Polk Speakers/Denon Receiver Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MRAYB

post #1 of 27 Old 06-22-2019, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Polk Speakers/Denon Receiver Help

Howdy,

For my birthday, I just received 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers and a Denon ARV-S950H. This is my first receiver and speakers of this kind (been using a Vizio Soundbar for the past few years). For the past 2 days, I have tried and tried to get the speakers to work but can't get any sound out of them. I have my PS4 hooked up to the receiver. Video-wise, the PS4 runs through the receiver and is showing up fine on my Samsung TV, but I couldn't get any sound out the speakers (HDMI Arc in the receiver to the HDMI Arc in the Samsung). I did some research and found that the ARC on some Samsungs are "iffy" at best so I connected the TV to the Denon with an digital optical cable (that I know works because it was originally connected to my soundbar/Samsung). Still no sound.

I decided that maybe I messed up my speaker wire (16g with banana plugs) so I ordered speaker wire with the banana plugs already installed from Amazon to rule out any problems with the wires. Plugged the new wires into the back of the receiver and the 2 speakers and still no sound. I started from scratch and went through the initial setup again, did the speaker test where it asks you if you hear sound coming from the left speaker, etc. and still no sound. I mean nothing, nada, no humming or anything - like these speakers have an on/off button that I haven't pressed.

I have researched and tried various setup options in the Denon, but I don't see where any options would affect the speakers not working in the setup tests so I'm assuming there's something going on with the speaker/receiver connection. Maybe I'm just an idiot and am missing something simple. Do these Polks have on/off switches that I'm just not seeing or something? I'm assuming Polk speakers and Denon receivers are compatible? I'm at my whit's end and out of things that I know to try. If I have to return one or the other, I can return the Denon to Best Buy but the speakers were a gift from my Mom so they're going to have to stay (lol).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to hooking this stuff up so maybe I'm missing something very simple. But I've reached a level of frustration that I just need to get away from it for a bit and see if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 02:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryStorm View Post
Howdy,

For my birthday, I just received 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers and a Denon ARV-S950H. This is my first receiver and speakers of this kind (been using a Vizio Soundbar for the past few years). For the past 2 days, I have tried and tried to get the speakers to work but can't get any sound out of them. I have my PS4 hooked up to the receiver. Video-wise, the PS4 runs through the receiver and is showing up fine on my Samsung TV, but I couldn't get any sound out the speakers (HDMI Arc in the receiver to the HDMI Arc in the Samsung). I did some research and found that the ARC on some Samsungs are "iffy" at best so I connected the TV to the Denon with an digital optical cable (that I know works because it was originally connected to my soundbar/Samsung). Still no sound.

I decided that maybe I messed up my speaker wire (16g with banana plugs) so I ordered speaker wire with the banana plugs already installed from Amazon to rule out any problems with the wires. Plugged the new wires into the back of the receiver and the 2 speakers and still no sound. I started from scratch and went through the initial setup again, did the speaker test where it asks you if you hear sound coming from the left speaker, etc. and still no sound. I mean nothing, nada, no humming or anything - like these speakers have an on/off button that I haven't pressed.

I have researched and tried various setup options in the Denon, but I don't see where any options would affect the speakers not working in the setup tests so I'm assuming there's something going on with the speaker/receiver connection. Maybe I'm just an idiot and am missing something simple. Do these Polks have on/off switches that I'm just not seeing or something? I'm assuming Polk speakers and Denon receivers are compatible? I'm at my whit's end and out of things that I know to try. If I have to return one or the other, I can return the Denon to Best Buy but the speakers were a gift from my Mom so they're going to have to stay (lol).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to hooking this stuff up so maybe I'm missing something very simple. But I've reached a level of frustration that I just need to get away from it for a bit and see if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Make sure the AVR is powered down. Make sure the red terminal on the AVR is connected to the red on the speaker and black to black. Make sure the jumpers (metal bar connecting the top and bottom terminal are in place and tightly fastened as shown in the picture) when connecting the speakers. Make sure your PS4's HDMI is connected to HDMI in, doesn't really matter which one. You'll need a 2nd HDMI cable to go from HDMI out (should be The white HDMI box) to the TV. Turn the AVR on. You'll then need to select the input you plugged the PS4 into with the AVR remote. You may need to change setting on your TV to HDMI as well as your PS4. Once you've done this you should be getting sound. Come back for further instructions once you're hooked up.
https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/playstatio...re-tips-527384
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polk monitor 70.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2583358  

