In ceiling speaker recommendations please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-25-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
In ceiling speaker recommendations please

Big change of plans at my home. We planned to move and I was going to finish the basement how I saw fit. Instead, we have decided to stay put and move our teenagers into my 1800 sqft basement. My Onkyo 830, Deftech LCR and HSU vtf3.5 are going to make the trip to my loft (am considering going with inwall LCR). This is obviously not a great situation for audio considering its open to the hallway that leads to the 4 bedroom and half of it is open to the whole 1400sq main floor. I now have to deal with the WAF. I am for sure going to do 4x Atmos in ceiling. I don't think she will be ok with me hanging rears behind the couch which will be over the main floor's front door landing so I may as well pick up some in-ceiling rears. I would need something that tilts and I would put them far back in order to perceive the sound coming from behind me. Ill put the budget to not exceed $2000 but I would rather stay around $1000 for a 5.1.4 in wall setup and the sub is already taken care of. I am not worried about the Atmos channels being too nice as not much content comes through there. I love music and it will be a 50/50 setup so I would like to splurge on the LR (not center).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-25-2019, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked: 2333
Can't do in-ceiling rears and in-ceiling Atmos. All your bed speakers (the "5" in 5.1.4) need to be placed at half of wall height or lower, so there is separation from the Atmos speakers which are on the ceiling.

See the Dolby info for a layout:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html

If you can't find a way to get the surround speakers off the ceiling, one option might be to use pendant speakers for your surrounds. Check out Gallo Acoustics for good options if this appeals to you and passes WAF. If not, then look at the KEF T101 speakers .. nearly invisible they are so thin.

Also, your sub is going to be sub-optimal (!) in the open space of a loft. You will get the most benefit by placing it very near your seat, as a side table, or directly behind the couch. I suspect you will get a lot of complaints as the sub reverberates throughout the house, via that entranceway (lots of tile/stone/glass/wood, right?). So, it will behoove you to keep the volume down and the placement close. You might even consider adding transducers, to give you more of the physical portion of the experience that you will miss in the new configuration.

As to splurging, will you be listening to music in the stereo configuration (i.e. listening to the L&R speakers only in pure direct mode, sans sub)? If so, then getting tower speakers makes sense to keep some semblance of bass response. If, however, a sub will stay in the mix for your stereo listening, then it might make more sense to stick to higher quality bookshelf speakers.

As to which speakers to choose, there are literally hundreds of choices and we can't decide for you. The best approach is for you to devote a few weekends doing the rounds of various speaker purveyors in your area. Bring along a variety of well-known music and begin listening to lots of speakers. Take a few notes and report back your findings. Once you have a feel for your likes and dislikes in a sound signature, we can help steer you to quality options that meet your criteria.

Pictures or a diagram of the space would be helpful in visualizing the best approach to your new system.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-25-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page