projector - No Clue (will be a painted wall screen approximately 120" throw.

Please advise and discuss. I have read several threads where there are some setups close to this but not exactly. I don't think I am interested in changing brands without a really persuasive argument as I would have to purchase all pieces (where I have more than half of the above already in my living room/theater setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1669
Real quick...

You only need the AVR to process 11 channels. I'd drop back a step or two to the X6500H or X4500H and put the couple of grand you save into more capable subs and more of them; ideally one in the mid-point of each wall if it's a true rectangular room.

Gotta run... more later maybe.

Last edited by GIEGAR; 05-25-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent thank you for the reply. Yes the room is rectangular. Would you actually put another set of subs in the same location as the Right and Left side speakers?

As for the receiver thank you for the recommendation it is appreciated. I will review those today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3006 Post(s)
Liked: 2496
Quote:
Originally Posted by phast930 View Post
In my current living room/theater setup as a 7.1 I have all Definitive Technologies. I think I want to stay with them since I have had no issues with them in the 4 years they have been in use for daily TV watching / Movies and some video gaming.

I am building a dedicated theater that is 24'8"L x 15'4"W x 9'6"H. This will be a projector (that will be another thread) that I don't have yet. I am looking at building the new theater as a 7.2.4. I have the following speakers in mind for the new theater and I am looking for some opinions (some of these speakers are already owned some will be purchased).

New Theater:
IW Sub Reference - x2 (one in the front of the room one in the back of the room)
DT-8R - 4 Ceiling

Please advise and discuss. I have read several threads where there are some setups close to this but not exactly. I don't think I am interested in changing brands without a really persuasive argument as I would have to purchase all pieces (where I have more than half of the above already in my living room/theater setup.
If you're set on using your De-Tech speakers it would make sense to get the matching speakers to what you already have. For the subs going in-wall will severely limit your options and placement flexibility. You can't just pick a spot and hope for the best. You should do a sub crawl (youtube) to determine where you get the best response before cutting out holes in the wall. Stand alone subs would be best if you can find room for them. NOTE: The subs don't need to match the rest of your setup. There are far better options for both price and performance.

As for the AVR, you were given some very good advice by a previous poster.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

Last edited by pase22; 05-26-2019 at 02:25 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Instead of a painted wall, I would suggest an acoustically-transparent screen. This would allow you to have all 3 LCR speakers installed vertically on the same plane behind the screen - that is the ideal configuration for your front channels.

I agree with not using in-wall subs.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
New Theater:
DT-8R - 4 Ceiling
Your plan looks solid to me. True, in wall subs definitely limit your ability to optimize location, but the locations you have chosen (center front wall and center back wall) have been shown to provide generally smooth bass response. The Denon flagship receiver would be extravagant to me, but if you have the budget and never want to second guess, than its a solid choice.
I would strongly second the suggestion of going with an AT screen. Paired with your in-walls, very little space would be given up to gain all the benefits of properly positioned speakers.
Your room dimensions hit what I would consider the sweet spot. Wide enough for comfortable seating plus aisles, long enough for a couple rows with room behind and high enough for a riser, but not so large that you need PA gear to fill it.
Will you be posting a build thread?
post #7 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Instead of a painted wall, I would suggest an acoustically-transparent screen. This would allow you to have all 3 LCR speakers installed vertically on the same plane behind the screen - that is the ideal configuration for your front channels.

I agree with not using in-wall subs.
So for unfortunately the back wall it an outside wall to my house so there would be no way without building a false wall to actually mount in walls on the wall behind the screen. The room is built just nothing in it yet.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Your plan looks solid to me. True, in wall subs definitely limit your ability to optimize location, but the locations you have chosen (center front wall and center back wall) have been shown to provide generally smooth bass response. The Denon flagship receiver would be extravagant to me, but if you have the budget and never want to second guess, than its a solid choice.
I would strongly second the suggestion of going with an AT screen. Paired with your in-walls, very little space would be given up to gain all the benefits of properly positioned speakers.
Your room dimensions hit what I would consider the sweet spot. Wide enough for comfortable seating plus aisles, long enough for a couple rows with room behind and high enough for a riser, but not so large that you need PA gear to fill it.
Will you be posting a build thread?
So I am not sold on using the in wall subs, I have 1 from my living room 7.1 setup. I have built out the screen area to look like a stage so I have area on the sides and bottom that will make it perfect for seated ear height.

I have no idea if I will do a build thread, I have seen some and since I am really new at it maybe I will to get some assistance along the way. I don't have any pictures at the moment but I can take some and upload them.

I had done a lot of research on room size before I had my house built, I had a lot of what you are saying in mind. Aisles on both sides without being cramped in the seating area and 2 rows one with a riser platform.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 2446
Quote:
So for unfortunately the back wall it an outside wall to my house so there would be no way without building a false wall to actually mount in walls on the wall behind the screen. The room is built just nothing in it yet.

At 25' in length you would have or could have enough space to build a false wall in front of the current wall. 2-3ft is all that is needed.

Most in wall speakers are a compromise unless you go really high end commercial grade. I would not go with in wall subs.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #10 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

There has been a lot about the subs and I appreciate that (not sold on doing in wall was just my first thoughts). I am curious if the other speakers are the correct choices for their locations as well.

Today I have the following:

1 - IW Reference Sub
2 - RLS II
2 - DT-8R speakers

What I have from my living room / theater build I was not going to use (unless they would be better choices over what I am planning on purchasing for the rear and side channels.

3 - DI 6.5 LCR

Again I appreciate the input, I am really just beginning to learn and start a real theater build.

Thank you.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3006 Post(s)
Liked: 2496
Quote:
There has been a lot about the subs and I appreciate that (not sold on doing in wall was just my first thoughts). I am curious if the other speakers are the correct choices for their locations as well.

Today I have the following:

1 - IW Reference Sub
2 - RLS II
2 - DT-8R speakers

What I have from my living room / theater build I was not going to use (unless they would be better choices over what I am planning on purchasing for the rear and side channels.

3 - DI 6.5 LCR

Again I appreciate the input, I am really just beginning to learn and start a real theater build.

Thank you.
If you can avoid doing in-wall for both speakers and subs that would be best. You'll have a lot more placement flexibility, better sound and a lot more options depending on budget. A false wall would allow you to keep the speakers out of sight and would allow 3 identical towers behind the AT screen.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page