Help choosing center to go w/ Advent Maestro's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 2 Post By zieglj01
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-08-2019, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
swim2lakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help choosing center to go w/ Advent Maestro's

Greetings audio geeks:

So I am more audio, my husband is Movies/TV..

I built our system around my old Advent Maestro's which were the best I could afford when I bought them.. not the brightest speakers, but I didn't want that annoying overly bright sound. I listen to everything from Classical to Zeppelin. I am sure that now I would choose something skinnier and more efficient. I do like bass that is not compromised and maybe I am old school, and am not an engineer, but I still believe in the size of the box.

Small house, fairly large living room ( 14 X 16).
Both of us are disabled, so budget is everything.

I am endlessly frustrated when we watch movies with this setup, and I am always futzing with the options. I swear I can't hear. My audio guy tells me that this is due to how the sound is engineered. I have turned up the center speaker, and turned on dynamic compression

Here is my setup:
  • Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver - annoyingly complex. Miss the old days.
  • Advent Maesto's as fronts
  • JBL bookshelves rear
  • No sub ( don't care if the explosions rock the house)
  • Center: Klipsh KV2

I have the opportunity to change to a Boston Acoustic VR-MC center channel. Would that help? I know enough to know I need something that will work with, or at least not fight with what I have.

My husband would like me to get rid of all of it and go with a sound bar. That. Is. Not. Going. To. Happen. ( He hates the real estate eaten by my speakers)

THOUGHTS ????

The other change I am considering WOULD make for more marital bliss. The JBL rears are too low ( up about 8" off the floor on one side.. at hearing level on the other) , too close to the sofa ( right next to it on one side) and and I will admit always in the way. I am considering sacrificing them for in ceiling speakers. Thoughts?

EDIT: Photos added. I sit 13' away from the TV.. Husband sits either the other end of the sofa or where you see him.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3953.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	2577726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3952.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	2577728  

Last edited by swim2lakes; 06-08-2019 at 04:56 PM.
swim2lakes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 06-08-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,798
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2lakes View Post
Greetings audio geeks:

So I am more audio, my husband is Movies/TV..

I built our system around my old Advent Maestro's which were the best I could afford when I bought them.. not the brightest speakers, but I didn't want that annoying overly bright sound. I listen to everything from Classical to Zeppelin. I am sure that now I would choose something skinnier and more efficient. I do like bass that is not compromised and maybe I am old school, and am not an engineer, but I still believe in the size of the box.

Small house, fairly large living room ( 14 X 16).
Both of us are disabled, so budget is everything.

I am endlessly frustrated when we watch movies with this setup, and I am always futzing with the options. I swear I can't hear. My audio guy tells me that this is due to how the sound is engineered. I have turned up the center speaker, and turned on dynamic compression

Here is my setup:
  • Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver - annoyingly complex. Miss the old days.
  • Advent Maesto's as fronts
  • JBL bookshelves rear
  • No sub ( don't care if the explosions rock the house)
  • Center: Klipsh KV2

I have the opportunity to change to a Boston Acoustic VR-MC center channel. Would that help? I know enough to know I need something that will work with, or at least not fight with what I have.

My husband would like me to get rid of all of it and go with a sound bar. That. Is. Not. Going. To. Happen. ( He hates the real estate eaten by my speakers)

THOUGHTS ????

The other change I am considering WOULD make for more marital bliss. The JBL rears are too low ( up about 8" off the floor on one side.. at hearing level on the other) , too close to the sofa ( right next to it on one side) and and I will admit always in the way. I am considering sacrificing them for in ceiling speakers. Thoughts?

Thanks!
How is the center channel placed? On top of the cabinet, in a cubby hole, bottom shelf, pushed back against the wall?
How far back is the seating?

The questions are simply to try to rule out a possible placement issue that could easily be fixed before throwing money at it.


