Need speaker suggestions for my HT set up - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By Kini62
  • 4 Post By cocrh
  • 1 Post By d-rail34
  • 2 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Need speaker suggestions for my HT set up

I have attached the picture of the area in my basement which I am planning to finish and establish a dedicated HT space

The screen would be on the wall which says 24'5...planning to go for a 160" screen, which I am yet to decide on what to get
The seating area would be where you see a bed like set up...it would be sitting on a raised platform

I got the Onkyo TX-RZ830 AVR, Epson 5040UB, Monolith 12" Sub so far
Need to get the rest of the speaker set up...so please suggest!

I have just seen the thread with the newegg sale having JBL 590s for $500 each & JBL center 520 for $150
Are they worth pulling the trigger? or should I be considering others? if so, which ones?
What are the other speakers I should be purchasing?

I am more interested in getting crisper dialogues in movies...so getting the best center speakers makes sense, right?
Oh btw, I will be using the HT for mostly movies - No games / songs.

Also, I don't want to build a wall on the long corridor you see....it is around 50' long and 16' wide for most part...so the kids can use it like a play area / party place....so should I be considering to install a thick curtain or some thing like that to make the HT space more enclosed? or are there any other ideas that I can pursue?

Thanks a ton, in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-04-27 at 8.05.06 PM.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2581734  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2351
Build the wall from the leftmost side of the 24.5' to the wall on the right. That would be a 16' wall, with one door, which locks. This keeps the kids away from your expensive equipment, lessens the noise factor when they are playing nearby, and gives you a nice equilateral area for consistent sound propagation.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2682 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Where you're planning to put the "seating" is probably about the worst spot possible. With it up against a wall and the "tunnel" that is created it will likely cause all kinds of bass issues. Not ideal for sound in general.

A single 12" sub, unless place very close will struggle in that huge space.
d-rail34 and spyboy like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 310
If you can build your HT with an Acoustically Transparent (AT) screen that would be optimal as you could line up 3 JBL 590's across the front behind the screen. That would be awesome and an ideal setup. They are very good speakers for the price.
d-rail34, vizag, sigpig and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Build the wall from the leftmost side of the 24.5' to the wall on the right. That would be a 16' wall, with one door, which locks. This keeps the kids away from your expensive equipment, lessens the noise factor when they are playing nearby, and gives you a nice equilateral area for consistent sound propagation.

I kind of like the open feel better than building a wall and making the space look small and partitioned

Has anyone here used extremely thick curtains that could contain sound and not feel like I am in a vastly open room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Where you're planning to put the "seating" is probably about the worst spot possible. With it up against a wall and the "tunnel" that is created it will likely cause all kinds of bass issues. Not ideal for sound in general.

A single 12" sub, unless place very close will struggle in that huge space.

Hmmm...that’s not good news then!

What do you think is a better use of that space for a HT and kids play area, without partitioning the place?

About placing the 12’’ sub closer, did you mean closer to the searing area?
If so, should it be placed near the start of the tunnel area?

Would the sub issue be resolved if I get one more 12’’? Should it be the same make & model?

post #7 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
If you can build your HT with an Acoustically Transparent (AT) screen that would be optimal as you could line up 3 JBL 590's across the front behind the screen. That would be awesome and an ideal setup. They are very good speakers for the price.

How much would it cost approximately to build an AT screen with inbuilt speakers?

How deep would that go? 2’? 3’? 4’?

What else go into the AT? Center speaker and the sub too?

post #8 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 709
As has been suggested already, having 3 of the 590's behind an AT screen would be the most ideal, and also give it a cleaner look since the LCR would be hidden. Along with the the speakers being placed behind the screen you can also place your subs behind there as well. Notice I said "subs"? That's because you would be better served running duals vs. a single sub to get a better overall response thoughout the room at pretty much every seating position. I would also suggest going with the 18" variant to get better low end extension. A couple of those can be had going the DIY route (if you're handy and have some power tools), or look into some ID brands like Rythmik, PSA, HSU, etc.. FWIW, you can definitely get more bang for your buck (all puns intended ) for a fraction of the cost of purchasing manufactured subs.

With that said, here is what I'm seeing in your layout:

1.) Where the 24' wall stops at the lower end of the drawing, you should consider walling that off with an entry door to seal up your HT area. This way you could utilize the length of that space to put the screen on one end (top of drawing), and would also allow you to put a second row of seating if you so choose.

2.) On the opposite 16' wall (top of drawing) is where you could frame up for your AT screen.

3.) As for the the 12' x 15' opening on the right side, you could use that space to set up a snack/bar area, and even house your equipment rack. Also, this area could be curtained off during movie time.

