4 Surrounds (on Wall) - Budget $2k max - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By crg28
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By doctors11
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
4 Surrounds (on Wall) - Budget $2k max

Hello, I'm shopping for 4 On Wall surrounds and have a $2K MAX Budget....would like to stay closer to $1600. Please don't suggest in-walls as it is not an option for me.

Also prefer speakers that are at most 7" deep.....Only thing my limited research has found was the S16 from Revel. Any other suggestions?

Front 3 are Sierra Towers/Horizon w Raals. I have one row of 4 seats on a 15x24 room.

Thank you!!
Hetfieldjames likes this.
crg28 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,935
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
Hello, I'm shopping for 4 On Wall surrounds and have a $2K MAX Budget....would like to stay closer to $1600. Please don't suggest in-walls as it is not an option for me.



Also prefer speakers that are at most 7" deep.....Only thing my limited research has found was the S16 from Revel. Any other suggestions?



Front 3 are Sierra Towers/Horizon w Raals. I have one row of 4 seats on a 15x24 room.



Thank you!!
Why not stick with Ascend Acoustics? They he the 170s that are supposed to be very good.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #3 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Why not stick with Ascend Acoustics? They he the 170s that are supposed to be very good.
They are 10" deep...

I wish Ascend had a slimmer surround version of 6" or less in depth (very important to me) with the ability to match tweeter to the towers (not as important, but it would be nice)...
crg28 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Slightly over your budget but why not go with the Ascend Luna?
doctors11 is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Slightly over your budget but why not go with the Ascend Luna?
I really would like to....but I would be a few hundred over an already stretched budget....
crg28 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Slightly over your budget but why not go with the Ascend Luna?
And also the sensitivity on the Lunas are so much lower than the towers.....I know you can adjust the levels on a pre/pro, but ….either way....over my budget...
crg28 is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,553
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
The HTM200’s are fantastic speakers. Do not underestimate them for how inexpensive they are. They are better than the CBM170’s for surround duty if you ask Dave.
Soulburner likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #8 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Understood. How about the Martin Logan Motion. It's folded ribbon tweeter might be a good match for the Raal.

www.martinlogan.com/en/product/motion-4i
RayGuy likes this.
doctors11 is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
4 Surrounds (on Wall) - Budget $2k max

Check out the JBL 8320. They are 8.8” deep but are wedge shaped so they provide good clearance. You can get them for $500/pair and they are true theater speakers that can keep up well at reference levels.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,935
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
They are 10" deep...



I wish Ascend had a slimmer surround version of 6" or less in depth (very important to me) with the ability to match tweeter to the towers (not as important, but it would be nice)...
Oh wow they are that deep? I never looked but that pretty deep for smaller speakers.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #11 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
doctors11 is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,404
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked: 2355
Martin Logan or Golden Ear, both with the AMT, should be a reasonable match to the RAAL.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #13 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Arent all these options bipol/dipole speakers?

I was under the impression that Dolby ATMOS recommendations for Surrounds are for monopoles only?
crg28 is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,553
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
Arent all these options bipol/dipole speakers?



I was under the impression that Dolby ATMOS recommendations for Surrounds are for monopoles only?

Yeah, and since you only have a single row, dipoles and bipoles don’t really make sense.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #15 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Yeah you're probably right, so maybe take the Monitor Audio off the list. But I would think the Martin Logan should still be in contention.
doctors11 is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jdlynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Yeah, and since you only have a single row, dipoles and bipoles don’t really make sense.
Not necessarily. Bi-Poles can work well for Atmos systems. Sometimes, if your seating is near field to your surround speakers, bi-poles would be a better option.

Dolby only offers recommendations. There are no absolutes as everyone has different situations that require different solutions.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. ATI 6005, AT527NC, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears), Seaton Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Theater Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, three dedicated 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 surge protector at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
jdlynch is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 06-10-2019, 06:52 PM
Member
 
madrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
The HTM200’s are fantastic speakers. Do not underestimate them for how inexpensive they are. They are better than the CBM170’s for surround duty if you ask Dave.
Agreed. The HTM200s are excellent. I use them on-wall for my ATMOS F & R heights. I was also using them for L&R surrounds as well -- until I got my Towers a couple of weeks ago and moved my S2's to surround duty. The 200s blend really well with the Towers. Plus, they are under 7" deep and sealed -- so can flush mount to the wall. Initially, I hung mine that way using picture wire (using the HTM200's inserts/screws) and Ook hangars which worked very well. However, I did remount them using pivoting wall brackets so I could angle towards the MLP and give a bit more downward tilt.