A few pics of the front and surrounds would be very helpful.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #3 of 19 Old 06-08-2019, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
swim2lakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
How is the center channel placed? On top of the cabinet, in a cubby hole, bottom shelf, pushed back against the wall?
How far back is the seating?

The questions are simply to try to rule out a possible placement issue that could easily be fixed before throwing money at it.


A few pics of the front and surrounds would be very helpful.
Pase 22:

Thanks!

Edited my post, and Attached photos.
I sit 13' away from the TV ( see my sneakers!)
THe entertainment center is very deep. ( From Craigslist,.). It was meant for a projection TV. The center, as you should be able to see ( I circled it), is directly below the TV, right about ear level.

Last edited by swim2lakes; 06-08-2019 at 02:51 PM.
swim2lakes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 06-08-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,798
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2lakes View Post
Pase 22:

Thanks!

Edited my post, and Attached photos.
I sit 13' away from the TV ( see my sneakers!)
THe entertainment center is very deep. ( From Craigslist,.). It was meant for a projection TV. The center, as you should be able to see ( I circled it), is directly below the TV, right about ear level.
The center is properly placed so getting a better one with larger drivers would help with dialogue clarity. The surrounds would benefit from being placed higher up. If that's not acceptable aesthetically going in ceiling, though not most ideal would still be better than where they are now. A sub isn't just about bone shattering effects, it will add more depth and would relieve your speakers from having to play full range which in turn will help with clarity. A smallish sealed sub placed beside the couch would be plenty. In the meantime, try pulling your mains forward as far as you can get away with. This will also help clear things up.

I recommend only upgrading the center and adding a sub which will make a big difference. If still not 100% satisfied, consider upgrading the mains. Without knowing your budget, here are some center and sub options.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CSI...-A6-Black.html
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-c1
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...specifications
https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-speedwoofer-10s/

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

Last edited by pase22; 06-08-2019 at 03:32 PM.
pase22 is online now  
post #5 of 19 Old 06-08-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
swim2lakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ray Guy and Pase22 answer

?? How do I tag people here??

I managed to screw up my original post and ask the question TWICE.

I can't seem to delete the other one, and RayGuy answered as well with some thoughts.
I appreciate all the insights.

. Ray guy recommended the emotiva if I could *stand how it looked* hahah

Yes, *I* listen to music on 2 channel, unless it is "background" music and there are people over. Then I go to 7 channel. No one is REALLY listening anyhow.

I will add a photo of the current way I have the speakers set up. Started with the YPAO and then adjusted the center UP.

FUNNY.. yes, I keep maneuvering the Advents forward, and DH keeps pushing them back ( it is the runway from our front door.. but still

I am going to have to rethink the surrounds for sure.

(DH once came home with some nice small white psb's to mount higher up, but I hijacked them for the kitchen. They were a perfect fit, and I thought overkill for the surrounds. I HATE it when he try to buy me audio equipment, OR, even worse when he gives my equipment to Salvation Army i.e my turntable, my CD player, etc, old Onkyo receiver. I don't buy TV's.. let me deal with this, please!).

Interesting advice about a sub. Hmmm.... that will be another marital conflict.. LOL. I want to ADD audio, and he wants to GET RID of and go to the dreaded sound bar. HE DOES do the vacuuming...

But back to the center speaker question. I wasn't shopping, but have an offer came my way for this Bos Acoustic VR-MC at a sweet price... but Since neither RayGuy nor you (Pase22) mentioned it, I am presuming that this was the polite way of telling me to not go that way?.. again, you BOTH mentioned the Airmotiv

Last edited by swim2lakes; 06-08-2019 at 05:26 PM.
swim2lakes is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 06-08-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,373
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Here's my post from the other thread:

Quote:
Try the Emotiva center, if you can stand the looks. If not (can't blame you, it's both big and ugly), you might consider the RSL CG23. If you listen to your music as 2 channel stereo, you will keep the nice Advent sound for music, but you need more clarity for HT. That requires a different kind of sound from your center channel. Either of the above will give you that, without being hard on your ears.

