Should I upgrade my 25-yr old speakers or get a better sub(s) first? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
  • 2 Post By adam2434
  • 1 Post By happygodavid
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 2 Post By adam2434
  • 1 Post By Lp85253
  • 2 Post By zieglj01
  • 2 Post By pase22
  • 2 Post By Panson
  • 1 Post By happygodavid
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Soulburner
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Should I upgrade my 25-yr old speakers or get a better sub(s) first?

I have Infinity RS speakers. 7.1. RS625 towers, RS Center, RS525 towers for side surrounds, and RS325 for the surround backs. I’ve got a small RS sub (10”).
I’m leaning toward Kef R3, R2C, and R8a’s to save space and “upgrade” to something newer. The Infinities sound fantastic, but I heard the R series a few months ago (next to B&W, DefTech, ML, etc.), and I just fell in love.
Note: I live in a townhouse, so I can’t go huge on bass. Was leaning toward a pair of SVS SB2000/3000. Or spring for a Rel S3/5. I’d love to get it all, but will have to be in stages.
Also, I have a friend who is giving me an employee discount, and he’s leaving his job soon, so I’m just trying to figure out which route to go and save some cash first.
happygodavid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Are the foam woofer surrounds still intact?

I had some Infinity Sterling Series 3-way speakers from the same era and using the same drivers in my basement gym, then garage for a couple years. The foam woofer and midrange surrounds completely disintegrated a few years ago.

If the surrrounds are still intact, I can't image that they will be ok much longer.

Might be a consideration for upgrading to new speakers...


-
Lp85253 and happygodavid like this.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 6
The foam surrounds are indeed intact. I replaced them all about 5 years ago.
Lp85253 likes this.
happygodavid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,790
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2565
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygodavid View Post
I have Infinity RS speakers. 7.1. RS625 towers, RS Center, RS525 towers for side surrounds, and RS325 for the surround backs. I’ve got a small RS sub (10”).
I’m leaning toward Kef R3, R2C, and R8a’s to save space and “upgrade” to something newer. The Infinities sound fantastic, but I heard the R series a few months ago (next to B&W, DefTech, ML, etc.), and I just fell in love.
Note: I live in a townhouse, so I can’t go huge on bass. Was leaning toward a pair of SVS SB2000/3000. Or spring for a Rel S3/5. I’d love to get it all, but will have to be in stages.
Also, I have a friend who is giving me an employee discount, and he’s leaving his job soon, so I’m just trying to figure out which route to go and save some cash first.
If you're getting a good deal and you've already heard and liked the Kef's, I think you should go for it. Get the subs later. Alternatively, you can get the front 3 (R3'S & R2C) and get one SB-300 sub now. You can get some Q150's for surround and 2nd SB-300 sub later.
happygodavid likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygodavid View Post
The foam surrounds are indeed intact. I replaced them all about 5 years ago.
Cool, good to know.

You fell in love with the KEF's (so you know they will be a major upgrade) and you can get a good discount...I say go for it!

You could then sell your current speakers and put the proceeds towards the funds for a couple subs down the road.

Since you can't go crazy on bass, a pair of good 10" subs in the $400-500 range like the RSL Speedwoofer, Hsu VTF-1, or Monoprice 10" THX could fit the bill.



-
Lp85253 and happygodavid like this.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.

Last edited by adam2434; 06-09-2019 at 09:46 AM.
adam2434 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
i agree here, you have the right path mapped out, get the kefs , then go into savings mode for the subs..jmo.. best of luck, enjoy...
happygodavid likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,141
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Go KEF
happygodavid and Lp85253 like this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thanks for all the replies, folks! Really appreciate it. You’ve convinced me. Kef it is. Now to decide on how many to get... But for sure LCR. I may hang on to the RS325s for surrounds and just end up with 5.2.4 eventually.
happygodavid is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,790
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2565
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygodavid View Post
Thanks for all the replies, folks! Really appreciate it. You’ve convinced me. Kef it is. Now to decide on how many to get... But for sure LCR. I may hang on to the RS325s for surrounds and just end up with 5.2.4 eventually.
I suggest doing the front three and a sub now. Your current speakers will be just fine for surround duty. When the time comes to upgrade the surrounds, don't waste money on R8's. A pair of Q150's will be timbre matched and will fill the roll nicely. The Money would be better spent on subs or an external amp.
Lp85253 and happygodavid like this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygodavid View Post
I have Infinity RS speakers. 7.1. RS625 towers, RS Center, RS525 towers for side surrounds, and RS325 for the surround backs. I’ve got a small RS sub (10”).
I’m leaning toward Kef R3, R2C, and R8a’s to save space and “upgrade” to something newer. The Infinities sound fantastic, but I heard the R series a few months ago (next to B&W, DefTech, ML, etc.), and I just fell in love.
Note: I live in a townhouse, so I can’t go huge on bass. Was leaning toward a pair of SVS SB2000/3000. Or spring for a Rel S3/5. I’d love to get it all, but will have to be in stages.
Also, I have a friend who is giving me an employee discount, and he’s leaving his job soon, so I’m just trying to figure out which route to go and save some cash first.
This was an easy one.
Lp85253 and happygodavid like this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
Panson is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 06-30-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Should I upgrade my 25-yr old speakers or get a better sub(s) first?

