Worth it to replace my Klipsch speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1

post #1 of 26 Old 06-08-2019, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Worth it to replace my Klipsch speakers?

Hey everyone,

I have 2 Klipsch R-28F's for LR and a Klipsch R-25C for my center. I have been thinking lately about possibly replacing them with SVS Ultra towers for LR and Ultra center.

I am not really what I would call an audiophile, but I do enjoy watching movies. Would there be a noticeable and valued difference by replacing them? If I did replace them, I was thinking about adding an amp like the Emotiva XPA 3 at some point.

Picture attached for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Theater.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2577648  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-08-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 981
If you are a fan of the way the Klipsch horn presents itself, I think a better upgrade for movies would be moving to their new RP series.

That line of Klipsch you have, is now a generation old and moving up to the RP series, which has been updated, along with the R series, would be a very nice upgrade.

The new RP series has been given plenty of rave reviews by hobbyists and audiophiles alike.

Have a listen to them at your local Best Buy.
vzphoneman likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 26 Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked: 2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeparisoe View Post
Hey everyone,

I have 2 Klipsch R-28F's for LR and a Klipsch R-25C for my center. I have been thinking lately about possibly replacing them with SVS Ultra towers for LR and Ultra center.

I am not really what I would call an audiophile, but I do enjoy watching movies. Would there be a noticeable and valued difference by replacing them? If I did replace them, I was thinking about adding an amp like the Emotiva XPA 3 at some point.

What to you feel is lacking with your current setup?
What AVR and sub do you have?
How big is the room?
How loud do you listen ?
How far back is the seating?

Based on the picture provided, you R28's are too close to wall. Pull them forward as much as you can get away with. Also pull the center forward to about an inch over the ledge.
vzphoneman likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

Last edited by pase22; 06-08-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 06-08-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

What to you feel is lacking with your current setup? I really don't know if I feel like I am lacking anything, other than maybe better speakers would be more clear and have details I might be missing.
What AVR and sub do you have? Marantz 6011 and an SVS PB-3000
How big is the room? About 13x20x8 with one wall being open halfway into the kitchen and dining room
How loud do you listen ? Normal listening around -20 and movie night with the wife being around -13
How far back is the seating? About 12 ft from the front speakers.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-08-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 2265
To hear what you are missing, go do some listening sessions. Listen to Polk, KEF, ELAC, B&W, Golden Ear, Martin Logan, and anything else you can find to demo. Bring along a wide variety of well-known music, equalize the volume for each new speaker (some speakers are more efficient than others) then just listen. Take a few notes about what you hear as you are listening. Get a feel for what is available and what it costs. Never buy on first listen (i.e. impulse), as that is almost always a mistake. Narrow it down to a couple of options and listen again at length. Take one or two options home and return the loser.

Bear in mind that those Klipsch have trained your ears to expect a certain kind of sound signature. New speakers will be a shock, initially, but let your ears get used to the change before rejecting the new sound.

There are also internet only options, which we can recommend, but you need to give us your criteria, and listening is the only way for you to deduce what it is you are looking for.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-08-2019 at 03:07 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-08-2019, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Actually a better upgrade would be a used set of RF7II'S...... those, to me, were the best tower speakers Klipsch has ever made.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch R5800 7.2 Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #7 of 26 Old 06-08-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
If you are a fan of the way the Klipsch horn presents itself, I think a better upgrade for movies would be moving to their new RP series.

That line of Klipsch you have, is now a generation old and moving up to the RP series, which has been updated, along with the R series, would be a very nice upgrade.

The new RP series has been given plenty of rave reviews by hobbyists and audiophiles alike.

Have a listen to them at your local Best Buy.
When you are there, listen to Kef R series speakers as well.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-09-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2259 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Your speakers are too close to the wall behind. Though that is moderated by the fact that you have a Subwoofer, and presuming that your AV Receiver is set to SMALL, so deep bass is not sent to the Front Speakers.

I would speculate for the best sound you need at least 12" behind the speakers.

Klipsch has made a major break through in the RP-Series by using a Rubberized Horn. In the past some said the Klipsch could be "shouty", which was most likely the plastic Horn resonating, The new Rubberized Horns don't do this, so upgrading to them is a serious upgrade. You can find countless reviews on the Klipsch RP-Series all very positive. In fact Stereophile Magazine recently reviewed the 6.5" Klipsch RP-600 Bookshelf, this is their conclusion - Super-Highly Recommended.