Also, dialog clarity can be ruined by a lot of things. For instance, if the speaker is shoved inside a cabinet of some sort. If on top of a piece of furniture, it needs to slightly overhang the front of that furniture, not shoved all the way back against the wall. Lots of hard surfaces make for lots of reflections, which garble the sound. If the room is all glass, wood, tile, leather, that is a recipe of lots of echo, and that is anathema to good sound. If those Advents are shoved into corners or against a back wall, pull them out and give them some space to breathe.

The receiver settings can also play a part, if the sub crossover is improperly set, adding too much mid-bass to the male voice. If the sub is not well-placed, or the gain too high, it can cause boominess. Even the seating position can sometimes ruin the sound you hear (against a wall, for instance). All these things can destroy any hope of easily hearing the dialog.

A better center channel speaker can help a lot, but it may not be the only change necessary to achieve your goal.
Yes. neither of us mentioned it for a reason. Although it will be more to your taste, and closer to the sound signature of the Advents, it is not what you need for good dialog recognition. Seeing the picture, you have a number of the issues I delineated above. Are the art pieces on the wall behind the couch glass covered? If so, removing and replacing with soft art would be very beneficial. Also, I would move the entire assembly to the left by 8-12 inches, so you can pull the speakers out and not get in the walkway.

BTW, you must really love this guy. If my S.O. took my stuff to the Goodwill without my permission, there would be hell to pay and legal action to follow.

This would involve her stuff on the front lawn with the following sign:


It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-08-2019 at 08:41 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #7 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
swim2lakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not changing husbands

Thanks for all this help.


I guess I will forego the sweet deal on the beautiful Bos. Ac center, and take much of the generous advice given herein. ( I brought the BA center home on contingency from a store going out of business- and since I didn't return it w/in 24 hours it might already be mine...)

Since I am unwilling to change husbands, I have to be mindful of what I do. ( Am I a lone female in this boy's club here??)
  • I immediately pulled forward the mains ( and will watch them creep back via DH )
  • I am going to get a different center, one recommended here ( but NOT the airmotiv-C1 which IS hideous IMO)
  • Going to do something immediately to replace the JBL rears
  • re-considering my refusal to get a sub..

Ack.. the sub issue is one that I fear. I understand that crossover, placement, etc are important and a sub could degrade sound if I am not careful . That is above my knowledge level/pay grade. I hope the folks here will help me. Price is VERY important

FYI I have attached a photo of how I currently have the receiver set up wrt levels. As I said, dynamic compression is on.. so I don't think there is anymore I can do with what I have, except some placement changes.

The paintings behind the sofa do not have glass. Oil on canvas ( done by my amateur 91 y.o. mom who took up the hobby just a few years ago). Room is mostly soft. Picture window has insulated curtains.

And yes, I was upset AF when he "donated" *MY* "stuff", and moved my LP's and CD's out of the room.
OTOH, he now has a terminal diagnosis, and I am disabled, so we have bigger issues. But since our world is so much smaller, quality of life ( sound, textures, thread count, etc), matters and that is how I justify this frivolity/indulgence.

Thanks again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Here's my post from the other thread:



Yes. neither of us mentioned it for a reason. Although it will be more to your taste, and closer to the sound signature of the Advents, it is not what you need for good dialog recognition. Seeing the picture, you have a number of the issues I delineated above. Are the art pieces on the wall behind the couch glass covered? If so, removing and replacing with soft art would be very beneficial. Also, I would move the entire assembly to the left by 8-12 inches, so you can pull the speakers out and not get in the walkway.

BTW, you must really love this guy. If my S.O. took my stuff to the Goodwill without my permission, there would be hell to pay and legal action to follow.

