Please help new speaker/soundbar setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please help new speaker/soundbar setup

Hi,

New member here, saying hi. Just looking for some advice on a HT setup. I need simplicity and ease of operation for other family members not to be overwhelmed.. Not doing any wiring in the walls or ceiling. TV will go above the cabinet, against the wall. I'd like to be all in, maximum $2,000.
There will be a cable box, a fire TV, and a Xbox.

Thanks,
MrElusive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030896.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	2579158   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030890.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	2579160  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2019 Post(s)
Liked: 1361
If you don't want to do any wiring just get a soundbar and wireless sub

Afro GT
post #3 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
If you don't want to do any wiring just get a soundbar and wireless sub
Thank you. What about wireless surrounds?
Are there any brands/models I should be targeting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElusive View Post
Hi,

New member here, saying hi. Just looking for some advice on a HT setup. I need simplicity and ease of operation for other family members not to be overwhelmed.. Not doing any wiring in the walls or ceiling. TV will go above the cabinet, against the wall. I'd like to be all in, maximum $2,000.
There will be a cable box, a fire TV, and a Xbox.

Thanks,
MrElusive
You can just put 3 bookshelf speakers on top of the cabinet. Wire runs to an AVR will be quite short and can be easily concealed. You can get a wireless kit for your surround speakers, though reviews are quite mixed on their effectiveness.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I am okay with dedicated Center/L/R speakers sittings on the cabinet, sub-woofer on the side, and wiring to an AVR.
I just don't know if I am better off with one of those AIO soundbars from the local big box store that have optional wireless sub and optional wireless surrounds.
Or am I better off doing a system from scratch and I am open to any and all recommendations; speakers, receiver, sub, etc.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Have a look at the RSL speakers. Free trial. Speedwoofer 10S has wireless option.

https://rslspeakers.com/cg3-overview/
https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...heater-system/

They have their prior line on closeout prices.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...heater-system/
post #7 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Just an FYI, that room is going to be a veritable echo chamber, resulting in smeared sound and difficulty in recognizing dialog. Rugs, soft furnishings (not leather), heavy curtains, soft wall hangings (no glass) will be very helpful in taming those issues. As to your front three speakers, I would go with either a 3 channel PASSIVE soundbar solution, or three separate speakers surrounding the TV.

BTW, if aesthetics require lots of hard surfaces to remain, then you may want to check into proper treatments for that room. If you contact a company like GIK Acoustics (one among many options), they will look at your situation and design a solution for you. They have a wide variety of options, mimicking almost any piece of artwork you can imagine. Leaving the room as is, will only result in a frustrating aural experience for you and your family. The design services are free.

For a soundbar, the Golden Ear would be my choice, as it has very limited vertical dispersion, and should help a bit with the initial reflections. It will need to be placed either on top of the TV (best), or under the TV and positioned at the very front of the cabinet on which it sits. In either case, it should be angled a bit upward or downwards, towards the seated ear position.

BTW, a passive soundbar is powered by a receiver, so all the $ you spend on it are used for the speakers themselves, not the licensing, bluetooth, amps ... and allows you to replace the amp when it fails or you want to upgrade to a new model, without having to dump the speakers in the process.

For 3 speakers, choose three tall, narrow speakers, surrounding the TV at the sides and above for the center channel (under the TV will cause early reflections off the top of the cabinet, so that is not recommended). Lots of options here from Def Tech, Revel, PSB, Paradigm, Totem, Triad ... the list goes on. If you place the speakers right up against the TV, it will hide any wiring, however you will pay a price in a narrow sound field. If you spread out the speakers, you can hide the wiring behind the TV "wall" or run a discrete wire cover (painted to match) directly to the speakers.

Another option for three speakers is more of a bookshelf approach, with two bookshelf and one center channel sitting directly on the top of the furniture, at the very front (recessing it back will just add to the echo effect and destroy the sound). So, if WAF precludes putting the speakers at the front, then avoid this option altogether. If you go this way, be sure to have rubber feet installed to isolate the speakers from the furniture to avoid resonances. Also, there is the kid factor, as those speaker positions would be an accident waiting to happen, if they are the rambunctious sort.

What size is the TV, how far away will you sit?

You will need a subwoofer, or perhaps two, in that room and some alternate placement options to be assured that you get good even frequency response. Good frequency response in the bass region is almost entirely dependent upon the position of the sub and the seating.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-12-2019 at 10:12 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much, this is a lot of info to digest and I really appreciate all the help I have received so far.

The dream for the TV will be 75" panel. The reality may be 65".

The furniture is ordered and is all leather to be honest lol. And to make things worse there is a large sliding glass door at the back wall. See picture attached below.

I will contact GIK Acoustics and let them come up with some suggestions.

I don't mind having wiring in the front, even if it is showing.

So I am better off to do bookshelf speakers mounted on the sides of the TV, that is doable with the sheetrock on each side.
But with the faux rock wall I don't know how I would mount the center channel or sound bar (whichever route I decide) on top of the TV.

If I go with the CG23 system, can I power it all with a Marantz NR1609? Or should I be looking for higher power delivery?
The GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array soundbar looks dope but it's $1,000 without the sub-woofer. That leaves me very tight budget for the sub-woofer and receiver. Unless the NR1609 will also do the job here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030892.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	2579468   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030891.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	2579470  
post #9 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
The Supercinema has a 91 dB efficiency rating, so the 1609 should have plenty of power to drive it.

The RSL is a bit less efficient, at 89 dB, but still should be fine with the 1609.

Marantz rates their receivers very conservatively, so you get a true 50 watts per channel.

Btw, the TV has vesa mounts on the back, which can be used for brackets to hold the center channel or soundbar. Something like this could work (or similar):

https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Drea...Y?Subscription

If you are handy, you may just be able to get a couple of slotted pieces of flat or angle iron with a few bolts/washers/lock washers from the hardware store.

I take it the TV will sit on a stand on top of the cabinet and not mounted to the wall?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-14-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 301
The RSL's also have pretty good sensitivity at 89 dB so would also work well with your Marantz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page