SVS Prime Pinnacle Speakers Hands-On Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
  • 6 Post By imagic
  • 2 Post By RayGuy
  • 7 Post By imagic
  • 3 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By Jameshtx
  • 1 Post By buckchester
  • 1 Post By Bardia
  • 4 Post By imagic

post #1 of 20 Old 06-16-2019, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
SVS Prime Pinnacle Speakers Hands-On Review

I'm running the SVS Pinnacle Prime towers right now using an NAD M10 Masters and I've got a SB-3000 to fill out the lows. I'm not doing technical reviews anymore so let's just talk about the subjective stuff...

"SVS Prime Pinnacle is a new three-way powerhouse tower speaker that offers excellent performance for the money. It's a Top Choice for 2019." Read more by clicking here.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-17-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-16-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm running the SVS Pinnacle Prime towers right now using an NAD M10 Masters and I've got a SB-3000 to fill out the lows. I'm not doing technical reviews anymore so let's just talk about the subjective stuff...

These are badass SVS Prime speakers, full-stop. Crisp and clear sound I've been listening to all day and night, these speakers can belt out the tunes at impressive levels and remain utterly unflappable. I'm putting finishing touches on a review which I'll post tomorrow. But the long story short is these SVS rock hard, rock precise, rock deep and are getting the Top Choice designation.
Wow, can't wait for the full review.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-16-2019, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2606 Post(s)
Liked: 2356
But how do they do with large orchestral?

KMFDMvsEnya and peekatoad like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I'll hold on to my Element Metals, thanks though
post #5 of 20 Old 06-17-2019, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
Why?

It's only a hobby
post #6 of 20 Old 06-17-2019, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

"SVS Prime Pinnacle is a new three-way powerhouse tower speaker that offers excellent performance for the money. It's a Top Choice for 2019." Read more by clicking here.
I own and use the NAD M10 in my home office. How do you like yours?
post #7 of 20 Old 06-17-2019, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnargs View Post
Why?
Because I heard these in person. And I know its not apples to apples but these do make ok budget speakers.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-17-2019, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnargs View Post
Why?
Quote:
Because I heard these in person. And I know its not apples to apples but these do make ok budget speakers.
Your speakers cost $15,000, yes? That's not a trivial gap in price... it's almost 10X more than the SVS, or triple the total cost of the entire system I reviewed.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #9 of 20 Old 06-18-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Your speakers cost $15,000, yes? That's not a trivial gap in price... it's almost 10X more than the SVS, or triple the total cost of the entire system I reviewed.
I'm thinking the better comparison would be how these stack up against the SVS Ultra Towers, you're just talking about a $400 difference in cost in black ash or just $200 difference in piano black at that point.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #10 of 20 Old 06-18-2019, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I'm thinking the better comparison would be how these stack up against the SVS Ultra Towers, you're just talking about a $400 difference in cost in black ash or just $200 difference in piano black at that point.
I agree, however I've never had the Ultra towers in my home so I can't make that comparison.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #11 of 20 Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I agree, however I've never had the Ultra towers in my home so I can't make that comparison.
Guessing low chance, but have you ever had/heard any Energy RC speakers (mainly asking about RC-70) that you might know how these compare? Pretty sold on replacing my center and sub with SVS but trying to figure out if the towers would be an improvement as really leaning towards the Pinnacle due to the better placement options than the Ultra towers.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-20-2019, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks for the review Mark I was hoping someone would do a review as I am thinking about getting the Pinacles to replace my 20+ plus years old Phase Tech 8.5s
post #13 of 20 Old 06-20-2019, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Are these speakers mainly for music?

7.2.4 l Epson 5040ub Projector l Oppo 203 Blu Ray player l Denon AVR-X4300h l Def Tec BP9080 LR/Front Atmos l Def Tec CS9080 C l Def Tec SR9080 SL/SR/SBL/SBR l Monoprice 6.5 Rear Atmos l SVS PB-2000 dual setup l Panamax M5400
post #14 of 20 Old 06-21-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
Music is more demanding than home video, music shows you where all the bodies are buried sonically speaking. These speakers should be able to take anything you care to throw at them.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #15 of 20 Old 06-21-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Music is more demanding than home video, music shows you where all the bodies are buried sonically speaking. These speakers should be able to take anything you care to throw at them.
No, these speakers are equally useful for home theater, in setups where you want freestanding speakers. The reason for this is that they are capable of high output levels. The catch is that they are not as sensitive as some dedicated home theater type speakers, primarily because they are designed to also play really deep in the bass region. However, if you provide them with enough power, they will reach the high output levels that will get you to reference level sound in a home theater installation.

The reason that they are suitable for home theater and AV as well as music is because they are part of a larger speaker system that includes all the other speaker types you would need to put together any kind of surround system you want. That includes 3D immersive audio. The reality is that SVS provides a complete solution that extends through its broad lineup of highly capable subwoofers as well. The speakers are an aesthetic match as well as a sonic match.

But, their suitability for music stems from the fact that if you simply attach them to a powerful amplifier and do nothing else but treat them like a proper high fidelity stereo pair of speakers, you will get the sort of performance that is expected in that category. They don't need a subwoofer to dig deep, have a very clean neutral sound that conveys the texture and feel of live music and can dig through multilayered studio recordings. Basically, highly capable for either application.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #16 of 20 Old 06-21-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What's the difference between these and the ultra towers then?
DekPM19 likes this.

7.2.4 l Epson 5040ub Projector l Oppo 203 Blu Ray player l Denon AVR-X4300h l Def Tec BP9080 LR/Front Atmos l Def Tec CS9080 C l Def Tec SR9080 SL/SR/SBL/SBR l Monoprice 6.5 Rear Atmos l SVS PB-2000 dual setup l Panamax M5400
post #17 of 20 Old 06-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Totem, correct? My dealer raves about these speakers. But every time I ever listened to them, I was underwhelmed. Have you ever measured the frequency response of your speakers? There aren't many measurements of Totem speakers on the Internet, but the ones I've seen measure poorly. In which case it makes me wonder if these SVS speakers actually do sound better.
Spock1234 likes this.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckchester View Post
Totem, correct? My dealer raves about these speakers. But every time I ever listened to them, I was underwhelmed. Have you ever measured the frequency response of your speakers? There aren't many measurements of Totem speakers on the Internet, but the ones I've seen measure poorly. In which case it makes me wonder if these SVS speakers actually do sound better.
So I had the rainmakers before the Element Metals. What I did was go the the local dealer with 10-15 of my favorite albums/recordings on several different occasions. What I noticed is that I heard sounds that I had not heard from these recordings after listening to them for 30 years. I heard breaths close to the mic. Finger nails on guitar strings. Vocal especially female vocals blew me away. Then I noticed when I turn up the sound to reference levels, the sound quality remains the same. Also I did not get ear fatigue. There is no harshness. I listened to speakers twice as expensive and could not hear the same sound quality.
This speaker requires a very a good amp and speaker cables. I am running Classe amps and Clarus Crimson cables.

Another thing with these speakers is that they are extremely accurate. You can tell if you are listening to a SACD, DSD file or CD or MP3. You get exactly what you feed into it. With most speakers you can not tell what format you are listening to.

Again, the best way to choose your speakers is to take the music you are most familiar with and listen to different speakers to see what sounds best TO YOU.

I listen to rock, jazz and some Electronic and New Age music and have Element Metals for front, Element Earths for rear the Element Wood for Center along with 2 SVS SB-3000s and I am happy with it

Cheers
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-21-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
So I had the rainmakers before the Element Metals. What I did was go the the local dealer with 10-15 of my favorite albums/recordings on several different occasions. What I noticed is that I heard sounds that I had not heard from these recordings after listening to them for 30 years. I heard breaths close to the mic. Finger nails on guitar strings. Vocal especially female vocals blew me away. Then I noticed when I turn up the sound to reference levels, the sound quality remains the same. Also I did not get ear fatigue. There is no harshness. I listened to speakers twice as expensive and could not hear the same sound quality.

This speaker requires a very a good amp and speaker cables. I am running Classe amps and Clarus Crimson cables.

Another thing with these speakers is that they are extremely accurate. You can tell if you are listening to a SACD, DSD file or CD or MP3. You get exactly what you feed into it. With most speakers you can not tell what format you are listening to.

Again, the best way to choose your speakers is to take the music you are most familiar with and listen to different speakers to see what sounds best TO YOU.

I listen to rock, jazz and some Electronic and New Age music and have Element Metals for front, Element Earths for rear the Element Wood for Center along with 2 SVS SB-3000s and I am happy with it

Cheers
Well, since you decided to go into detail...

I've heard various Totem models and am impressed by the fidelity the company achieves. They are nicely built speakers and the motors on those drivers are super strong. You can push them hard, as you point out.

Having said that...

When possible, blind AB/X is the optimal way to directly compare speakers. Stating you can hear what digital format is used to encode music—at CD resolution and above—is contrary to accepted knowledge with the much greater possibility is you are hearing different mastering and not identical mastering encoded in different formats. Of course I'd LOVE to see someone prove otherwise.

And as for needing good speaker cables to get the most out of speakers, I can only offer that they should be of sufficient gauge and also, obviously, long enough to reach the speakers. Beyond that is the world of magic and voodoo. IMO, of course.

Sounds like a nice system.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-21-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #20 of 20 Old 06-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, since you decided to go into detail...

I've heard various Totem models and am impressed by the fidelity the company achieves. They are nicely built speakers and the motors on those drivers are super strong. You can push them hard, as you point out.

Having said that...

When possible, blind AB/X is the optimal way to directly compare speakers. Stating you can hear what digital format is used to encode music—at CD resolution and above—is contrary to accepted knowledge with the much greater possibility is you are hearing different mastering and not identical mastering encoded in different formats. Of course I'd LOVE to see someone prove otherwise.

And as for needing good speaker cables to get the most out of speakers, I can only offer that they should be of sufficient gauge and also, obviously, long enough to reach the speakers. Beyond that is the world of magic and voodoo. IMO, of course.

Sounds like a nice system.
Before getting the Crimson cables (Used) on Ebay, I have the Blue Jeans speaker cables and they were pretty good. In fact probably THE best bang for the buck. What the crimsons brought to the table was like hearing what is happening inside that recording studio. I heard very small sounds in the background that I could not tell before. The treble and the bass became more focused. vocal that were excellent before became sublime. I bought everything used. Just like cars there is no way I will take the hit on new products. Anyways, have a good weekend everyone and happy listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
prime pinnacle , Svs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page