This would involve her stuff on the front lawn with the following sign:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3954.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2577932  
swim2lakes is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,150
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 2875
NHT C-LCR
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-C-LCR-Cen...gateway&sr=8-4

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #9 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,798
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2lakes View Post
Thanks for all this help.


I guess I will forego the sweet deal on the beautiful Bos. Ac center, and take much of the generous advice given herein. ( I brought the BA center home on contingency from a store going out of business- and since I didn't return it w/in 24 hours it might already be mine...)

Since I am unwilling to change husbands, I have to be mindful of what I do. ( Am I a lone female in this boy's club here??)
  • I immediately pulled forward the mains ( and will watch them creep back via DH )
  • I am going to get a different center, one recommended here ( but NOT the airmotiv-C1 which IS hideous IMO)
  • Going to do something immediately to replace the JBL rears
  • re-considering my refusal to get a sub..

Ack.. the sub issue is one that I fear. I understand that crossover, placement, etc are important and a sub could degrade sound if I am not careful . That is above my knowledge level/pay grade. I hope the folks here will help me. Price is VERY important

FYI I have attached a photo of how I currently have the receiver set up wrt levels. As I said, dynamic compression is on.. so I don't think there is anymore I can do with what I have, except some placement changes.

The paintings behind the sofa do not have glass. Oil on canvas ( done by my amateur 91 y.o. mom who took up the hobby just a few years ago). Room is mostly soft. Picture window has insulated curtains.

And yes, I was upset AF when he "donated" *MY* "stuff", and moved my LP's and CD's out of the room.
OTOH, he now has a terminal diagnosis, and I am disabled, so we have bigger issues. But since our world is so much smaller, quality of life ( sound, textures, thread count, etc), matters and that is how I justify this frivolity/indulgence.

Thanks again!!!
Try increasing the center level by a few dbs, but be careful not to overpower the mains. You can also try the dialogue adjustment or lift feature in the AVR menu to help with dialogue clarity. The sub can be hidden beside or behind the sofa so your husband won't trip over it or have it in his way. We will gladly guide you through setting up the sub properly should you decide to add one which I think will be very beneficial.


I don't know if you're the only female on the forum, but don't think we have very many. It's a refreshing change as it's usually the wives who restrict their husbands with audio equipment.
swim2lakes likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #10 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,373
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2lakes View Post
Thanks for all this help.


I guess I will forego the sweet deal on the beautiful Bos. Ac center, and take much of the generous advice given herein. ( I brought the BA center home on contingency from a store going out of business- and since I didn't return it w/in 24 hours it might already be mine...)

Since I am unwilling to change husbands, I have to be mindful of what I do. ( Am I a lone female in this boy's club here??)
  • I immediately pulled forward the mains ( and will watch them creep back via DH )
  • I am going to get a different center, one recommended here ( but NOT the airmotiv-C1 which IS hideous IMO)
  • Going to do something immediately to replace the JBL rears
  • re-considering my refusal to get a sub..

Ack.. the sub issue is one that I fear. I understand that crossover, placement, etc are important and a sub could degrade sound if I am not careful . That is above my knowledge level/pay grade. I hope the folks here will help me. Price is VERY important

FYI I have attached a photo of how I currently have the receiver set up wrt levels. As I said, dynamic compression is on.. so I don't think there is anymore I can do with what I have, except some placement changes.

The paintings behind the sofa do not have glass. Oil on canvas ( done by my amateur 91 y.o. mom who took up the hobby just a few years ago). Room is mostly soft. Picture window has insulated curtains.

And yes, I was upset AF when he "donated" *MY* "stuff", and moved my LP's and CD's out of the room.
OTOH, he now has a terminal diagnosis, and I am disabled, so we have bigger issues. But since our world is so much smaller, quality of life ( sound, textures, thread count, etc), matters and that is how I justify this frivolity/indulgence.

Thanks again!!!
Hardly a frivolity or indulgence. It's a basic necessity of life! Ask anyone here!

