Best Bookshelf and Center for Vocal Clarity, Emotiva? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Best Bookshelf and Center for Vocal Clarity, Emotiva?

Hello, I am really frustrated with my HT vocal clarity. I have tried and returned many and here I am with one more attempt before I just keep whatever and give up. I have tried Polk s35 and s15 setup and almost liked it but still parts of movies had unclear dialog. I tried the B&W 606 bookshelves without a center and that almost worked for me. Also tried the klipsch 160M and returned those as well. I also tried some cheaper stuff before this like sony speakers, pioneer, and even the very cheap miccas. I have a denon x1100w and I tried many different receivers but thought I should stick to this receiver and try other speakers.

I currently have the elac unib5 center and bookshelf L and R's. These I like the most out of everything I have tried. I actually watched a movie and understood about 90% of the words. Thats great for me. But I think I should have an even higher percentage. Please dont tell me about receiver settings or room acoustics and speaker placement I have tried it all. I am going to try another set of speakers.

I noticed that the vocal clarity is okay when there is nothing going on except voice. But as soon as something happens alongside with the voice I cant tell what anyone is saying. The bass frequencies start fighting eachother and in the voice and it gets very muddy. I did eq 250hz out of all 3 speakers about 3 dbs and it does help alot but I dont like the sound of these speakers EQ'd. Thats why I looking for naturally bright speakers. Also just so you know I sit about 9.5 feet away from the speakers so i would need midfield? and my space is about 2000 cubic feet'

My choices that ive been researching are
B1 and C1 Emotiva
Q150 by Kef
Studio 230 by JBL
Something by Q Acoustics. 3020i?

This is 99% Movies so vocal clarity is all im after. Sure the elacs sound amazing with explosions and effects but I cant tell what people are saying sometimes. What would you buy?

Last edited by FlashGordon30; 05-27-2019 at 10:55 AM.
FlashGordon30 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,923
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon30 View Post
Hello, I am really frustrated with my HT vocal clarity. I have tried and returned many and here I am with one more attempt before I just keep whatever and give up. I have tried Polk s35 and s15 setup and almost liked it but still parts of movies had unclear dialog. I tried the B&W 606 bookshelves without a center and that almost worked for me. Also tried the klipsch 160M and returned those as well. I also tried some cheaper stuff before this like sony speakers, pioneer, and even the very cheap miccas. I have a denon x1100w and I tried many different receivers but thought I should stick to this receiver and try other speakers.

I currently have the elac unib5 center and bookshelf L and R's. These I like the most out of everything I have tried. I actually watched a movie and understood about 90% of the words. Thats great for me. But I think I should have an even higher percentage. Please dont tell me about receiver settings or room acoustics and speaker placement I have tried it all. I am going to try another set of speakers.

I noticed that the vocal clarity is okay when there is nothing going on except voice. But as soon as something happens alongside with the voice I cant tell what anyone is saying. The bass frequencies start fighting eachother and in the voice and it gets very muddy. I did eq 250hz out of all 3 speakers about 3 dbs and it does help alot but I dont like the sound of these speakers EQ'd. Thats why I looking for naturally bright speakers. Also just so you know I sit about 9.5 feet away from the speakers so i would need midfield? and my space is about 2000 cubic feet'

My choices that ive been researching are
B1 and C1 Emotiva
Q150 by Kef
Studio 230 by JBL
Something by Q Acoustics. 3020i?

This is 99% Movies so vocal clarity is all im after. Sure the elacs sound amazing with explosions and effects but I cant tell what people are saying sometimes. What would you buy?

IME movie and TV dialogue is almost entirely dependent on the source. Some movies and TV are just mixed poorly and no speaker will fix it.



The Klipsch you had would have been the brightest of all the speakers you've tried. The emotive are more toward the neutral end. I don't think you're going to "fix" a none speaker issue with speakers.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
IME movie and TV dialogue is almost entirely dependent on the source. Some movies and TV are just mixed poorly and no speaker will fix it.



The Klipsch you had would have been the brightest of all the speakers you've tried. The emotive are more toward the neutral end. I don't think you're going to "fix" a none speaker issue with speakers.
any possible recommendations? I do agree with what your saying. Some movies sound perfect. Some not. I guess I should just have an eq setting ready for the poorly mixed movies.
FlashGordon30 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
IME movie and TV dialogue is almost entirely dependent on the source. Some movies and TV are just mixed poorly and no speaker will fix it.



