Is it essential to have LCR horizontally in the same line? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Soulburner
  • 2 Post By sivadselim
  • 2 Post By Adamg (Ret-Navy)

post #1 of 5 Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Is it essential to have LCR horizontally in the same line?

Ideally it will be, but based on some placement issues im having in the room, i would have to place the center more in front of the left and right speakers. It might be about half a feet (6 in.) that the center would be more in front. I can still angle the center at my LP, im sitting in the middle and im mostly alone doing the listening/viewing. But that's not what im asking. What im saying is when looking at from the sides, the LCR won't be in a horizontal line, the center will have to be placed more in front to the left and right by about 6 inches due to some placement issues. Of course i will make all the
proper speaker delay adjustments at my LP in the AVP, but inspite of doing that, will this still negatively impact performance in movies/multichannel audio? center is a 2.5 way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-26-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
It shouldn't be a problem if your AVR can delay your L/R speakers. If you have an AVR that has Audyssey or other room correction system, it should catch the time arrival difference and adjust delay and level accordingly.
sdg4vfx and Madmax67 like this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #3 of 5 Old 05-26-2019, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
What im saying is when looking at from the sides, the LCR won't be in a horizontal line, the center will have to be placed more in front to the left and right by about 6 inches due to some placement issues. Of course i will make all the proper speaker delay adjustments at my LP in the AVP, but in spite of doing that, will this still negatively impact performance in movies/multichannel audio?
No, it will be fine.
sdg4vfx and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-27-2019, 08:10 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Ideally it will be, but based on some placement issues im having in the room, i would have to place the center more in front of the left and right speakers. It might be about half a feet (6 in.) that the center would be more in front. I can still angle the center at my LP, im sitting in the middle and im mostly alone doing the listening/viewing. But that's not what im asking. What im saying is when looking at from the sides, the LCR won't be in a horizontal line, the center will have to be placed more in front to the left and right by about 6 inches due to some placement issues. Of course i will make all the
proper speaker delay adjustments at my LP in the AVP, but inspite of doing that, will this still negatively impact performance in movies/multichannel audio? center is a 2.5 way.
Good question. Simplified answer.

Speed of Sound is about 1125 ft per second (approximate not considering environmental factors). Using a rounded down number of 1 foot per Millisecond. We can safely conclude the timing difference to be approximately less than (for 6 Inches) "1/2 a millisecond" time difference between your Main L&R speakers and the Center. I highly doubt you will, or even can, notice the difference in sound arrival times.
smithsabom and Madmax67 like this.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-27-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Good question. Simplified answer.

Speed of Sound is about 1125 ft per second (approximate not considering environmental factors). Using a rounded down number of 1 foot per Millisecond. We can safely conclude the timing difference to be approximately less than (for 6 Inches) "1/2 a millisecond" time difference between your Main L&R speakers and the Center. I highly doubt you will, or even can, notice the difference in sound arrival times.
If you wanted to match delays, the speakers should be on an arc centered at the listening position. Not in a line.

I know of no one who does that.

Numerical example: if the right speaker was 22° off axis (the minimum recommended for a Dolby Atmos setup), and the listening distance on axis was 10' (3m), the speaker in line would be 9.4" (24 cm) farther from the listener than the center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page