How married are you to the Advents? If you get a sub, you could move them to the back as surrounds and get small bookshelf or narrow towers for your front stage, giving you the ability to move them forward without putting them in the walkway. Having the face of your front speaker in front of the front of that furniture will give substantial benefits to your listening. Do what you have to, to accomplish that.

As to the sub, this has been getting good reviews here, and is a bargain at it's current price. There are better subs, but they start at $400 and go up (some way up) from there.

https://www.jbl.com/studio-5-series/SUB+550P.html

Not said yet, but a sub can also be a huge benefit, placed and tuned properly, especially with your current speakers shoved up against the intersection of the wall and side of the furniture (a recipe for muddy bass, among other audible nasties).

If you own the BA speaker now, you could try it out and see what you get. It will certainly be an upgrade over the K. Of course, if you don't keep it, selling an unopened box may get you a couple of extra dollars on the secondary market.

The center channel resides in a cubby-hole, so no rear-ported centers, only sealed or front ported on your list of possibles (size clearly an issue, as well). Pull the center all way to the front of the cabined, such that the front slightly overhangs the front lip of the furniture. The center should have small rubber feet to decouple it from the furniture, as well.

What do you envision for the rear speakers? Placement? Are you selling the current speakers?

Oh, and although you are not alone here, being of the female gender is seen rarely in these parts. I often wonder how many folks here ARE female, but don't identify themselves as such, for whatever reason.

Your Mom is talented. Does she have any pumpkins?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-11-2019 at 01:46 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #11 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,150
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 2875
The Boston VR MC center is on the higher-end side ..... hook it up and test it
RayGuy and spyboy like this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #12 of 19 Old 06-10-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
swim2lakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dudes!!
( tired of me yet?)
  • The BA VR MC is not new in box, it is "used without box" LOL.
  • Center pulled forward, mains pulled forward, DH not happy with that. Dont want to move mains to rear, because they are used by me for 2 channel audio
  • VR MC hooked up for testing.
  • If I don't already inadvertently own the BA, I have to return it tomorrow.
  • If store going out of business ( see below) has anything left, I am going to see what he has for a sub and rears. If he has a sub, I will be back for instructions.
We have an eclectic stereo store- that deals in new, used and repairs, that is sadly going out of business, THIS WEEK. ( i.e there is an Edison cylinder, and lots of other cool toys that I have neither room nor $$ for)
THis has been great fun, given that our lives are a pile of rubble right now.



I was thinking of my history with audio equipment during insomnia last night ( all the way back to my first transistor radio from the Sunoco station where my dad bought gas). Maybe I will put it in my profile, since women here seem to be rare.


and yeah, mom is talented. Self taught in her 70's. Never had a show. Has a townhouse full of old masters' reproductions, flowers, vegetables, landscapes, wildlife, portraits, etc. AND YES, Including a watercolor 5 X 7 pumpkin, but it is a bit "cute"
swim2lakes is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 06-10-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,373
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Put the BA into use, re-run Audyssey (or turn it off), and give it a listen. If it makes enough of an improvement, you're home free! If not, the search continues.

... and yeah, 5x7 is a bit too cute.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #14 of 19 Old 06-11-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,798
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2lakes View Post
Dudes!!
( tired of me yet?)
  • The BA VR MC is not new in box, it is "used without box" LOL.
  • Center pulled forward, mains pulled forward, DH not happy with that. Dont want to move mains to rear, because they are used by me for 2 channel audio
  • VR MC hooked up for testing.
  • If I don't already inadvertently own the BA, I have to return it tomorrow.
  • If store going out of business ( see below) has anything left, I am going to see what he has for a sub and rears. If he has a sub, I will be back for instructions.
We have an eclectic stereo store- that deals in new, used and repairs, that is sadly going out of business, THIS WEEK. ( i.e there is an Edison cylinder, and lots of other cool toys that I have neither room nor $$ for)
THis has been great fun, given that our lives are a pile of rubble right now.



