AVS Forum banner

Cheap speakers (around 150 €\$) for minimal needs

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Enrico Gugliotta 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone.
I think that my cheap requirements will make your ears bleed, but for now this is what I need.
I've just bought an Epson 3700 Projector for my photographic studio (attached image with the measures).
I wanted to know what pair of cheap speakers buy and, where to put them.
I thought I could buy a pair of 2.0 Edifier 1700 Bluetooth, so I can pair them with the Android TV dongle connected to the projector.
But I don't know where to put them. I wanted to show my clients my videos and photos with audio, but in the evening I wanted to see some movies and tv series.
Could you please help me? Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: pjp
#3 ·
I just put in Edifier R1280DB in my Brother-in-law's house. They are quite impressive on bass and the volume level they will produce. Sound-wise, I really felt like the tweeter is lacking, but the 1700 has a 19mm tweeter instead of the 13mm in the 1280, so it might be quite a bit better. Turning the treble up all the way (something I hate, but needed on the 1280) and letting them break in for a while and they sound pretty damn good.

The downside on the Edifier (at least the 1280) is that you need that tiny chicklet remote to change inputs. There are no physical buttons to change sources, so if you lose the remote, then I don't see any way to switch inputs. It also only allows one bluetooth connection at a time, so if somebody is connected, then you don't even see the bluetooth device as connectable on other devices. You have to hit the bluetooth button on the remote and hold it, which will make it discoverable, though there is no change on the bluetooth light (it stays blue the whole time) to show you that it is available for connection. It is very poorly designed from a usability standpoint, but if you are using line in or only bluetooth from 1 device, you may not care.

The other impediment with Edifier is that there is no way to connect a subwoofer, so if you want to add one later, you cannot.

I also have the Dayton Air speakers linked above and I think they are in some ways a better speaker. If your plan is to run without a sub, I think the Edifiers might put out more bass than the Daytons, but if you plan (now or later) to add a sub, the Daytons might be a better choice. I agree with using a T-tamp. The Lepei 2020ti is a pretty ugly amp, but it really sounds great and is only $28. Most of the T-amps don't deliver their claimed wattage with the included power supply (3 amp 12 volt supply can only produce 36 watts in total). If you need more volume/power, you can add a higher amperage power supply and the amp will rock -> https://www.parts-express.com/lepai...MIs86hqZDi4gIVlvhkCh1T3ADDEAQYASABEgKeT_D_BwE

#4 ·
At the top of the Photo there are two Rectangles one inside the other, can you explain what that is?

Next, WHERE ARE YOU? So, we can provide links that would be relevant to your location. Given that you partly quoted in € Euros, we assume somewhere in Europe. For Europe, I usually use Germany as the default.

Can you give a better more detailed explanation of How and Why the system will be used? You mentioned something about clients? How does that come into play? The Photo implies this is some type of Studio?

For us to truly help we need to understand the circumstance and the situation as well as you do, then we can reply in context.

What you need will depend on what you have. You have a Epson Projector, but what model? What Connections does it have? What is the source of your content - Computer, BlueRay, DVD, Network Streaming, Other? Knowing all the components in the system will help us determine what connects to what and how.

If this is business related and applies to work you have done for a client, likely want to present it in the best possible light. Which implies a better than average sound system if you are trying to sell something.

The area set aside for listening and viewing is about 2m (6.6ft) x 4.2m (13.8ft), which appears to be to one side of a larger room.

Even in that modest space, you don't want speakers that are too tiny. My instinct is to always go with 130mm (5.25 inch) woofers or bigger.

If you are considering Edifier, though above the stated budget, consider the Edifier R2000DB, which have two RCA analog input pairs, and Optical input with DAC plus Bluetooth capability. Also, the Edifier R2000DB have a Remote Control which is very handy. Though ... above your budget, but ver good speakers. There are many YouTube videos covering these speakers -

https://www.amazon.de/Edifier-R2000DB-Wood/dp/B06WW8N6DY/

https://www.edifier.com/gb/en/speakers/r2000db-bookshelf-speaker-bluetooth-optical-rca

Here is a similarly priced alternative that has smaller Front Speakers and a Subwoofer -

https://www.edifier.com/gb/en/speakers/s350db-bookshelf-speakers-subwoofer

https://www.amazon.de/Edifier-S350DB-Home-Entertainment-System-150W-schwarz/dp/B076HWZHW8/

Edifier does make quite a range of speakers which can be found here -

https://www.edifier.com/gb/en/speakers

Virtually all are available from AMAZON.

If the price absolutely has to come down, then the Edifier R1280DB comes pretty close -

https://www.amazon.de/EDIFIER-Studi...rsystem-Infrarot-Fernbedienung/dp/B01NCTNZRC/

https://www.amazon.de/EDIFIER-Studio-R1280T-Lautsprechersystem-Watt/dp/B00GBN50SC/

Very flexible with a lot of connection options - 2xAux/Line, Optical, and Coaxial plus Bluetooth and Remote Control.

https://www.edifier.com/gb/en/speak...-coaxial-optical-bluetooth-bookshelf-speakers

But in terms of sound quality and best value, the more expensive R2000DB are the best choice.

Again, what you connect to where will depend on what connections you have available and where.