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

Last edited by pase22; 06-23-2019 at 02:36 AM.
post #3 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are you able to get the reciever to play test tones to level match the sound from each speaker? If the connections between the speaker and receiver are correct you should be able get the test tones to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrfan View Post
Are you able to get the reciever to play test tones to level match the sound from each speaker? If the connections between the speaker and receiver are correct you should be able get the test tones to work.
Thanks for the responses. I can not get the receiver to play the test tones. I have the Front Left and Front Right speakers hooked up, go through the speaker setup but when it asks "can you hear the test sound coming from the left front speaker", I hear nothing. I've attached a pic of how I have the connections in the back of the speaker to go along with the pic in the first post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190623_093242_1561297219490.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	5.87 MB
ID:	2583374  
post #5 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 968
I don't have a Denon, but in the setup there should be a "speaker config" and an "assign mode" section (or something similiar). Double check and make sure they are not set to "none" or off, etc. There could be other reasons for not getting the tv sound, but since your not getting the test sound, you should start with the setup or the wiring/ports.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #6 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 08:51 AM

Is the reciever new? I doubt it's an issue with the speakers. Sounds like it's a setup issue with the receiver, it's not wired correctly, or the receiver is broken. You can always try bare speaker wire if you suspect it's the cables. Post a picture of the back if you are able.
post #7 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Howdy,

may i suggest you do a factory reset and see if that works,
is it possible you have a defective receiver? the fact that you arent getting test tones is not good.
i have a denon avr 2400. it took me by surprise when i couldnt get sound without the tv being turned on but the workaround is to power off the receiver before the tv to get sound the next time i turn it on to listen to the radio.
also, consider posting in the receiver forum!

Last edited by pgscubadiver; 06-23-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #8 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Here are pics of my receiver setup. I aslo had an Ethernet cable plugged in but had to unplug it to get the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190623_130018_1561309388668.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	7.03 MB
ID:	2583470   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_130025_1561309426824.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	6.40 MB
ID:	2583472  
post #9 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I can not get the receiver to play the test tones. I have the Front Left and Front Right speakers hooked up, go through the speaker setup but when it asks "can you hear the test sound coming from the left front speaker", I hear nothing. I've attached a pic of how I have the connections in the back of the speaker to go along with the pic in the first post.
Do you have a laptop with an HDMI port that you can connect to the AVR? Try a different source as maybe your PS4 isn't connected properly or settings are off. As a last resort disconnect the speakers while the AVR is on. if you don't get feedback or loud buzz, the speakers are the problem. If you do, it's a connection issue.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgscubadiver View Post
may i suggest you do a factory reset and see if that works,
is it possible you have a defective receiver? the fact that you arent getting test tones is not good.
i have a denon avr 2400. it took me by surprise when i couldnt get sound without the tv being turned on but the workaround is to power off the receiver before the tv to get sound the next time i turn it on to listen to the radio.
also, consider posting in the receiver forum!
I have tried a factory reset. I tried the speaker wire I cut myself (with banana plugs and bare wire) and am now using speaker wires with banana plugs directly from Amazon. I also make changes/try new things with it and turn the speaker off-and-on to see if that resets anything. Nothing has worked. Not a hiss or anything from the speakers. The only thing that comes out of the speakers is the slight hum you get when you put the second plug in (right when the plug touches the metal of the speaker outlet). It's possible that the receiver is a lemon, but with me never hooking a receiver up before, I just assumed it was something wrong with what I'm doing. I'm hoping someone looks at the above pictures and sees where I just forgot to do something simple. I'm not focused on getting sound to the PS4 Pro right now, I'm just trying to get the speakers to make any kind of noise in the speaker tone test. I guess I should have started this in the receiver thread but I wasn't sure what the issue was and I was pretty irritated when I started posting last night (lol). If a mod could move this entire thread over there, I wouldn't mind. Thanks for the help.
post #11 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Do you have a laptop with an HDMI port that you can connect to the AVR? Try a different source as maybe your PS4 isn't connected properly or settings are off. As a last resort disconnect the speakers while the AVR is on. if you don't get feedback or loud buzz, the speakers are the problem. If you do, it's a connection issue.
I've tried my laptop and got nothing. As my last post said, I have disconnected/connected the speakers with the receiver on, and while it wasn't a loud buzz, there is a slight buzz.