I was thinking of my history with audio equipment during insomnia last night ( all the way back to my first transistor radio from the Sunoco station where my dad bought gas). Maybe I will put it in my profile, since women here seem to be rare.


and yeah, mom is talented. Self taught in her 70's. Never had a show. Has a townhouse full of old masters' reproductions, flowers, vegetables, landscapes, wildlife, portraits, etc. AND YES, Including a watercolor 5 X 7 pumpkin, but it is a bit "cute"
No! We're not tired of you yet. At least I'm not.

Let us know how the center experiment works out. Hopefully he has decent subs left and we'll gladly advise you on how to set it up.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #15 of 19 Old 06-16-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
swim2lakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Helpful Dudes:

Here's my update.

So I took a lot of advice, and didn't take some.
My beloved stereo store that had vintage, antique, used and new high end has officially gone out of business.

DH has been back in hospital, and is pretty sick, so this is my distraction.

Sound is now surprisingly, greatly improved.

I am sure none of the sound signatures match, but budget is pretty much non-existent, and I am building this as best I can. Remember, I was pretty much at the mercy at what was available in a true "going out of business sale"

Here is what has occurred
  • 0th: Moved the fronts forward. That was surprisingly helpful. The vacuum fairy is not happy.
  • 1st: DH had been feeding all the components through the TV and then digital out to the receiver. Guess what. Put on "straight" and discovered His WalMart Samsung TV was only sending out two channels. OMFG. So the receiver was building the surround. That has been fixed.
  • 2nd. CENTER: Hooked up the ( used) BA VR-MC and it made a HUGE difference- had to turn down the center!! I can hear dialog an no longer resort to to closed captioning.
  • 3rd. REAR: Picked up some Klipsh R14S's to replace the JBL bookshelves. They are not yet wall mounted, but are hooked up. OMFG. What a difference.
  • 4th. No sub. I don't know if all the bass is going to my Maestro's, but it has to be "good enough" for now.


QUESTION:
Where to mount the rears.. On the side wall directly across from the sofa or behind the sofa. How high?
Panoramic photo attached.

Finally, time to get rid of some things.
Are the following things now boat anchors to go to Salvation Army or do they have any resale value:
I need to keep ONE or maybe TWO sets of speakers for the basement. which of the following stays and goes. M't soy feeling is to get rid of the RtR's. The sound is never very satisfying, but it might be a placement issue.
0. Is the Klipsh KV2 now a boat anchor?
1. JBL Bookshelves
2. RtR's - medium size. About the size of a baby advent.
3. Kenwood "Digital" floor speakers- these were given to me. I am guessing part of an "all in one" component system back in the day.

Thanks all!!!
MUCH MUCH happier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4016.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2580710  
swim2lakes is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 06-16-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,373
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Positioning the surrounds is problematic. I would suggest that you go with a side wall positioning, high up and angled a bit downward and perhaps a touch forward (that picture hanging on the side wall on the left will just have to go). They need to be high enough that you and the hubby do not bump your heads as you saunter down the hallway. If you can get the couch off the back wall by 3 or 4 feet, you could go with stand mounting or back wall mounting, but I suspect the hubby would object to that arrangement.

To be sure the bass is getting to the L&R speakers, verify that they are set to "Large" and Sub is set to "Off".

As to which speakers to keep, just take them all down to the basement, hook them up a pair at a time, listen and choose to keep the one you like best. Sell the others or give to nieces or nephews, or whomever...

Same for the Klipsch. Boat anchor is probably the best use, but somebody will buy it 'cause of the name.

Congrats on simplifying and improving the system. Seems to me you have done the most with the least $. Smart!

Oh, and there IS a Vacuum Fairy:


It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-16-2019 at 01:42 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #17 of 19 Old 06-16-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
swim2lakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks!