The RP are still characteristically Klipsch, but more refined and controlled. They are actually in their second generation of Rubberized Horns in the RP-Series.

I'm surprised it took them so long. It has been well known for decades that if you have "Shouty" horns, you can tame them by gooping on Silicone or Butyl Rubber caulking in a layer onto the horns.

Again, check reviews on the Klipsch RP-Series, nothing but positive rave reviews.

The RP are a substantial upgrade from the more common R-Series, and a very substantial upgrade from the older R-Series.

https://www.klipsch.com/floor-speakers#all-new-rp

https://www.klipsch.com/bookshelf-speakers#all-new-rp

I believe you can still get the previous RP-Series on deep discounts. Here are equivalent products in the Newer and the previous RP-Series -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP6...rch=Klipsch+RP

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP1...rch=Klipsch+RP

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP8...rch=Klipsch_RP

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP2...rch=Klipsch_RP

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard
post #9 of 26 Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Looking to update my Klipsch Synergy series floorstanders. I feel like modern Klipsch quality is cheaper. Like the Synergy 12 sub blows their equivalent modern sub away in every way. I'm curious though, after reading this thread, the RP series and up really sound like the classic Klipsch I love. Is it worth an upgrade from the Synergy series? I get the Synergy line is old but they were very well built.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-10-2019, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSynergy View Post
Looking to update my Klipsch Synergy series floorstanders. I feel like modern Klipsch quality is cheaper. Like the Synergy 12 sub blows their equivalent modern sub away in every way. I'm curious though, after reading this thread, the RP series and up really sound like the classic Klipsch I love. Is it worth an upgrade from the Synergy series? I get the Synergy line is old but they were very well built.

I actually believe that the Synergy line was one of their lower lines, below Reference actually. Very harsh if I remember.

Updating to any of the newer lines should be a revelation, but may be hard to adjust to at first, may come off as warm or muted if you are used to a very bright sound.

As for the sub, I’m not too sure, how exactly does it blow their equivalent modern sub away?

post #11 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I should probably mention I can get the SVS speakers for close to half off.

Does that change any of the recommendations?
post #12 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try the Ultras. Free to return.

post #13 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Quote:

I actually believe that the Synergy line was one of their lower lines, below Reference actually. Very harsh if I remember.

Updating to any of the newer lines should be a revelation, but may be hard to adjust to at first, may come off as warm or muted if you are used to a very bright sound.

As for the sub, I’m not too sure, how exactly does it blow their equivalent modern sub away?
The sub was more powerful and less boomy. I exaggerated, but had 2 of the modern equivalent (forget the name). I was reading last night that the Synergy line was replaced by the reference line, in fact the specs of the F3 aren't far off. I definitely want to move away from the bright sound after all these years.

The RP series pretty good? My buddy years ago was telling me I should go Polk next time due to the 3 ported towers having better midrange than Klipsch's 2 port towers. Been ages since I shopped speakers, but I got a PSA 15V last June , and now with my new Denon X3500H, I want to finally upgrade my towers and with a matching center. Even thinking about getting rid of these quintet 5s as satellites, to get some bookshelf types and maybe even get them on some stands since the speakers are quite close on the side tables next to each side of the couch. Not an ideal room tbh.
post #14 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The sub was more powerful and less boomy. I exaggerated, but had 2 of the modern equivalent (forget the name). I was reading last night that the Synergy line was replaced by the reference line, in fact the specs of the F3 aren't far off. I definitely want to move away from the bright sound after all these years.

The RP series pretty good? My buddy years ago was telling me I should go Polk next time due to the 3 ported towers having better midrange than Klipsch's 2 port towers. Been ages since I shopped speakers, but I got a PSA 15V last June , and now with my new Denon X3500H, I want to finally upgrade my towers and with a matching center. Even thinking about getting rid of these quintet 5s as satellites, to get some bookshelf types and maybe even get them on some stands since the speakers are quite close on the side tables next to each side of the couch. Not an ideal room tbh.
If Polk interests you, the S55 is said to be a pretty good speaker. Pair with S15s for surrounds.

post #15 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Midbass is not determined by ports....