Thanks for everyone’s input here.

The update: right after I made this post, my wife and I found out we’re having a baby (our first; woohoo!), so that changed a few things. First, the budget went down a tad. Secondly, the HT is getting moved from the main floor to the basement so we can still use it without disturbing the kid. Thirdly, the friend giving me the discount got another job and put in his two weeks, so I had to move quickly.
Because we are moving the HT to the basement, I realized it would be pretty easy to run wiring for Atmos. So... I ended up keeping all the Infinitys, and I got 2 PB-1000 subs and 2 pairs of B&W CCM665 in-ceilings for a full 5.2.4 setup. I know I’ll eventually add and swap pieces here and there (I may get an amp in a few months to power my surround backs), and it was hard to pass on the discounted Kefs, but I think I’ll be happier having Atmos now, better bass, and saving up for Kefs (or something else) in the next... 5 years. I hear kids are expensive and that priorities change...
Anyhoo, for anyone who cares, just wanted to give an update and say thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Looking forward to installing all this stuff over the next couple of weeks!
Joshua Chmiel likes this.
happygodavid is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 06-30-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,364
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygodavid View Post
I have Infinity RS speakers. 7.1. RS625 towers, RS Center, RS525 towers for side surrounds, and RS325 for the surround backs. I’ve got a small RS sub (10”).
I’m leaning toward Kef R3, R2C, and R8a’s to save space and “upgrade” to something newer. The Infinities sound fantastic, but I heard the R series a few months ago (next to B&W, DefTech, ML, etc.), and I just fell in love.
Note: I live in a townhouse, so I can’t go huge on bass. Was leaning toward a pair of SVS SB2000/3000. Or spring for a Rel S3/5. I’d love to get it all, but will have to be in stages.
Also, I have a friend who is giving me an employee discount, and he’s leaving his job soon, so I’m just trying to figure out which route to go and save some cash first.
Did you hear the new KEF sub?

https://us.kef.com/subwoofers/ultra-...ered-10in.html

Might be a good choice for a townhouse and you can take advantage of the discount. Otherwise, maybe a sealed sub from Rythmik?
happygodavid likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 06-30-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,389
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8573 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygodavid View Post
Thanks for everyone’s input here.

The update: right after I made this post, my wife and I found out we’re having a baby (our first; woohoo!), so that changed a few things. First, the budget went down a tad. Secondly, the HT is getting moved from the main floor to the basement so we can still use it without disturbing the kid. Thirdly, the friend giving me the discount got another job and put in his two weeks, so I had to move quickly.
Because we are moving the HT to the basement, I realized it would be pretty easy to run wiring for Atmos. So... I ended up keeping all the Infinitys, and I got 2 PB-1000 subs and 2 pairs of B&W CCM665 in-ceilings for a full 5.2.4 setup. I know I’ll eventually add and swap pieces here and there (I may get an amp in a few months to power my surround backs), and it was hard to pass on the discounted Kefs, but I think I’ll be happier having Atmos now, better bass, and saving up for Kefs (or something else) in the next... 5 years. I hear kids are expensive and that priorities change...
Anyhoo, for anyone who cares, just wanted to give an update and say thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Looking forward to installing all this stuff over the next couple of weeks!
Congratulations on the baby.

Mine is now 34 and has a lot of my old gear!

Next time keep in mind you have the luxury of being less than 2 1/2 hours drive from Crutchfield in Charlottesville VA.
happygodavid likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 06-30-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
If you end up revisiting the speakers, I'm not sure the R3 is worth the money. By accounts of others, the R300 comes really close for $700 less. Heck, I see the R300 on eBay right now for $900. Since you have sub(s), that's what I'd go with.

R300 or step up to Buchardt S400.
happygodavid likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off