RayGuy:

well, DH IS coming around; even he agrees things sound better.

Are you aware that The Klipsh R14S are actually kind of semi-circles? ( see photo) as I was really hoping to put them on the back wall. Gonna be a challenge to get him agree to the side walls ( but that painting could go..). I had concern that the weird directionality/ semicircle is a gimmick that would just sound BAAAD.. but they already sound So Much Better than what we had just sitting now by the sofa awaiting their new locale.

I STILL can't believe that the sound was going from TV-> receiver instead of the reverse. I dont know WHEN he switched THAT all around.

Yeah, the Advents are set to Large.. and we just ran YPAO and I did not have to turn up the center this time. I still prefer dynamic compression turned on for movies.

I SO appreciate all the advice and help here. I DID shop for some of the recommendations, but in the end I just had to go with the local sale. Next upgrade will be a sub, but THAT WILL upset the vacuum fairy. He already hates the large floor standing speakers.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!! to RayGuy, Pase22 and the boys club!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 7.34.40 PM.png
Views:	6
Size:	629.9 KB
ID:	2580956  
swim2lakes is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,373
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2lakes View Post
RayGuy:

well, DH IS coming around; even he agrees things sound better.

Are you aware that The Klipsh R14S are actually kind of semi-circles? ( see photo) as I was really hoping to put them on the back wall. Gonna be a challenge to get him agree to the side walls ( but that painting could go..). I had concern that the weird directionality/ semicircle is a gimmick that would just sound BAAAD.. but they already sound So Much Better than what we had just sitting now by the sofa awaiting their new locale.

I STILL can't believe that the sound was going from TV-> receiver instead of the reverse. I dont know WHEN he switched THAT all around.

Yeah, the Advents are set to Large.. and we just ran YPAO and I did not have to turn up the center this time. I still prefer dynamic compression turned on for movies.

I SO appreciate all the advice and help here. I DID shop for some of the recommendations, but in the end I just had to go with the local sale. Next upgrade will be a sub, but THAT WILL upset the vacuum fairy. He already hates the large floor standing speakers.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!! to RayGuy, Pase22 and the boys club!
Hey, nothing is set in stone here. Just try out various positions and let your ears decide which is best! A bit above seated ear level on the back wall may work out, just don't want that "speaker in your ear" feeling if sitting in front of the speakers (although that may not be the case, given their design).

Glad to hear DH has made it back to the abode! Hospitals suck! Enjoy the new sounds!


It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-16-2019 at 09:49 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #19 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,798
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2lakes View Post
RayGuy:

well, DH IS coming around; even he agrees things sound better.

Are you aware that The Klipsh R14S are actually kind of semi-circles? ( see photo) as I was really hoping to put them on the back wall. Gonna be a challenge to get him agree to the side walls ( but that painting could go..). I had concern that the weird directionality/ semicircle is a gimmick that would just sound BAAAD.. but they already sound So Much Better than what we had just sitting now by the sofa awaiting their new locale.

I STILL can't believe that the sound was going from TV-> receiver instead of the reverse. I dont know WHEN he switched THAT all around.

Yeah, the Advents are set to Large.. and we just ran YPAO and I did not have to turn up the center this time. I still prefer dynamic compression turned on for movies.

I SO appreciate all the advice and help here. I DID shop for some of the recommendations, but in the end I just had to go with the local sale. Next upgrade will be a sub, but THAT WILL upset the vacuum fairy. He already hates the large floor standing speakers.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!! to RayGuy, Pase22 and the boys club!
When you're ready for the next round of upgrades, You can consider downsizing the mains to a nice set of bookshelf with flexible mounts flanking the TV. The vacuum fairy would be pleased and you'll gain some floor space. You will however need a sub if you go that route.

For the surrounds, I'll have to agree with Ray's suggestion to place them higher up on the side wall. If DH objects to that placement option, you could put them on the back wall, but would likely need to pull the couch up.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off