I have noticed sometimes the receiver various buttons don't work when using the laptop, such as the SETUP button. I press the SETUP button and nothing happens although the volume buttons will still work. I turn off the receiver and then turn it back on and the SETUP button works again. I've tried playing music from the USB port, and while the receiver sees the music on the USB and I can select to play it, it will either do nothing and eventually say "unable to play at this time" or it will play it (no sound of course but you can see the timer on the song counting down).

Oh, everything is brand new. The speakers were a gift that came from Amazon and I bought the receiver myself a few days ago from Best Buy.
post #12 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've tried my laptop and got nothing. As my last post said, I have disconnected/connected the speakers with the receiver on, and while it wasn't a loud buzz, there is a slight buzz.

I have noticed sometimes the receiver various buttons don't work when using the laptop, such as the SETUP button. I press the SETUP button and nothing happens although the volume buttons will still work. I turn off the receiver and then turn it back on and the SETUP button works again. I've tried playing music from the USB port, and while the receiver sees the music on the USB and I can select to play it, it will either do nothing and eventually say "unable to play at this time" or it will play it (no sound of course but you can see the timer on the song counting down).

Oh, everything is brand new. The speakers were a gift that came from Amazon and I bought the receiver myself a few days ago from Best Buy.
Sometimes there are small plastic protectors on the receiver where the banana plugs go in. make sure the banana plug is all the way in otherwise it's like nothing is making contact with the receiver terminal. You may also want to check that the red and black knobs are screwed in all the way. IT has to be connection issue if all the gear is new.

Last edited by pase22; 06-23-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #13 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Maybe it's just me, but I can't get the image files from any of the thumbnails in the CurryStorm posts to come up.

The image from post 2 appears normally. (It's a fairly small file, less than 100 kB.)

At a guess, the image file sizes are larger than the forum server likes.

My suggestion would be to use the AVR's manual volume setting. It sends a white (pink?) noise signal to each speaker in turn. There'd be no concern about the source; the AVR generates the signal.

Last edited by bobknavs; 06-23-2019 at 10:46 AM.
post #14 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I can't get the image files from any of the thumbnails in the CurryStorm posts to come up.
I'm having the same issue. But if I right click on the thumbnail and choose "open link in new tab" then I can see it in full size.

I am not seeing anything strange in those photos, or at least nothing that would prevent the receiver from playing test tones.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
post #15 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The image from post 2 appears normally. (It's a fairly small file, less than 100 kB.)

My suggestion would be to use the AVR's manual volume setting. It sends a white (pink?) noise signal to each speaker in turn. There'd be no concern about the source; the AVR generates the signal.
Had to use firefox to see the pics.

post #16 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Had to use firefox to see the pics.
I'm a member of that tiny minority that prefers MS Edge. Opening the image in a new tab didn't help.

I also tried Chrome. The image wouldn't open in the main window, but I could open it in a new tab.

I concur that there's nothing obviously wrong with the wiring.

Reading post 1 more carefully, I see that the OP has already run a test that should have eliminated any source considerations. I have no guess what the problem may be.

Last edited by bobknavs; 06-23-2019 at 11:16 AM.
post #17 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Receiver appears to be hooked up correctly as do the speakers. He should be getting sound so the only other thing I could see is the PS3 and/or TV sound settings.

post #18 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 11:30 AM

Go to a thrift shop and find some cheap speakers or borrow something. Just to eliminate the speakers being an issue.

