Focal Sopra 2's vs Titron GoldenEar Reference speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By sheavy

post #1 of 11 Old 06-07-2019, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Focal Sopra 2's vs Titron GoldenEar Reference speakers

Hello there, After a long and drawn out process, I’m finally down to a couple of choices for my New Speakers. The two speakers are the Focal Sopra 2 and the Golden ear Triton Reference Speakers/ I’ll either buy the golden ears new or buy second hand sopra’s 2’s only used for 2 months. The price is the same either way. I have heard both speakers in perfectly attuned rooms that were tweaked out. The last set of speakers I purchased sounded very different in my NON dedicated listening room than they did in the store. After this speaker purchase " which is a big one for me at these prices" I don’t want to even think of buying new loud speakers for years. I’m not one to change his gear often. Though I do change my underwear everyday. That was a very poor attempt at humor. If any of you reading this have heard both of these speakers, I would love to hear your thoughts on them good, bad or indifferent. My non dedicated listening room DIMENSIONS are 8 FEET HIGH,20 FEET LONG and 14 FEET WIDE. I will be using Mcintosh solid state preamp and power amp for the new speakers. After the speaker purchase, future purchases and time spent reading about hi-fi will be dedicated to room improvements. I like to listen to music loud, very rarely do I listen at low volumes. I’m 50 percent split on the music of my youth, Metal and punk. The other 50 percent Diana Krall, Duke Ellington
and more audiophile like music. It seems to me at the 11 Canadian price point it’s hard to find a speaker that does it all well. I have to admit I’m a huge mark for the look of the sopra 2 loudspeaker. Of course the Golden ear reference come with built in woofers which is a plus. I’m not a big bass head though. If any of you fine people could offer me your opinions or some insight to either speaker, It would be greatly appreciated. I;m a bit antsy as this is a big purchases for me and I don’t want to mess it up. A huge thank you for taking the time to read this long winded post. Would love to hear some strong opinions. Enjoy the music.

Mikey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheavy View Post
Hello there, After a long and drawn out process, I’m finally down to a couple of choices for my New Speakers. The two speakers are the Focal Sopra 2 and the Golden ear Triton Reference Speakers/ I’ll either buy the golden ears new or buy second hand sopra’s 2’s only used for 2 months. The price is the same either way. I have heard both speakers in perfectly attuned rooms that were tweaked out. The last set of speakers I purchased sounded very different in my NON dedicated listening room than they did in the store. After this speaker purchase " which is a big one for me at these prices" I don’t want to even think of buying new loud speakers for years. I’m not one to change his gear often. Though I do change my underwear everyday. That was a very poor attempt at humor. If any of you reading this have heard both of these speakers, I would love to hear your thoughts on them good, bad or indifferent. My non dedicated listening room DIMENSIONS are 8 FEET HIGH,20 FEET LONG and 14 FEET WIDE. I will be using Mcintosh solid state preamp and power amp for the new speakers. After the speaker purchase, future purchases and time spent reading about hi-fi will be dedicated to room improvements. I like to listen to music loud, very rarely do I listen at low volumes. I’m 50 percent split on the music of my youth, Metal and punk. The other 50 percent Diana Krall, Duke Ellington
and more audiophile like music. It seems to me at the 11 Canadian price point it’s hard to find a speaker that does it all well. I have to admit I’m a huge mark for the look of the sopra 2 loudspeaker. Of course the Golden ear reference come with built in woofers which is a plus. I’m not a big bass head though. If any of you fine people could offer me your opinions or some insight to either speaker, It would be greatly appreciated. I;m a bit antsy as this is a big purchases for me and I don’t want to mess it up. A huge thank you for taking the time to read this long winded post. Would love to hear some strong opinions. Enjoy the music.

Mikey
The main problem with buying speakers with built in subs is that the subs will sub amps eventually die. The best placement options for the speakers is rarely the best placement for subs so you be better off going with separate subs. Sperate subs can be optimally placed and setup will likely sound better. You're also not limited to size so you can get subs that are adequate for the size of your room.

i'd personally go with the Sopras. They sound fantastic and really look nice.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 901
I’ve heard the GE 1, 2, 5, & 7 and really not a fan of any of them. I think they’re overhyped. JMO. I’ve also had some time with the Sopra 1, 2, & 3 and thought they did just about everything right, personally not speakers I’d want to own just because my tastes lie somewhere else but I couldn’t find much at fault with them. Then if you consider looks, the Sopra wins hands down!

