Is the concept of speaker break in true? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 132Likes

post #91 of 96 Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 479
I worked for several years in a loudspeaker manufacturing facility. We would measure the free-air impedance of drivers right off the line, then hang them with a cable noose around the magnet and 30 volts of 35 Hz into them overnight to stretch them out. In the morning the resulting impedance measurement would show a drop in resonance of 1-2 Hz, if that. Spiders were the main factor.

IMO, "break-in" happens when a paying consumer adopts a new speaker into his home and is initially disappointed that his hopes -- closing his eyes and having musicians magically appear in front of him -- aren't happening. Once the reality of the limitations of loudspeakers sinks in (again), he relaxes and is then able to enjoy the pleasures of recorded music.

(But maybe -- just maybe -- if someday he spends more $$$, it could happen...???)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 06-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 181
It doesn't really matter whether the phenomenon is due to listener acclimation, component change, or some combination of the two. The point of "break-in" advice is to get people to reserve judgment until their perception of a new component's performance stabilizes. With some loudspeakers and listeners, that takes a while. For others, it happens fast.

Like callas01 with his new Dynaudio Contours, I experienced some favorable and unfavorable swings and moments of regret and disappointment when "breaking in" my Dynaudio Confidence C2 speakers. I really don't care how much of that was actual break-in (probably not much) versus acclimating to a different sound (probably most of it). It doesn't matter except in internet pissing contests. What matters is that I came around to love them after a few months, I've owned them longer than any other pair of speakers, and I don't want to replace them.

Unlike my experience with the Dynaudio C2s, the break-in/acclimation period has been fast with some other speakers I've owned. But ironically, those are the speakers I got rid of the soonest.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #93 of 96 Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
To some extent, yes. Our hearing also stores & retrieves acoustical profiles of rooms we've been in: i.e., when we walk into a familiar room while having a conversation, our hearing doesn't acclimate to it all over again but instead pulls it's acoustical profile stored in memory. So, familiar loudspeakers will still sound familiar even if you haven't heard them for a while.

They can, but that still fails to explain why a brand new identical set of speakers will cause the same issues until they have few hours on them.

For instance, I buy 4 speakers for my HT system and break them in 2 x 2 (as this is exactly what I did). They were all a bit harsh to me until they had a couple of hours on them. Afterward, I A/B'd them and couldn't tell them apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 96 Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
With new speakers, I change voice coil ferrofluid after 50 hours.
Are you using a full synthetic? If so, you could probably stretch that out to about 300 hours or so, unless you listen to very "dirty" content, then you need to change it more often!
post #95 of 96 Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3552 Post(s)
Liked: 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
... I really don't care how much of that was actual break-in (probably not much) versus acclimating to a different sound (probably most of it). It doesn't matter except in internet pissing contests. ...
I agree with your assessment of the balance between actual break-in versus different sound acclimation. No question that forums tend to generate a lot of pissing contests. However, good forums like AVS Forum also generate a lot of thoughtful, intelligent discussion about various issues. Searching for the truth actually matters quite a lot so I think it's important for us all to make an effort to separate the wheat from the chaff in all aspects of the world we live in.
post #96 of 96 Old 06-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Not sure I agree with that. I've been burned before by buying stuff that sounded impressive on the first listen but turned out to have major flaws that only became apparent over time, and that I couldn't live with. Conversely, some of my favorite gear sounded underwhelming at first. Often the most neutral sounding speakers (to my ears) sound boring during auditions because they don't have much of a sound.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page