The Klipsch you had would have been the brightest of all the speakers you've tried. The emotive are more toward the neutral end. I don't think you're going to "fix" a none speaker issue with speakers.
any possible recommendations? I do agree with what your saying. Some movies sound perfect. Some not. I guess I should just have an eq setting ready for the poorly mixed movies.
FlashGordon30 is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,790
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2565
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon30 View Post
any possible recommendations? I do agree with what your saying. Some movies sound perfect. Some not. I guess I should just have an eq setting ready for the poorly mixed movies.
Doesn't the dialogue adjustment feature help at all?

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I can relate to your frustrations - There is a post by 18hurtz ( IIRC) which is super detailed...short of it is have your hearing checked, you may have a "notch" in your hearing, and bumping up those frequencies may help.

There are other posts I have read about center channel speaker design. the typical horizontal MTM design is thought to suffer from "lobing"... shouldn't be an issue for you because the ELAC center you have is a co-axial design, which are often praised for off axis response.- however, have you tried just bumping only the center channel?

as for other design options: W t/m W - check out the emotiva C1, C2 - often highly recommended for vocal clarity

Many folks will recommend, if you have the clearance, to use 3 identical speakers for the L/C/R.

hope it helps.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
smithsabom is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,363
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2333
Many receivers have a mode called, "Dialog Lift" (or something along those lines). Have you tried that? Many folks bump the center channel's gain in the receiver by 3 dB. Have you tried that?

Also, the placement of the center channel can have a massive effect on the sound. The speaker should be at ear level, slightly overhanging the front of any furniture it may be sitting on. If you cannot get the center at seated ear height, then shim it so that it's angle is directly at your seated ears.

In addition, the subwoofer can cause all sorts of issues if the crossover is set too high or the sub is badly placed. Have you done a subwoofer crawl? If not, Google it on youtube. Are you running all the speakers as "small"? Where are you crossing over to the sub? What is the position of the crossover dial on the back of the sub? What sub are you using?

If your speakers are all up against walls, in corners, pushed up against furniture, then you are just asking for muddy sound. Pull the speakers out from any obstacles ... Pics of the space would be helpful in deducing the issues.
drh3b likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #8 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
What you want is midrange clarity. Skip 2-way Emotivas.

Agreed with the above - speakers near walls hurt clarity.

I have experience with these and the midrange is extremely good, a bit foward compared to others which is great for vocals, guitars, etc: https://rbhsound.com/series_impression.php

My Dad is running my towers and my Mom is running the bookshelves, both for music and TV use. They are branded as EMP Tek, who was bought by RBH.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 05-27-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Soulburner is online now  
post #9 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon30 View Post
Hello, I am really frustrated with my HT vocal clarity. I have tried and returned many and here I am with one more attempt before I just keep whatever and give up. I have tried Polk s35 and s15 setup and almost liked it but still parts of movies had unclear dialog. I tried the B&W 606 bookshelves without a center and that almost worked for me. Also tried the klipsch 160M and returned those as well. I also tried some cheaper stuff before this like sony speakers, pioneer, and even the very cheap miccas. I have a denon x1100w and I tried many different receivers but thought I should stick to this receiver and try other speakers.

I currently have the elac unib5 center and bookshelf L and R's. These I like the most out of everything I have tried. I actually watched a movie and understood about 90% of the words. Thats great for me. But I think I should have an even higher percentage. Please dont tell me about receiver settings or room acoustics and speaker placement I have tried it all. I am going to try another set of speakers.

I noticed that the vocal clarity is okay when there is nothing going on except voice. But as soon as something happens alongside with the voice I cant tell what anyone is saying. The bass frequencies start fighting eachother and in the voice and it gets very muddy. I did eq 250hz out of all 3 speakers about 3 dbs and it does help alot but I dont like the sound of these speakers EQ'd. Thats why I looking for naturally bright speakers. Also just so you know I sit about 9.5 feet away from the speakers so i would need midfield? and my space is about 2000 cubic feet'

My choices that ive been researching are
B1 and C1 Emotiva
Q150 by Kef
Studio 230 by JBL
Something by Q Acoustics. 3020i?

This is 99% Movies so vocal clarity is all im after. Sure the elacs sound amazing with explosions and effects but I cant tell what people are saying sometimes. What would you buy?
I had the same complaint about movies when watching that the voice clearity sucked. No metter the movie. Was recomended to emotiva speakers, T1, C2 and E1. I do believe going C2 for the center channel made a huge difference in voice clearity even in big action parts i can still hear people talking. I have not heard the B1 myself but sure they would sound good paired with a C2 if you cant fit towers. The C2 is masive, got me what i was looking for though.
mpk1970 likes this.
Gold87 is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 27,366
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
I have KEF Q150 speakers with an older KEF Reference Model 100 center. I have no problems with clarity at all. Maybe I'm not as discerning as you are though, hard to say.

I didn't notice what receiver you have, was it mentioned?

