Polk RTi series or an alternative? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By aarons915
  • 1 Post By prsman
  • 2 Post By dan webster
  • 1 Post By dan webster
  • 1 Post By prsman
  • 2 Post By usc1995

post #1 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Polk RTi series or an alternative?

Im looking for new home theater speakers (replacing 22 year old Acoustic Research set) for 100% movies and cable TV and using a Denon X4500H.. For me the #1 criteria is a wood cherry finish and the second is cost. The speaker set is a floor standing left and rights, center and 2 bookshelf speakers for front heights.

I found the Aperion Versus Grand III and that set is $4K:and very similar looking Polk RTi series set (RTi-A7, CSI-A6, RTi-A1) is $1K. I got the Polks from Crutchfield for a 60 day audition and they are beautiful cabinets. Later after I bought the RTis I discovered there is a Polk LSi series that would be $3K set.

Do you have experience with the RTi series to share?
I need to place the RTi-A7 against the wall and being ported speakers I hear thats not good to do.
How are they in the living room home theater.
Is it even possible that the Aperion's at 4X the cost even approach that 4x better sound?

After I bought the RTis, I now see that Polk also has the LSI series in cherry cabinets at $2.8K for the set. Ive read the LSi's are more for music then home theater. So perhaps a littel buyers remorse but would the LSi's at 3X the cost approach 3X better sound?

If you have some experience with the RTis I would be most appreciative if you could share.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 1361
hard to actually quantify sound quality as something sounding 3x better than another. How would one determine that? If you can afford it buy a pair of the LSi speakers and return the the RTiA once you determine the sound difference is worth the extra cost.

I have Energy RC-10's in cherry which I think are gorgeous but no longer in production.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Energy RC-10 Cherry.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	2579192  

Afro GT
post #3 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 521
The Rti and Lsi are voiced different, the Rti are definitely a bit bright in the highs which you can see if you check various measurements, some people actually like that for home theater but for music it can be fatiguing. The LSIM are very neutral, which is really what you want, they're much better for music and will still sound great for home theater, the cabinets are some of the best I've ever seen as well. I'm not sure how good the new Aperion Verus speakers sound, as I haven't heard them but at the current 50% off prices of the LSIM, there really isn't anything that beats them that I've heard anywhere near the price.
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
The Rti and Lsi are voiced different, the Rti are definitely a bit bright in the highs which you can see if you check various measurements, some people actually like that for home theater but for music it can be fatiguing. The LSIM are very neutral, which is really what you want, they're much better for music and will still sound great for home theater, the cabinets are some of the best I've ever seen as well. I'm not sure how good the new Aperion Verus speakers sound, as I haven't heard them but at the current 50% off prices of the LSIM, there really isn't anything that beats them that I've heard anywhere near the price.
thats good input thanks. Im ok with brighter sound since im 100% movies. I do know they sound better then the 22 year old speakers im replacing.
Panson likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I own the 707 lsim towers for my 2 channel system. I got them for a blow out price. Imo thy are on one the best sounding and definitely best made as well as best looking speakers available for anywhere near the price. I have owned literally dozens of different speakers over the last 15 hears.

If i was setting up a new theater i would seriously think about fantastic offer directly from polk. Buy four of the 703 bookshelves and get the excellent top of the line 706 center free. Get 2 pair of good stands and a good sub or 2 and you should be over the top pleased

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-....c100903.m5276
MIX_MASTER_ICE and Panson like this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 YamahaCX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS520 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Martin logan motion 12 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #6 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 229
All 5 speakers come to 1500 shipped. Get 2 pairs of good stands appz 200 and a good 800 sub ( many to chose from ) total cost is $2500 complete. Thats one hell of a system for the money. with a 5 year warranty from polk who i know for a fact has good customer service.
This would be a nice choice for a great sub for 800 2 would be even better
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24457
Panson likes this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 YamahaCX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS520 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Martin logan motion 12 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub

Last edited by dan webster; 06-13-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
I own the 707 lsim towers for my 2 channel system. I got them for a blow out price. Imo thy are on one the best sounding and definitely best made as well as best looking speakers available for anywhere near the price. I have owned literally dozens of different speakers over the last 15 hears.

If i was setting up a new theater i would seriously think about fantastic offer directly from polk. Buy four of the 703 bookshelves and get the excellent top of the line 706 center free. Get 2 pair of good stands and a good sub or 2 and you should be over the top pleased

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-....c100903.m5276
I think they are beautiful speakers also. They LSIM are gorgeous and the RTIs look very similar them.. For $1K I got 2ea RTi-A7, CSI-A6 center, 2ea RTi-A1 bookshelves. I already have surrounds and subs. I was just wondering if its worth the added price, at about $2.8K for the LSIMs, 2K more than RTi. I found out about the LSIMs after I bought the RTis. Crutchfield doesn't carry the LSIMs so I missed them. I dont listen to music, just 100% movie theater loud movies or cable TV or streaming so those I talked to all suggested the RTi series. Also I hate to admit but I probably dont have the high end frequency hearing any longer that otherwise might justify $2K more the the RTi's.
Panson likes this.

Last edited by prsman; 06-13-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I have a 7.2.4 setup based on the Polk RTi series. I have rti8s and a csi3 up front, fxia6s for side surrounds and Rtia1s for fear surrounds. I think they are beautiful in cherry and I have generally been pleased with their performance in my home theater. I have recently been spending a lot more time listening to music with my Andrew Jones Pioneer setup in my living room and think that I am beginning to prefer the more laidback sound they provide for music over the Rtis. I still prefer the Rtis for home theater.

I just went to the high end audio show in LA where I heard $50k+ speakers from Wilson Audio and Magico as well as $20k+ speakers from Legendary and MBL. Were any of these speakers 20-50 times better than what I own? No! Speakers are a subjective thing and as long as they can playback the content that you enjoy at levels that you listen to without distortion you can choose from a lot at various price points. As for the RTi vs. Lsim debate, if you had a chance to audition both sets side by side and return the loser at a reasonable cost then I would do it. You won’t know what you subjectively prefer and value enough to pay for unless you do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Panson and mr266 like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post

I just went to the high end audio show in LA where I heard $50k+ speakers from Wilson Audio and Magico as well as $20k+ speakers from Legendary and MBL. Were any of these speakers 20-50 times better than what I own? No! Speakers are a subjective thing and as long as they can playback the content that you enjoy at levels that you listen to without distortion you can choose from a lot at various price points. As for the RTi vs. Lsim debate, if you had a chance to audition both sets side by side and return the loser at a reasonable cost then I would do it. You won’t know what you subjectively prefer and value enough to pay for unless you do it.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So true. Id love to compare. That would release this inner tension Im under..not knowing if Im making the right decision. No where that I can find near me to even listen to them in a store. While Polk doesnt mention anything on their site, I did speak with their sales and they said they would pay for shipping for returned speakers. As the LSIM 707 is a good 6 inches taller and closing on 100lbs, I bet those ship by freight and would not have return shipping paid for but Id have to ask first. If not then it wouldnt make sense to buy and return. Now the Aperion Grand III, similar looking and highly proffesionally reviewed, those are returnable but thats $4K for the set. As it is, I think im over stressing about it as even if I did have them to audition I probably dont have the hearing pallette anyway to appreciate a LSIM nor the high end frequency hearing. The crash, crunch and rumble of a good scifi movie is the extent of my audio palette
post #10 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Given your response on your last two posts....sounds like you should just stick with what you have...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page