Last edited by madrac; 06-10-2019 at 07:00 PM.
madrac is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 06-11-2019, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Yeah you're probably right, so maybe take the Monitor Audio off the list. But I would think the Martin Logan should still be in contention.
I thought they were also bipoles?
crg28 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 06-11-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
Agreed. The HTM200s are excellent. I use them on-wall for my ATMOS F & R heights. I was also using them for L&R surrounds as well -- until I got my Towers a couple of weeks ago and moved my S2's to surround duty. The 200s blend really well with the Towers. Plus, they are under 7" deep and sealed -- so can flush mount to the wall. Initially, I hung mine that way using picture wire (using the HTM200's inserts/screws) and Ook hangars which worked very well. However, I did remount them using pivoting wall brackets so I could angle towards the MLP and give a bit more downward tilt.
I could try to push for 4 x LUNAs to be used a surrounds, but isn't that a little overkill?
crg28 is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 06-11-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
Agreed. The HTM200s are excellent. I use them on-wall for my ATMOS F & R heights. I was also using them for L&R surrounds as well -- until I got my Towers a couple of weeks ago and moved my S2's to surround duty. The 200s blend really well with the Towers. Plus, they are under 7" deep and sealed -- so can flush mount to the wall. Initially, I hung mine that way using picture wire (using the HTM200's inserts/screws) and Ook hangars which worked very well. However, I did remount them using pivoting wall brackets so I could angle towards the MLP and give a bit more downward tilt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Not necessarily. Bi-Poles can work well for Atmos systems. Sometimes, if your seating is near field to your surround speakers, bi-poles would be a better option.

Dolby only offers recommendations. There are no absolutes as everyone has different situations that require different solutions.
True....My room is 24' x 16' wide with a single row of 4 seats that are 130" wide, so the distance is ok.
crg28 is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 06-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just read through the ML info again on their site and don't see anything about being dipole. Crutchfield sells them. Might be worth it to try them out knowing Crutchfield's liberal return policy.
doctors11 is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 06-11-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,553
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
I could try to push for 4 x LUNAs to be used a surrounds, but isn't that a little overkill?

Check this out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
Ideally, our Luna's would be the best choice but if they are out of budget, next best option is our HTM-200's...



If I had a choice between towers as fronts with HTM-200's as rears, compared to Sierra-2 as fronts with Luna's as rears -- go with Towers as fronts and the 200's. Besides, you can always and easily change to the Luna's for the surrounds anytime in the future.
Ascend is David Fabrikant himself.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #23 of 25 Old 06-17-2019, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Check this out:



Ascend is David Fabrikant himself.

Don't let Dina or Joe see this, they would say otherwise

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Ascend is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 06-30-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,136
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
Agreed. The HTM200s are excellent. I use them on-wall for my ATMOS F & R heights. I was also using them for L&R surrounds as well -- until I got my Towers a couple of weeks ago and moved my S2's to surround duty. The 200s blend really well with the Towers. Plus, they are under 7" deep and sealed -- so can flush mount to the wall. Initially, I hung mine that way using picture wire (using the HTM200's inserts/screws) and Ook hangars which worked very well. However, I did remount them using pivoting wall brackets so I could angle towards the MLP and give a bit more downward tilt.
@madrac could I see pictures of your setup?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #25 of 25 Old 06-30-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,136
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
I've been trying to narrow down my choices for some time, and also have a similar criteria of about a 7" protrusion. So far I am looking at the following:

Name, Extension, Arrangement, Price

Ascend HTM-200 SE, 70Hz, WTW (offset), $300/pair
HTD Level Three Surround, 60Hz, TW(x2), $429/pair
Emotiva E2 Surround, 65Hz, TWT, $400/pair
Chane A4.5, 75Hz, TW, under $300/pair? (not yet announced)

There are much more expensive options from KEF, PSB, and others, but are more than what I'm willing to spend.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off