Need input on surrounds and room! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-19-2019, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need input on surrounds and room!

Setup:
HTPC only
Samsung un65ju7100 (eventually going 80 - 85" flush mount once nVidia unlocks VRR for HDMI)
Denon x4400h
(x2) HSU VTF-15H MK2's
DefTech BP9080x L & R Towers (crossover @ 60hz) (atmos tops crossover at 110hz)
DefTech CS9080 Center (crossover @ 80hz)
DefTech BP8060 Rear/Back Towers (crossover @ 80hz)

I obviously haven't finished painting in the house excuse the mismatch! I am currently running a 5.2.2 system but want to make it 7.2.2. My rear surrounds are currently positioned properly for a 7.x system and aren't ideal for how they are now as a 5.x system. Below I have several photos of the room I'm working with. My main limitation is the right side channel since I can only put it high up on the wall in that area. Is this okay to do if I angle the speaker down towards the MLP? I assume I would want to do the same for the left speaker so their locations match? It's unfortunate because I could mount the left speaker easily in the ideal position, but not the right speaker. Suggestions?

I am looking at these speakers for my side surrounds.
DefTech SR9080: https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/sr9080
DefTech ProCenter 2000: https://www.definitivetechnology.com...procenter-2000
DefTech ProMonitor 1000: https://www.definitivetechnology.com...romonitor-1000

I'm not sure I can even consider the SR9080 since it seems to require being flush mount against the wall without a mount to tilt it and that would mean the speaker would be more like 9ft high up on the wall firing towards the ceiling fan and in the vaulted area of the living room for the right side. The left side would be on the vaulted portion angled down above the fireplace or lowered down on the vertical section of the wall making it lower than the right side.

For the PC2000 and PM1000 I would use the DefTech ProMount 90: https://www.definitivetechnology.com...ts/promount-90 in order to mount and angle the speaker down towards the MLP.

Is the PC2000 being a center channel even a good option for side surrounds? I figured more is better in this case if I can't go with the SR9080.

Suggestions? Advice? Alternatives that would go with my setup nicely?

TIA!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surround Right - Kitchen.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	2582024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surround Left - Fireplace.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2582026   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_175539.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2582028   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_175518.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2582030   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_175444.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	2582032  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_175420.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	2582034   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV LR Distances.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	2582036  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-20-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8564 Post(s)
Liked: 5761
Quote:
Originally Posted by KornChild View Post
Suggestions? Advice? Alternatives that would go with my setup nicely?

TIA!
I think the high mounting might actually be an advantage to be honest.

I don't see any issue with using pro centers mounted horizontally using brackets; might even work just fine vertically if you prefer that as I don't see a wave guide that tells me dispersion is not uniform in the horizontal and vertical plane as is often the case with centers but I'd check with DefTec about that if you prefer vertical mounting.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 4 Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I think the high mounting might actually be an advantage to be honest.

I don't see any issue with using pro centers mounted horizontally using brackets; might even work just fine vertically if you prefer that as I don't see a wave guide that tells me dispersion is not uniform in the horizontal and vertical plane as is often the case with centers but I'd check with DefTec about that if you prefer vertical mounting.
I had someone tell me somewhat adamantly that they need to be ear level like my rears are and that the PC2000 for whatever reason might have "lobing issues". I'm an advanced rookie so that is out of my understanding for the moment. They recommended something like a HSU speaker, I was looking at the CCB-8's but they look enormous and would have to be on a stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-20-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8564 Post(s)
Liked: 5761
Quote:
Originally Posted by KornChild View Post
I had someone tell me somewhat adamantly that they need to be ear level like my rears are and that the PC2000 for whatever reason might have "lobing issues". I'm an advanced rookie so that is out of my understanding for the moment. They recommended something like a HSU speaker, I was looking at the CCB-8's but they look enormous and would have to be on a stand.
Lobing issues for centers are over blown IMHO...and if DefTec says you can mount that center vertically those "issue" go away completely.

You might also want to take a look at Def Tecs outdoor speakers for your application.

$10/box returns at Crutchfield if not happy within 60 days.

5.25" version and 6.5" version available in black or white.

Here's DefTec's description:

"AW6500 outdoor speaker.

It features some of the same advanced technologies as Definitive's highly acclaimed indoor speakers, but it's ready to stand up to the hardships of outdoor living.

And the included bracket lets you rotate the speaker up to 360° for maximum flexibility."

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page