I still suspect the receiver.
post #19 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 573
What model Samsung TV? When you first hooked everything up, did the Samsung ask you if you "New device detected, do you want to set it up now?" or something like that? Who first setup the soundbar? I think a couple settings on the Samsung would have to be changed to get that to work the first time. What is the Samsung "audio source" set at? Maybe talk to BestBuy and see if you could bring the Denon back in and have them hook up a couple speakers to see.
post #20 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 11:48 AM

Can you just unplug the tv and then try the pink noise test tones from the receiver? With my 7 year old Yamaha receiver I don't need the tv connected to setup the speakers. I don't understand what the TV has to do with the OP's current problem since he can't even get the test tones to work unless Denon requires a display to be connected as part of the setup process.

I agree that contacting Best Buy or another audio dealer would be a good idea.
post #21 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

That's a heck of a receiver for what you are wanting to use it for. Wow. Do you see, did you run, the Setup Assistant on the Denon?

Do you have the manual? Look at page 170. What do you see under "Input Assign"?
post #22 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrfan View Post
Can you just unplug the tv and then try the pink noise test tones from the receiver? With my 7 year old Yamaha receiver I don't need the tv connected to setup the speakers. I don't understand what the TV has to do with the OP's current problem since he can't even get the test tones to work unless Denon requires a display to be connected as part of the setup process.

I agree that contacting Best Buy or another audio dealer would be a good idea.
I know. About the tv. Just trying to get the onscreen guide visible to OP. Am I the only one who see the "S's" in your post as a bunch of crazy symbols instead of the actual letter itself? And the OP reply to your post is the same crazy hieroglyphics.
solarrdadd likes this.
post #23 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I have tried a factory reset. I tried the speaker wire I cut myself (with banana plugs and bare wire) and am now using speaker wires with banana plugs directly from Amazon. I also make changes/try new things with it and turn the speaker off-and-on to see if that resets anything. Nothing has worked. Not a hiss or anything from the speakers. The only thing that comes out of the speakers is the slight hum you get when you put the second plug in (right when the plug touches the metal of the speaker outlet). It's possible that the receiver is a lemon, but with me never hooking a receiver up before, I just assumed it was something wrong with what I'm doing. I'm hoping someone looks at the above pictures and sees where I just forgot to do something simple. I'm not focused on getting sound to the PS4 Pro right now, I'm just trying to get the speakers to make any kind of noise in the speaker tone test. I guess I should have started this in the receiver thread but I wasn't sure what the issue was and I was pretty irritated when I started posting last night (lol). If a mod could move this entire thread over there, I wouldn't mind. Thanks for the help.
i reposted this under official 2018 denon receiver thread. think i copied you .
now it is in the 2019 denon thread

Last edited by pgscubadiver; 06-23-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #24 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Try plugging the HDMI output cable into the second output port, and plug the other end into HDMI 2 on the TV.
The Denon may be looking for a sound signal from the TV's eARC port.
post #25 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Try plugging the HDMI output cable into the second output port, and plug the other end into HDMI 2 on the TV.
The Denon may be looking for a sound signal from the TV's eARC port.
it will only look for ARC when audio is being sent and you switch the input to "tv audio" otherwise, it will seek audio from either the HDMI input selected or an assigned analog or other audio source that is assigned to that HDMI input. if that's the PS3 connected to the "game" input, you should be putting both video and audio into that port. you should get sound. but, he's saying no sound at all.

ARC would fall into play when devices are connected to the tv then audio is streamed from the tv to the receiver to hear those devices connected to the tv directly. he would still have to select "tv audio" to hear the ARC audio.

i do notice an optical cable connected, wonder what that's from and if the user gets audio from that.

also, OP, please make sure the receiver is turned off before doing any switching of anything. Lord don't unplug or plug in any speakers while it's powered up. that is a for sure fuse blowing/damaging thing for the receiver. i mention that because in one of the post the OP mentions he heard a hum when plugging in the second speaker or something like that.

it sounds like it's a receiver issue as you should almost always get sound from at least the front L&R speakers.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #26 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...s-1-8-a-5.html

above is the link to the 2019 denon thread
post #27 of 27 Old 06-23-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgscubadiver View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...s-1-8-a-5.html

above is the link to the 2019 denon thread
Just got back from doing stuff with the fam. Thanks for all the help. I'll update my findings in the 2019 Denon thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page