High quality, high value in wall home theater? Is this possible? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dawn Gordon

post #1 of 8 Old 06-16-2019, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
High quality, high value in wall home theater? Is this possible?

Hello!

I'm looking for advice on choosing an in-wall 5.1 speaker system. I'm moving into a new apartment and doing a full gut renovation from scratch. Having grown older and wiser (or perhaps just lamer), I no longer want my home theater to dominate the room. I do still want pleasing sound. I'm looking to spend around $3,000 for all five speakers and the subwoofer. I would like all the speakers, including the sub, to be mounted in-wall or in-ceiling.

Currently I'm running a Denon AVR-X3300W, a 5 channel B&W 601s3 surround sound setup and a Rythmik Audio F12 sub. Harmony Hub for control. Sources include the usual assortment of modern UHD bluray codecs, streaming services and a Roon library streaming a mix of CD quality and hi-res audio via a custom built raspberry pi Roon endpoint.

I'm pleased with the sound I get out of that system. The B&W speakers are a bit bright, but room correction helps. The Rythmik Audio F12 is phenomenal, hard hitting and very musical.

Some more random thoughts/questions on criteria:
  1. This is a Manhattan apartment, so adjacency issues/leakage are important to consider. I will be adding soundproof insulation to the walls and leaning towards speakers with back boxes, but thoughts on minimizing what my neighbors hear are appreciated - whether that be by making certain speaker choices or installation choices.
  2. I tend to listen to more front heavy content (music and talk-y movies), so I'm comfortable spending a bit more on the LCR speakers and going smaller/cheaper on the surrounds. This is also consistent with some general space constraints in the room.
  3. The room itself is 23 feet by 13 feet. However, the listening area occupies only half of that - about 12 feet square.
  4. The LCR speakers will be oriented around a 65" flat panel display (hopefully an LG C9 if I can get a deal .
  5. I tend to strongly prefer tight, musical bass. An in-wall sub with a servo driver in this price range would be great!

Any suggestions? I've come across a few ideas - Kef and Tidal - but would love to know more about what I don't know.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-16-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Look into Triad and Totem. I think they are exactly what you are looking for and have built in backer boxes which is a must in your situation. I would save money on surrounds and go with RSL and would skip an inwall sub and just go with something compact but that has good sound from Hsu, Ryhtmik, RSL, etc
post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 293
for in walls, check out axiom audio or GTL sound labs

for in wall sub, check out JL audio : http://www.jlaudio.com/home-audio-in...ers-fathom-iws

or : https://www.paradigm.com/en/in-wall-subwoofers/rvc-12sq

or: https://community.savant.com/Default...e=&cclcl=en_US

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.

Last edited by smithsabom; 06-16-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2019, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! I'll start with Triad and see where that leaves me.

Painful to part with the F12, maybe I'll find a way to make it fit....
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2019, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Dumb question: does Triad maintain a dealer list anywhere? Or do they do direct sales? Their website makes it seem like they don't actually sell these things haha.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2019, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledyoungman View Post
Dumb question: does Triad maintain a dealer list anywhere? Or do they do direct sales? Their website makes it seem like they don't actually sell these things haha.
Dawn Gordon is an active Triad rep for the company on Avsforum, I would either PM her or ask the question in the dedicated Triad thread on this subforum. She can put you in touch with either a local dealer or help you buy direct I would guess.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-18-2019, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I can help you find a dealer.

Email me.
Lp85253 likes this.

[email protected]
post #8 of 8 Old 06-18-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
At Cedia '17, Revel had a living room setup with some inwall speakers. I thought they had the best sound for price at the show that year.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page