Most modern TVs have an Optical Digital Audio Out. That is most commonly how people get TV/Movie Sound to a Audio System of some type.

Most modern computers have HDMI (some with audio some not), USB, Analog, and Optical Audio Out capabilities.

Most BluRay/DVD have HDMI and Optical/Coaxial Out with a few that have Analog Out.

I'm curious why you bought a Projector rather than say a 55" TV? TVs are relatively cheap now with 42", 50", and 55" being very attractively priced and 60"/65" coming down substantially. No doubt a Projector will throw a pretty large image, but how large to your really need?

So, tell us the specific Model of the Projector so we can look it up and see the Connection Options?

Tell us what the source of content is?

That should get us started.

For €150/pr for active speakers or for an Amp and Speakers, while there are options, the options are pretty limited. Most good options I can think of start closer to €250.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

#10 ·
As I said, the model will be an Epson 3700 (TW6700). And yes, it will be placed in my photographic studio. As you can see in the picture attached, me (or my clients) will be seated in the sofa at the bottom of the arrow. The projector will be placed above the sofa.
During the day, the projector will loop my videos and photos with an audio background, while during the evening I wanted to see movies and TV series.
As you can clearly see in the picture, the screen is 2 meters large.

#6 ·
It looks like the Edifier 1700 doesn't have digital input. If your sound source has a digital output, you might gain some advantage by selecting an Edifier model that has an optical/coax digital input. If you are planning to drive it with the analog audio out of your projector, then it doesn't matter which Edifier and that is also fine as input to a T-amp.

#7 ·
Good morning everyone.
I think that my cheap requirements will make your ears bleed, but for now this is what I need.
I've just bought an Epson 3700 Projector for my photographic studio (attached image with the measures).
I wanted to know what pair of cheap speakers buy and, where to put them.
I thought I could buy a pair of 2.0 Edifier 1700 Bluetooth, so I can pair them with the Android TV dongle connected to the projector.
But I don't know where to put them. I wanted to show my clients my videos and photos with audio, but in the evening I wanted to see some movies and tv series.
Could you please help me? Thanks
Best place for them would be beside the projector. Note: Those speakers are designed for desktop use and likely won't sound that great. You're better off going with some Dayton speakers and T-amp.
https://www.amazon.ca/Dayton-Audio-...189&s=gateway&sprefix=dayton+a,aps,137&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.ca/DROK-Channel-...76244&s=gateway&sprefix=t+AMP,aps,144&sr=8-14
Thanks for the answer. Sadly here in Italy I can't find the speakers you suggested me. Is there another good model?
When you say beside, according to the position of the sofa, where should I position them? Because the projector will be placed on a shelf, right above the sofa.

#8 ·
Thanks for the answer. Sadly here in Italy I can't find the speakers you suggested me. Is there another good model?
When you say beside, according to the position of the sofa, where should I position them? Because the projector will be placed on a shelf, right above the sofa.
Normally you would place the speakers on each side of where the image is projected, rather than close to the projector itself. For movies, you really want the sound to come from a the same plane as the image. If you are playing a soundtrack to a slideshow, then that might be less important, but I still think having speakers on the image plane rather than so close to the couch would sound better.

If you are doing some highly separated audio, then you might get some very cool effects having the speakers so close to the sofa, but I think it wouldn't be as natural a sound for most typical scenarios.

#12 ·
#13 ·
It looks like the Epson 3700 does not have optical out, so you could feed either the Edifiers you mentioned or a Lepei t-amp with a headphone to RCA cable from the projector.

I think the Edifier 1700's would sound very good and be a simple solution. Depending on your videos, a subwoofer can add a lot of drama to clients (and your video watching). If you think you might add a sub, pick an Edifier model with a preamp/sub output or go with a t-amp and passive speakers.

I know you didn't mention a sub, but when I see video presentations in business settings, the sub adds a lot of drama and intensity to the presentation. It doesn't need to be a large sub, just something small to fill out the lower bass the 4" ish woofers in the speakers you end up with can't put out.

#20 · (Edited)
Good evening everyone.
I thank you for all the suggestions, I've been working to reorganize my studio nearly every day.
I haven't decided yet how to solve the problem about which speakers should I buy.
The last idea I had was to buy a soundbar and place it under the photo background.

Just to refresh your ideas, I'm putting a projector (Epson TW6700 also called 3700) upside down attached to the roof.
This projector will be connected to an Android tv box to stream videos and photos (and movies obviously) for my clients.
This Android tv box (Xiaomi Mi box S), should stream the audio to some bluetooth speakers.

In the image 1 you can see where the projector is going to be attached.
In the image 3 you can see the photo background where the image will be projected. On the sides of the screen I could put a pair of bluetooth speakers. You suggested me the Edifier R1700BT, but I should buy also the stands to keep them elevated...
So I thought two other ideas.
A pair of bluetooth towers like these: https://www.amazon.it/Energy-Sistem-tecnologia-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B07FM271QT/ref=sr_1_10

Another solution could be a soundbar, and I would put it on the step in front of the brick wall that you can see in the image 2.
Which solution is the best according to you? Remember that the sofa under the projector is at about 4.20 meters (13,77 feet) away from the screen.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.