Klipsch speakers are known for their brightness and often recommended for home theater use. While not as bright as Klipsch, the KEF's have great clarity. I think you'd like the Q150 and could even use one as a center because of its UniQ design.

But hard to say why you're not getting the final 10% of dialogue clarity. Could be other factors too.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #11 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,253
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5269 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon30 View Post
My choices that ive been researching are
B1 and C1 Emotiva
Q150 by Kef
Studio 230 by JBL
Something by Q Acoustics. 3020i?
I really like the KEFs for clarity. I've used several of the Q series KEFs in our bedroom (2000 ft^3) with excellent results, especially with vocals. However, when I tried the same speakers (Q300s) in a much larger room (>6000 ft^3 & untreated) they seemed to sound much smaller than in the more intimate setting of our bedroom.

The KEFs can be found often in the AVS classifieds, Craigslist/OfferUp/LetGo, ebay, kefdirect.com and Accessories4less - https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ory/kef/1.html

Find a way to try some KEFs. You will know quickly whether or not they are to your taste. They are very easy to resell. The R-series even that more impressive (then there is a Reference series after that!).
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #12 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Typically, when we say "bright", we are talking about beyond 5kHz, usually from the tweeter. I don't think bright speakers are what you want, but a bit hotter midrange is. Also ensure room reflections aren't smearing your sound. That includes reflective surfaces between you and the system, like a table.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #13 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
What you want is midrange clarity. Skip 2-way Emotivas.

Agreed with the above - speakers near walls hurt clarity.

I have experience with these and the midrange is extremely good, a bit foward compared to others which is great for vocals, guitars, etc: https://rbhsound.com/series_impression.php

My Dad is running my towers and my Mom is running the bookshelves, both for music and TV use. They are branded as EMP Tek, who was bought by RBH.
emo centers are 3 way...
mpk1970 and audiofreak38 like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #14 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
emo centers are 3 way...
Yeah, I was speaking of the bookshelves. They don't excel at midrange clarity.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #15 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Yeah, I was speaking of the bookshelves. They don't excel at midrange clarity.
i thought it was about vocal clarity.. that would be mostly the center, right? edit... the books certainly wouldn't top my list for a 2.1 ht system, but i haven't seen even 1 complaint about clarity from the centers..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #16 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 859
What is it technically that makes dialog clearer in a speaker? besides obviously raising the volume. Is center speaker supposed to have dsp to enhance frequences of vocal range - I don't think this is true but maybe thats what 'dialog lift' does?
Defcon is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 05-27-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
You need uniform dispersion, with good drivers properly placed on the baffle to not interfere with each other, and a really good crossover that doesn't result in phase issues between drivers in the vocal range. I think a 3-way really helps, but it isn't required. If there are any sags in the response between 1-2Khz that can hurt dialogue clarity, as can too much midbass up to 300Hz. Sometimes you can improve clarity just by bringing 200-300Hz down a bit. Be careful not to impede on the really deep male voices. Not running your subwoofer too high, with a crossover with a steeper slope (like 24dB/oct instead of 12dB) can also help clear things up.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 05-27-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Soulburner is online now  
post #18 of 31 Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Suggestion:

Start with Emotiva Center C1/C2 or Chane's A2.4 see how those work for you before buying LR.

I also have the QA3020i which are good as clarity/detail with Emo C1 center-- they blend good together

Its hard to pass the the close out deal on Emo T1 towers at $499/pr ---but maybe you dont want towers. With either Emo C1/C2 or Chane's A2.4 as center(s) you can blend a variety of bookshelf speakers since these two brands are neutral type speakers
Lp85253 likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
mpk1970 is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 05-28-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Couple things:

You don't mention how your speakers are placed . Is the center above or below your TV screen?

A couple tricks that I've learned (I had the same issue as you do, couldn't hearing 1/2 of the dialog)
Angle the center so it points directly at your seating position (i.e., if the speaker is above the TV, angle it down so tweeter points at your head , same for if it is below the screen.
when you run Audyssey with the mic, instead of placing the mic 2 feet away from each testing location, do only 1 foot away (tightening the measurement range closer to your sitting position), except the last two measurements, make them 2 feet *above* your ear level.

When this was suggested to me, I kinda went "huh?"...Try it. It made a significant difference for me. Without spending a dime more.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
christoofar is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 05-29-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Couple things:

You don't mention how your speakers are placed . Is the center above or below your TV screen?

A couple tricks that I've learned (I had the same issue as you do, couldn't hearing 1/2 of the dialog)
Angle the center so it points directly at your seating position (i.e., if the speaker is above the TV, angle it down so tweeter points at your head , same for if it is below the screen.
when you run Audyssey with the mic, instead of placing the mic 2 feet away from each testing location, do only 1 foot away (tightening the measurement range closer to your sitting position), except the last two measurements, make them 2 feet *above* your ear level.

