AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Dual Centers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3074298-dual-centers.html)

vizag 06-19-2019 03:11 PM

Dual Centers
 
Has anybody had dual centers?
If so, where did you place the second one and what's your experience?

Also, why did you do that?

William 06-19-2019 03:41 PM

Generally a bad idea. Comb filtering and phasing are usually problems.

vzphoneman 06-19-2019 05:12 PM

I have seem them on a large projector/screen setup (100" plus I would guess) with one just above and one just below and it sounded nice. It seemed work well with such a large screen as the sound seemed to be coming from the center of the screen.

Russdawg1 06-19-2019 05:30 PM

Dual center = Left and Right channels

Lol.

smithsabom 06-19-2019 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
for your consideration: see pic

Johnny14o 06-19-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 58203794)
Generally a bad idea. Comb filtering and phasing are usually problems.

Proximity to each other influences the comb filtering. I'm running 2 JBL LC2 centers behind my 106" screen. 1 is below the screen, the other is 2/3 the way up the screen. They are also angled slightly away from each other.

I gave it a hard listen before and after doing this setup. I did not notice any comb filtering. What I did notice was a much wider sound field than running a single center channel.

Another way of accomplishing the wider sound field would be to use a single tower identical (or similar) to the left and right for the center.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

vizag 06-19-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny14o (Post 58204966)
Proximity to each other influences the comb filtering. I'm running 2 JBL LC2 centers behind my 106" screen. 1 is below the screen, the other is 2/3 the way up the screen. They are also angled slightly away from each other.

I gave it a hard listen before and after doing this setup. I did not notice any comb filtering. What I did notice was a much wider sound field than running a single center channel.

Another way of accomplishing the wider sound field would be to use a single tower identical (or similar) to the left and right for the center.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk



So do you like it and recommend it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny14o 06-19-2019 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vizag (Post 58204970)
So do you like it and recommend it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally like it.

I have a second row of seats and this has a center directed at each row.

I'm not encouraging this and I don't know what would happen if you had 2 different center channel speakers. Mine are identical.

That being said, I have recently got the hookup on a single JBL L880, and plan to swap out the 2 LC2 (pictured) for the single L880 tower and see how I like it.

One of the best things about having a home theater is being able to experiment with things/ways that give YOU the best experience.Attachment 2582206

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...10d412202c.jpg

vizag 06-21-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny14o (Post 58204998)
I personally like it.

I have a second row of seats and this has a center directed at each row.

I'm not encouraging this and I don't know what would happen if you had 2 different center channel speakers. Mine are identical.

That being said, I have recently got the hookup on a single JBL L880, and plan to swap out the 2 LC2 (pictured) for the single L880 tower and see how I like it.

One of the best things about having a home theater is being able to experiment with things/ways that give YOU the best experience.Attachment 2582206

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...10d412202c.jpg

If I get dual centers, they will definitely be identical.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.