Hello AVS, requesting component advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By spyboy
  • 1 Post By spyboy
  • 1 Post By sigpig
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By Gold87

post #1 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello AVS, requesting component advice

Good day fine people of AVS Forum.

I've been using an out of box lg system for quite awhile (since ahem 2011) and recently tried Vizio sb365152-f6 atmos sound bar which did sound a lot better than current dinosaur system but I wasnt exactly satisfied with it for a few reasons.

Reason 1: Main tv is a Samsung that does not support atmos and therefore in order to have the bar going in atmos I had to use my xbox x which is not ideal.

Reason 2: When streaming through xbox, tiny vizio speakers were not capable to deliver atmos experience what so ever. I was thinking to get a bigger bar mfg'd by vizio however when i popped a new model number i came across this forum.

So I've lurked for a few minutes and realized that boxed setups of any kind is a waste. I've looked through some threads and compiled a list of the following components thanks to this community and now asking for a sound advice/confirmation if the components are OK to begin with and what would you recommend to change or add:

Denon AVRS740H 7.2 - 429.99
Emotiva B1 (fronts) - 349.00
Emotiva C1 (center) - 317.67
Emotiva E1 (side surrounds) - 286.60

Please suggest what to get for:
Rear speakers
Subwoofer
Wires
Anything else ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-05-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 6137 Post(s)
Liked: 5351
If you want to experience Atmos, you're going to have to add at least one pair of Height speakers to your list.
KeepRunningAVS likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-05-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 148
What is your budget for the subwoofer? And do you have size limitations for the subwoofer? How large is you room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
If you want to experience Atmos, you're going to have to add at least one pair of Height speakers to your list.
Fine folks at avs are recommending to stick with 1 manufacturer for speakers and it doesnt appear that emotiva is making any up-firing speakers yet. I want to avoid mounting any on the walls or ceiling for the time being. What would be a good choice to mix&match with the rest of the setup ?
post #5 of 12 Old 06-06-2019, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
What is your budget for the subwoofer? And do you have size limitations for the subwoofer? How large is you room?
Trying to be at no more then 500CAD for the sub if possible. I think 10inch should do the job. I am not sure about room size but its fairly open.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-06-2019, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 148
You might like the SVS PB-1000.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-07-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
You might like the SVS PB-1000.
Thanks for the tip !!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRunningAVS View Post
Thanks for the tip !!
https://www.sonicboomaudio.com/box-s...td9s7le8rr4ac6
post #9 of 12 Old 06-08-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked: 2486
Quote:
Good day fine people of AVS Forum.

I've been using an out of box lg system for quite awhile (since ahem 2011) and recently tried Vizio sb365152-f6 atmos sound bar which did sound a lot better than current dinosaur system but I wasnt exactly satisfied with it for a few reasons.

Reason 1: Main tv is a Samsung that does not support atmos and therefore in order to have the bar going in atmos I had to use my xbox x which is not ideal.

Reason 2: When streaming through xbox, tiny vizio speakers were not capable to deliver atmos experience what so ever. I was thinking to get a bigger bar mfg'd by vizio however when i popped a new model number i came across this forum.

So I've lurked for a few minutes and realized that boxed setups of any kind is a waste. I've looked through some threads and compiled a list of the following components thanks to this community and now asking for a sound advice/confirmation if the components are OK to begin with and what would you recommend to change or add:

Denon AVRS740H 7.2 - 429.99
Emotiva B1 (fronts) - 349.00
Emotiva C1 (center) - 317.67
Emotiva E1 (side surrounds) - 286.60

Please suggest what to get for:
Rear speakers
Subwoofer
Wires
Anything else ?
The Emotiva setup will be hard to beat for the price and will easily trounce the sound bars you were considering. Another pair of B1's mounted up high on the wall would be ideal, but if you have to use add on modules, SVS elevation speakers would be a good option. You Can get a higher end AVR for the same $ from Gibby's which wouldn't be a bad idea with the harder to drive Emotiva speakers. I recommend holding off on the atmos speakers in order to afford a better sub. The sub & center are the workhorses and can make or break an HT setup. The aforementioned PB-1000 is a good option, but if budget allows for the PB-2000 that would be better.
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....eiver-b-stock/
https://www.sonicboomaudio.com/box-s...s11jb4b5l52on7

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-09-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Fine folks at avs are recommending to stick with 1 manufacturer for speakers and it doesnt appear that emotiva is making any up-firing speakers yet. I want to avoid mounting any on the walls or ceiling for the time being. What would be a good choice to mix&match with the rest of the setup ?
Enotiva does have a A1 speakers coming out for atmos (not sure when). There is very little info on the speakers really. Might be able to use them as atmos modules, the spec sheet i seen advertised as height speakers though.

I have emotive T1/C2 and E2. Had E1 as surrounds and did not like them so they got replaced with E2. I use my old monoprice speakers for atmos and really you can use any atmos speaker for upfiring. Mine sound great. I will be adding ceiling speakers soon that are not emotiva.

The B1 and E1 are out of stock and not sure if the E1 will ever come back into stock as they are replacing it with E1+.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the info pase22 & Gold87. Now that I have a list of components it appears i cant buy all of it at once. Some are out of stock and some are available in US only, making things pricier than expected.

I found a set at costco which includes:

Sony STR-DH790 home theatre AV receiver
2 x S807 tower speakers
2 x S801 bookshelf speaker
2 x S8 Atmos module
1 x S81 CEN centre speaker
1 x S810 subwoofer

Total $1600cad

Do you think these are worthwhile ?
post #12 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8467 Post(s)
Liked: 5652
Quote:
Thank you very much for the info pase22 & Gold87. Now that I have a list of components it appears i cant buy all of it at once. Some are out of stock and some are available in US only, making things pricier than expected.

I found a set at costco which includes:

Sony STR-DH790 home theatre AV receiver
2 x S807 tower speakers
2 x S801 bookshelf speaker
2 x S8 Atmos module
1 x S81 CEN centre speaker
1 x S810 subwoofer

Total $1600cad

Do you think these are worthwhile ?
No.

The best deal on speakers in Canada are NHTs via Amazon Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=nht+speake...f=nb_sb_noss_2

The best deal on a "budget" sub if the PB1000 is too spendy is the $383 CAD ELAC Debut 2.0 DS10.2 or for even less, the Monoprice for $195 CAD via Amazon Prime.

The Denon AVRS540BT on Amazon for just $298 CAD is a very nice little unit.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page