I would take the RP over the Polk.

The matching center for the Klipsch is also better than Polk’s matching center, so that can factor in.

post #16 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3599 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
To hear what you are missing, go do some listening sessions. Listen to Polk, KEF, ELAC, B&W, Golden Ear, Martin Logan, and anything else you can find to demo. Bring along a wide variety of well-known music, equalize the volume for each new speaker (some speakers are more efficient than others) then just listen. Take a few notes about what you hear as you are listening. Get a feel for what is available and what it costs. Never buy on first listen (i.e. impulse), as that is almost always a mistake. Narrow it down to a couple of options and listen again at length. Take one or two options home and return the loser.

Bear in mind that those Klipsch have trained your ears to expect a certain kind of sound signature. New speakers will be a shock, initially, but let your ears get used to the change before rejecting the new sound.

There are also internet only options, which we can recommend, but you need to give us your criteria, and listening is the only way for you to deduce what it is you are looking for.

And one more. For $650 a pair for what I and many others thought as the best sound at AXPONA 2019 and the cheapest at AXPONA. I've now got a week on them. Long wait, but well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRS 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2579392   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRS 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2579394  
post #17 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
And one more. For $650 a pair for what I and many others thought as the best sound at AXPONA 2019 and the cheapest at AXPONA. I've now got a week on them. Long wait, but well worth it.
Waiting on your full report ...

post #18 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3599 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Waiting on your full report ...

Most of my thoughts so far are https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...hread-208.html in the Magnepan thread.

In fact, I haven't moved them at all since I first placed them. True, I'm pretty good at 'guessing' where these need to be so that's been it, I've just been listening to music. I've always thought as have many others, that there's a break in period with these so I wasn't planning any serious comparisons yet. I've only had these for a week, but they've been on at least 18 hours per day.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 06-12-2019 at 11:40 PM.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-13-2019, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:

I could be wrong, but I think the Synergy line became the Reference line.
post #20 of 26 Old 06-13-2019, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post

Yeah, looking back I believe it was the Icon line that I was thinking of. I could also be wrong on that.

post #21 of 26 Old 06-13-2019, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, looking back I believe it was the Icon line that I was thinking of. I could also be wrong on that.
Eh, now I'm not sure, and I don't have time to double check, off to work.
post #22 of 26 Old 06-13-2019, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Eh, now I'm not sure, and I don't have time to double check, off to work.

It may be worth to note that as they update their R line it gets less and less harsh as seen with their latest Reference offering. So I think my statement about the Synergy being harsher than old model R and especially new model R could still be correct. Enjoy work!
drh3b likes this.

post #23 of 26 Old 06-13-2019, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3180 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
I upgraded my klipsch to focal. very happy. I really like klipsch for movies. still use them for surrounds. always make me jump out of my chair with gunshots, explosions...or maybe thats my ptsd.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #24 of 26 Old 06-14-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
I had the synergy line prior to owning my RF82, RF63, and RF7II'S..... obviously a downgrade but certainly not harsh and they absolutely did not "become" the Reference line. Both lines were out at the same time.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch R5800 7.2 Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #25 of 26 Old 06-14-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
I had the synergy line prior to owning my RF82, RF63, and RF7II'S..... obviously a downgrade but certainly not harsh and they absolutely did not "become" the Reference line. Both lines were out at the same time.
I mean the new Reference line. The RF line(Reference) were replaced with the RP (Reference Premier) line, and the downgrade line became the R (Reference) line. Don't recall if it was the Synergy or Icon line that became the newer R line.

RF82 II>RP280f>RP8000f

Denon AVR-X4300H (2nd try), Emotiva XPA-3 Gen3, A-5175
Klipsch RP-280f LR & SR, RP-450c, RP-260f SB, pending Velodyne Deco Atmos
Rythmik F18 x 2
OPPO UDP-203, HTPC, TiVo Roamio, Adequate Samsung 4k
Turn Down For What!?
post #26 of 26 Old 06-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I mean the new Reference line. The RF line(Reference) were replaced with the RP (Reference Premier) line, and the downgrade line became the R (Reference) line. Don't recall if it was the Synergy or Icon line that became the newer R line.

RF82 II>RP280f>RP8000f
ahhhh ok I am following you now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page