When this was suggested to me, I kinda went "huh?"...Try it. It made a significant difference for me. Without spending a dime more.
Hey thanks for the tip this has made an obvious difference for the better!
christoofar likes this.
FlashGordon30 is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 05-29-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Well the bookshelves came in today from amazon. The emotiva b1. They are giving about 98% rate of intelligibility for movie dialog now, AMAZING! and thats with just the 2 bookshelves. The center channel speaker comes in tomorrow. I can't believe after klipsch, polk, sony, and even b&w and elac unifi the emotivas are the winner by a long shot. I guess I just needed a more analytical type speaker for home theater, but these dont even give off that impression of too bright or anything, just an amazing flat and clear speaker.
Lp85253 likes this.
FlashGordon30 is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 05-29-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon30 View Post
Well the bookshelves came in today from amazon. The emotiva b1. They are giving about 98% rate of intelligibility for movie dialog now, AMAZING! and thats with just the 2 bookshelves. The center channel speaker comes in tomorrow. I can't believe after klipsch, polk, sony, and even b&w and elac unifi the emotivas are the winner by a long shot. I guess I just needed a more analytical type speaker for home theater, but these dont even give off that impression of too bright or anything, just an amazing flat and clear speaker.
b1's are darn good for the money .. i'm listening to music with mine right now,, get either c1 or c2 and enjoy
mpk1970 and FlashGordon30 like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #23 of 31 Old 05-29-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Glad you're liking them. But my guess is if you think the B1s have a great mid-range, there were other factors at play in muddying your sound. They technically have a small dip in the mid-range.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #24 of 31 Old 05-29-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Glad you're liking them. But my guess is if you think the B1s have a great mid-range, there were other factors at play in muddying your sound. They technically have a small dip in the mid-range.
Dennis actually measured them with a slight plateau at about 800- 2k mhz...he said that does muddy the clarity a bit..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #25 of 31 Old 05-29-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Glad you're liking them. But my guess is if you think the B1s have a great mid-range, there were other factors at play in muddying your sound. They technically have a small dip in the mid-range.
Dennis actually measured them with a slight plateau at about 800- 2k mhz...he said that does muddy the clarity a bit..
It's possible that the Airmotiv 5s and 6s (powered) are slightly different than the B1 (passive) if the crossover components are different. The drivers are the same, though. I just speak from experience that the EMP/RBH Impression speakers are much better in the mid-range than the Airmotivs and really stand out with TV watching.
Lp85253 likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #26 of 31 Old 05-29-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
It's possible that the Airmotiv 5s and 6s (powered) are slightly different than the B1 (passive) if the crossover components are different. The drivers are the same, though. I just speak from experience that the EMP/RBH Impression speakers are much better in the mid-range than the Airmotivs and really stand out with TV watching.
i don't doubt you ..but i would think the b1's are different from the powered speakers in FR...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #27 of 31 Old 05-29-2019, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Dali Zensor or Oberon are great for vocal clarity. Really their strong suit.
Lp85253 likes this.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
Spectah is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 05-29-2019, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
l0nestar8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
The emotiva b1's are remarkably flat across the midrange considering their price. Here's a comparison to the "bright" Kef Q100:



Even the off-axis response is without any major midrange dips:



The broad hump centered around ~1.5kHz will make them even more intelligible for the human voice. The b1's have the kind of flatness you normally only see in studio monitors (which is what movies/TV are mixed on, not coincidentally) and "luxury" brands like Revel, Dyanudio, etc. In fact, the emos are probably much more neutral than either my own Revels or Dyns.

By all accounts, the little b1's are about as flat and clear as can be had for the price and are a great choice for clear dialogue/vocals.
Lp85253 and Soulburner like this.

Speakers: M040 | M16 | LS50 | Reva-2| BM5 mk3 | X18 | X14
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810
l0nestar8 is online now  
post #29 of 31 Old 05-29-2019, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
l0nestar8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectah View Post
Dali Zensor or Oberon are great for vocal clarity. Really their strong suit.
I can vouch for the zensors in this regard. Great vocal clarity. Maybe even TOO great at times, lol.

Speakers: M040 | M16 | LS50 | Reva-2| BM5 mk3 | X18 | X14
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810
l0nestar8 is online now  
post #30 of 31 Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I'm new 'round here, but I just picked up a Kef Q650c and it's about as clear as I can imagine for vocals. I've been using it for both movies/TV and podcasts and it's pretty darn detailed.
Moscoe is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off