Obstructions to Audio from Atmos Ceiling Speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-15-2019, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Obstructions to Audio from Atmos Ceiling Speakers?

Hello! I searched through the forum and couldn't find any topics directly about this, so sorry if this has been asked before. We are moving into a new place and have a pretty decent A/V room planned with one small hitch. We're going to start with a 5.1.4 setup. The only problem is that there is a structural beam that extends down from the ceiling about 16" or so and I had originally planned to put the rear ceiling speakers on the opposite side of this beam in relation to the MLP. Now I'm getting concerned that the beam will obstruct the sound from those speakers too much. I attached an image of the room in the model for reference.

So -- would this beam interfere too much with the audio from those speakers? We can move the couch forward and put the rear ceiling speakers directly in front of that beam. The dimensions of the room are roughly 20' wide and 16' deep, with the beam about 3.5-3.75' from the back wall.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7111.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	2580402  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-15-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8582 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah-yeah View Post
Hello! I searched through the forum and couldn't find any topics directly about this, so sorry if this has been asked before. We are moving into a new place and have a pretty decent A/V room planned with one small hitch. We're going to start with a 5.1.4 setup. The only problem is that there is a structural beam that extends down from the ceiling about 16" or so and I had originally planned to put the rear ceiling speakers on the opposite side of this beam in relation to the MLP. Now I'm getting concerned that the beam will obstruct the sound from those speakers too much. I attached an image of the room in the model for reference.

So -- would this beam interfere too much with the audio from those speakers? We can move the couch forward and put the rear ceiling speakers directly in front of that beam. The dimensions of the room are roughly 20' wide and 16' deep, with the beam about 3.5-3.75' from the back wall.

Thanks for any suggestions!
You can mount speakers to the beam aimed down for the rears if you wish or use pendant speakers like the JBL Control series.

If these are too large there are smaller options especially if you don't mind considering outside speakers which come with mounting brackets.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-outsider-ii/

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107ATR...tdoor+speakers

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 5 Old 06-15-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the reply. There's no need to mount speakers to the beam as I can just put them in the ceiling firing straight down. I was more wondering if I put the speakers behind the beam if the beam would affect the sound considerably since the speakers will be pointed straight down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2351
I would not mount any speakers behind the beam. Keep everything in front. You can experiment with seating depth at that point.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-16-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8582 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah-yeah View Post
Thanks for the reply. There's no need to mount speakers to the beam as I can just put them in the ceiling firing straight down. I was more wondering if I put the speakers behind the beam if the beam would affect the sound considerably since the speakers will be pointed straight down.
Yes, it would definitely affect the sound in a negative way as the first reflection point would be right there blocking the dispersion to your ears.

I'd mount a speaker with a bracket to the beam with the face of the speaker just a hair below the beam so it would be virtually invisible behind the beam.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page