• 1 Post By sigpig
  • 1 Post By Soulburner

post #1 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Best system for my budget

What are the best speakers and sub(s) for me with a $5000 budget. System will be in an untreated garage and 100% will be used for tv and movies. I can extend to $6000 if I can get Atmos speakers as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

4k UHD HDR = Heaven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I can't speak for the whole system but for the Atmos get RSL C34 they are phenomenal.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad WV View Post
I can't speak for the whole system but for the Atmos get RSL C34 they are phenomenal.
Also, no in wall or ceiling. I was looking at Klipsch RP-8060FA for 6 of the speakers with a RP-504C as the center. Horns are the best for movies and TV, correct?

4k UHD HDR = Heaven
post #5 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2528 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1ffb0 View Post
Also, no in wall or ceiling. I was looking at Klipsch RP-8060FA for 6 of the speakers with a RP-504C as the center. Horns are the best for movies and TV, correct?

That is a false premise. Depending on the circumstances, horns can be the solution, but that is not always true.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
In an untreated garage? Not the most comfortable place to watch movies, but it's your space. Keep in mind "untreated" means the room won't tolerate really high SPL due to all of the reflections.

But here's one take on the "best" $5k surround system that maybe keeps some of those reflections to a minimum. I was about to recommend JTR, but since you are looking at surrounds, those will blow your budget. If you skip surrounds, give JTR a look. Probably better to spend some money on absorption, though.

Speakers: PSA Bookshelf System, best with 5xMT-110 unless you really need a horizontal center (MT-110C). Choose MT-110SR if you need easier wall mounting for surrounds, keeping in mind they reach -3dB at 80Hz whereas the bookshelves go down to 70Hz.
Subwoofer: PSA V1510
Atmos: RSL Outsider II (2 pair)

Total: $4924.94

You will need some stands and 14awg speaker wire.

Those height speakers won't keep up with the PSAs if you decide to push to reference levels, but that would be ungodly loud and probably lead to hearing loss anyway. But they are purported to be really good, and ready to mount. The current consensus seems to be that the Atmos speakers aren't really pushed hard and much more speaker would be overkill.

Now...I would suggest covering at least part of the wall behind you with absorption, and putting down a good rug between your seats and the speakers. That can make a big difference to the quality of your sound and comfort.
sn1ffb0 likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #7 of 13 Old 05-27-2019, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
In an untreated garage? Not the most comfortable place to watch movies, but it's your space. Keep in mind "untreated" means the room won't tolerate really high SPL due to all of the reflections.

But here's one take on the "best" $5k surround system that maybe keeps some of those reflections to a minimum. I was about to recommend JTR, but since you are looking at surrounds, those will blow your budget. If you skip surrounds, give JTR a look. Probably better to spend some money on absorption, though.

Speakers: PSA Bookshelf System, best with 5xMT-110 unless you really need a horizontal center (MT-110C). Choose MT-110SR if you need easier wall mounting for surrounds, keeping in mind they reach -3dB at 80Hz whereas the bookshelves go down to 70Hz.

Subwoofer: PSA V1510

Atmos: RSL Outsider II (2 pair)

Total: $4924.94

You will need some stands and 14awg speaker wire.

Those height speakers won't keep up with the PSAs if you decide to push to reference levels, but that would be ungodly loud and probably lead to hearing loss anyway. But they are purported to be really good, and ready to mount. The current consensus seems to be that the Atmos speakers aren't really pushed hard and much more speaker would be overkill.

Now...I would suggest covering at least part of the wall behind you with absorption, and putting down a good rug between your seats and the speakers. That can make a big difference to the quality of your sound and comfort.
I will take a look at your recommendations. Thank you for all the info.

4k UHD HDR = Heaven
post #8 of 13 Old 05-27-2019, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would agree with some of the posts above.. Even the best speakers will sound terrible in an untreated garage. My advise would be start with a 5.1 system (or 5.1.2) and spend the $$ saved on sound treatments. Look at GIK Acoustics, ATS Acoustics or Real Traps.

Does your budget include cost of a receiver?

Spend the least amount of money on the Atmos speakers - since they only produce atmospheric sounds, it won’t be noticeable if they are a different brand. Plenty of options from Pioneer and Elac etc the 200-300 per pair range

HSU and Rythmik make good subwoofers in the 500-600 range, a 12” ported sub would work well. And would make it easy to add a second sub (for more even bass, and more volume) at a later date. Without room treatments, your bass will likely sound boomy and muddled - so larger/more subs will be wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 Old 05-28-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Since it is a garage, how important are aesthetics? budget solution: 5 (or 7) x Monoprice 15" passive PA speakers -in for under 1k, + subs of your choice, still in way under budget.

check out Tekton designs: several theater sets from ~ 1/2 budget to over budget...

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-28-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
Since it is a garage, how important are aesthetics? budget solution: 5 (or 7) x Monoprice 15" passive PA speakers -in for under 1k, + subs of your choice, still in way under budget.

check out Tekton designs: several theater sets from ~ 1/2 budget to over budget...
Aesthetics are a non factor. Would Tekton speakers be better than Klipsch?

4k UHD HDR = Heaven
post #11 of 13 Old 05-28-2019, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

totally subjective. Just trying to point out some options for you to consider. but also very efficient. They seem to be well regarded. and you will have more options on finishing. Also more of a boutique shop.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post

I second the recommendation for inexpensive PA Speakers if there is no plan to treat the room as PA speakers are actually designed for that type of use. If there is a plan to treat the room, I would suggest putting money toward that first, and then ask again for a recommendation based on remaining budget. Also keep in mind that with an untreated Garage the SPL level outside the Garage may be very high and lead to complaints from the neighbors and could even result in a call the the Police by said neighbors...
post #13 of 13 Old 06-15-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8490 Post(s)
Liked: 5671
Quote:

Do you live near any of these manufacturers/vendors?

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HI FI HEAVEN*** GREEN BAY WISONSIN
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN