KEF LS50 passive vs wireless - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KEF LS50 passive vs wireless

Im looking to upgrade my 2008 HT setup consist of paradigm monitors speakrs (titans for mains) and SVS subwoofer and ONKYO AVR with 130w per ch.

i listened to LS50 active speaker few days ago and really liked them. afterward, i made extensive research about these speakers and on how the best way to make some upgrades i would like your advice on this.

i heard LS50 passive is very hard to drive without a good amp. the point is i dont want to install an amp in my setup.

that would leave me with a high end AVR (Cambridge CXR200, arcam 850/550 and nad t777v3) that capable of driving the LS50.....but these are really expensive.

and the lower end of these brands dont have high watt power compare with mainstream ones.(Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo).

so there would probably be two options:

1- get LS50 wireless. buy a new cheap receiver to drive the remaining paradigm speakers (which i will eventually upgrade)

2- buy LS50 passive and use the remaining amount in a mid range Yamaha/onkyo with 140w 2ch.

is there other option? would option 2 be able to drive the LS50 passive??

my use is 70% gaming and 30% movies/tv shows. (gaming type is mostly music)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 2009
The LS50 aren't very high sensitivity...85dB, however, you might be suprised how loud they can be driven with a good, but not high end AV rec/Amp. I had a Marantz slimeline, advertised at 50 watts/channel, and my EmPtek speaker (87dB sensitive) got as loud as I care to play them without pushing them too far.

However, if you like it loud, you might want to go for a higher sensitive speaker and perhaps buy an AV rec with preouts to future-proof for adding more amplification down the road. (Emotiva T1 on sale for 500/pr, gets you into 88 dB range. the Chane 2.4 would put you at 90 dB, although I am not sure they are available right now).

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #3 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaizer View Post
Im looking to upgrade my 2008 HT setup consist of paradigm monitors speakrs (titans for mains) and SVS subwoofer and ONKYO AVR with 130w per ch.

i listened to LS50 active speaker few days ago and really liked them. afterward, i made extensive research about these speakers and on how the best way to make some upgrades i would like your advice on this.

i heard LS50 passive is very hard to drive without a good amp. the point is i dont want to install an amp in my setup.

that would leave me with a high end AVR (Cambridge CXR200, arcam 850/550 and nad t777v3) that capable of driving the LS50.....but these are really expensive.

and the lower end of these brands dont have high watt power compare with mainstream ones.(Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo).

so there would probably be two options:

1- get LS50 wireless. buy a new cheap receiver to drive the remaining paradigm speakers (which i will eventually upgrade)

2- buy LS50 passive and use the remaining amount in a mid range Yamaha/onkyo with 140w 2ch.

is there other option? would option 2 be able to drive the LS50 passive??

my use is 70% gaming and 30% movies/tv shows. (gaming type is mostly music)
I had also heard that ls50s need an high end amplifier to bring the best out of them.

I have a Yamaha class D AVR (100wpc) and a Parasound High current class AB amp (75 wpc).

To my ears, I can not make out much of a difference.

Maybe none of my choices are high (enough) end or maybe it does not make that much of a difference as long as amps are performing within their operational limits and not clipping. I tend to believe the latter.

Just my two cents. YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for the replies.

in term of costs, option 1 will have the new LS50 active speaker for 1800 USD and cheap AVR for 1000 USD, total 2800.

option 2 with new LS50 passive speaker is only 700 USD (offered by agency) and mid end AVR 1500-2000 USD, total 2700.

from my experience and the review of many youtubers and users, the active speaker is one of the best. i heard its also good to invest in a good main speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page