I know this may be more than what you had considered doing (I'm just guessing here, because I have no idea what your planned budget is.), but again, from what I'm seeing on the drawing, this is the route that I would consider going to maximize the potential in that space.

Hope this helps,

Darrell

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail
Bedroom - Blose: Cinemate II GS 2.1/Sony: XBR49X800E/XBox: One S

Last edited by d-rail34; 06-18-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizag View Post
Hmmm...that’s not good news then!

What do you think is a better use of that space for a HT and kids play area, without partitioning the place?

About placing the 12’’ sub closer, did you mean closer to the searing area?
If so, should it be placed near the start of the tunnel area?

Would the sub issue be resolved if I get one more 12’’? Should it be the same make & model?

Even if you added a second 12" sub they would still struggle to try and fill a space that size. This is another reason to consider enclosing your HT area. Plus, as was mentioned already, it would be a better way to protect your equipment from kids playing nearby. I'm in a living room setting and we have a "no playing allowed in the living room" rule. Unfortunately, I have no idea what's going on in there while at work. Lol. Fortunately, nothing has been damaged thus far.

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail

Last edited by d-rail34; 06-18-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
As has been suggested already, having 3 of the 590's behind an AT screen would be the most ideal, and also give it a cleaner look since the LCR would be hidden. Along with the the speakers being placed behind the screen you can also place your subs behind there as well. Notice I said "subs"? That's because you would be better served running duals vs. a single sub to get a better overall experience thoughout the room at at pretty much every seating position. I would also suggest going with the 18" variant to get better low end extension. A couple of those can be had going the DIY route (if you're handy and have some power tools), or look into some ID brands like Rythmik, PSA, HSU, SVS, etc.. FWIW, you can definitely get more bang for your buck (all puns intended ) for a fraction of the cost of purchasing manufactured subs.

With that that said, here is what I'm seeing in your layout:

1.) Where the 24' wall stops at the lower end of the drawing, you should consider walling that off with an entry door to seal up your HT area. This way you could utilize the length of that space to put the screen on one end (top of drawing), and would also allow you to put a second row of seating if you so choose.

2.) On the opposite 16' wall (top of drawing) is where you could frame up for your AT screen.

3.) As for the the 12' x 15' opening on the right side, you could use that space to set up a snack/bar area, and even house your equipment rack. Also, this area could be curtained off during movie time.

I know this may be more than what you had considered doing (I'm just guessing here, because I have no idea what your planned budget is.), but again, from what I'm seeing on the drawing, this is the route that I would consider going to maximize the potential in that space.

Hope this helps,

Darrell
That is how I initial planned the whole thing and then cut down the whole bar & kitchen thing in the 12' x 15' thing because of budget reasons and then came up with a similar one but without a bar / kitchen.

Attached is the rough sketch....but then thought it was too small when compared to the whole concept of an open floor when we are not using it to watch movies (which might be only a couple times a week at the max) and started to like that better than this

Would the sound be impacted greatly if I go with the open floor plan?

Do we have alternatives like a collapsible wall or really thick curtain, to be able to make it concealed when watching movies & then open it up when not?

As for the subs, I already got a 12" Monolith. So if I go for dual, I ll go with something similar and cannot go the DIY route.

What's an LCR btw?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aae06d7e-9f31-4a2e-8ed4-aed7047c6dc5.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2581808  
post #11 of 22 Old 06-18-2019, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is how I initial planned the whole thing and then cut down the whole bar & kitchen thing in the 12' x 15' thing because of budget reasons and then came up with a similar one but without a bar / kitchen.
You really wouldn't have to go too extravagant here. Perhaps a popcorn machine, small beverage cooler/fridge, and perhaps a counter top of sorts to place some other snacks/condiments on. I definitely wouldn't suggest building something that would require plumbing, like a kitchen.

Quote:
Attached is the rough sketch....but then thought it was too small when compared to the whole concept of an open floor when we are not using it to watch movies (which might be only a couple times a week at the max) and started to like that better than this
You should shoot over to the dedicated HT forum section. You'd be really surprised by how small some of the spaces are that's being used. Trust me...you have plenty of space.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for you to research some ideas in that section anyways.

Quote:
Would the sound be impacted greatly if I go with the open floor plan?
Yes

Quote:
Do we have alternatives like a collapsible wall or really thick curtain, to be able to make it concealed when watching movies & then open it up when not?
Something like a collapsible wall will most definitely be a bad idea. This will introduce issues with vibrations, and that's an annoyance that you want to avoid.

Curtains to enclose the room is something that I think most people would try to talk you out of, but if you ABSOLUTELY have to go that route...it's an option. Not a good option...but an option.

It's always going to be better to have the room sealed for acoustical reasons.

