What speakers? large room, losing my hearing - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Lp85253
  • 3 Post By MIX_MASTER_ICE
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By darthray
  • 2 Post By Tom Ames

post #1 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What speakers? large room, losing my hearing

We've done a remodel of the house and have a large common area - 40' x 25' room that is a kitchen, dining room and couch / TV area.

I'd like get some audio with the couch & TV. I am 100% TV and movies, no music, and as I said - as I'm getting older I'm losing my hearing. I have the hardest time with the dialog vs. general volume. I usually watch movies with the subtitles on since if I turn the TV up loud enough to clearly hear the dialog, the rest of the sound is hugely annoyingly loud on the sound effects.

What I really want is a setup where I can pump up the dialog to where i maybe don't have subtitles, fill the room for everybody else, and not get assaulted by explosions. This means I'm pretty functional, as in I won't appreciate the highest end $5,000 set of speakers because I can't hear them, but I have whatever budget to buy what's best for the family. ($1,500?)

Would you say towers or bookshelves since I need it to be loud in a huge space? Where is the best deal for me for a full sound stage and clarity of dialog that are better matched in volume? If I disregard music listening how does it change the picture? Are 2 towers enough?

Where should I be looking in brands?

Appreciate any of your thoughts. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked: 1649
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfhann View Post
We've done a remodel of the house and have a large common area - 40' x 25' room that is a kitchen, dining room and couch / TV area.

I'd like get some audio with the couch & TV. I am 100% TV and movies, no music, and as I said - as I'm getting older I'm losing my hearing. I have the hardest time with the dialog vs. general volume. I usually watch movies with the subtitles on since if I turn the TV up loud enough to clearly hear the dialog, the rest of the sound is hugely annoyingly loud on the sound effects.

What I really want is a setup where I can pump up the dialog to where i maybe don't have subtitles, fill the room for everybody else, and not get assaulted by explosions. This means I'm pretty functional, as in I won't appreciate the highest end $5,000 set of speakers because I can't hear them, but I have whatever budget to buy what's best for the family. ($1,500?)

Would you say towers or bookshelves since I need it to be loud in a huge space? Where is the best deal for me for a full sound stage and clarity of dialog that are better matched in volume? If I disregard music listening how does it change the picture? Are 2 towers enough?

i'd start looking with the jbl and klipsch brands in mind .. they do very nice home theater type speakers at a nice price..edit: look into emotiva as well , they have a nice close out going on right now...
darthray likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #3 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 2418
If you want something with loud and clear dialogue for movies, Klipsch center channels would probably be one of the best options. They feature horn loaded tweeter and higher than most other speakers in terms of sensitivity. Klipsch speakers are often recommended for home theater, as this is widely considered their strength. How far you sit from the speakers will obviously play a part in how well you can hear them, so I would situate your main seating area where YOU will be within a reasonable distance and centered up with the center channel if possible.

If you need a receiver, the Onkyo TX-RZ830 is currently on sale for $500 and that's a great price on a receiver that usually sells for well over $1,000. Pretty much all modern receivers allow you to set the output level of each "zone" of a surround speaker set up. Center, fronts, side surrounds, rear surrounds, height...etc.. So you can set the center channel to have more output than the other speakers if you have a hard time hearing dialogue.
darthray, Lp85253 and christoofar like this.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4 HS. Plantronics RIG500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. UE Boom3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
Quote:

Denon Receivers have a wonderful feature called dialogue adjustment level or center level adjust. You can boost up the dialogue level without having to crank up the rest of the system to 11.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...VR-X1500H.html

You will however still need a good center. Emotiva Is having a great close-out sale that get you an excellent set of towers and 3 way center well under budget. If budget permits add a pair of B1 for surround duty. Alternatively, You can get a used set of surround speakers off Craigslist or local pawn shop for $25-30
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-t1
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-c1
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-b1

You can also just get a set of B1's up front, but you'd definitely need subs.
Lp85253 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

Last edited by pase22; 06-16-2019 at 02:34 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Denon Receivers have a wonderful feature called dialogue adjustment level or center level adjust. You can boost up the dialogue level without having to crank up the rest of the system to 11.
All brands have this feature.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Klipsch seems like the best fit. A pair of these and a matching center:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP2...80F-Ebony.html

Crutchfield has amazing support and return policies.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
You’re going to benefit from a dedicated center channel. Large rooms with just basic TV sound are generally horrible. My wife struggled with vocal clarity in our new room until we put in a standard home theatre setup. Since you’re not looking for the highest volume or loudest base, you actually have a lot of options.

Maybe check out the Ascend CMTs. High sensitivity, neutral, decent price. A setup of those with a basic Denon receiver (check accessories4less.com) and you’ll be good to go.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
post #8 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 2996
Quote:

While not a fan of Klipsch speakers, for been too bright to me.
I have to agree with the Members who mention them, since in your thread title you said "losing my hearing".
They might be your best option for price, and your hearing loss.

Also, while bias for towers. I believe your best option is bookshelf's, and spend the difference of your budget price between the towers/bookshelf's. On the best Ported sub, you can get to fill the lower frequencies, since your room is fairly on the large size.

Darth
Lp85253 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 06-16-2019 at 05:13 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Good, clean, frequency response in the vocal range: RSL CG23.

Pair it with a receiver that does "Dialog Lift" (or equivalent), and bump the center channel a couple of dB. Some folks also run dynamic compression, so the explosions/special effects are tamed a bit, making it easier to hear the dialog.

Lastly, you could try one of the options from this company:

https://zvox.com/

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-16-2019 at 10:52 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I highly recommend you try using Dynamic Volume (aka Dynamic Compression as @RayGuy mentioned). What it does is take the lower level sounds and dialog, etc and raises them up, while also reducing the dynamic peaks where volume is raised typically 10-20db, and bringing those down to a normalized level. This will give you much better vocals/dialog and will allow you to adjust the volume to a level you can enjoy and keep you from being overwhelmed when explosions or other dynamic events occur in the movie. I used to frown upon Dynamic Volume use but now I see it's value in these type of circumstances. As for speakers, I use Polk LSiM 705's up front, along with a 704c center, and I find that gives an excellent sound stage with great, clear vocals. I also have 703's in the rear. With this setup, you may not even need a subwoofer. You could also just do 703's up front and in the rear, and that would be respectable as well, but you may want to add a ported subwoofer to cover the lower frequencies.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Why not use a sound reinforcement approach and place a monitor very close to you. I'm thinking something like a small wedge speaker on a tether that will feed the center channel right to you very close to your head so that you can hear it clearly without making the rest of the room too loud.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I'm going to go in a different direction with my suggestion. I'm in the same boat as you with losing high-frequency hearing and particularly speech recognition. Hearing aids have helped me far more than any speakers or speaker settings can make possible. If you have not already had your hearing evaluated by a qualified audiologist, I would certainly do that.

That's not to say that the previous suggestions won't help, but they can not overpower hearing loss. I am hearing detail in music and movies that I was completely missing previously. Good luck!
Fitero and RayGuy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page