Personally I’m 100% for the Sopra in your case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 166
sopra's all day long....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I
post #5 of 11 Old 06-08-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The main problem with buying speakers with built in subs is that the subs will sub amps eventually die. The best placement options for the speakers is rarely the best placement for subs so you be better off going with separate subs. Sperate subs can be optimally placed and setup will likely sound better. You're also not limited to size so you can get subs that are adequate for the size of your room.

i'd personally go with the Sopras. They sound fantastic and really look nice.
I agree on not buying speakers with built in subs. I would go for the Sopras.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-09-2019, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Again, thank you all for your opinions and insight. I have a few questions. Regarding the goldenear Triton 1 R's, What percentage would you put on these in terms of being equal to the the reference. I read the reviews and what people write about them in the forums and I get the impression they are 95 percent the equal of the references and 3 grand cheaper. What percentage would you put it at? Can you sit 8 feet away from the 1 r's and feel a punch in the gut at loud volumes? Obviously the bass on the reference will win out every time. Leaving base aside, how close are the r 1's to the big Daddy's?
Regarding focal, how would you compare the Kanta 3's which are cheaper than the sopra 2 's and a more recent model with bigger woofers? Do these speakers play Big?
On a completely separate matter, h0w do you all feel about buying speakers from DIY companies like salk and teketon? If something goes wrong I guess you have to package it up and send it back to them. And for me there would be the border stop as I'm in Canada and then off to the company. You can't get your dealer to send it back or take it as it would have to go back to where it came from sent from your home. I don't know, is that risky business for the owner?
Thank you for reading.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-15-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8587 Post(s)
Liked: 5785
Quote:
Again, thank you all for your opinions and insight. I have a few questions. Regarding the goldenear Triton 1 R's, What percentage would you put on these in terms of being equal to the the reference. I read the reviews and what people write about them in the forums and I get the impression they are 95 percent the equal of the references and 3 grand cheaper. What percentage would you put it at? Can you sit 8 feet away from the 1 r's and feel a punch in the gut at loud volumes? Obviously the bass on the reference will win out every time. Leaving base aside, how close are the r 1's to the big Daddy's?
Regarding focal, how would you compare the Kanta 3's which are cheaper than the sopra 2 's and a more recent model with bigger woofers? Do these speakers play Big?
On a completely separate matter, h0w do you all feel about buying speakers from DIY companies like salk and teketon? If something goes wrong I guess you have to package it up and send it back to them. And for me there would be the border stop as I'm in Canada and then off to the company. You can't get your dealer to send it back or take it as it would have to go back to where it came from sent from your home. I don't know, is that risky business for the owner?
Thank you for reading.
Look at the listening window measurements for the two speakers you are considering here.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140

The GEs have a rather sharply rising treble above 5khz so if you like that sort of sound, (a minority of AVS members do), then you'll prefer them.

If you prefer a slightly warmer sound in the mids you'll likely prefer the Focals judging by their listening window.

GEs One R's are the top chart, Sopra 2s are the bottom chart.

Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

gajca, thank you for that great info.
gajCA likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 529
I can't even believe that these two speakers are in the same decision pool. I would categorize Golden Ear speakers with Polk and Definitive not Focal .Focal Sopra 2's are in a different league. Focal any day of the week no any day of the year. Go for the Focals and definitely if they ar eonlt 2 months old.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked: 2353
Not a fan of towers with built-in powered bass modules (they are not really subs). If you want that sort of bass response, then you are better off getting a separate sub(s), for placement flexibility and the additional extension. So, another vote for Focal.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I watched this YouTube video last night that would be useful in answering your questions:

I believe he said he was surprised how close the performance of the One.R's are to the Reference. I auditioned the One.R's next to Revel F208's last weekend and preferred the F208's, but they need to be paired with dual subs. There are certainly benefits to having built-in subs. One such benefit that I didn't realize until recently is that integrated subs are perfectly in phase with the tower. Dedicated subs require more calibration. Keep us updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page