Quote:
As for the subs, I already got a 12" Monolith. So if I go for dual, I ll go with something similar and cannot go the DIY route.
On this, I really wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 15". Also, you could sell the 12" to help offset some of the cost, or just keep it and use it in another room (Living room?).

Quote:
What's an LCR btw?
Left/Center/Right.
vizag likes this.

Last edited by d-rail34; 06-18-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-19-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8582 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
Quote:
Need to get the rest of the speaker set up...so please suggest!

I have just seen the thread with the newegg sale having JBL 590s for $500 each & JBL center 520 for $150
Are they worth pulling the trigger? or should I be considering others? if so, which ones?
What are the other speakers I should be purchasing?

Thanks a ton, in advance!!!
Free returns, ( I think ) on the 590s so that sounds like a good plan.

HiFi Heaven is an excellent retailer in Wisconsin.

Any chance you are nearby?

1549 6th St, Green Bay, WI 54304

(920) 494-8999

JTR is also in Wisconsin.

Hardly cheap but they seem to be one of the "go to" dedicated home theater speaker brands here on AVS.
d-rail34 and vizag like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #13 of 22 Old 06-19-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
You really wouldn't have to go too extravagant here. Perhaps a popcorn machine, small beverage cooler/fridge, and perhaps a counter top of sorts to place some other snacks/condiments on. I definitely wouldn't suggest building something that would require plumbing, like a kitchen.

You should shoot over to the dedicated HT forum section. You'd be really surprised by how small some of the spaces are that's being used. Trust me...you have plenty of space.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for you to research some ideas in that section anyways.

Yes

Something like a collapsible wall will most definitely be a bad idea. This will introduce issues with vibrations, and that's an annoyance that you want to avoid.

Curtains to enclose the room is something that I think most people would try to talk you out of, but if you ABSOLUTELY have to go that route...it's an option. Not a good option...but an option.

It's always going to be better to have the room sealed for acoustical reasons.

On this, I really wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 15". Also, you could sell the 12" to help offset some of the cost, or just keep it and use it in another room (Living room?).

Left/Center/Right.

Thanks a ton for all that info!
I ll definitely think about it.

What kind of sound issues am I looking at? can you please elaborate?

Can acoustic panels help in any way?
post #14 of 22 Old 06-19-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Free returns, ( I think ) on the 590s so that sounds like a good plan.

HiFi Heaven is an excellent retailer in Wisconsin.

Any chance you are nearby?

1549 6th St, Green Bay, WI 54304

(920) 494-8999

JTR is also in Wisconsin.

Hardly cheap but they seem to be one of the "go to" dedicated home theater speaker brands here on AVS.
JTR seems expensive and out of my budget...I ll check HiFi Heaven, it's a couple hrs away from my place.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-19-2019, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8582 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
Quote:
JTR seems expensive and out of my budget...I ll check HiFi Heaven, it's a couple hrs away from my place.
Other than the excellent brand Tannoy, you may find the other speaker brands they carry closer to home.

But for me a couple of hour drive to eliminate hard to audition Tannoy might be worth it.
vizag likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 22 Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Are you into DIY?

If so, then you should consider DIYSG HTMs for your front three speakers.
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...-monitors.html

If you can go with an AT screen, then call AVScience and get a V6 screen.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #17 of 22 Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Are you into DIY?

How do these do against the PSA MT-110s?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #18 of 22 Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 PM

I am not sure as I haven't heard the PSAs. Maybe someone in the DIY forum has compared the two.

post #19 of 22 Old 06-21-2019, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you into DIY?

I am not into DIY but I have a handyman working on finishing my basement. Maybe I can take his help.

I do not have any plans for the speakers, but I need to do my research on the AT screen and get it done by him.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-21-2019, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What's a V6 screen?
post #21 of 22 Old 06-21-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I am not into DIY but I have a handyman working on finishing my basement. Maybe I can take his help.

I do not have any plans for the speakers, but I need to do my research on the AT screen and get it done by him.
For strictly movies, a monster waveguide with "12 woofer will give you what you need. Plus the box isn't that deep. Get the completed crossover and flat pack. Your guy will only have to glue them together.

Quote:
What's a V6 screen?
V6 is the name of the material. Call Mike Garrett at AVScience.com to discuss. I have seen them all and there are three elite level AT screens. V6 is one of them and also the least expensive.

post #22 of 22 Old 06-21-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked: 3894
If JTR is out of budget, PSA is your best choice for very good quality home theater speakers. Nothing available at a similar price from retail brands that comes close in performance.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/coll...roducts/mt-110

The JBL 590's at $500 are a bargain but the "matching" center channel would rule them out for me personally(4" woofers rofl), unless you can put another 590 as the center behind an AT screen. Then they would be a good option IMO but I'd probably consider waiting for a used set of PSA even at the sale price of the JBL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page