AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Is it essential to have LCR horizontally in the same line? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3069740-essential-have-lcr-horizontally-same-line.html)

Menarini 05-26-2019 09:28 PM

Is it essential to have LCR horizontally in the same line?
 
Ideally it will be, but based on some placement issues im having in the room, i would have to place the center more in front of the left and right speakers. It might be about half a feet (6 in.) that the center would be more in front. I can still angle the center at my LP, im sitting in the middle and im mostly alone doing the listening/viewing. But that's not what im asking. What im saying is when looking at from the sides, the LCR won't be in a horizontal line, the center will have to be placed more in front to the left and right by about 6 inches due to some placement issues. Of course i will make all the
proper speaker delay adjustments at my LP in the AVP, but inspite of doing that, will this still negatively impact performance in movies/multichannel audio? center is a 2.5 way.

Soulburner 05-26-2019 10:07 PM

It shouldn't be a problem if your AVR can delay your L/R speakers. If you have an AVR that has Audyssey or other room correction system, it should catch the time arrival difference and adjust delay and level accordingly.

sivadselim 05-26-2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58102872)
What im saying is when looking at from the sides, the LCR won't be in a horizontal line, the center will have to be placed more in front to the left and right by about 6 inches due to some placement issues. Of course i will make all the proper speaker delay adjustments at my LP in the AVP, but in spite of doing that, will this still negatively impact performance in movies/multichannel audio?

No, it will be fine.

Adamg (Ret-Navy) 05-27-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58102872)
Ideally it will be, but based on some placement issues im having in the room, i would have to place the center more in front of the left and right speakers. It might be about half a feet (6 in.) that the center would be more in front. I can still angle the center at my LP, im sitting in the middle and im mostly alone doing the listening/viewing. But that's not what im asking. What im saying is when looking at from the sides, the LCR won't be in a horizontal line, the center will have to be placed more in front to the left and right by about 6 inches due to some placement issues. Of course i will make all the
proper speaker delay adjustments at my LP in the AVP, but inspite of doing that, will this still negatively impact performance in movies/multichannel audio? center is a 2.5 way.

Good question. Simplified answer.

Speed of Sound is about 1125 ft per second (approximate not considering environmental factors). Using a rounded down number of 1 foot per Millisecond. We can safely conclude the timing difference to be approximately less than (for 6 Inches) "1/2 a millisecond" time difference between your Main L&R speakers and the Center. I highly doubt you will, or even can, notice the difference in sound arrival times.:cool:

bobknavs 05-27-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) (Post 58103970)
Good question. Simplified answer.

Speed of Sound is about 1125 ft per second (approximate not considering environmental factors). Using a rounded down number of 1 foot per Millisecond. We can safely conclude the timing difference to be approximately less than (for 6 Inches) "1/2 a millisecond" time difference between your Main L&R speakers and the Center. I highly doubt you will, or even can, notice the difference in sound arrival times.:cool:

If you wanted to match delays, the speakers should be on an arc centered at the listening position. Not in a line.

I know of no one who does that.

Numerical example: if the right speaker was 22° off axis (the minimum recommended for a Dolby Atmos setup), and the listening distance on axis was 10' (3m), the speaker in line would be 9.4" (24 cm) farther from the listener than the center.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.